mcguinty public inquiry g20

McGuinty snubs G20 public inquiry request

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty said today that a public inquiry into G20 police actions is unnecessary.

Hundreds of people marched on Queen's Park yesterday, calling for an independent investigation into police conduct during the summit in Toronto. Yesterday's rally followed an even larger protest last week, where more than 1,000 people gathered to demonstrate against police tactics during G20.

But today, speaking with CTV Toronto, McGuinty said there is no need to move forward with an independent investigation. Dalton "No Comment" McGuinty has also said little about the five-metre rule that never was. NDP Leader Andrea Horwath told the Canadian Press she thinks the Ontario government deliberately withheld information that would have clarified whether police had the power to arrest individuals within five metres of the security fence.

Somebody better tell McGuinty to use his inside voice, because that silence is deafening.

Photo by Jackman Chiu.


Join the conversation Load comments

Latest in City

Toronto is really frustrated with overflowing garbage bins

Toronto is getting a futuristic-looking vertical farm

There's going to be a strike against Doug Ford in Toronto next week

TTC hopes to alleviate overcrowding with floor signs

New white nationalism posters spotted around Toronto

Turkey spotted wandering around downtown Toronto

What's open and closed Easter Monday 2019 in Toronto

What's open and closed Easter Sunday 2019 in Toronto