Friday, October 9, 2015Mostly Cloudy 12°C

Grand & Toy to close its remaining stores

Posted by Derek Flack / April 25, 2014

Grand and Toy TorontoGrand & Toy, once the go-to place for office supplies in Toronto, will shut down its remaining stores over the next few months in response to weak retail sales. The brand will, however, remain in place for online sales, which comprise the vast majority of its revenue today. Founded back in 1882 with its first stores at Bay and Adelaide in 1926, the demise of the bricks and mortar locations doesn't come as much of a surprise given the rise of box-style office supply stores.

Despite being swallowed up by the U.S.-owned OfficeMax chain years ago, Grand & Toy's smaller format stores just couldn't hold pace with its bigger counterparts. According to a report in the Star, only three per cent of Grand & Toy's sales came from walk-ins. I guess that's why spotting a customer in one of these stores was rarer than a UFO-sighting. Still, it's not without a little wistful nostalgia that one bids goodbye to what was once a Toronto fixture.

kioch / April 25, 2014 at 12:38 pm
NOOOOOOOO, I like the $0.10 printing!!!
Simon Tarses / April 25, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I wondered what happened to that chain. Now I know. How sad that this has to happen to yet another Canadian chain.
pbj replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / April 25, 2014 at 12:56 pm
You shouldn't be distraught when brands with inferior products or obsolete business models (like G&T or RIM) struggle financially, whether they're Canadian or not. Progress is a glorious thing!
ya / April 25, 2014 at 12:57 pm
The name was so misleading as a child.
James Teow replying to a comment from pbj / April 25, 2014 at 01:20 pm
Agreed. I would've shuttered the brick and mortar stores earlier what with seeing the impact of Amazon on the U.S. and Canadian market for years now, but at least they are doing it while their online sales are holding the company together.
Gene Jones / April 25, 2014 at 01:42 pm
They missed the FordGravyTrain! Not me, I'm on it at TCHC! FORDMOREGRAVYTRAINS! Taxpayers bought me a BMW! CHAMPAGNE! SERVANT GIRLS! GRAVY!GRAVY!GRAVY! NOT subwayssubwayssubways.
Mike / April 25, 2014 at 01:48 pm
Last time I walked into a Grand & Toy, it looked like it was under renovation, messy and disorganized. When I asked if they were, they said no. Thanks for closing your retail space. It will make way for something better to replace it.
NV / April 25, 2014 at 02:01 pm
Too bad, there goes another Canadian name. Not everyone shops online, some like to actually see and feel what they are buying. Nothing left now but Staples and the dollar store.
flob / April 25, 2014 at 03:00 pm
Good riddance. Overpriced and unwilling to change.
TL / April 25, 2014 at 04:22 pm
Well they still have TDSB as a client I think
W. K. Lis / April 25, 2014 at 04:52 pm
Now I may only see a Grand & Toy on Murdoch Mysteries.
David replying to a comment from W. K. Lis / April 26, 2014 at 02:37 pm
Could be. They both lived on Spruce St, just east of Parliament. Well within Murdoch's fictional neighbourhood.
CM / April 29, 2014 at 12:47 am
The majority of Grand and Toys' business is not consumer based, it's business to business based. They had to make a decision to either compete with the big box stores or pull out all together of the physical stores. Smart decision.
KW replying to a comment from CM / March 23, 2015 at 02:38 pm
That's a great point @CM.

It's certainly a blessing in disguise for consumers, with the cost-savings Grand & Toy has from closing its retail locations, they are passing on those savings by providing better discounts on products off of their website: