Late night eats at Nuit Blanche 2012 — a guide to restaurants, pop-ups, food trucks, cafes, and rest stations open late for hungry art-goers
Nuit Blanche can present a bit of a food problem. Like, how do you get it at 3:00 a.m. without lining up for an hour and missing some mind-altering light installation? Well, to start, it helps to know what's available. So here's a guide to some of your best bets to stay fuelled during your all night art odyssey.
POP-UPS & STREET VENDORS
- Vendors of Market 707 at the Scadding Court Community Center (Dundas, east of Bathurst) will be staying open late including; Kim's A La Cart , La Papusa, Ceviche 707 and Casbah who will be open from midnight until 3am, The Snap Pea and House of Jaffle will be open until 4am and Kanto and Gushi who will be open from midnight until 6am and 7am respectively.
- Los Angeles' The Detox Market will pop up for two hours from 10pm until midnight at 367 King Street West near Peter Street to provide a "warm up" rest stop serving up hot chocolate by Taza Chocolate.
- The Gladstone Hotel will be serving up a Late Night Menu until 2am in the Melody Bar. As well there will be a special burrito pop-up bar served out of the Art Bar window from 9pm until late and grab-and-go sandwiches available in the CafÃ© from 2am-4am.
- Three Oliver and Bonacini-owned restaurants will be serving up $5 Nite Bites from 9pm until midnight (or until they run out); O&B Canteen (King and John), will be serving fish tacos with Baja slaw, Bannock (Queen & Bay), is promising smoked ham and split pea soup, and, at Jump (18 Wellington), in the courtyard, there will be Neil's Terlingua chili with jalapeno cheddar
- The Junction Flea will be set up at King and Peter streets offering eats from vendors SNACKS, FeasTO, Manual Labour Coffee and Lindsey Bakes. All from a huge candlelit table, no less. Sounds nice.
- Our best of list for 24hr restaurants is a good place to start and of those featured, the ones central to Nuit Blanche activities are likely The Lakeview, 7 West, The Thompson Diner, Fran's, and Vesta Lunch.
- Also of note, are late-night go-tos like Fat Bastard Burrito, Smoke's Poutinerie (578 Queen Street West), open until at least 3:30am, Poutini's (1112 Queen Street West), open until 4:30am, Barton Snacks (1120 Queen West), Shanghai Cowgirl (538 Queen Street West), open until 4am and 416 Snack Bar at (181 Bathurst Street), open until 2am.
- The Drake Hotel (1150 Queen Street West) is hosting a Nuit Blanche house party and will be serving beverages until 4am.
- Several establishments in the St. Lawrence Market area will be open late, including; C'est What? (67 Front Street East), open until 2am, G for Gelato (73 Front Street East), open until 1am and The Jersey Giant (71 Front Street East).
- And, on Yonge Street a number of business are keeping extended hours, including Paramount Fine Foods (253 Yonge Street), open until 5am, Juice Rush (10 Dundas Street East - 3rd floor), open until 4am, Johnny Rockets (22 Dundas Street East), open until 3am.