Friday, April 25, 2014Cloudy 8°C
Deadpool

Scarpetta makes way for The Chase at Thompson Hotel

Posted by Derek Flack / February 13, 2014

Chase Thompson HotelScarpetta is headed for the deadpool. In a press release sent out this morning, The Chase has announced that it'll be taking over the Italian restaurant's space at the Thompson Hotel sometime this spring. One will recall that Scarpetta Chef Scott Conant rode into Toronto on wave of controversy after publishing an open letter to the city that was alternately perceived to be condescending and a carefully orchestrated PR move. There are so many factors that come into play when a restaurant goes bust, but perhaps Toronto never really warmed up to the star chef?

The Chase, on the other hand, is riding high. Both it and its oyster-first sister restaurant are packed most nights with a notably monied crowd. As is the case with its restaurants in the Dineen Building, this new venture will consist of two offerings. Colette will be an upscale eatery with seating for 100, while Colette Grand Café & Bakery will act more as a grab and go counter for the King West crowd. As the name suggests, the focus will be on French fare.

While it's somewhat surprising that Scarpetta has flamed out, it's not a shock that the folks behind The Chase would target the Thompson Hotel for expansion. They know this clientele and their upscale model seems like a natural fit at a King West hotel with designs on being exclusive and hip.

BillyO / February 13, 2014 at 05:39 pm
I've been here several times, enjoyed my meal every time, sad to see them go. They never seemed fully booked every time I went outside of when it first came on the scene. I guess it was difficult to have two high end Italian restos in close proximity - Buca has always been packed every time I've been.

I've been to The Chase- it'd good but not great. I'd rather keep Scarpetta, and two Chase's is enough for this city IMO (plus the Dineen building totally makes the restaurant what it is - the Thompson is like most higher end hotels with a swank bar/resto in the lobby).
try again / February 14, 2014 at 12:07 am
I didn't find his open letter to Toronto to be even remotely condescending. Self-conscious people did, though, I suppose.
Restaurant Insider / February 14, 2014 at 03:34 am
Rumour is the owner of the thompson hotel wasnt happy with the chase chef or the lack of hype in the hotel. Thompson hotel apparently is also going up for sale due to poor financial management, decreasing sales forecasts and an affluent client base who would rather dine in Yorkville, Bay street or Leslieville. Only a matter of time to see if the new resto in Thompson lasts 6-12 months.
Mike / February 14, 2014 at 09:47 am
Scarpetta was good, sad to see it go.
Astin / February 14, 2014 at 10:17 am
I knew Scarpetta was there, but kept forgetting. Then I'd remember, think, "oh yah, I want to go there." and then forget again.

Much like the Thompson Hotel. Wrong location to stay in mind, and far too precious.

Maybe I'll make it there before they close. If not, there's always the ones in Vegas and Manhattan.
Nathan / February 14, 2014 at 11:07 am
Good luck to The Chase. I imagine a future similar fate awaits them. A restaurant tucked away inside a hotel just off the beaten track. If Colette is going with French cuisine in this location, I immediately recall that Le Sélect is just east down Wellington. Again, good luck with this venture. However, I am sad to see Scarpetta close. The food was good.
DL / February 14, 2014 at 01:15 pm
Remind me to leave my coat at home!
Resident / February 17, 2014 at 12:22 pm
Off the beaten track? You people are morons..it's king west...and the hotel is always packed in the weekends.. Just really bad service & not consistent food.. I live here and eat at scarpetta weekly...it's a shame that they can't get anything right..except for The gm..hard to find staff who are seasoned..let's see what the chase brings...
Nathan / February 18, 2014 at 01:05 am
Actually it is Wellington and Bathurst, not King West. If I wanted baked goods or fine dining I can actually get those on King West, without walking 2 blocks south on Bathurst and entering a hotel off Wellington. The Thompson is not packed on weekends, except perhaps briefly during TIFF.
Ali / February 27, 2014 at 10:31 pm
Scarpetta is our favourite restaurant- we're there biweekly. We've always found the staff to be kind, generous, and attentive. Our food has always been consistent and amazing. We wish the best for everyone working there holding down the fort; we're sad to see them go.
bob / March 4, 2014 at 04:52 pm
i am also sad to see it go. I love the food and staff. Not a fan of the Chase. Amie Katz also tore into them. Should have kept scarpetta. very, very sad. Btw, everytime i am at the hotel on weekends, it is packed.
pete / March 7, 2014 at 09:36 am
so sad to see scarpetta go, that's what happens when a bad location, a bad hotel, and no marketing will do.... you can thank the owners of the Thompson Toronto for this one!
been / April 24, 2014 at 05:25 pm
Phendimetrazine is a serious drug and this is evident from
the side effects it has. The bottom three layers
are the understory, which includes saplings of the taller tree species,
the shrub layer, and the forest floor.