Music open mic nights in Toronto give you a chance to perform your heart out in front of strangers without the commitment of bookings or tickets. Head to any of these bars during the week for your moment in the spotlight.
Here's a roundup of music open mic nights in Toronto by day of the week.
- The Painted Lady starts sign ups at 9 p.m. and lets performers sing a max of two songs. All genres welcomed.
- Amsterdam Bicycle Club isn't really for beginners, but those with a few performances under their belt can sign up at 9:30 p.m.
- Irish pub Dora Keogh hosts Riverboat Mondays at 9 p.m., allowing three tunes per performer.
- For over 30 years, Free Times Cafe has been offering their open mic nights to start the week off. Sign up starts at 7 p.m.
- The Hideout hosts a free open mic sponsored by Amsterdam Brewery. Some instruments are provided here. Sign up is at 8 p.m.
- The Old Nick offers their open mic night starting at 8 p.m.
- Drom Taberna hosts an open mic event every Tuesday, starting at a different time each week. Be sure to check their events calendar.
- Hirut has a family-friendly open mic on Tuesdays. Sign up is at 7:45 p.m.
- Friday Roots and Vibes kicks of their open mic night offering at 10 p.m.
- B-Side Lounge has open mics hosted by local songwriter Kevin Howley. Sign up is at 7:30 p.m.
- Ein-Stein has been hosting its open mic since 2000. Sign up at 8 p.m. or ahead of time by e-mailing the bar.
- The Boat's free open mic starts at 9 p.m. and runs until late on every Wednesday except for the last of each month.
- Watson's celebrates Hump Day with an open mic night starting at 9 p.m.
- Pauper's Pub holds its open mic night on the second floor lounge starting at 10 p.m.
- Grossman's Tavern has a rotating schedule, but will commonly have an open mic night twice a month hosted by Diane Mason. Head here for 8:30 p.m. and stay until 1 a.m.
- There's open mic at 8:30 p.m. every third Thursday of the month at Tilted Dog Pub and Kitchen. Sign-ups start at 8 p.m.
- The Friday Night Blues Jam at Salty Dog is a recurring open mic on a day that doesn't get much love. Jam out to roots music; the show starts at 9 p.m. and runs until 1:30 a.m.
- Your Magic Open Mic at La Rev goes from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. weekly.
- Mackenzies has afternoon open mics from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the first Saturday of every month.
- Sign up online for Supermarket's weekly show Free Fall Sundays, and claim your spot by 7 p.m. sharp.
- The Cavern welcomes solos or small groups of different styles on Sundays. Sign up starts at 8 pm.
- Relish offers an open mic called "Stir it up Sundays". It all kicks off at 9 p.m.
Lead photo by
Hector Vasquez at Relish. With files from Tanya Mok and Jaclyn Skrobacky.