Sunday, September 21, 2014Mostly Cloudy 19°C
Music

Breakout Toronto Bands: Moon King

Posted by Erin Scholz / November 26, 2012

moon king toronto bandBreakout Toronto Bands features local artists that we think you should give a listen to.

Who are they?

"I originally based it on three characters from popular culture: Bart Simpson, Peter Pan, and to a lesser degree Robin Hood. So the Moon King band is a group of merry tricksters — fun-loving but able to take care of some pretty serious biz," explains Daniel Woodhead. And while his description of the project might leave some scratching their heads, a listen to the songs offers a trip into his brain that quickly connects the dots.

Woodhead, 24, writes and produces the songs, and is often joined by childhood BFF and Spiral Beach partner in crime Maddy Wilde (they grew up a few blocks away from each other in the Annex).

"I started writing new songs around the end of 2010, for no reason other than I was frustrated and needed an outlet. Me and Maddy's old band had broken up in 2009, and I had spent much of my time just wandering from place to place and project to project after that," Daniel shares. The result of that anxious boredom was Moon King.

They sound like...

It'd be fair to say that Moon King's sound is in flux right now. While they originally put out two-minutlong fizzy pop-punk tunes, they're now expanding the instrumental sections and polishing up the production on more recent offerings. As far as influences go, Daniel's involved in a number of projects at any given moment, and it's easy to hear the crossover.

Whether it be "writing aggro-punk rap music with my friend Alex Low, playing drums with Grimes occasionally, and touring with my brother's band Doldrums (which I still do whenever possible)," there's a diverse mix to draw upon. "As far as other bands go, I get inspired by electronic music, the Ramones, and dreamy pop stuff like the Cocteau Twins and Julee Cruise," Daniel notes when asked about his influences.

Hear them / See them

Their debut EP OBSESSION I is out now on One Big Silence — Mike Haliechuk from Fucked Up's label (when does that guy sleep?) along with a video for the incredibly infectious "Only Child." The duo is embarking on a short US tour this week with Twin Sister and School of Seven Bells, ending in Toronto on December 15th at May Cafe. Daniel also notes that he'll be spending the rest of the month recording their follow-up 12" — I can't wait to hear how their sound will evolve.

Thomas / November 26, 2012 at 09:04 am
I'm such an artist, I have paint all over my clothes.
Ron / November 26, 2012 at 09:49 am
Spinal Tap 2012
tim / November 26, 2012 at 10:17 am
Cool, they have their dad in the band.
WOW / November 26, 2012 at 03:51 pm
Really?
Do these people wake up everyday and say to themselves "How can i look like a homeless person today?"
Hipsters make me sick... and the also look like they smell
bumbcock / November 26, 2012 at 04:03 pm
WOW - Took the words right out of my mouth. Dirty, dirty, hispters.
Pyn / November 26, 2012 at 04:20 pm
To everyone above me. Where you born in the 40's? How about Hendrix or Cobain, couple or dirty unwashed grungy hippies. I bet they did drugs too, somebody arrest them quick!
Pyn replying to a comment from Pyn / November 26, 2012 at 04:20 pm
were
eric / November 26, 2012 at 11:02 pm
Yeah, have some fun.
Toronto Jim replying to a comment from Thomas / November 26, 2012 at 11:40 pm
Maybe his day job is painting.
As in walls, moron!
Greg / November 27, 2012 at 12:07 pm
Why are these guys a 'breakout' band? Can we stop giving nods to bands they emphasize style over music. Mediocre Hipster Shit.
Big D / November 27, 2012 at 12:59 pm
This band is for real. They wear clothes!?! Who cares?!! They make music that makes a lot of people feel good and I can get INTO THAT.
David / November 27, 2012 at 01:02 pm
BlogTO should just remove the comment section.... what's the point??
clueless classless chris / November 27, 2012 at 02:28 pm
hey I've actually seen these guys before, and I don't know what the writer was thinking, because this is actually a picture of Doldrums ..... Moon King is just the guy on the left I think. not that it matters, but I thought they were actually pretty good.
Not Impressed / November 27, 2012 at 08:23 pm
all members from spiral beach plus their dad. uber lame.

hobo replying to a comment from clueless classless chris / November 29, 2012 at 02:23 pm
actually -
two of them are MOON KING (daniel woodhead and maddy wilde)- the other is his daniel's brother airick (who is DOLDRUMS). the "dad" in the pic is steven foster (plays drums for DOLDRUMS, ex-Donland's and Mortimer, current OMHOUSE).

that being said, a lot of the bands on DAPS/anything ex-spiral beach seems to share members on various tours. daniel also played drums for GRIMES briefly.
Smelly Dirty Hipster Who Lives In A Loft / November 29, 2012 at 03:14 pm
Woah, everyone here need to calm down and stop hating on people who are trying to create something. I'm sorry that your prog-rock band, which rehearses in your parents basement, isn't getting the much sought-after praise of Blog TO (Sarcasm), but that's no reason to hate on an amazing young band who write mature, captivating music.

Here's the truth:

This band is great
This article is informative and concise (a rare thing in music journalism)
The people posting negative comments on here care more about this bands image than the band themselves.