Friday, August 1, 2014Sunny 20°C

New in Toronto real estate: King Charlotte Condos

Posted by Robyn Urback / December 6, 2012

King Charlotte CondosKing Charlotte Condos is "based on a series of designed boxes, all of different types and sizes." What's that? You want to know about the units?! "The boxes stack upon each other, and not necessarily in a fashion that one might initially imagine." Never mind the floor plans. Check out these squares. "It is all very playful, yet incredibly clean and crisp." Hooray, boxes! This new King West condo has all sorts of nifty rectangular shapes... and some other details like boring deposit structures that aren't as fun to talk about teetering squares. Here's a closer look at King Charlotte Condos.

SPECS

Address: 11 Charlotte Street

Total number of units: 232

Number of storeys: 32

Number of elevators: 2

Types of units: One bedroom, one-plus-den, two bedroom, three bedroom

Unit sizes (in square feet): 422 - 962

Ceiling height: 9'

Prices from: $311,900

Parking: $39,900

Storage: $3,950

Maintenance fees: $0.52/sf

Developer: Niche Development, Lamb Development Corps.

Architect: architects Alliance

Interior Designer: ii x iv Interior Design

Amenities: 24-hr concierge, outdoor pool, lounge, party room

Expected occupancy: Spring 2014

King Charlotte CondosTHE GOOD

I really thought I had written about this one before. But no, I must've been thinking of any of these other, seemingly identical King West-area condos. A novice mistake. Nevertheless, King Charlotte has been touted as "The Most Anticipated Addition to King West" (by its developers...who are also behind other King West projects...so take that as you wish), but I assume there must be some sort of very good reason. Stone countertops, maybe?

Well, to begin, this condo distinguishes itself from the King West crowd in that it is not actually on King West. Charlotte Street is a short little north-south route with pretty much nothing but condos, but ample room for the delivery guy to pull over to drop off your late-night Thai food. Steps from the streetcar but not right beside, residents will be treated to a little breathing room when it comes to that inevitable King/Spadina track repair, rush hour traffic, and other fun that comes with living right on an urban downtown route. Essentially right between King and Adelaide, King Charlotte will be steps from great cafes, shops, and restaurants, yet clear of those horrible Entertainment District beats that have a way of resonating into your psyche (and condo unit).

Another King Charlotte plus is that the building is rather narrow (that's what happens when you take a warehouse and attempt to turn it into a home for hundreds of people), meaning that the floor plates are relatively small. Residents can anticipate sharing their floors with five to nine other units, which is not terrible considering some of the more girthy towers rising up across the city. And standard gas stoves are nice. It'll stop here, lest my weariness of this category really start to show.

King Charlotte CondosTHE BAD

You know what'll really push me over the edge when I finally buy a condo? Pictures of models in Victorian crowns. A whole wallpaper of them! I can see it now:

"Hmm, I think I can do better in terms of my mortgage rate. And I know a unit on a higher floor might facilitate easier resale, but I really can't afford it right now. Then again, Mandy is wearing the shit out of that crown. You know what — I'm going for it."

Yes, developers are persistent in their "selling a lifestyle" tactic, which explains the marketing materials brimming with crowned models, shiny renderings, and ostentatious wordage. Granted, it must work or else developers would change their approach. Nevertheless, I, personally need a little more than a promise of an "entertainment oasis" to look past the lack of balconies (for many suites), tiny kitchen walls, and layouts that barely lend themselves to a dining table or kitchen island.

You can get a little more space and a functional kitchen in King Charlotte if you've got the cash, though you'll end up spending the equivalent of what would get you a semi-detatched with a yard (green?! what is green?!) in another neighbourhood. King Charlotte says its floor plans are great examples of "modern, clean simplicity." I say they're bare bones at best. And with so many options in the area and with few distinguishing features, King Charlotte units seem just a dime a dozen.

And I understand why developers of such narrow building would want to maximize livable space ($$$) at the expense of elevator wells — but really, only two elevators for 32 storeys!? I know anecdotally (the best type of evidence) that I would sometimes have to wait five minutes or more when I lived on the 22nd floor in a building with four elevators. So good luck to you, King Charlotte residents, on move-in day or those weeks when one elevator is in service. Some advice: go to the bathroom before you leave for home.

THE VERDICT

I'm still of confused as to which King West condo we're talking about...

King Charlotte CondosWhat do you think? Would you live here? Add your comments to the thread below.

Read other posts in this series via our Toronto Condos and Lofts Pinterest board

?? / December 6, 2012 at 10:32 am
Are they trying to capture a giant mouse on the roof?
Ryan / December 6, 2012 at 10:32 am
Your point about the elevators is well taken. I've lived in a building with 3 elevators for 17 floors and that was just right. I guess the appropriate floor:elevator ratio is about 6:1, so that building should have at least 5.
Shana / December 6, 2012 at 10:46 am
At least the developers are admitting that it's just people boxes. And no, they look exactly as I expected them to - like a glass and steel anthill.
Why / December 6, 2012 at 10:55 am
Had to stop reading due to too much sarcasm. What's the point?
JOhn / December 6, 2012 at 11:00 am
I'm sorry, but a 3 bedroom condo is 962 sq ft? That's utterly insane. I'm currently in a slightly older building pretty near king/charlotte, and I have a 1 bedroom that is 950 sq ft.

For a high-density vibrant community in the city core to be maintained in the long term we need condo units that are practical for families, not just transient 20 something professionals or couples without kids. There's a shortsightedness of city council in not requiring certain numbers of units to be 'family sized' in every building.

I don't have kids and even I can see that this is not a sustainable way to build.
JOhn / December 6, 2012 at 11:02 am
Also let me add that Brad Lamb is responsible for a huge blight on this city simply in order to increase his wallet size.
EW / December 6, 2012 at 11:22 am
This is exactly what the city needed! When does the next Disney movie come out? Perhaps we can go to the wine bar beforehand for braised chicken skins and a $15 3oz glass of VQA!
Joe Tackspaier / December 6, 2012 at 11:48 am
Outside on the street is a complete disaster at rush hour! Street cars lined up from one end to the other on Charlotte st. That's their turn-around route for the king streetcar. That alone is a turn off.
Lorenzo / December 6, 2012 at 11:52 am
Brad lamb is the #1 ranked douche in the city!
Rick / December 6, 2012 at 12:55 pm
Another douche bag build in going up in Toronto. Why the fuck would anyone in there right mind would perfer to live in some tiny, glass box filled with other douches is way beyond my comprehension.

But you know what? There will be lots of idiots scooping these up making Brad Lamb an even richer man.

Look up Mr. Lamb and decide if you'd even consider buying anything from him.

But then again if you covet the oppurtunity to live in a place like this, you deserve to be swindled.

duder / December 6, 2012 at 01:25 pm
Gotta admit that the elevator number is horrible. I'm in a 43-floor building with only 3 elevators, and when one of them is out of service (which is like every friggin day) it takes an eternity. 2 elevators for 32 floors is just a huge fuck you to residents.
cosmosuave / December 6, 2012 at 01:37 pm
Another avenue for foreign investors to launder their money...
Cyril Sneer / December 6, 2012 at 01:45 pm
oh hey, not a single image of the suites! What a fucking surprise.
iSkyscraper / December 6, 2012 at 02:01 pm
Elevator count is related to number of units, not just floors. Rule of thumb in the industry is 1 elevator per 100 units, rounded up. So three makes sense here, although since the building is especially tall and skinny there is a lot of vertical travel compared to, say, a 21 storey building with 12 units per floor. Still, if they use a fast elevator it should be ok. And you can always go to the wacko no-button elevator controls if you really need to optimize.
Steven / December 6, 2012 at 02:07 pm
King Charlotte... - OXYMORON -
Nichole / December 6, 2012 at 03:22 pm
The website has music. Why is that still a thing? I can't even look at your condo if you are forcing me to listen to shitty music.
TypicalTO / December 6, 2012 at 04:06 pm
They keep building this shit because people keep buying this shit. Marketing for buildings like this is voodoo at best, people would buy shit in a shoebox if it was downtown. 3 bed condos won't sell here. Contrary to what a few downtown elites like to think the vast majority of people who want to live here are the kidless variety. So let them have their cheap window wall with a poorly managed maintenance fund condo right in the heart of douchebagville. These aren't alternatives for families who are priced out of the house with a backyard market. What they need is lower density units, close to but not in the downtown core, basically something like St Lawrence Market co-ops without all the utopian BS. Then again that kind of typology doesn't buy Brad Lamb a Bentley to drive his bald head around as King of Condoland.
concerned citizen / December 6, 2012 at 08:30 pm
what a piece of shit
kim / December 6, 2012 at 09:06 pm
This is totally subjective, but that tower is hideously unattractive.
Todd / December 6, 2012 at 09:31 pm
I keep expecting to wake up one day to a condo tower being built right on my face.
Aaron / December 6, 2012 at 10:41 pm
Check out Douchebag Lamb's November newsletter:

"314% - 349% rate of return!. THIS IS HOW THE RICH GET RICH!"

Yeah right Brad, no major correction occurring at all.

Fucking bald piece of shit.
Rick replying to a comment from Aaron / December 6, 2012 at 11:27 pm
Wow seems like this bald P.O.S. thinks he can dupe everyone with some flashy numbers and other horseshit from "credible" sources. What a douchebag fuck, I hope not a soul buys from this decieving cocksucer
AJ / December 7, 2012 at 12:14 am
BJL is a conceited, self-serving, conniving douche.
He thinks he's the king of the city... in reality, he is nothing more than a stuck up prick.
mjb / December 7, 2012 at 08:34 am
Boring architecture and unliveable spaces - let's perpetuate the dullness of the downtown housing supply. Far too much substandard product is getting built in this city. Tiny bedrooms with no space for a bed frame and being able to actually walk around the bed. Zero closet space. Get rid of the idiotic "dens" and make a decent sized bedroom and walk-in closets. These places are so "ghetto".
Brad D-Bag / December 7, 2012 at 10:57 am
I'm the d-bag version of Professor X, I look like the biggest tool in my rolls Royce phantom and my girlfriend is only with me because of my money! Got a problem Toronto??
BAr / January 1, 2013 at 09:59 am
Lots of hate and jealousy directed toward Lamb and this project, are you guys the competition?
New Launch Condo / February 10, 2013 at 05:44 pm
My friend recommended this website to me. it's wonderful!It’s amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often.
Mb / November 8, 2013 at 06:32 pm
I have never come across such a group of haters. Not everyone wants to live in dead ass oakville or Markham, some of us have no interest in mowing lawns and cleaning gutters. They are pricey because downtown land is pricey. Another reason is huge city fee's involved in land development drive the price up. I would love the see the enormous mansions you all live in, something tells me not many of you would comment if you had to post pics of your place. Lastly, no, I do not own a single Lamb property. His quality comparatively is very good, if any of you have actual ever looked.
Cliff / June 19, 2014 at 03:13 pm
^^^^" no, I do not own a single Lamb property ". That's all that needs to be said. No one I know that owns a Lamb property has anything positive to say about it.