Toronto Music News: K'Naan Song Announced as Anthem of 2010 World Cup, Drake Up for Two Grammy Awards, Great Lake Swimmers Legion Sessions, & More...
In this edition: K'Naan's 'Wavin' Flag' selected as official anthem of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, Drake is up for a pair of Grammy Awards despite further pushing back the release of his debut album, Great Lake Swimmers launch multimedia-rich Legion Sessions website, Crystal Castles recording sophomore effort with Paul Epworth, Pink Eyes talks charity single, Rock Plaza Central to take a short hiatus, Sleep for the Nightlife sign to Easy Tiger Records, and info on Sheezer - an all-girl group covering early Weezer.
Plus: videos and downloads from Olenka & the Autumn Lovers, Ohbijou, Woodhands, Gravity Wave and Louwop featuring Shad and Zaki Ibrahim.
K'Naan track 'Wavin' Flag' Selected as Official Anthem of the 2010 FIFA World Cup
Rexdale-via-Somalia rapper K'Naan has already had a breakthrough year in 2009, releasing Troubadour to widespread critical acclaim. He'll be pushed into the international spotlight this coming June as FIFA has remixed his single 'Wavin' Flag' for use during the Africa leg of the 2010 FIFA World Cup trophy tour, as well as throughout the tournament in television spots and other advertisements. It's an excellent choice for FIFA - the song offers a universal message of hope and perseverance through the eyes of a Somali civil war survivor turned music phenomenon.
Drake Delays Debut Album Release & Receives Two Grammy Nominations
It was a bittersweet week for fans of Drake, as news of his nomination for two Grammy awards comes with yet another release delay for Thank Me Later , his debut full-length. It is now expected to hit shelves sometime in March. Drake's track 'Best I Ever Had' is up for Best Rap Solo Performance as well as a songwriter's award for Best Rap Song.
Louwop ft. Shad & Zaki Ibrahim - 'One Two Check/Get Up (Live)' - (ZIP/MP3)
- Great Lake Swimmers recently launched the Legion Sessions, a digital quest through nine videos, at the end of which we're rewarded with a free download of an unreleased track.
- Rock Plaza Central are taking a short hiatus to allow frontman Chris Eaton to finish his new novel, a pseudo-biography that follows 25 characters all of whom are named after the author. Check out a select few excerpts from the book.
- Wristbands and early bird passes for NXNE 2010 are currently available for purchase. The five-day festival takes place June 16-20, and will feature over 600 musicians and artists, 35 music-themed films and various conferences and sessions.
- Pitchfork has a lengthy interview with Fucked Up's Pink Eyes in which he details the countless contributions to their forthcoming benefit single.
- Sheezer, an all-girl Weezer cover band, will play their first show on New Year's Eve at the Tranzac with Gentleman Reg, The Magic, Jim Guthrie, Diamond Rings and more. Don't worry, they refuse to play anything post-Pinkerton.
- Crystal Castles recently spent some time in the studio with renowned British producer Paul Epworth (Bloc Party, Florence and the Machine). While no further information regarding future releases is currently available, Epworth promises the album will "change the rules of the pop game."
Southern Souls presents Gravity Wave - 'Buffalo Jump'
- While you eagerly await Remorscecapade, the sophomore effort from electropop duo Woodhands, have a listen to a brand new song - 'Pockets' (MP3).
- Ohbijou Live at Hillside - CBC Radio 3 Sessions, featuring some older songs as well as a few from Beacons (MP3, M4A, OGG).
- Olenka & the Autumn Lovers have recorded a Christmas song entitled 'Red and Green Blues,' available for free download in the spirit of the holidays (MP3).
On blogTO last week
- I made my way down to the Sound Academy on Saturday night to check out Phoenix and Holy Fuck.
- Ivy spent her Friday evening reveling in the eccentricities of The King Khan and BBQ Show.
- Gary interviewed Broken Social Scene's Jason Collett about his four-date residency at The Dakota Tavern this month.
- Jennifer offered up her inaugural TTC Busker Profile after getting to know 23-year-old classical guitarist Ronny Cameron.
- Roger reviewed Nitzer Ebb's show at the Mod Club.
- Joe checked in with Chokeules, one-third of London, Ontario rap group Toolshed.
Join the conversation Load comments