Wednesday, October 22, 2014Cloudy 6°C
Deadpool

Daiter's about to go deadpool

Posted by Liora Ipsum / November 1, 2013

Daiters TorontoThe Bathurst Street corridor is about to bid farewell to Daiter's, the family run creamery and grocer that has serviced Toronto's Jewish community since 1964. The longtime fixture at Bathurst and Lawrence has been a beloved source for generations looking for a taste of traditional European prepared foods, cheeses, smoked fishes and baked goods -- its loss almost deserves a shiva of its own.

According to the Canadian Jewish News, the 3,000 square foot shop is expected to close with future sale of its North York building. Brothers Stephen and Joel Daiter are the third generation to run the business and are not willing to sell the family name. Once the retail location closes for good, the plan is to switch focus to existing catering and wholesale operations.

Thanks to David Silverberg for the tip.

Moshe / November 1, 2013 at 01:34 pm
When you price your tuna salad as if it were caviar, you can expect shoppers to look elsewhere
todd / November 1, 2013 at 01:44 pm
"Liora Ipsum"? really????
Bill / November 1, 2013 at 03:33 pm
Moshe - you should price out what unprocessed Albacore tuna costs per kg before you make claims like that.

This is a real shame - great products, and the most decent pair of guys you could ever hope to know.
moles / November 2, 2013 at 08:12 am
No!!! Say it isn't so!!! Best chopped liver and smoked fish in the city. This is awful news.
Carole Yarmo / November 2, 2013 at 04:58 pm
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, WHAT AM I GONNA DO WITH NO DAITERS.. IM GONNA STARVE !!!
Bonnie / November 2, 2013 at 05:43 pm
This is very sad. I shop here all the time and enjoy the great quality and taste as well as the great service and family atmosphere. The value for quality is there. My grandmother brought me to Daiters to shop, my mother brought me and now I bring my children. I will definitely be a regular for the catering service.
Marc Bernstein replying to a comment from Moshe / November 19, 2013 at 03:05 am
Another nasty troll.
I love Daiter's and will miss them when they close.
Have gone to Daiter's all my life.
Marc Bernstein replying to a comment from Moshe / November 19, 2013 at 03:06 am