Saturday, November 22, 2014Light Rain Shower 5°C

What are the borders of downtown, midtown and uptown in Toronto?

Posted by Derek Flack / March 27, 2013

uptown torontoChatting with a friend the other day, the subject of Toronto's unofficial borders came up. Although I can't remember what precipitated the debate, our discussion centred around whether the dividing line between midtown and uptown was Eglinton or Lawrence Avenue. In the absence of official boundaries, neither of us could lay claim to being right in the absence of additional input. So that's what Twitter is for, right?

Having put the question to our followers, a general trend was visible, but not so much so that the question could easily put to rest. The majority of folks who were kind enough to respond, suggested the following boundary lines:

Downtown: South of Bloor
Midtown: Between Bloor and Eglinton
Uptown: North of Eglinton

This, of course, leaves out east/west parameters, which is another story (but as far as downtown goes, most would say Bathurst to the west and Sherbourne/Parliament to the east, I suspect). So would that mean that the Annex (part of which is north of Bloor and part of which is south) is downtown or midtown? That's a tough one to answer. Perhaps even more interesting than the east/west question, however, are some of the alternate suggestions to the above north/south dividing lines.

Forgetting our initial Eglinton/Lawrence debate, the responses that most intrigued me suggested 1) that uptown ends at York Mills (at which point North York begins), 2) that downtown should really be considered as everything south of Dundas and 3) that everything north of Bloor should be considered uptown. I'm not sure that I agree with two and three, but I also wonder if I feel like I'm particularly downtown when standing at Yonge and College. As for the first point, I completely agree. Given the city's pre-amalgamation borders, it seems silly to refer to Yonge and Sheppard as uptown. That's North York, man!

Nevertheless, these designations are subject to change over time. Take the lead photo, for example. While you wouldn't want to put all your faith in the name of a movie theatre (especially considering that in the 1940s the Bloor Cinema was still called the Midtown), it's possible to imagine a time when there'd be little debate that Yonge and Bloor was uptown. As the city grows, borders change — but it's a slow process, so we have lots of time to engage in debates like these.

Weigh in with your suggested boundaries in the comments below.

Photo of the old Uptown Theatre from the Toronto Archives

Benedict / March 27, 2013 at 09:45 am
Downtown is "south of the Dupont train tracks". Everything else is a nameless void.
Adam / March 27, 2013 at 09:47 am
Bathurst to the West? No way. Parkdale is definitely still downtown Toronto.

Downtown also extends past Bloor I would argue.
Al / March 27, 2013 at 09:47 am
North Toronto isn't Midtown or Uptown, it's North Toronto. Uptown is Chaplin Crescent to Charles (including the old Uptown Theatre site). Midtown is Charles to Dundas, and south of that is downtown (but only to Front because below that is Harbourfront). Condo developers can name their buildings whatever they want, it doesn't make Yonge and Eglinton Midtown.
local / March 27, 2013 at 09:48 am
RIP Uptown Theatre. :(
Dan / March 27, 2013 at 09:52 am
Slow news day, huh?
Steve / March 27, 2013 at 09:53 am
Downtown - south of Bloor, DVP to east, Bathurst to west
Midtown - St Clair/Yonge area
Uptown - Eglinton/Yonge area
I see these as neighbourhood definitions, so Egilinton and Bathurst is Forest Hill not Uptown, and St. Clair and Millwood is Leaside not Midtown. Sheppard or High Park or Danforth should be considered their own distinct regions like Brooklyn, or Queens or the Bronx in New York. Outside of any Manhattan style definitions
Frank replying to a comment from Dan / March 27, 2013 at 10:03 am
That never ceases to be the most inane comment someone can write. You clicked the link, loser.
Yerml / March 27, 2013 at 10:11 am
I don't think its Toronto-ish to divide into such American-y urban districts - its more in line with our multi-cultural spirit to talk about how the neighborhoods ebb and flow into each other. That being said - and in the interests of getting my 2-cents in - i would define downtown as any major 'avenue' block that has at least five 16-storey buildings that are mostly business or hotel. I don't think you can draw a square - it would be more amorphous and would include: south of queen with U of T and a column of downtownishness up along yonge to bloor; west of Spadina and east of Jarvis with a few bits of Ryerson sticking out of the north-east of our blob.
Midtown is anything mostly not suburban with significant avenue street culture. So, east of Bathurst, with westerly tentacles along: queen, dundas, st.clair, and bloor to keele; west of parliament, with easterly tentacles along: queen, dundas, and danforth to coxwell. The rest is uptown - which i don't differentiate with TO-bound suburbia.
THIS is: A very good reason to prioritize the sheppard subway west and re-distribute density. The last thing we need is a relief line - we need people to move out and colonize other corridors, not bandwagon jumpers who will take our planned relief line and overwhelm that. A relief line will just attract more which will become a slippery slope and give us just a non-fun, non-productive core of people getting in each other's way. Visit many of the asian super-cities to see that density is good to a certain degree only. Multi-core with connected subway nodes is the key - just don't gum it up like London where development is mostly stalled due to 'right to light'.
Todd Toronto / March 27, 2013 at 10:20 am
It always bugs me when the press refers to events at, say, Yonge/Finch as being in "North Toronto." Yes, that's geographically accurate, but it's not the area that most people think (thought?) of as North Toronto. That, to me anyway, is the Old City of Toronto north of St. Clair, or maybe even Eglinton. North Toronto is a neighbourhood, as are Willowdale, Downsview and Victoria Park.

Downtown to me is south of Bloor. I'm in my 30s and have never heard someone refer to anywhere in Toronto as being Uptown, except the lamented cinema where we all saw "Trainspotting."
Alison / March 27, 2013 at 10:32 am
The only people who think that nothing exists North of Bloor are people who did not grow up in Toronto. I think your borders seem to make sense.
Doug / March 27, 2013 at 10:36 am
Seems downright weird not to consider Yorkville, the reference library etc. as being downtown - but that's just me. In my mind Rosedale Valley Road/Ramsden Park/CPR tracks/Dupont are a reasonable northern boundary of downtown.
acb87 / March 27, 2013 at 10:43 am
davenport to eglinton is midtown to me. annex i consider downtown , its below that huge hill
alan / March 27, 2013 at 10:45 am
i like the borders as noted in the article and that's what i've always told people who've asked...except i would say the area surrounding Queen St is downtown, the area surrounding Bloor is midtown and the area surrounding Eglinton is uptown...the areas overlap...not like neighborhoods that tend to start and stop at certain streets...
Idiot replying to a comment from Dan / March 27, 2013 at 10:52 am
The stupidity displayed by some who are commenting on this site is nothing short of astounding.

This is a perfect example.
Marc replying to a comment from Adam / March 27, 2013 at 10:58 am
Only people who moved to Parkdale think Parkdale is downtown.
Kieren / March 27, 2013 at 11:07 am
I have to agree with a few posts here. It seems like people who did grow-up in Toronto are the ones obsessed with these designations. I think it's the Sex and the City generation causing us this strife (SARCASM ON STRIFE I KNOW THIS ISN'T A BIG DEAL).
Alex / March 27, 2013 at 11:22 am
South of Bloor is downtown, that seems to be generally accepted. I think south of Eglinton is midtown (though the Eglinton area is also North Toronto, due to the high school). The BIA in the area just north of Eglinton actually call themselves Uptown Yonge (with metal plaques in the sidewalk that say that every block or so). It does feel more rich suburban just north of Eglinton too, while just south feels more urban. It's weird, but the shops just north are a little more boutique, and the shops just south are a little more rundown.

There are metal plaques in the sidewalk on Yonge from Eglinton to St.Clair or Summerhill(forget the end point) that have little maps with important historical sites noted on them. Those are really cool and fun when you're just out walking and decide to go to the places. Toronto has some pretty cool stuff due to our neighbourhoods.
Adam replying to a comment from Marc / March 27, 2013 at 11:34 am
Oh okay, thanks. I don't live in Parkdale.
phil / March 27, 2013 at 11:41 am
The meaning of downtown shifts depending on where the person you are asking lives. For a lot of people in the GTA it seems to mean the former City of Toronto. For people who have grown up south of Bloor it seems to mean the financial district.

These words don't seem to have much relevance in Toronto - is the Junction downtown or uptown? I think neither. Parts of the Annex close to Avenue Road and north of bloor have a definite uptown feel to them while parts of Geary around Dufferin feel as downtown as Queen West to me.
Sticky / March 27, 2013 at 12:05 pm
THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS THE WEST END, OSSINGTON TO ST. CLAIR TO HUMBER RIVER TO LAKESHORE, PARKDALE IS NOT DOWNTOWN!!
j-rock replying to a comment from Frank / March 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm
Thanks for saving me the trouble Frank. I'll never get why someone would click on an article, read it, and then take the time to comment on what a waste of time it was.
Drama / March 27, 2013 at 12:33 pm
the boundaries as mentioned in the article have been generally accepted since amalgamation. Then there are those uptowners trying to sneak into the mid-town status. I say not in my Town...not in any of my 5 towns.

born & bred replying to a comment from Alison / March 27, 2013 at 12:38 pm
Couldn't agree more.
Mayor McCokehoover / March 27, 2013 at 12:41 pm
Downtown: where the Mayor keeps his Rubik's Cube, in his desk at city hall

Midtown: where the Mayor heads to after 'work' for a nightcap.

Uptown: where the Mayor goes to do a rail before driving home
born & bred replying to a comment from Kieren / March 27, 2013 at 12:50 pm
Did you mean people who *didn't* grow up Toronto are the ones obsessed with these designations? 'Cause that's definitely the impression I get. As a person who's lived near Queen & Bathurst my entire life, I've never given this nonsense a second thought. But these days it seems every time I talk to someone deeply concerned with being identified as a 'downtowner', it inevitably comes to light that they grew up in the 'burbs or the country. Kinda pathetic. Who the eff cares?
Katie / March 27, 2013 at 01:03 pm
I've been in Toronto 15 years. I moved into downtown (behind Sam the Record Man) and have slowly made my way north and west. My "Downtown" definition has always been lake to Bloor, DVP to Bathurst. I'd agree with most other definitions of mid-town and up-town, I don't have as strong an opinion on those.
I tend to identify by by community more - I was Ryerson, then Swansea, now Weston.
But I will take a stand when people try to exaggerate "downtown" to their benefit. Like when my ex-boyfriend said he'd moved from Scarborough into "downtown"... he moved to Wynford, east of the DVP.
Joey replying to a comment from Adam / March 27, 2013 at 01:27 pm
"Parkdale is definitely still downtown Toronto."

HAHAHAHAHA..... that's a good one. Now tell the one about the priest and the rabbi walking into the bar.
Westend / March 27, 2013 at 01:27 pm
Always considered parkdale, highpark, and the junction the west end, then anything west of the humber is etobicoke. Pretty easy to remember.
RobS / March 27, 2013 at 01:46 pm
There is a big difference between the CBD and the Downtown. We have both. The downtown is a larger area.

CBD = Spadina-Church & Queen-Queen's Quay(Now - used to be Front)

Downtown = Dufferin-River & Bloor-Queen's Quay

Midtown = Dufferin-Bayview & Bloor-Eglinton

Uptown = Blackcreek-Don Mills & Eglinton to 401

For Midtown and Uptown the closer you get to Avenue or Yonge the more likely you are to use the two names as opposed to the neighborhood.
mpierro / March 27, 2013 at 01:49 pm
I think the reason people are having such a hard time agreeing on what is downtown vs midtown vs uptown is that they are pretty useless ways of describing this city. They make sense in Manhattan, where there are actual definable north to south regions.

But Toronto is far less linear. To say anything south of Bloor is "downtown" makes no sense. Parkdale and Cabbage Town are obviously not downtown. But they're not "midtown" either. The west-end east-end divisions make more sense but that ignores a huge area in the north that are far less defined by east and west .

My point I guess is that Toronto isn't New York, and doesn't in anyway fit that mold, so we should stop trying to describe it that way...
Sheilah / March 27, 2013 at 01:57 pm
I find that the further out someone lives, the broader the definition of Downtown is. For some it seems to encompass all of the former city of Toronto.
Sean / March 27, 2013 at 02:28 pm
Downtown: South of College. Midtown: Bloor. Uptown: South of Eglinton. Tundra and dragons: North of Eglinton. I don't go there.
margarets replying to a comment from Marc / March 27, 2013 at 02:31 pm
Yes, Parkdale is "West End".
margarets replying to a comment from Sheilah / March 27, 2013 at 02:33 pm
True! I once heard a guy who lived at Don Mills & the 401 say he lived downtown.
SJB / March 27, 2013 at 03:06 pm
Can't we all just get along and be one BIG happy family? Burbs and all? Won't anyone think about the children!!!
Marc replying to a comment from margarets / March 27, 2013 at 03:27 pm
AND let's not even get to people who say Vaughan is Toronto.
torontodude / March 27, 2013 at 08:21 pm
hmm..this gets way more complicated than you'd think...
1) Downtown -> Lake to Rosedale Valley/Dupont Tracks and DVP to Bathurst (so forget about it Liberty Village..if u r West of Bathurst...you don't live Downtown)
2) Midtown -> up to Eglinton and Avenue Road to Bayview
3) Uptown -> up to the 401
4) North York -> North of 401 to Steeles
5) other areas -> quadrant/intersection name and/or Neighbourhood Name...e.g....West End - Parkdale, Dufferin and Steeles etc
kbdid / March 27, 2013 at 09:06 pm
I find the descriptions of mid/uptown etc really only refer to places located along Yonge; once you go east or west you're hopping into places more known by neighbourhood. The whole city is like that. I'd generally agree that anything south of Dupont/the tracks between Bathurst and DVP is "downtown", but I think if you ask someone from futher afield they'd expand the area a bit to include Parkdale, Corktown/Leslieville etc. I'd describe Lawrence South to Eglinton as "uptown" - north of that you begin to get into North York.
DowntownTony / March 27, 2013 at 10:01 pm
I actually posed this question to my lady (DowntownAbbey) the other night. Anyway, I find it peculiar that only two comments here mention that Yorkville should be considered downtown. The north border to "downtown" is clearly dupont/davenport and Yorkville is certainly downtown. I don't understand how that is not obvious to those commenting here. Anyway, anything north of St. Clair doesn't matter, and even St. Clair is a little too far north to really exist (do people that far north live in igloos?).
ParkdaleDude / March 27, 2013 at 10:32 pm
I am also seeing comments like "Parkdale is the west end". Parkdale is Parkdale and it is located in the west end of Toronto.
CharlieBee / March 27, 2013 at 11:02 pm
Toronto doesn't have a midtown. Saying midtown is just stupid. It's not really a thing.
Forest ILL replying to a comment from CharlieBee / March 28, 2013 at 12:00 am
Really? Well in that case you may want to inform the good people at the Midtowm Post... dunce cap :P
AndrewS / March 28, 2013 at 12:01 am
I'd have to say Davenport as well. I live on St Clair and the boundary is there in my mind. The hill, the railway tracks, the old industrial strip ... but it's also where the Bay-and-Gable belt ends.

Midtown, East End, West End, all refer to that part that's mostly in the old city, old, and dense streetcar suburbs, but lacks the intensive redevelopment of downtown.
Theo / March 28, 2013 at 12:45 am
I was just thinking about it today, how silly it is that humans like to draw lines on maps and define themselves because of it.
Brunhilda / March 28, 2013 at 08:07 am
I find that my personal use/definition of 'downtown' depends on who I'm talking to, and where we are at the time. Talking to my parents who live out in the suburbs, 'downtown' is pretty much the area between Roncesvalles, the lake, the Don Valley and Eglinton: Leslieville sometimes gets thrown in, but everything else is the 'East end'. If I'm talking to my friends, 'downtown' is the financial district/CBD, midtown is the area around Yonge St. north of Bloor up to Eglinton, and uptown is Yonge and Eglinton north up to ... North York? But really, those terms are used in a very general, geographic sense. Normally we refer to neighbourhoods or major intersections.
Kat / March 28, 2013 at 09:41 am
I'm new to the city, so I don't feel like I'm qualified to draw lines one way or another, but I'm really surprised to hear people saying that downtown stops at Bathurst on the west. The apartment we finally battled our way into is roughly at Queen and Bathurst and if you'd asked lil ignorant me, I'd would not have guessed that we were right at the edge of 'downtown'. Probably would have placed the edge at Ossington myself, since there's a high density of people/businesses along Queen, College and Bloor (at least) extending that far.

Even I've been here long enough though to know that Parkdale is not downtown.
Daver replying to a comment from margarets / March 29, 2013 at 09:11 am
That's the worst part -when people from outside our city try to redefine it so it includes them. People in Markham, Vaughan and Mississauga seem to be the worst for this. I've heard MANY people from Markham say they live Uptown Toronto, or people in Mississauga say they live in the West end of Toronto.

I blame the Media (including BlogTO!) who constantly use "Greater Toronto Area" as if it was synonymous with "Toronto". Like those stupid "My Toronto is..." CTV ads which are rarely in Toronto.

No disrespect to people outside Toronto. If you want to live out in the burbs -God bless Ya! Just don't be a poser and try to redefine our city so that it includes you.
beats solo / March 30, 2013 at 01:10 am
Lee is a bit loud and clear to defy spirit, it is thus clear that company commander and chief of staffs didn't talk and also had no again utter a word.
Condos.ca / April 2, 2013 at 12:22 pm
Does not make sense that condos on the north side of Eglinton are uptown and condos on the south side are Midtown, we use lawrence as the boundary of midtown
King of Kensington / April 5, 2013 at 09:13 pm
The City came up with the Central Area concept (within which downtown is contained) in the 1970s - with its boundaries being Bathurst to the Don Valley below Rosedale Valley and the CPR tracks. In fact the city uses these boundaries for Downtown Toronto today. Within this Central Area there were downtown and midtown areas:

Downtown: south of College from Jarvis to Bathurst (south of Queen) and University (north of Queen)

South Midtown: College to Bloor, Jarvis to Queen's Park

North Midtown: Bloor to CPR/Rosedale Valley, more or less synonymous with Yorkville.

In fact, Yorkville is still "officially" referred to as Midtown:

Yonge and Eg is calling itself Uptown.

However if I were to create a "downtown" population for comparative purposes it would include the whole DT/South Midtown/North Midtown definition (just as both downtown and midtown Manhattan are used in calculating NYC's downtown population).
Flatiron / April 7, 2013 at 03:13 pm
Toronto does not have a downtown, a midtown or an uptown in the New York sense.

You have a CBD and a network of neighborhoods.

In New York, Downtown is more than where all the tall buildings are; Midtown is more than a midway point between down and up; and Uptown does not mean "everything north of Midtown." These are terms are distinct cultural signifiers as well as directional points, and Toronto does not share them.
NativeTorontonian / May 21, 2013 at 06:21 pm
I grew up as a child in the 80s and after that (and presently), seeing and possessing city maps and TTC sources with Toronto (Metro Toronto until the late 90s) and some of the surrounding area (now the 905 cities/region), but the 905 region was not really detailed and not so coloured. Meanwhile, the Metropolitan Toronto area was highlighted and detailed with main streets, highways, GO and TTC lines. This went from Western Etobicoke's river flowing in and out of Lake Ontario as well as the 427, all the way east to Scarborough's Eastern border at the Rouge River/Park, then Steeles Ave from the north to Lake Ontario south.
Finally, the downtown Toronto area was further highlighted in another shade. The northern border is Bloor, the western border is Bathurst, eastern border is Sherbourne. It is widely put as the Don River being the eastern border as well. The borders are a no-brainer, pre-amalgamation or post. Midtown is Bloor to Eglinton BIA, Uptown is north of Lawrence to north of Sheppard, some put it as Finch. I think it's time for deamalgamation, but this is another issue.
Jason Tang / October 30, 2013 at 12:50 pm
I live at Yorkville and consider myself Uptown and south of Dundas is downtown. These was never an official definition for Toronto's neighbourhoods, I wish it did!

The definition of uptown, midtown, downtown also varies depending on the era and who you talk to. My suburban friends consider anything south of Eglinton or south of Bloor as downtown. But Uptown Theatre was constructed in 1920s at which time Bloor was the northern limit hence named Uptown. Since 2000s, the general consensus of downtown is bounded by Bathurst, Bloor and Parliament.

As a real estate agent, I still go by the pre-amalgamation addresses meaning anything north of York Mills is North York and east of Victoria Park as Scarborough. Saying an address by Humber River as Toronto just doesn't seem right when it really is Etobicoke. Lesielieville, Beach, Parkdale and Liberty Village are just that, as they fall outside of Bathurst or Parliament.
Toronto My Way / December 28, 2013 at 10:29 pm
First of all, "-town" is about urban density. Suburbs cannot be a part of this conversation, so there's no way on earth uptown goes anywhere near Steeles.

In NYC, uptown stops at Harlem, which is still on Manhattan Island although not a part of "Manhattan proper." North still is upper Manhattan, then you hit the Bronx before leaving NYC proper. Uptown doesn't even cover the northernmost end of the island, let alone reach the border of the city.

To me, "town" also denotes areas with a high penetration of transportation modal choice that includes walking, cycling as a form of transportation not recreation, being able to hail a cab rather than having to phone for one, or being near a subway

And, finally, "town" also denotes a high degree of commercial land use, as opposed to bedroom subdivisions.

Downtown is what is usually referred to as the central business district (CBD). For Toronto, I'd then put "downtown" south of not bloor, but south of Dundas. The transportation hub is Union Stn.

Midtown, in my view, goes up from Dundas up to Davenport. Yorkville and the Annex are a part of Midtown. The transportation hub is naturally Yonge/Bloor Stn, as well as St. George/Spadina Stns.

Uptown then, with the most residential fanning off the Yonge Street spine, goes from Davenport to a little north of Eglinton, where the transportation hub is.

North of that is...not "town" at all. Yonge and Lawrence is an intersection you'd miss if you weren't looking for it, hardly a hub of any note anchoring any sense of personality beyond being a place for cars to change direction.

North York Centre does have a downtown-like feel to it, not unlike Yonge and Eg. Sheppard Stn. is the transportation hub and also enjoys a second station a few hundred meters north. But it is utterly disconnected from uptown - no one would ever walk from Yonge and Sheppard to Yonge and York Mills, let alone to Lawrence. Once you hit Eglinton, Yonge Street is a connected walkspace that leads right into midtown, and into downtown (I've walked that route on several occasions, both recreationally and as transportation).

And, for the record, the width of Bloor between Sherbourne and Bathurst is approximately 3km, roughly equivalent to the width of 42nd Street NYC from 1st Avenue to 12th Avenue.

While we're at it, from Battery Park up to 110th Street where Harlem starts is a little less than 12km, roughly equivalent to Yonge and Queen's Quay up to Yonge between Lawrence and York Mills. Bronx and North York are equivalents, each taking their respective cities to their northernmost borders.
hair salons downtown toronto / August 15, 2014 at 09:31 pm
I actually think that the Annex is not downtown anymore. I think downtown is from lakeshore to bloor, midtown bloor to eglinton, uptown eglinton and up. Downtown west till Bathurst and east till Parliament.
King of Kensington / August 15, 2014 at 09:53 pm
Are "midtown"/"uptown" supposed to be a "side" of town like the west end or they supposed to be mini-downtowns?
Karen / August 15, 2014 at 10:18 pm
I have a friend who lives at Woodbine and Danforth who considers herself a downtowner. I live in Etobicoke and get annoyed when a story comes on the news and they say "Toronto's west end" and they are talking about Bathurst or Spadina. There's a whole lot of Toronto West of there! (Yes I realize they are using the old boundaries but it's been 14 years!)
Richard Nelson / August 16, 2014 at 06:37 am
This is one of those things where no one is really "wrong". But still.

The idea that, e.g., Parkdale is downtown is absurd. :-) Kind of like my Brampton-living mother who thought dropping me at the Ex was taking me downtown.

Back in the day *cough* Yonge and Bloor streets was UPTOWN. Thus the name of the only recently defunct theatre there. When I worked at York and King streets (definitely downtown) but lived at King and Bathurst - definitely NOT downtown. "Central", sure - but not downtown.

This is one of those things - the more time you spend closer to, er, downtown, the smaller you think it is. :-)
Shana / September 29, 2014 at 03:38 pm
Uh yeah the Annex is ONLY North of Bloor. Anybody who thinks otherwise is wrong.