This Week in Food: Bite Bar, McQueen's Pub, Cote de Beouf, Century Room, Insanewich!, Winterlicious
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSINGS
- The long vacated Toast Restaurant in Leslieville has started to show some signs of life. Literally. A sign announcing McQueen's Pub has been placed over the front door. Of course, Leslieville needs another pub like it needs another Italian restaurant. Ya with me?
- Over on Ossington, the owners of Union restaurant have launched a small butcher shop called Cote de Beouf. Pick up a smoked capon, elk sliders and duck confit while supplies last.
- Like your food bite sized? Then get ready for Bite Bar opening soon at 57 Elm Street. Their web site promises bite sized desserts, lattes, teas, cocktails, wine and more.
- King West club Century Room has called it a career. They went out in style on Boxing Day with the suitably named End of an Era soiree.
- Foodies on Foot leads the Insanewich! Food Tour on Sunday, December 30th at 11am. The tour departs from 75 Portland Street and dedicates 4 hours to all things slow cooked, sloppy, and stacked with meat. Tickets are $65-$75.
- If you're hoping to ring in the new year over good food and drinks, our Toronto New Year's Eve Party Guide 2013 conveniently rounds up the celebratory offerings at restaurants and bars across the city.
- Also of note, Richmond Station (One Richmond Street West) is serving up a five course menu complete with a cocktail to start and bubbles to finish for $120.
- The Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre (6 Garamond Court) presents Shinnen Kai, a sold-out Japanese New Year's Dinner on Wednesday, January 1st at 4pm.
- Tickets are available now for a series of Winterlicious Culinary Events taking place from January 25th to February 7th. In addition to prix fixe menus from restaurants across the city, the line-up of events includes a Japanese Tea Ceremony at Spice Route, a pasta-making workshop from 7 Numbers and a chance to return to the basics with Culinary U Turn at Origin Liberty.
- Tickets for the first Dishcrawl of 2013 are available now. Join in for the Ossington edition and tour four hot spots in this vibrant west-end neighbourhood at 7pm on Tuesday, January 8th. Tickets are $60.
- Reserve a space now for the iYellow Icewine Tour and spend Saturday, January 19th touring three Niagara wineries; Jackson Triggs, Chateau Des Charmes and Flat Rock Cellars. Tickets for this winter day trip are $125 and include tastings, giveaways and transportation departing at 10am from the Starbucks in Liberty Village.
- There are only a few days left to give to the Second Harvest holiday campaign to help meet their goal of providing 600,000 meals to Toronto's hungry by December 31st.