Thursday, October 30, 2014Mostly Cloudy 6°C
Deadpool

Is it deadpool for Toast Restaurant?

Posted by Staff / November 8, 2011

Toast RestaurantFollowing on the heels of Tomi-Kro, another long-serving Leslieville restaurant has closed its doors. While the circumstances surrounding Toast's closure appear to be less dramatic, it's still a blow to the brunch-loving neighbourhood. Details are scarce but Leslieviller is reporting that there was no single reason for the closure, just "a few reasons", none of which were likely "insurmountable".

Toast was in business for almost two decades. It was serving up blueberry pancakes, eggs florentine and its signature cranberry and cream cheese stuffed french toast long before there were many decent food options nearby. Now, of course, newer restaurants like Lady Marmalade seem to be drawing the largest brunch crowds on Queen East but Toast appeared to be still holding its own. But perhaps weekdays, lunch and dinner service wasn't enough to really make it a thriving business.

It's worth noting that there's been no posting on the door and tables and other fixtures still seem to be in place inside. So, here's hoping it might have a second life.

lol / November 8, 2011 at 10:52 am
me and my girl are holding hands and praying right now. one of the best and most under rated brunches in the city.
spugs / November 8, 2011 at 11:47 am
Nooooooooo!!!!!!! sad.
catherine / November 8, 2011 at 11:53 am
Don't despair, the building is still owned by the smarter than smart Carl Stryg (my brother). This location won't be dark for long.

Stephanie / November 8, 2011 at 11:59 am
ooh, say hi to Carl! I still quote him-- from the Tafelmusik Days ("It's opera, I tell ya")
Knoxy / November 8, 2011 at 12:09 pm
Every time I eat here, I love it. Wonderful, low-key, friendly service. Excellent food and a warm, cozy environment. I hope they're merely closed for renos or something.
beefcurt / November 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm
No love lost here. Perhaps it had its hey day, but after two visits I wouldn't return. The first time was mediocre at best. On my second visit my friend got her food, mine didn't arrive. I spoke to the server and she assured me it was coming. Twenty minutes later, I reminded them a second time only to be told that the chef forgot about it. Fifteen minutes later it arrived cold. No apologies, no deductions.

I'll be at Lady Marmalade across the street.
Missing Good Restaurants / November 8, 2011 at 01:12 pm
Damn, I didn't know Tomi-Kro closed! :(

As for Hello Toast, I say goodbye. This place, like a fish caught last week, is long past its prime. One never knows when the place is open. Service is inconsistent. Maybe it will re-invent itself? In its current state, Toast is not a good place.
leslie-lover / November 8, 2011 at 02:08 pm
good riddens to bad trash !
Colm / November 8, 2011 at 07:32 pm
This was a nice little place. I had noticed that it was seeming much less crowded for week-end brunch. I'm not sure they made a sufficient effort to keep giving people a reason to come - they seemed to stick to pretty rigid open / close hours that seemed to expect patrons to work their schedule around theirs.
Matt / November 8, 2011 at 09:42 pm
I wish it were deadpool for the word deadpool.
Love Brunch / November 9, 2011 at 05:35 am
I also believe the restaurant just couldn't keep up in terms of food and service with the ever expanding brunch options in the area. I only visited once and they messed up both mine and my bf's orders and then it took them over 30 minutes to bring us back the correct orders.

The restaurant business is just getting incredibly competitive out there, and with the abundance of options to try out, diners are less forgiving when a restaurant makes a mistake even once. It's sad, but oh well.
tita / November 16, 2011 at 04:13 pm