Wednesday, October 1, 2014Light Drizzle 15°C

Is John Tory set to join the 2014 Toronto mayoral race?

Posted by Derek Flack / January 23, 2014

John Tory Toronto mayor raceJohn Tory appears set to enter the 2014 Toronto mayoral race according to a report published in the Toronto Star today. While the article leaves a smidgen of doubt as to the ultimate plans of the former leader of the Ontario PCs, it sounds as though he might already have a campaign platform worked out, one that focus on transportation, youth employment, economic development and a more cohesive city hall. Should Tory run, the report suggests he'll kick off his campaign in late February.

Tory's name has been bandied about in speculation regarding this year's election (as happened in 2010 before he formally declared he wasn't running), but questions surrounding his past political failures, his relationship with Rob Ford, and the demands a campaign would put on his family have led to doubts surrounding his possible entry into the race. Although far from definitive, today's news suggests he's getting closer to tossing his hat in the ring.

What do you think? Is Tory what Toronto needs? Will he finally experience a lasting political victory if he runs?

Sandro Lisi / January 23, 2014 at 05:48 am
Tory's no Fat Fuck. Maybe I could sell him some weed....or crack...or ludes...hezza...or Smith Brothers cough drops...or
Micael Manley / January 23, 2014 at 05:51 am
Tory deman, mun! He be spikin da Jamaican too, cha! But do he have clean bumbaclot?
Steven / January 23, 2014 at 06:24 am
He should stick with the old 'RB radio. He has no chance against Rob Ford.
Mimico Resident / January 23, 2014 at 06:29 am
Steven is right! He will get crushed by ford. Everyone in my community supports him. People I know in other areas like him even more after the new video of him at steak queen.
Yeah, he's from Mimico... replying to a comment from Mimico Resident / January 23, 2014 at 07:30 am
...kinda explains EVERYTHING.

(Good luck with your Life Fail.
Yeah, Steven's right... replying to a comment from Steven / January 23, 2014 at 07:32 am
Tory DOESN'T stand chance against Ford.

In a Crisco-eating contest.
Where's Mimico? / January 23, 2014 at 07:47 am
Mimico Schmimico.
Where Wimpico? replying to a comment from Where's Mimico? / January 23, 2014 at 08:01 am
I'm not positive, having never strayed further south in Etobicoke than Bloor Street, but I think Mimico is just below that festering boil on Doug Ford's ass.
Ryan / January 23, 2014 at 08:02 am
You'd think Tory would be tired of losign by now and just give up. This seems to be another losing proposition for him.
Yeah, Ryan's right... / January 23, 2014 at 08:08 am
...Tory SHOULD give up on another losing proposition. Like your ex-g/f did.

I guess while there was plenty enough to eat at home, you never learned how, huh?
Gabe / January 23, 2014 at 08:34 am
He had his chance twice already and he never got in. The people dont want him. What part of NO don't you understand?
That's the ticket! / January 23, 2014 at 08:37 am
The bumbaclot ticket...Rob Ford for Mayor! Sandro Lisi for Deputy Mayor! Dixon Bloods for all Staff Positions at Mayor's office!
SammyBrown / January 23, 2014 at 09:00 am
Why are people quitting thier day jobs to run for mayor. The race is over, Ford has it, Ford it is. Stintz don't quit your day job. Tory you've got a good thing on NewsTalk 1010am. Chow good luck with your book.
SammyBrown / January 23, 2014 at 09:07 am
Minnan-Wong should quit his day job though not to run for mayor just quit.
Yeah, Gabe... / January 23, 2014 at 09:07 am
...the last time anyone heard that phrase was at the Oak Leaf Steam Baths when they barred you for life.

Gotta stop trying so hard with the stumping, dude...it's embarrassing.
Great Hall / January 23, 2014 at 09:09 am
He will split the right-wing votes with Ford if he runs.
Yeah, SammyBrown totally nailed it... / January 23, 2014 at 09:13 am
...people ARE quitting their day jobs to run for Mayor.

Rob Ford quit his current job MONTHS ago to do precisely that.
kioch / January 23, 2014 at 09:20 am
Go John Tory!
iSkyscraper / January 23, 2014 at 09:31 am
God, I hope so. Tory is much stronger than Stinz or DMZ. Sonacki is actually a pretty smart guy and would make a decent mayor but has no name recognition compared to Tory. In a straight up fight vs Ford, John would absolutely crush him with the support of both the power establishment and the silent majority (who thought they were essentially voting for a watered-down Tory last time in 2010 when they voted for the supposedly fiscally conservative Ford - oops).

Toronto is only 25% dumb people, after all, so Ford can't possibly draw much more than 30, 35% (dumb + gullible combined vote). But vs Chow and Ford together, and Sonacki, it gets a little messy.

Tory should jump in loudly, push the others out (including, maybe, Chow, if he raises enough early Lawrence Park-Rosedale-Forest Hill money) and then steamroll that dumb fuck of a pretend mayor so hard it knocks him out of politics for good.
Paul / January 23, 2014 at 09:33 am
From listening to John Tory on my drive home everyday, he has shown a sensible approach to governing. He's not afraid to tell the truth (progressive transit thinking and taxation). He's willing to work with all people (regardless of their political leanings). He is a consensus builder (not a big ol' bully). I would vote for him!
Nick / January 23, 2014 at 09:33 am
For those that are screaming he tried and lost, so he should quit: is that your life motto as well? So you try for something, you lose and then you just roll up and die? Stop trying?

What a message/lesson for life!

I hope he tries again. And whether he wins or loses, he will have proven to himself, the city, and anyone watching, that it's ok to try and lose than to shelter yourself from life.
Pat / January 23, 2014 at 09:37 am
I would really like to see John Tory in office, personally.
canuckone replying to a comment from iSkyscraper / January 23, 2014 at 09:48 am
Totally agree... great closing comment.
Poopdawg / January 23, 2014 at 09:51 am
At this point, I'd vote for a moldy, wet sock over Ford.
the lemur replying to a comment from iSkyscraper / January 23, 2014 at 10:14 am
Tory essentially has name recognition and nothing else. He's never amounted to anything in any political race and on just about any issue, he alternately waffles and panders.
Harriet Wolman / January 23, 2014 at 10:17 am
I have known John Tory for over thirty years and have always been impressed by his calm integrity. We need a mayor who will represent our city in a way that will make Torontonians proud, not be a laughingstock on American television. I believe that John Tory is that person. I plan to work on his campaign as soon as he announces his candidacy. If we want a change, and I certainly do, we have to work for it.
W. K. Lis / January 23, 2014 at 10:19 am
Tory would take the right-wing votes away from Ford. Chow would take the left-wing votes. Who would win? Not Ford, that's for sure, in a Tory-Chow-Ford set up. It'll be Chow then Tory, and Ford following behind.
jen / January 23, 2014 at 10:22 am
I'd vote for Tory, and I'm a tea-swilling downtown bike rider.

It would be so lovely to have someone intelligent and well spoken as chief magistrate; someone who is capable of competently addressing the very serious issues this city is currently facing, without all the crack-related distractions.
Jeremy / January 23, 2014 at 10:24 am
If John Tory is running for mayor, my vote goes to him and I won't even consider anyone else.

Saw him at Scallywags having a beer once with some friends and I was super impressed with the quality of his Jamaican accent.
JP / January 23, 2014 at 10:25 am
Even though I'm pretty far to the left myself, I wouldn't mind our next mayor to be someone who's a bit more centrist and less divisive. Listening to John Tory's radio show here and there, he seems like a reasonable, down the middle kind of guy. I'd vote for him I think.
I won't vote for Tory... / January 23, 2014 at 10:35 am
...but at least he's an eminently qualified candidate who vastly raises the bar, not just of all conservative and moderate candidates, but liberal candidates as well.

if he can be given a second chance to turn the page --and hard-right supporters have proven they can give their man (Ford) second chances until the cows come home-- then they will have no trouble wiping the slate clean for John Tory. but it'll be up to him to erase the old, waffling image he has and to cememt a new image with the public. and he has a shot, too.

a lot of people are going to migrate from Ford, and my candidate (possibly Chow, maybe Stintz, or someone in-between) might have trouble overcoming that groundswell if they don't get their message heard early. looks like a fun race. but Ford? is going to flameout spectacularly. as the contest goes on and it's looking more and more dismal, his carnival antics are going to ramp up into unheard of territory until his campaign implodes shy of teh election.

you heard it here first.
Rex / January 23, 2014 at 11:21 am
This should put a wrinkle in Ford Nation's plan for world domination. Add Stintz to the mix and it looks like a homerun for Chow.
jaaaaaaaaaaat / January 23, 2014 at 11:27 am
YAY more candidates! If Tory can lose 40lbs then he has my vote! b/c that is all i care about!
lister / January 23, 2014 at 11:34 am
With Tory now almost officially in the mayoral race I guess we'll see just how many utterly moronic people live here by the vote count for Ford. You'd have to think after four years of idiot Ford that the lefties will be out in force for Chow, the centrists and sane righties will support Tory and the whack job crackpots will be left for Ford.

I'd be okay with either Chow or Tory though would prefer Tory slightly more for some balance in council.
Mar / January 23, 2014 at 11:41 am
I foresee a tight four way race. Now will back chow, the sun will back ford the post will back Tory and the star will back soknacki. I realize soknacki has very little name recognition at this point but he will build consensus in Scarborough which will be key in the next election. Miller had very little name recognition when he first announced his candidacy. We have a long summer ahead of us. Stintz will drop out in September when she realizes she is not in the race. She will back soknacki. Tory is right, chow is left, ford is for morons and soknacki is centre. It will be a lot clearer by the end of the summer. People want center it's been said over and over again. Soknacki is the only one who can position himself there and be believed. I say he beats ford by a hair and chow and Tory are a close third and fourth.
refreshing, right? replying to a comment from jaaaaaaaaaaat / January 23, 2014 at 11:41 am
whoever wins, it'll be a win for all Toronto, and the province, too.

well..unless Ford repeats. then it's a win for a half teh population of Etobicoke, most cranky old men, nearly all people who listen to angry talk radio, and the majority of racist white folks.
Sexy 18 year old cheerleader has my vote / January 23, 2014 at 12:19 pm
How about you?
I won't vote for Tory... replying to a comment from Mar / January 23, 2014 at 12:25 pm
I think Mar might be on to something. I wish Solacki had a higher profile, he might do some good. PTory would be fine after he got his Mayoral legs. I'm still on the fence about Chow...I don't want to see Council get bogged down in minutiae, I want her to be able to take the bull by the horns like dear Jack always could, but to swim free of endless debates. Stintz might have more legs than you think.

But yeah...very fun times, and a pretty solid pack. Will be fun watching how it all plays out. I just hope the Ford EndTimes Clown Show doesn't turn grotesque, is all.
reg / January 23, 2014 at 12:27 pm
I wonder what Neil Young thinks about this.
Done / January 23, 2014 at 12:35 pm
All the candidates are terrible. Failed politicians, musicians, people who never held a job. The city is a massive business, we need someone who is experienced at running a large company and making it profitable and accountable. We're screwed folks.
AJF / January 23, 2014 at 01:11 pm
GO TORY GO! Im your biggest cheerleader!
Sue / January 23, 2014 at 01:38 pm
Like an ex-girl friend does Toronto need to get a restraining order against John Tory?
Mimico / January 23, 2014 at 01:45 pm
Ford more years!
realityCheck / January 23, 2014 at 03:33 pm
I don't like Ford (and didn't like Miller other reasons), but John Tory would be even worse. His conservatism is of the kind which focuses exclusively on what is best for corporations and the corporate class. Whether as a business leader, a politician, and in his advocacy with the Civic Alliance (an unelected band of corporate shills that routinely try to position themselves as progressive), he has promoted an array of stale neo-liberal (ie "not progresssive" for those who need translating) which sound warm and fuzzy but actually have helped exacerbate the income inequality and other problems that have become rife in our society. He is about promoting conditions that grow the economy -- but this growth only accrues to those at the top and comes at the expense of liveable wages and quality of life (congestion and rampant overdevelopment)...and he always wants to pass the tab on to the general public in the form of higher taxes, user fees and road tolls. I do not vote conservative and I do not like Ford and am sick of his shenanigans, but Tory's brand of conservative is even worse.
Stintz & Socknacki Are Getting Married! / January 23, 2014 at 03:39 pm
And will rule the city together...with love!
Jeff / January 23, 2014 at 03:51 pm
On the surface, I like John Tory but listening to him on his show there are so many times where he makes assumptions about things he is talking about or doesn't even do basic research (or have someone do it for him) and keeps telling listeners incorrect facts/etc. He does seem really clueless sometimes.

Hopefully for Toronto there is another candidate that will enter the race who can bring both sides together and get things done.
Alex / January 23, 2014 at 04:29 pm
I'd still prefer Socknacki at this point. He's the only one that's shown he would rather do what's best for the city than lie to people and buy votes. I hope Tory runs though so he can split the Right vote.
Maxine / January 23, 2014 at 08:07 pm
I am actually pleased to read this webpage posts which contains tons
of valuable data, thanks for providing such statistics.
Kn / January 23, 2014 at 09:16 pm
Anybody but Adam Vaughan or Olivia Chow. Please.
Shaun / January 23, 2014 at 09:39 pm
I typically vote left, but I feel it's important not to ignore what Ford's win in 2010 told us. I'm not so sure that a pendulum swing from extreme right to extreme left is what we need right now. I would be completely fine with a fiscal conservative who has a vision for the city, LIKES the city and isn't a complete idiot. I would welcome John Tory.
kn / January 24, 2014 at 03:03 pm
There are only extreme left or extreme right councillors. (Perfect examples, Rob Ford and Adam Vaughan)

This is why nothing seems to get done and if it does it takes them a decade of debate to make a decision. And after they make a decision they change their minds. Worse yet, a system that could enforce accountability is non existent at city hall. In fact, I have been told by the Integrity Commissioner's office that if a councillor lies to a member of the public neither the Ombudsman or the Integrity commissioner have any jurisdiction over them. Still wonder why Rob Ford is still strutting around city hall? Or why Adam Vaughan feels so free to shoot off his mouth and ramble on about his nonsensical neo marxist views.

I repeat, where is the media? Stop chasing H.R pufNstuf around and ask real questions you bunch of clowns.
waiting for godot replying to a comment from realityCheck / January 24, 2014 at 03:19 pm
And you think Olivia Chow's brand of Socialism isn't worse than Miller's

Anyone with a strictly ideological bent is going to make this city worse, whether it is right or left.

The only candidate I can see right now who gives me any hope for this city is John Tory.
realityCheck / January 24, 2014 at 05:11 pm
@waiting for godot...
I never said I support Olivia Chow. I don't. And the only way I think she will get in is if voters see her policies through the same vaseline-smeared lens that was used to shoot her portrait on the cover of her new book. (And those who haven't seen the cover should look at this week's NOW, where there is a photo of her done by NOW's photographer placed side by side with an insert of the cover of her new book.)

That said, Tory would not be an improvement on Chow... or Miller. Tory belongs to the group of corporate and political elites who routinely advocate policies that have exacerbated income inequality, crumbling infrastructure and deteriorating quality of life for all but those at the top. He routinely yammers on about the importance of "growing the economy" via mass immigration, even while the GTA has record levels of unemployment and underemployment. He routinely backs ideas to improve corporate bottom lines (outsourcing, foreign temp workers for positions that can't be outsourced) at the expense of people who live here. And then he has the chutzpah to muse about how we need to do more to support the unemployed youth in our midst -- without of course acknowledging how the policies he pushes has been instrumental in bringing about this state of affairs. Either he is too stupid to see the connection between high unemployment/underemployment and his policies.. OR he thinks the public is too stupid to see the connection. I think it's probably the latter.
John Tory doesn't have it / January 25, 2014 at 02:34 pm
Election Losses: Frank Miller, PM Kim, Mayor, Premier, Don Valley riding. Tory-ZERO Opponents-FIVE
John Tory / January 26, 2014 at 04:07 pm
I am impotent!
Heywood Jablomey replying to a comment from Mimico Resident / January 28, 2014 at 05:41 pm
Ford is still in the 43-45% support range and I know plenty of friends and associates who say they will absolutely vote for him again. I don't rule out the possibility of voting for him again either. Rob Ford drunk is better than Ching Chon Chow sober any day of the week. That little bicycle riding, palsied hussy should stop living off her dead husband's memory and go back to bitching and moaning in Ottawa.
LUCIA / August 29, 2014 at 10:07 pm
wHY DOESNT HE HAVE A SITE TO SEND MESSAGES, LOOKS BAD!! DONT NEED TO SEE HIS FAMILY, HE IS RUNNING FOR MAYOR ETC. DU. I WAS ALL FOR HIM? I WAS BROUGHT IN TO. HIS INTERNET IS? REALLY BELIEVED IN HIM?

DOES ANYONE TO CLEAN UP, CULTURE ISSUES? PUT IN SCHOOLS.
WE ALL GOT ALONG IN 60,S. DU?????

I WAS BROUGHT IN THE CITY- NIAGARA SCHOOL/RYERSON, ARE TEACHERS SHOWED US RESPECT AND WE ALL GOT ALONG. IT TIME THE GROUP OF COUNCILLORS GET ALONG AND LET THEM KNOW PUBLIC SCHOOLS BEEN OUT LONG TIME AGO. HAPPY I MOVED TO MISSISSAUGA WHEN I GOT MARRIED 30 YEARS AGO. WAKE AND STOP PLAYING WITH TAX PLAYERS MONEY. WHAT HAPPEN???????