Toronto Music News: Haiti, Je T'aime Benefit Show Announced, Fucked Up's Ben Cook Teams Up With Jonas Brothers, Elliott Brood Score Film, & More...
In this edition:
The Hoa Hoa's - 'Wasting Time'
Haiti, Je T'aime Benefit Show
Revival will host Haiti, Je T'aime on January 25, with all proceeds going to Plan Canada in an effort to raise funds for the earthquake-torn country. The evening promises DJ sets from Eon of Bedouin Soundclash, k-os, Brendan Canning of Broken Social Scene, Blk Btlz, Starting From Scratch and DJ Paul E Lopes with MTV's Nichole Holness and Aliya-Jasmine Sovani hosting. The live auction features fifty different items to bid on, including kicks signed by the entire Raptors team, concert tickets, jewelry, gift cards and more. Doors at 8 and a $10 minimum donation is required at the door, with the auction closing at 11:30 sharp.
Fucked Up's Ben Cook + Jonas Brothers
The Bitters/Fucked Up guitarist Ben Cook landed himself a side-job in the Disney movie Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam, playing drums in the Jonas Brothers' backing band. In a recent interview, he talks about the experience and how he's disappointed that the release is going straight to DVD. In related news, Fucked Up and Matador are auctioning off test pressings of their forthcoming singles compilation Couple Tracks through eBay, with all proceeds going to Doctors Without Borders.
Forest City Lovers - 'If I Were a Tree'
Elliott Brood score Grown Up Movie Star
Elliott Brood have written the music for the film Grown Up Movie Star, which will premiere at Sundance in Utah later this month. Directed by Adriana Maggs and set in Newfoundland, the film stars Shawn Doyle of HBO's Big Love as a drug-addled former NHL star who realizes he's gay after his wife leaves him to raise his two daughters on his own. It will open in select theatres in Toronto and St. John's on January 29. The trio are also featured on the latest National Post In Studio Podcast (MP3).
K'Naan Featured on Upcoming EP from British Rockers Keane
Keane's upcoming EP Night Train features a pair of unlikely guests - Japanese Baile Funk MC Tigarah and rapper K'Naan. The Somali/Canadian musician is featured on two tracks on the album, which will be released digitally and on CD May 10.
Great Lake Swimmers - 'Concrete Heart' (Legion Sessions)
- Aux.tv has posted photos from Owen Pallett's Heartland release show at the Mod Club last week, and Exclaim has a show review as well as an interview in which Pallett reveals he almost changed his name to Skylord.
Basia Bulat - 'Gold Rush' (Live at Trinity St. Paul Church)
Hawksley Workman - 'We Dance To Yesterday'
Holy Fuck Interview on Side B - No More Speeding Tickets
On blogTO last week
- Tim shared Episode 6 of Late Night in the Bedroom, which features a rooftop performance from Evening Hymns.
- Jennifer profiled TTC busker and sax player Sady T.
- I checked out the Julie Fader, Daniel Romano and Andrew Sisk show at the El Mo, which featured guest performances from the Romano Family, Sarah Harmer, Graham Walsh of Holy Fuck and many more.
- Maria reviewed Basia Bulat's performance at Trinity St. Paul's Church on Saturday night.
Lead photo of k-os by Jerrold Litwinenko.
Join the conversation Load comments