Toronto Blue Jays Bo Bichette

Bichette opens up about decision to leave Toronto Blue Jays

The Bo Bichette era is officially over for the Toronto Blue Jays, and fans finally got some insight on why he decided to leave. 

After months of speculation on where he would sign, news broke last week that the New York Mets had inked Bichette to a three-year, $126 million contract. 

That became official on Wednesday, as the Mets held a press conference to introduce Bichette to the New York media and fans. It was an odd sight for Blue Jays fans as the 27-year-old infielder pulled on a Mets jersey for the very first time. 

Sportsnet's Shi Davidi spoke to Bichette after the press conference, where he revealed a little bit about the conversations he had with the Blue Jays before leaving. 

"Me and the Blue Jays were in touch all offseason," Bichette said. "They showed interest, but at the end of the day, it just became clear to me that this was the decision that I needed to make. 

"I only have fond memories of my time with the Blue Jays... I was open to [extending with the Blue Jays], we had conversations throughout the offseason, but it just didn't pan out." 

 

The fact that Bichette was open to returning to the Blue Jays may make losing him a bit of a harder to swallow for the Toronto faithful. For years, he and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. were the faces of the franchise, but now there will be a hole to fill in that spot. 

Vladdy had some heartwarming words about his friendship with Bichette after the news broke, and Davidi made sure to get his response to leaving his ex-Blue Jays running mate. 

"Vladdy is a brother for life, a friend for life," Bichette said. "Always loved him, and I value our friendship." 

While Bichette's tenure with the Jays ended on a high note, having helped the Blue Jays nearly win the World Series, things weren't always so rosy throughout his time in Toronto. 

There were many years when the team underperformed, and he struggled both at the plate and in the field. During all those hard times, Blue Jays fans seemed to always have Bichette's back. 

He made sure to take some time to thank all the Jays fans who supported him through his seven seasons in Toronto. 

"I only have fond memories of the fans. They supported me so much through so much," Bichette said. "Thank you, thank you for all the support, you guys mean a lot to me. Toronto will always be in my heart, and I'll see you guys in June." 

Bichette will make his return to the Rogers Centre on June 29 as the Blue Jays will host the Mets. 

Lead photo by

@Mets/X


Latest Videos



Latest Videos


Latest in Sports & Play

Toronto Blue Jays trade struggling Eric Lauer to Dodgers

Toronto Blue Jays pitcher was having a fashion crisis when he got MLB call-up

Toronto Maple Leafs shakeup continues with longtime executive leaving team

Second round of free Toronto FIFA Fan Festival tickets sold out lightning quick

How to watch tonight's untelevised Toronto Blue Jays game

What would it take for Toronto Raptors to pull off a trade for Giannis Antetokounmpo?

6 coaching candidates for Toronto Maple Leafs to consider after firing Berube

Ontario arena built 40 years ago to attract NHL lands PWHL expansion team