Saturday, April 19, 2014Sunny 1°C

High Park cherry blossoms 2012

Posted by Staff / April 14, 2012

High Park Cherry Blossoms 2012When the High Park cherry blossoms hit full bloom, you know spring has arrived in Toronto. A yearly tradition, the pilgrimage to shoot the Sakura trees — a gift from the Japanese Ambassador to Canada in 1959 — is rite of the season for hordes of local photographers. And while the scene doesn't tend to change much from year to year (aside from the increased number of visitors), the excitement that accompanies the promise of warm weather to come is always palpable. And besides, who can really tire of such pretty photos?

The timing this year is fortunate in that the ideal period for Sakura Hanami (cherry blossom viewing) falls on a weekend. There are sure to be crowds at High Park when the sun is out, so if you're looking for that perfect people-free photo you best arrive early (or try your hand at the Content-Aware Fill tool in Photoshop CS5). For more on the history of the cherry blossoms and viewing tips, check out this helpful site.

Last year, we focued on the photographic spectacle of the tradition. This year we just hope the weather holds out. If it does, we'll be sure to add additional photos to the collection below. So send your snaps to the blogTO Flickr pool. Happy spring! Lead photo by Stephen Joniak.

UPDATE (Monday, April 16): More photos!

20120416-stevejoniak.jpgSteve Joniak

Stephen Gardiner

20120413-CB-barbs.jpg

Barbs

PREVIOUS YEARS

Compiled by Roxanne Hathway-Baxter and Mariam Matti

Sharon / April 14, 2012 at 02:06 pm
Absolutely stunning!!! I love cherry blossoms and these photographs depict them beautifully!
max / April 14, 2012 at 02:09 pm
It pretty much is the same every year, isn't it? However, I'm so glad it is. I love spring. It's so nice to stop in the park at some point during this week, take a few deep breaths and enjoy the flowers.

Here comes summer!
Piotr / April 14, 2012 at 02:26 pm
Cheers for including my photo!
W. K. Lis / April 14, 2012 at 02:58 pm
Trees? Humbug! They should just pave paradise and put up a parking lot, with a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swinging hot red light district, just as Mammoliti wants. Then we can take all the trees and put them in a tree museum, then charged the user a fee of a dollar and a half just to see 'em, as a new revenue source, just as the Ford brothers want.

Kidding. Seriously, I'm kidding. Undo, undo, where's the undo key?
cherry / April 14, 2012 at 03:41 pm
was there yesterday, it was awesome, only downfall there were so many people there.
agence / April 14, 2012 at 04:34 pm
It was beautiful! But why do so many people drive there?
dee / April 14, 2012 at 04:46 pm
What a coincidence, I just came back from the park this afternoon!! For a couple of hours there the sun was shining on the blossoms, making for beautiful shots. Lots of people were out, but it was still easy to find a little bare spot on the grass to sit and enjoy the view. Really beautiful, I urge everyone to go now before the rain hits, the blossoms are at peak bloom and rain may damage them!
Steve Joniak / April 14, 2012 at 06:40 pm
Thanks for posting some of my photos! Love living near the park and getting to witness this every year to the point where this year decided I wanted to create a site devoted to the event (which I think should have been done by now) - would it be possible for me to link to it with you guys somehow?
itsthebean / April 14, 2012 at 07:31 pm
Great photos! It was packed the past couple of days in the park. So nice seeing all sorts of people out and appreciating the beauty of the Sakura! I go every year and love it!
cd / April 15, 2012 at 05:14 am
its such a shame that there are droves of people coming now. it really takes away from the serenity of it all.
crc replying to a comment from cd / April 15, 2012 at 08:51 am
yes I too want to be forever alone in a city of millions. all these people discovering things that were once my secret. it destroys me.
Alison replying to a comment from crc / April 15, 2012 at 12:01 pm
I just laughed coffee out my nose. You are so right.
Syncros replying to a comment from cd / April 15, 2012 at 01:40 pm
If you time it right, you can get the hill to yourself. I went on Wednesday afternoon and there were some people there, but every once in a while it was empty and serene, http://www.flickr.com/photos/syncros/7072804703/sizes/o/
jcoombs / April 16, 2012 at 09:12 pm
While visiting please think about wandering down to the High Park Zoo, and contributing a few dollars while there. The zoo is located directly east (slightly south) of the grenadier cafe parking lot. Due to budget cuts this amazing 100 year old inner city zoo is slated to close in June. Fundraising underway. Save High Park zoo.
Dian / November 7, 2013 at 12:17 pm
Hello there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick
shout out and say I truly enjoy reading through your
articles. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same subjects?
Thanks a lot!