Monday, September 15, 2014Mostly Cloudy 13°C
Opening Soon

Dolce Gelato opening soon on the Danforth

Posted by Tim / March 2, 2011

Dolce Gelato DanforthThe Danforth is about to get a bit more interesting. If news that Libretto was setting up shop in the east end wasn't enough, this week a sign went up in the old Kokkino space announcing Dolce Gelato's impending arrival to the neighbourhood. They couldn't have picked a better spot. Gelato options are dire on the Danforth with the closest decent place for the summer-time treat being the Leslieville location of Ed's Real Scoop.

No word yet on when Dolce will be opening its Danforth doors. But there's no rush given reports today that cold weather in this city might last longer than we'd like.

Taylor Seymour / March 2, 2011 at 11:09 pm
On it being the only decent Gelato option available for Greektown, you're wrong. Leonidas, also relatively new to the danforth, has been serving Gelato Factory gelato since it opened last november @ Logan and Danforth. The owner Mary Caravellos has a shop in Leslieville just below my apartment and I think they were 3rd best gelato with EYE last year.
Tim / March 2, 2011 at 11:13 pm
That's true. I had forgotten that Leonidas recently opened a Danforth location. Their gelato is good but they have a small selection and they don't make it in house as you pointed out.
Lazar / March 3, 2011 at 08:29 am
It is a shame. I have been to Dolce several times (once on my own, and the rest tagging along with others), and every time has been mediocre.

Danforth deserves something better.
Arturo / March 3, 2011 at 09:39 am
I have spent countless hours walking these streets in and around 'D4'. The closures are paramount for the Greek community.

Kokkino, The Myth, Pikilia, Euro Crepe Cafe, Bling (which didn't last long) and Iliada, have all closed. Frappe changed hands and Trapezzi seemed to have been closed but is since operational? Dunno what that was about.

I do believe Dolce and Pizzaiolo (moving in where Bling used to be) are going to be good additions. Also, word on the street is, The Friendly Greek is moving to where Pikilia was... excuse me for stating the obvious but your moving across the street... why?

Octavia was the former Kokkino... and across the street was a HOT club back in the day called Imago (where Curves is). Local Co, used to be a furniture and design store. How they managed to stay in business so long is beyond me. Now all the little stores between Pape and Chester are becoming obsolete. Businesses formerly owned by regular folk are dying... are dead.

With big business moving in, the 'D4' I love, is gone... Thank God for Little Italy...
Mario replying to a comment from Arturo / March 3, 2011 at 10:07 am
I've never heard the Danforth referred to as the D4 before. Is that what it's called in Woodbridge?
D replying to a comment from Mario / May 5, 2011 at 07:15 pm
hahaha, my friends and I all grew up just south of Broadview and Danforth and we've referred to it as the D4 for years too.