What's open and closed on Good Friday 2016 in Toronto
- Government offices (post offices, City Hall and others) will be closed.
- Banks will be closed Friday to Sunday, with most resuming service on Monday.
- Canada Post offices are closed and there is no mail collection or delivery
- Toronto Public Library branches will be closed on Friday and Sunday, but open regular hours on Saturday
- St. Lawrence Market is closed Good Friday.
- The TTC and GO Transit will operate on the holiday service schedule.
Most shopping malls (Yorkdale, Fairview, Sherway Gardens, Scarborough Town Centre, Vaughan Mills) and retail stores will be closed - although select food retailers may be open. Calling ahead is advised.
- The Eaton Centre - 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Yorkville Village - select retailers open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Pacific Mall - 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Promenade Mall - 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Toronto Premium Outlets - 9:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Call ahead to restaurants as many are taking the day off.
Fish and chip shops will be in their element on this customary fish-eating day. Check out our best of list for where to go, or take a look at our directory of Toronto fish and chip shops here.
See also: 10 restaurants to eat Easter brunch in Toronto for 2016
Major chains like No Frills, Fresh Co., Loblaws, Metro, and T&T will be closed, with a few confirmed exceptions listed below:
- Loblaws at Maple Leaf Gardens (60 Carlton St.) - 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Metro (444 Yonge St.) - 9 a.m.
- Whole Foods Yorkville (87 Avenue Rd.) - 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- T&T Supermarkets (9255 Woodbine Ave.) - 9 a.m. to 12 a.m.; (7070 Warden Ave.) - 8 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- Pusateri's (57 Yorkville) - 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.; (2901 Bayview Ave.) - 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Rabba (various locations) - open 24 hours
- Food Depot (155 Dupont St., at Davenport) - open 24 hours
- Bloor Superfresh (384 Bloor St. West) - open 24 hours
- Kitchen Table (10 Queens Quay West) - open 6 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- Kitchen Table (389 Spadina Rd.) - 7 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- Kitchen Table (595 Bay St., at Atrium on Bay) - 6:30 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- Kitchen Table (705 King St. W.) - 6 a.m. to 2 a.m.
- San Remo (74 Royal York Rd.) - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Bloor Street Market (55 Bloor St. West) - 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Galleria Supermarket (865 York Mills Rd.) - 7 a.m. to 12 a.m.
- All Beer Stores and LCBO stores are closed.
- For a complete list of indie bottle shops in Toronto, see this directory. Holiday hours are provided where applicable but we advise calling ahead to confirm.
Did we leave something out? Please let us know in the comments section below.
Photo by Nail Ta in the blogTO flickr pool.