Friday, September 19, 2014Mostly Cloudy 6°C
Opening Soon

Pizzeria Libretto to open Danforth location

Posted by Derek Flack / January 18, 2011

Pizzeria Libretto second locationPizzeria Libretto looks to be opening a second location - this time on the Danforth. Toronto Life reports that chef Rocco Agostino and owners Max Rimaldi and Daniel Clark are putting the finishing touches on the lease for a space on the east end strip and will be looking to open at the end of the summer.

While last year's opening of Queen Margherita Pizza brought authentic Neopolitan pizza to the east end, given the success of the first location and its sister restaurant, Enoteca Sociale -- voted number one and two in 2008 and 2010 on our annual best of lists, respectively -- one would expect that packed tables and long wait times lie on the horizon for Libretto II. As for why they chose the neighbourhood, Agostino told Andrew D'Cruz that the Danforth is "a great area. There's a lot of foot traffic, a lot of families. It's a real neighbourhood. We're all about neighbourhoods."

No word yet on an exact address or exactly what the menu will look like, but we'll keep tabs on this most exciting development.

Photo by Jen Chan on Flickr.

derp / January 18, 2011 at 07:26 pm
soggiest "pizza" on earth
morga replying to a comment from derp / January 18, 2011 at 07:35 pm
I have never had a soggy pizza from them before and go regularly. I have on the other hand had a wet Pizza, which Neapolitan pizza suffers from, thats just the way they make it in the old country and if you don't like it like that, than you just don't like authentic Neapolitan.
PL may droop a little but by no means is it soggy.If you want a more crispy thin crust than you are looking for a Roman style pizza.
Playter Player / January 18, 2011 at 07:43 pm
The Danforth needs some good pizza and there's a lot of space for rent near Broadview. Here's hoping they pick a location near there.
Jildren / January 18, 2011 at 08:15 pm
This is amazing news!!!
Tanya / January 18, 2011 at 08:50 pm
Fucking yes, go Donlands, go!
Mr. S. / January 18, 2011 at 09:20 pm
Yay! Another place I can line up in Toronto for not a big deal!
Paul Coughee / January 18, 2011 at 09:50 pm
First of all it is the soggiest/wettest pizza, EVER. They use n'ann bread first of all. Its nauseating. Pizzeria Libretto is a place for faccia brutta's.
hurp replying to a comment from morga / January 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm
unless you eat it at a ridiculously fast pace, the center becomes a watery dough/tomato mush.
Matt / January 19, 2011 at 12:24 am
Guys, that's the way this pizza is. Eat it with a knife and fork. It tastes freakin' great, so whatever. And they don't use n'aan bread.
haha / January 19, 2011 at 07:47 am
Guess pizza is a polarizing subject. But, Libretto has some of the best pizza I've ever eaten. You simply need to understand what it is you're eating and why it is that way. Don't like it? 967-1111. :-D
pizzaboy / January 19, 2011 at 05:58 pm
At last! Great pizza is coming to the Danforth!! It's high time for overpriced, boring Il Fornello to be ousted. Hurry up Libretto. Riverdale types are chomping at the bit for some of your fine Italian-style fare.
Ian Sorbie replying to a comment from pizzaboy / January 20, 2011 at 09:08 am
Pizzaboy – when was the last time you had an IL FORNELLO pizza? We have tweaked our pizzas to perfection and as for being overpriced – Libretto’s pizzas range from $10 - $19 and so do ours. I’d be happy to invite you to try a couple of our pizzas with my compliments – just email me at ians@ilfornello.com and I’ll arrange it for you.
Ian Sorbie – President, IL FORNELLO
Ian Sorbie replying to a comment from pizzaboy / January 20, 2011 at 09:09 am
Sorry - had my computer on wrong date - here it is again on today's date!

Pizza boy – when was the last time you had an IL FORNELLO pizza? We have tweaked our pizzas to perfection and as for being overpriced – Libretto’s pizzas range from $10 - $19 and so do ours. I’d be happy to invite you to try a couple of our pizzas with my compliments – just email me at ians@ilfornello.com and I’ll arrange it for you.
Ian Sorbie – President, IL FORNELLO
foodlover / January 21, 2011 at 10:40 am
I was initially very excited to try Cafe Libretto's pizza because of all the press around it - but I must say I don't know what all the fuss is about. It's safe to say that I enjoyed their appetizers more than the pizza itself. Personally, I still prefer Il Fornello's pizza - both for it's crust and variety of toppings - and if you haven't tried the Fig pizza there - it is totally yummy!
Sterling Silver Jewelry / June 24, 2011 at 06:33 am
No, but your question does. It is beyond my ken and patience to address such ignorance, but, it suffices to say that you are dead wrong
Paul replying to a comment from Ian Sorbie / August 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm
Hi Ian

No disrespect to your pizza's, as they are very good in their own right. However, a true neapolitan pizza is something that just cannot be duplicated. The lovely char from a hardwood fired dome oven and the simplicity of fantastic san marzano tomatoes (not sauce) and buttery sweetness of fiore di latte mozzarella culminates to make one of the worlds finest food creations. Its more than a "pizza", in fact the name is the only similarity amongst its more north american creations.
Patiently waiting / September 15, 2011 at 10:13 pm
Does anyone know if this is ever happening and if so when?
Paul replying to a comment from Patiently waiting / September 16, 2011 at 10:43 pm
I spoke with the owner, its under construction. Due to open end of October or early November
Linda / December 15, 2011 at 01:42 pm
I have had consistently made, delicious, real neopolitan pizza in New York. It's never soggy. I've been to Pizza Libretto on the Danforth twice. Opening nite and last nite. They haven't gotten it right yet. The toppings are delicious (the funghi blows my mind), but, as other comments have mentioned, the crust *is* undercooked. I can overlook that, but last night I ordered the "pork belly" pizza and got a pizza with slices of raw pork on top. How that ever made it to my table is a disgrace. I sent it back, it was taken off the bill, but there was no apology from the manager. In fact, the waiter said he was looking for the manager all night in hopes the guy would "do something" for us, and "he's around here somewhere..." How embarrassing. You send something to the table that could make a person seriously ill and there's no responsibility taken? Shameful. This place needs to stop trying to be so trendy and inject a little quality control into the mix.
Doodle / December 29, 2013 at 11:10 pm
PURE GARBAGE! Worst service in the food industry, had us waiting at the door forever when there were plenty of unreserved seats, then our wait at the table was over an hour, to which a complimentary glass of wine was givin to me by the owner, the place was overcrowded, way too loud, couldnt have a nice conversation, just a sea of tables with no thought givin to esthetics. The staff greeted us with sour faces like a disgruntled employee waiting for their parting check. Huge disappointment.