Saturday, November 22, 2014Light Rain Shower 4°C
Eat & Drink

Massive new brewpub coming to the Danforth

Posted by Natalia Manzocco / August 16, 2014

danforth brewpubThe western reaches of Danforth are home to many wonderful things - oodles of delicious Greek food; some great cafes; quiet, tree-lined side streets; a variety of ways to fall into a sugar coma. But until now, it wasn't exactly the city's most notable destination for beer. (Aside, obviously, from the Old Nick. You know I love you, girl.)

All that's about to change with the arrival of Louis Cifer Brew Works, a brand-new brewpub and restaurant ready to take over the former home of Four One Seven at 417 Danforth Ave. The huge space, still in the renovation stages, will act as a pub, a brewery, and a bottling plant all in one. The pub's site says the operators - the same folks behind Cabbagetown's Stout Irish Pub - aim to be open for business by the fall. It's not yet known what they'll be pouring - for now, satisfy yourself with this gigantic animation of a delicious, frothy pint. Mmm, pint.

I hate the only / August 16, 2014 at 06:26 am
Good luck, that spot is cursed.
Mythos Turkmaniotis / August 16, 2014 at 09:08 am
If the spot is cursed, why did Myth manage to survive there for about 20 years? I'd suggest that the failure of other locations after Myth was due to their grandiose and hair-brained ideas which would not be successful anywhere else. One example of that was "Legion" which came right after Myth.
Marie / August 16, 2014 at 09:09 am
Faux French?
1 / August 16, 2014 at 11:04 am
The surprising lack of information about their beer makes me suspicious. I hope we don't see a ton of these "me too" craft brewers who put the product second and end up turning off Ontario's slowly developing taste for craft beer.
Derp / August 16, 2014 at 11:09 am
Louis Cifer? If the play on words is what I think it is, wouldn't 'Lou Cifer' have been a better choice? 'Louis Cifer' is kind hard to roll off the tongue.
w-hat / August 16, 2014 at 11:16 am
Optimistic since this is a short walk to the house. Amsterdam moved in just up the way in Leaside, Left field is coming along just to the south and with the Wren and the Only holding it down bar wise, the East end has its share of special beer places already, so the new guys will need to do things right.
Mike / August 16, 2014 at 12:12 pm
Louis Cyphre was the deliberately punny pseudonym the Devil used in the book Falling Angel and it's movie adaptation, Angel Heart
Please not all IPAs / August 16, 2014 at 01:57 pm
Ah! A cutesy obscure reference to a book and movie. That is slightly boring trivia fodder to tell visitors for years and years. I do hope these beers are not all undrinkably strong IPAs that practically take the enamel off your teeth, with their 89 billion parts per whateveritis of concentrated hoppiness. Uggh.
Bort Bortenstein / August 16, 2014 at 03:14 pm
Clearly the author of this article has never stepped foot into the east end re: suggesting the old nick is the only place with a beer selection. Ever hear of Sauce, The Wren or the Only?
east end / August 16, 2014 at 03:53 pm
Haha the old nick as the east end beer destination? The only and sauce have incredible beer selections. I guess you've never been east of Broadview.
-=Greenlung=- / August 16, 2014 at 05:28 pm
I'd swear that location was a front a few times.
Tmex / August 16, 2014 at 06:01 pm
Interesting to see what they do here. Last place tried to be craft beer but didn't seem to have a concept for know much about craft beer. As for beer on Danforth try Relish, Sarahs, Sauce, The Wren, Morgans, Only Cafe, Brass Taps and soon to be open in the hood Left Field Brewery. Old Nick last I checked was pretty mainstream. Steam Whistle isn't really craft. One beer a brewery does not make.
NickR / August 16, 2014 at 08:34 pm
Not so sure about the branding. The area could use diversity but the marketing needs a rethink.
Erin / August 17, 2014 at 12:50 pm
Hey gang, Erin here (Owner of Stout Irish Pub), Louis Cifer Brew Works is our next project. Happy to answer any questions you guys have. Remember, it just my husband and I, not some big corporation, so I hope you will be there to support our opening!

You can find out more about our project here...http://canadianrestaurantnews.com/canada/beverage-news/devils-in-the-details-with-new-brewpub-from-stout

We are very excited to be in the company of the above mentioned bars on the Danforth and hope that we can add to the neighbourhood to be another choice destination for great craft beer, and that it's not just in the west end.

I'll respond to some of the above comments.

The curse-The place isn't cursed, lol, it just went through a run of inexperienced owners with poor concepts in a massive building.

IPA's-I agree! We are long over due for some well balanced-low octane IPA's and we'll be featuring a collaboration I made with GLB called The Bra Burner Lemongrass and Coconut IPA.

The branding-It's not for the faint of heart Nick.

Check our website out, like us on FB, or let me know if you have any questions.
Mike replying to a comment from Erin / August 17, 2014 at 04:44 pm
Estimated date of opening?
Erin replying to a comment from Mike / August 17, 2014 at 06:16 pm
Beginning of October...ideally ;) You can follow our progress on Facebook!
James / September 3, 2014 at 02:48 pm
Hi Erin-
how did you manage to get a brewery in that space?! - I assume the Committee of Adjustments was involved. What zoning is required etc.
really curious and can't wait to visit.
Greek Girl / September 21, 2014 at 10:38 pm
Erin I do agree that the place is not cursed but to not have known the pervious owners and to comment on there inexperience is a little rude or on there concept 417 was doing great and it if the owner had not gotten sick with cancer and passed it would still be there !!! I wish you luck in such a massive space sounds like your concept may work ;)
bill and liga / October 9, 2014 at 10:00 am
Looking forward to your opening.
Great to have choices on the Dany.

Good luck and all the best.
Toronto Girl / October 9, 2014 at 07:10 pm
Myth did amazing in that location for over 20 years, the past two restaurants that were open after were both by people with zero restaurant experience and big dreams. Legion...or shall I say Davos couldn't even get its doors open for over a year and lasted probably 3 months. 417 was run by a young girl was a make up artist with no experience on how to run a restaurant. If the new owners already have an existing business then I am sure they will do extremely well!
Anyone one know when they will be opening?? I saw the sign go up last week
Toronto Girl replying to a comment from Erin / October 9, 2014 at 07:13 pm
Hey Erin, When are you opening?
Toronto Girl / October 9, 2014 at 07:38 pm
Cursed? I also remember the Myth being in that location for over 20 years and was always busy. The two owners that came after had zero restaurant experience and big dreams. The Legion, or should I say Davos (changed their name twice before they even opened) couldn't even open there doors for over a year and only lasted about 3 months tops. The next restaurant that came was open by a young make-up artist that had no restaurant experience as well. I went twice within 3 months and the menu already changed. They lasted about a year or so. If the new owners already have an existing business then they know what they are doing and will do well!

Erin / October 10, 2014 at 02:54 am
I love everyones passion! Thanks Davy, Toronto girl, Bill and Liga, Greek girl, James and Mike. We will be open the day we give thanks. See you then! Like us on facebook to see the day by day events. Louis Cifer Brew Works
Doodle / October 14, 2014 at 08:15 pm
Wonder about the menu? Website? I like fooood, and good imported beer. Gonna try tonight.