Monday, October 20, 2014Cloudy 6°C
Film

A Toronto map for filmmakers and movie lovers

Posted by Aubrey Jax / February 12, 2014

Visiting Filmmakers Map of TorontoThis map Toronto for visiting filmmakers and movie lovers by local super 8 filmmaker John Porter has been around for quite some time - according to Porter's Facebook, he's been "updating and photocopying this map for 14 years," a.k.a. the entire millennium - but now you don't have to approach him for a Xerox to find out where visiting artists should be hanging out in TO (though you still should - he's super nice).

Porter's 2014 version of the quirky Visiting Filmmakers' Map, now online with an accompanying Directory, is similar to sketchy, individualized maps I've drawn of the city myself over the years for artists and bands highlighting must-hit spots (The Skyline, Trinity's dog bowl, under-picked Goodwills - yeah, be my friend) but is much more thorough: Porter knows his stuff. While the map will tend to keep tourists away from east end jewels like Leslieville, The Beaches, Little India, and most of the Danforth, (plus Scarborough, Etobicoke, North York, etc) everyone has to start somewhere, right?

Essentials like thrift spots, "trendy strips," "Beer" and "Liquor TO" are paired with art supply stores and film hotspots like LIFT, TIFF, Film Buff, and the Metro (RIP). If all this stuff seems way obvious, imagine making a cold call to Toronto and trying to decipher a Google map unaided.

Visiting Filmmakers Map of Toronto

Get the hi-res versions here:

John Porter's Visiting Filmmakers' Map of Toronto
John Porter's Visiting Filmmakers' Map of Toronto Directory

Porter encourages you to "add your own places, copy and colour for friends" - what would you add?

Brock / February 12, 2014 at 10:30 am
Both links are to the directory!
Don / February 12, 2014 at 10:40 am
Oh Snap! I thought this was going to be a map where movie scenes had been shot in Toronto so we can go check them out...
Aubrey replying to a comment from Brock / February 12, 2014 at 10:41 am
Oops! Fixed, thanks!
Brock replying to a comment from Aubrey / February 12, 2014 at 10:41 am
Thank you! :)
asas / February 12, 2014 at 12:09 pm
this downtown focused t o media is the real reason people are surprised their downtown candidate will never win the mayoral race anytime soon. The rest majority of Toronto dont share your tax and waste views of building up downtown and letting the rest of the city rot
E. Toby Coke replying to a comment from asas / February 12, 2014 at 12:18 pm
asas, this is a map for visitors to Toronto. It's a pretty safe assumption that most visitors would stay in the core of the city -- just like one normally does travelling to another city.

Furthermore, the "rest of the city" absolutely benefits from proximity to a thriving hub. It's all interconnected. And the first mayoral candidate to fully grasp that is going to be mayor for life.
Andy L replying to a comment from Don / February 12, 2014 at 12:35 pm
I thought it would be as well. That would have been a cool map to see.
lin ye / February 12, 2014 at 12:43 pm
I don't understand how this map is for "filmmakers and movie lovers"
scottd / February 12, 2014 at 12:49 pm
I love John but this is really HIS map rather than a map for film makers. I suspect this is more of a lifestyle map as its missing studios large and small and many other supply locations.
RG / February 12, 2014 at 02:02 pm
Is it suppose to be a map for prospective* film makers ? As if these are cool site/buildings in Toronto to possibly* shoot at? That is the only way I could make sense of it, since no past movies are listed.
Go back to Kincardine / February 12, 2014 at 04:40 pm
Once again, some dimwit ignores the fact that there is indeed life east of the Don.
Get off your Ass replying to a comment from Go back to Kincardine / February 12, 2014 at 06:13 pm
Feel free to go create one.
dafuqstonr replying to a comment from Don / February 12, 2014 at 08:10 pm
would be cool to see a map of where big name movie scenes were filmed in the city, i can already think of a bunch
Real replying to a comment from asas / February 12, 2014 at 10:53 pm
The actual problem is the mega city and the people that really have no business having a vote or input on the actual original city of Toronto proper putting in their corrupt political puppets in office to ensure 3 SUV's to every home and the 90 lane highways to support them.

Dump the mega city so that Toronto can go back to being a multi cultural, artistically inspired and human rights for all friendly city that people aspire to be in.

Rather than being mastheaded by the burbs latest catch phase laden coked up candidate that fosters hate, bigotry and hypocrisy under conservative ideals while trying to see if he can stay off TMZ for more than 5 minutes for public intoxication.
Jenn / February 13, 2014 at 09:07 am
How I get you to pass on the under-picked thrift stores and still have them remain that way? You can email me, I won't tell!
psn codes list / February 15, 2014 at 02:03 am
If you are going for finest contents like I do, simply go to see this site daily because it offers quality contents, thanks
R-b F--d / February 15, 2014 at 07:41 pm
C'mon a my house, c'mon a my house, gonna give you candy! That's Edenridge Drive, homies, just follow the crowds!
สิวอักเสบ / February 16, 2014 at 01:49 am
My brothher suggested I might like this web site.

He was entirely right. This post trul made my day.
You can not imagine just how much time I had spent forr this information!
Thanks!
paid to click / February 16, 2014 at 06:14 am
Hi! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new apple iphone!
Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts!
Carry on the excellent work!
Best Rob Ford Endorsed Crackhouse / February 16, 2014 at 03:36 pm
15 Windsor Road, Dixon & Royal York...turn left at Somalia and then right. You can't miss it. Ask for Fabio, tell him Mayor Rob sent you! (Yes, I get a % from the Bloods...its my private life!)
สิวอักเสบ / August 26, 2014 at 12:26 am
What's up every one, here every one is sharing such knowledge, thus it's pleasant to read this website, and I used
to pay a quick visit this weblog all the time.