Wednesday, October 1, 2014Cloudy 15°C
Music

Sonic Boom stores to merge in new Spadina location

Posted by Aubrey Jax / May 29, 2014

Sonic Boom TorontoSince Honest Ed's announced its looming closure (slated officially for 2016), Toronto music fans have been curious about the fate of the Annex Sonic Boom location in the Ed's building. Today, Boom made a jaw-dropping (mic-dropping?) announcement: the Kensington Market and Annex locations will merge in October 2014 at a new location on Spadina in the Robertson Building, where the American Apparel trash heap -- I mean temporary outlet store -- has been since last year.

After 13 years in the Annex, Jeff Barber's Sonic Boom, one of best vinyl record shops in Toronto and Canada's largest indie record store, will re-open in the 12,000 sq foot space at 215 Spadina where it will continue to sell new and used records, CDs, DVDs, and cassettes, plus assorted music merch and equipment. The space will also keep on Sonic Boom's tradition of hosting live in-store concerts, and undoubtedly the lower level at 215 will have that delicious basement show feel. Boom will join the Centre For Social Innovation and Dark Horse in the building.

Pat / May 29, 2014 at 01:56 pm
whats more of a trash heap? american apparel clothes or cds?
A / May 29, 2014 at 01:57 pm
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
nv / May 29, 2014 at 02:00 pm
Aubrey replying to a comment from Pat / May 29, 2014 at 02:01 pm
Did you ever touch anything in the AA $1 bin? I'm still freaked out.
Colin / May 29, 2014 at 02:05 pm
This is really cool news. Change is good. I hardly make it to the Annex, I feel like I'll visit this new location way more. It's got plenty of room on the main floor and basement, I'm sure it'll be awesome. Hope they can still have in-stores.
Andy / May 29, 2014 at 02:06 pm
Is this what they call in the industry "down sizing" or "right sizing" the business?

Will be a loss for the Bloor Annex area and Kensington for sure.

Not sure how I feel about the Spadina location, but kudos for keeping the music dream alive!
Josh / May 29, 2014 at 02:09 pm
Hopefully they'll do well here. I've always found this location to feel strangely out of the way - despite it's location on one of the city's biggest streets. I think lots of folks avoid try and avoid the craziness of Chinatown - though maybe it's just me.

If I were them, I'd try a location near Bloor / Ossington - catch the hipster bakerbot kids, and stay on the subway line.

Mike replying to a comment from Andy / May 29, 2014 at 02:11 pm
It's call neither - it's called Honest Ed's closing.
JoeCarter / May 29, 2014 at 02:18 pm
The space is pretty huge. I loved how close the Kensington location was to my house but this looks like a smart, permanent placement for SB. Looking forward to it. Chinatown's back, baby!
Andy replying to a comment from Mike / May 29, 2014 at 02:26 pm
Its called Honest Ed's closing one location yes NOT Honest Eds closing both locations and moving them to one. Two was one to many really. Good Move.
Paul replying to a comment from Andy / May 29, 2014 at 02:30 pm
Kensington location was Vinyl only, and the Annex location was VINYL, CDs, BLU-RAY & DVDs. It is a downsize by one full location. They are closing up one shop and moving the Vinyl only to the full store.
v79 / May 29, 2014 at 03:30 pm
Are people here honestly lamenting the loss of a store that's moving 4 blocks south east? How inconvenient. I guess Spadina isn't derelict enough for some Kensington dwellers.
Tammy replying to a comment from v79 / May 29, 2014 at 03:55 pm
Not lamenting the move at all, just saying were loosing a Sonic Boom location :(

We used to have two, now we only have one :(

I will enjoy the new location as much as I enjoyed all of their previous locations :)
Welshgrrl / May 29, 2014 at 04:04 pm
This is great. While I'll miss Sonic Boom in the Annex, Kops will still remain across the street on Bloor, and the space SB is taking over on Spadina is massive and very near Queen West. Great location!
Vinyl man / May 29, 2014 at 04:13 pm
It means nothing to me, the place is one of the biggest rip offs in the city for vinyl. Only dummies who don 't know any better shop there. Way overpriced and snotty staff.
me / May 29, 2014 at 05:42 pm
Nonononononononononononooooooooo
nb / May 29, 2014 at 05:58 pm
I hate going downtown.. this is the end of sonic boom visits for me.
REMINDER / May 29, 2014 at 07:56 pm
Don't cycle with earbuds in!

It's very dangerous to cut off one of your senses while riding your bike. If you're concerned about your safety around cars and other cyclists, do yourself a favour and leave the earbuds out!
Jacob / May 29, 2014 at 09:08 pm
Hmm... dunno how to feel about this.

It's a nice space, but it doesn't really mesh with the neighbourhood. One of the nice things about Sonic Boom was it was just one destination amongst many for a nice walk. Now it'll be sorta isolated.
Dan replying to a comment from nb / May 29, 2014 at 09:27 pm
So you never visited either of the Sonic Boom's since they've always been downtown?
Sean / May 30, 2014 at 12:21 am
cassettes?
Reg / May 30, 2014 at 09:27 am
NO MORE DOWNSIZING!
:-) / May 30, 2014 at 11:54 pm
:-)
dan d worldwide / May 31, 2014 at 08:28 am
Bad News - the kensington location is great because it's vinyl only.
James / May 31, 2014 at 08:58 pm
I am just glad Honest Eds 100 year old trash jumble sale will be closing down finally
d:-) / May 31, 2014 at 10:58 pm
d:-)
John / September 9, 2014 at 10:47 pm
Space,lots of space! This is an awesome space in an unpretentious area of the city. Chinatown,
downtown Chinatown!

Nidia / September 26, 2014 at 10:45 pm
It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd certainly donate to thhis excellent blog!
I suppose for now i'll settle for book-marking and addkng your
RSS feed to my Google account. I look flrward to fresh updates and will talk about
this site with my Facebook group. Chat soon!