Tuesday, September 30, 2014Cloudy 17°C
Deadpool

Hits and Misses set to enter the deadpool

Posted by Derek Flack / September 6, 2012

Hits and Misses ClosingHits and Misses days are numbered. The Queen West punk record store, which has been around (in various locations) for 20 years, announced yesterday that it would have to close its doors in less than two weeks on account of a breach of contract with the landlord of the storefront it occupies. It's a familiar tale. Store owner Pete Genest notes that he's drowning in debt, and one presumes just can't keep up with the rent.

This is sad news for Toronto music fans in general, but will hurt punk and hardcore lovers the most. Where else can you find the variety of seven inch singles that Hits and Misses stocks? Yeah, nowhere. And that, of course, might be part of the problem. Record stores face serious challenges as it is, and the niche players must be struggling even more to remain financially viable.

The exact date of closure and the concomitant fire sale are due to be announced later today. For now, here's the note that Genest posted to the store's blog yesterday. And, as he says, now would be a good time to go buy something!

The landlord is sending me a breach of contract against me at the store. It is for many reasons, but he has the right to do so. With this breach of contract he can legally give me a 14 day notice to vacate the premises. He did that a few days ago. I have been trying to work something out over the last few days to stay open until the end of October, but he is not buying and wants me out.

In the next 24 hours I will announce the final day the store is open, etc. This all went down today around 2pm this afternoon. So I am still in a bit of shock and totally overwhelmed with what has to get down before closing the store.

I am in debt over my head and with no store front to sell stuff out of, so PLEASE if possible in the next week and half, if you can afford to buy anything from the store, it would be greatly appreciated.

Igor / September 6, 2012 at 01:29 pm
Very sad news :'(
Brandon / September 6, 2012 at 01:46 pm
And you know what sucks even more, Pete was planning on living upstairs in October. I would highly recommend stopping by to buy stuff, or even just to talk to the guy a bit.
sad :( / September 6, 2012 at 01:53 pm
going to miss this store :(
Poopdawg / September 6, 2012 at 02:17 pm
Shitty. I really liked this place.
Lame / September 7, 2012 at 12:33 pm
Another reason why Toronto is the lamest "big city" out there. I'm predicting right now that over the next five years, everything will be replaced by chain stores and condos.
Spike replying to a comment from Lame / September 7, 2012 at 12:59 pm
And after that, nobody will want to visit here anymore for anything (restaurants in Scarborough, Etobicoke, East York, York and North York won't cut it for tourists or anybody else; nobody wants to take a subway all the way to those places just to take a bus to a strip mall/plaza that has an ethnic restaurant or non-chain shop in it.) Toronto's core is becoming mediocre.
Josh#1 / September 8, 2012 at 10:12 pm
Its punk rock on vinyl in 2012/13. I was around in 83 when these places were all over the place. But its the download era, we all ove punk but I bought it on vinyl along time ago. We all went to CD's, then .mp3's, sure you still get the odd audiophile that will buy old punk on reissued on vinyl which Hit's and Misses could still sell as an online business, or a specialty shop in the part of the city the rent is alot cheaper and people are willing to go to because you have the best stuff. But you're running an old school business model in some of the most expensive real estate in the country... THINK!
The Six Figure Mentors / September 14, 2012 at 03:23 am
Hmm it seems like your site ate my first comment
(it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly
enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any tips and hints for newbie blog writers? I'd definitely appreciate it.