This Week in Food: Bivy opens, Hapa Izakaya, 417 Restaurant and Lounge launching soon, RestoBar Peru, Night it Up!, Seafood in the Sky, Queer Beer Festival
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- Bivy is now open at 1600 Dundas Street West, serving up espressos, teas and pastries. Meals to stay or to go will also be available come September.
- Vancouver chain Hapa Izakaya is set to open in Little Italy this August at 602 College Street – the space formerly occupied by Coco Lezzone.
- Four One Seven Restaurant and Lounge is opening at 417 Danforth next week with the aim of fusing mediterranean and locally sourced ingredients.
- Smoke's Poutinerie is very possibly coming to a neighbourhood near you. Four new Toronto locations are in the works including one in Little Italy.
- RestoBar Peru debuts this weekend, July13th to 15th, at 99 Sudbury. This is the inaugural event for the monthly pop-up that will feature Peruvian faves such as ceviche.
- Night it Up! brings over 100 street food vendors to the Markham Civic Centre (101 Town Centre Boulevard) for an outdoor night market, July 13th to 15th.
- The Stop's Beer Garden series is back this Sunday, July 15th from 1pm to 5pm at 601 Christie Street. This afternoon event features beer by Granite Brewery and food by Fidel Gastro's.
- Good Egg hosts A Beer Class at Thirsty & Miserable (197 Baldwin Street) on July 16th from 6:30 to 8:30pm The cost is $75 to take part in a guided tasting of six delicious beers.
- Chef Matthew Sullivan hosts a Boxed Dinner in Little Italy on Monday, July 16th. This pop-up dinner is priced at $95 and includes 7 courses, paired with select Niagara wines. Boxed Dinners are by invitation only, but you can get in the know for the next event by emailing email@example.com
- The Culinary Adventure Company hosts Seafood in the Sky on Friday, July 27th from 7pm to 10:30pm. Tickets for this one-night event are $125 and available online.
- Foodies on Foot lead two west end tours on Saturday, July 21st. The Junction Food Tour sets off at 10:30am while the Roncesvalles Village Food Tour embarks at 2:30pm. Tickets are available now for $55 and $65 respectively.
- Dishcrawl is holding two events in the coming week. On July 17, bacon-lovers descend on Blue Plate for Bacon Heaven, a five-course bacon-focused meal, while the next day (July 18), the Rosedale Dishcrawl takes place--drinks are not included in the cost, and be sure to register soon.
- Tickets for the 2nd annual Queer Beer Festival are available now. This one day event takes place at the CNE's Bandshell Park on Thursday, July 26 from 4:30pm on.
- Talented chefs are invited to stir up the pot at Soupalicious Toronto, an annual harvest celebration to be held this September at Artscape Wychwood Barns.
- Uber car service will deliver ice cream on-demand today (Friday, July 13th) from noon until 6pm. Order via the smartphone app and get 5 ice creams for $12 delivered to your door.
- The traveling food blogger conference, TECHmunch comes to Harbourfront Centre on Sunday, July 22nd. Registration is open now.
Photo courtesy of Fidel Gastro's