Thursday, October 30, 2014Mostly Cloudy 5°C

The top 69 coffee shops in Toronto by TTC subway stop

Posted by Liora Ipsum / July 22, 2014

ttc subway mapA cup of coffee can be the silver lining in any morning commute, and cafes along the subway line happen to make for ideal meeting spots and act as an oasis for wi-fi on the go. While the core boasts the highest concentration of indie cafes, as the map spreads out you'll find mostly the big chains.

Here are the best places to get your caffeine fix nearby all 69 TTC subway stops.

Get a large version of this map here. And don't forget to download our free iPhone app where you can always look up places nearby TTC subway stops.

See also:

The top 69 bars in Toronto by TTC subway stop
The top 69 cheap eats in Toronto by TTC subway stop

YONGE UNIVERSITY LINE (1)
TTC cafes Toronto

BLOOR-DANFORTH LINE (2)
TTC cafes Toronto

SCARBOROUGH RT (3)
TTC cafes Toronto

SHEPPARD LINE (4)
ttc subway map

ttc subway map

Did we miss your go-to for a cup of joe at a certain stop? Add your suggestions to the comments below.

Deric / July 22, 2014 at 01:09 pm
I look at some, and it's like you just chose the shops closest to the stations - not the best. While I can't speak to all of the stops, I look at the one closest me - Pape ('Tim Hortons').

Pape Station has a small Tim Hortons' built into it, and they make possibly the worst timmy's coffee I've ever had. This map neglects the great coffee at Von Doughnuts around the corner, or at LEAST the Starbucks down the street.
Todd Toronto / July 22, 2014 at 01:19 pm
Okay, now you're just trolling.
Mike / July 22, 2014 at 01:22 pm
I agree with the above. Seems that this was haphazardly put together
Bro / July 22, 2014 at 01:25 pm
Starbucks, Tim Hortons? McDonalds? Really now?
lejardinbleu / July 22, 2014 at 01:27 pm
Black Camel is clearly the best coffee spot near Rosedale station.
Jake I / July 22, 2014 at 01:32 pm
Tim Hortons is not coffee. But I like where you are going with this list.
EC / July 22, 2014 at 01:44 pm
Man, my friends and I have been dying to check out that Starbucks by Bessarion station.
Deric / July 22, 2014 at 01:46 pm
I'm quite sure that someone at BlogTO opened Google maps, searched for 'Coffee' near every subway station, and if there wasn't something obscure, they put Timmy's or McD's.

you can do better guys...come on now.
Winston / July 22, 2014 at 01:51 pm
Hula Girl at Dundas West is a noble choice. But if you're going for absolute closest coffee location, there's a McDonald's right in the station. And quite frankly, McD's regular coffee (not the McCafe stuff) ain't too bad and cheap.
Alex / July 22, 2014 at 01:52 pm
Isn't the Green Beanery the organic coffee shop that is linked to funding a climate change denying group?
the6 / July 22, 2014 at 02:01 pm
I work close to Islington Station and there is a Second Cup there and their americano is not that bad, and much better than anything tim horton's could come up with
Ry / July 22, 2014 at 02:07 pm
I like Hula but I'd also submit Belljar as pretty awesome for Dundas West.
Mike / July 22, 2014 at 02:12 pm
While I like the concept and these maps you're making. You guys have to put some more work into it. Just throwing out Starbucks and Tim Horton's is screaming "FUCK IT I'M JUST GOING TO PUT SOMETHING DOWN BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO RESEARCH AND FIND A LOCAL JOINT." Listen to your readers, please.
Nash / July 22, 2014 at 02:22 pm
McDonald's, Tim Horton's, Starbucks, Second Cup... Really original...
Ali / July 22, 2014 at 02:23 pm
Bull Dog Coffee (logo resembles starbucks accept a dog in the middle not a lady...) Near Eglinton Station. Best espresso & lattes! 2 blocks East from Yonge/Eglinton on South side
Stephanie replying to a comment from Alex / July 22, 2014 at 02:26 pm
Yep. Really surprised to see Greenbeanery on this list.
Heather Dougherty / July 22, 2014 at 02:27 pm
I believe that Toronto Coffee and Tea House at Lansdowne Station is an excellent caffeine watering hole. It is also a stones toss from the East side Lansdowne exit. That being said I must go find and try this Wallace Espresso! Mmmmm coffee.
Daniela / July 22, 2014 at 03:05 pm
A lot of the choices in this list are a big let down. Some of your lazier lists in a long while, BlogTO.
Brent / July 22, 2014 at 03:21 pm
There appears to be some duplication.
8 Tim Hortons stations (4 on the Tim Hortons line -- er, the SRT)
4 Starbucks stations
3 Second Cup stations
Zi / July 22, 2014 at 03:26 pm
I Deal Coffee named as Lawrence station's coffee shop sucks donkey dong. They sell awful coffee, the mochas are made from swill, the staff are pretentious twits and the customers are the biggest jerks in the neighbourhood. I'd recommend the Starbucks across the street from the station's main entrance as the better shop. And it is closer. I Deal is a kilometre walk away from the north entrance and not worth the stroll. Seriously, go to the Patisserie Sebastien has better treats and tastier coffee if you don't like Starbucks.
Zi replying to a comment from Ali / July 22, 2014 at 03:27 pm
Sadly, Bulldog is no longer here. It's now a bubble tea shop.
Irene / July 22, 2014 at 03:32 pm
Wibke's Espresso Bar is best for coffee and pastries at Jane Station. No competition. Coffee Tree is great for lose leaf teas and has decent for pastries/snacks...but their coffee is pretty awful.
oh cool! / July 22, 2014 at 05:35 pm
I've been hearing about this "Starbucks" place for a few months now but have been wondering where to find one. Thanks Blog.to!!
ohemgee / July 22, 2014 at 06:07 pm
Once again, you guys have made a god awful list. Tim Horton's? McDonalds?
Bee / July 22, 2014 at 06:18 pm
This isn't a "best of"... if anything, now I know to pick-up my coffee before heading too far out of the core.
Grace / July 22, 2014 at 06:23 pm
You forgot Le Gourmand at Queen & Spadina
Jpj / July 22, 2014 at 06:44 pm
Cafe Supreme at North York? Hmmm, never heard of it and the website links to a Gucci handbag store...
Tim / July 22, 2014 at 11:56 pm
Thanks for your comments everyone. While you might think we put Starbucks or Tim Hortons on the map because we were lazy the reality is that we had numerous people involved in putting this list together including someone who scoured all around the Scarborough RT stops and the green line where many of the chain names appear.

We tried our best to put a chain alternative where it made sense but we felt in all of these cases there wasn't a better non-chain option anywhere close to the station.

That said, we'd love if anyone could present alternate options to the stops where Timmies, Starbucks, McDonalds etc are currently mapped. I see many "the list is lazy" type comments but aside from Pape station (Von Doughnuts was mentioned as a better option on our Facebook page) I don't see anyone suggesting alternatives to the big chains at any of these stops.
JC / July 23, 2014 at 07:52 am
Don't listen to the haters - the 'best by subway stop' theme is a good one. Obviously if you have Second Cups in there that will raise hackles, but at least it might prompt someone to post a hidden gem. Otherwise, haters, stop complaining.
Local / July 23, 2014 at 08:42 am
Patisserie Le Cigogne is actually closer to Greenwood station than to Coxwell. Unfortunately the best option closer to Coxwell is Tim Horton's or Mcdonald's. That said, Patisserie is worth the walk for a ham and cheese croissant.
Mark Lapasa / July 23, 2014 at 09:26 am
If you are going to make a map of coffee shops, make it a map of shops you've actually visited and checked out. Clearly you've excluded Rooster Coffee. Black Canary is good but the art is better at Rooster.
Sandman replying to a comment from Irene / July 23, 2014 at 10:19 am
@Irene, you would be wrong.

Coffee Tree is the right choice.

Stepping out of Jane Station, how can you not be seduced by the smell of coffee beans roasting from the Coffee Tree?

Amazing coffee & lattes.

And, I wouldn't be surprised if they both use the same pastry company (so that nullifies that point)
valerieinto / July 23, 2014 at 10:42 am
I think chains on these subway lists more indicate that there isn't a heck of a lot around that stop, and if people think there is, they can suggest places. I think the same lack might apply for picks I might not like (i.e. Mercurio for St. George - but there's just the Tim's otherwise, right? Am I wrong?).

Gotta disagree with Green Beanery at Bathurst, though. Dubious ethics or no, have never cared for it. Much prefer the CSI Coffee Pub.

Of course, all Sam James picks are fine by me! :-)

Dave / July 23, 2014 at 11:09 am
Finally a reason to get on the Sheppard line - I'd love to try out that McDonalds @ Leslie Station
the lemur replying to a comment from valerieinto / July 23, 2014 at 11:37 am
I war trying to think of something better than the Green Beanery (not hard) that was even remotely close to the subway. Thanks.
Etobican / July 23, 2014 at 12:29 pm
Islington station has a cafe inside of it that serves coffee and pastries (Cafe to Go). And the closest chains are Second Cup and la prep, about half a block away. Getting to the nearest Tim Horton's involves walking seven blocks. A simple Google search could have told you this.

Similarly, the Dundas Street Grille is on the opposite side of Dundas from the first Starbucks you run into coming out of Kipling station, and the coffee is amazing diner-style coffee. The DSG is kind of a local landmark - I'm surprised anyone from the area wouldn't know about it. On Kipling proper, there's also Ovens Fresh about two blocks south of the station, which does a perfectly decent cup. The Sweet Gallery is one block east on Bering (itself one block south of the station on Kipling), and does coffee as well.

To be honest, it looks like a pretty low standard of research went into this article for most of the stations outside of the downtown core.
B. Ross Ashley / July 23, 2014 at 04:08 pm
The choice at Eglinton station certainly does not fit the "closest shop" model, as there is a Second Cup inside the station, another at Eglinton and Holly, a Starbucks at Eg and Holly, an Aroma in the Yonge-Eglinton Centre, two Timmies locations a short walk away and various other caffeineries around also. The choice of de Mello Palheta interests me, I'll have to try it.
Pat / July 25, 2014 at 09:51 pm
Remove the Starbucks and Timmy's because those are chains, with Starbucks even being non-Canadian. Second Cup is the maximum to include, because it is still local with its style and its history. These kinds of projects are to be and expected to be promoting local and indie businesses of the category focused on, such as coffee. There are a lot of them out there, so focus on them and help them!
Alconleigh / July 30, 2014 at 08:59 am
OK, first of all, might want to rethink putting Green Beanery on this list, unless climate change denial is your jam.

Second, I'm just about to change offices to right near Islington station, and telling me there's a Tim Hortons is NOT helpful. I mean, come on, there's at least one Second Cup in that area.
s / July 30, 2014 at 12:11 pm
Scarborough... apparently BlogTO thinks it's the Mecca of Tim Hortons! LOL!
Nikki / August 1, 2014 at 03:00 pm
Cute idea. :)
Wish it would have been more thought out with no duplicates - as Tim Hortons seems to be on here a lot hahaha, but the idea is great to map it out like this. :)
Nikki replying to a comment from oh cool! / August 1, 2014 at 03:02 pm
LOL!!!
Sherry / August 22, 2014 at 03:59 pm
I agree with Davisville's! Rachel's is definitely not the closest to the station (Starbucks, Tim's, & Second Cup are all closer) and it's a great locally owned little shop.
Wu / September 15, 2014 at 11:39 am
Caffeine can effect on human aggressive behavior. Consuming it in excess has drawbacks; you may experience side effects like irritability, nervousness and even anger and confusion. Your consumption is probably causing you more harm than good. It could lead to bad relationship to people around you like family, Boyfriend/girlfriend, co-workers, etc.