Monday, November 24, 2014Mostly Cloudy/Windy 7°C
Music

VELD thumps two days of EDM into Downsview Park

Posted by Aubrey Jax / August 5, 2014

VELD FestivalThis weekend VELD, Caribana, and OVO Fest made Toronto's downtown streets safe for all haters of fun, and us goths especially have Downsview Park's explosion of almost 40,000 colour-saturated, scantily clad EDM fans to thank. The neon troops danced up a storm to Calvin Harris, Zedd, Armin Van Buuren, DVBBS and more on Saturday and Sunday. While Waka Flocka couldn't show, Iggy Azalea was there assuring that we'll drop a "Fancy" reference along with every radio station you tune into right now.

The weekend turned into a tragedy for one young couple, apparently linked to drugs sold on site. 13 others were taken to hospital. While fatalities should never only reduced to statistics, the sadly common occurrence of death at EDM festivals are, as this Billboard piece points out, a conversation the scene needs to have. Watch out for each other, dance fans.

Here are 35 photos of one of Toronto's biggest summer raves (just kidding, we didn't say rave).

Rob / August 5, 2014 at 01:46 pm
The "music" is so bad, you need to risk dying to have a good time. What happened to a joint and some good ole rock n roll? Just don't get idolizing guys on stage playing mp3s from their apple laptops while fiddling with EQ knobs.
AV / August 5, 2014 at 01:47 pm
Lol at the sea of bros in tank tops. Is that the uniform now? In "my day" it was white gloves, fun fur pants, and a towel over the shoulders (at varying times).
Malcolm / August 5, 2014 at 01:49 pm
I love electronic music but wasn't interested in this because imo the musical diversity was about 1/10th of that offered at Digital Dreams. That being said, it sounds like there were good vibes at Veld all weekend and everyone who I know that went had a great time.

Drugs have once again become a problem, especially here where most of the attendees were very young and quality of music wasn't exactly their highest priority.

I actually blame Madonna for for much of this... going onstage with Avicii at Ultra a couple years back and asking "if anyone has seen Molly" pretty much re-authorized every impressionable kid to ingest hard drugs at these parties and has been a major turning point for the scene.
poo poo replying to a comment from Rob / August 5, 2014 at 01:55 pm
Ready to get your mind blown: What if I told you that it's ok to enjoy more than one type of music?

Remember when "good ole rock n roll" was considered Satan's music?
poo poo replying to a comment from AV / August 5, 2014 at 01:57 pm
Don't forget cigarettes, malnourishment and a crippling addiction to horse tranquilizers...
Skye replying to a comment from Malcolm / August 5, 2014 at 01:58 pm
Really? Considering that to the Kids These Days, Madonna is an old lady that their aunts think is awesome for some reason, I doubt Her Madgesty is to blame for drug use in EDM music.

Jacob replying to a comment from Rob / August 5, 2014 at 02:10 pm
I hope you're aware of how much of a cliche you sound like.
AV replying to a comment from poo poo / August 5, 2014 at 02:16 pm
No one got addicted to K dude, physiologically impossible. Also just the jib kids were malnourished, however if you caught up with some of those same kids today you would never know!
Malcolm replying to a comment from Skye / August 5, 2014 at 02:16 pm
Tis why she latches onto new acts and trends like Avicii's headlining set (which was also broadcast over the internet to tens/hundreds of thousands). Note that the upcoming album she was attempting to promote was called 'MDNA'.

Anyway, just the way I saw it. I'm almost 40 and have seen plenty of things come and go with electronic music. I was really happy with the direction "raves" were going up to that point (yes I'll take fit, college-educated 'bros & babes' at Ontario Place over 14-year olds in fun-fur tripping on K in the corner of a dirty warehouse), but I think there's been a notable decline in the quality of both the attendees and the music they'll listen to since that moment.
gz / August 5, 2014 at 02:44 pm
veld aka my personal nightmare
Skye replying to a comment from Malcolm / August 5, 2014 at 02:57 pm
Fair point. Though my thoughts were that she was latching onto what was already cool, so it couldn't have been her influence...but ANYWHO, I think we're saying the same thing...
Dj replying to a comment from darwin award / August 5, 2014 at 03:11 pm
Hey, making electonic music sounds so easy the way you say it, just hitting play on the ipod. How about you just whip up a high quality dance mix right now and post it right here. We can all give you honest feedback on how totally awesome it probably will sound with no more effort than you hitting "play". It shouldn't take you more than 2 or 3 minutes...let's go bud. Let's see how little musical talent it actually takes for you to play your 'ipod'.

Hey, on a sidenote, why was it that Bob Dylan was booed off the stage at Newport again? I"m sure EVERYONE in that audience today 100% sticks by their booing. Will you when you're in the old folks home? Darwin award indeed...oh the irony...do you understand the concept of 'evolution'?
Mark replying to a comment from Dj / August 5, 2014 at 03:23 pm
Your 'music' is shit and the attendees needed mind altering and lethal substances to enjoy it.
Darwin replying to a comment from Dj / August 5, 2014 at 03:54 pm
it seems we hit a chord .......LOL. I have no problem for people who like EDM or make it, it does require talent to make the music, but when you're at a concert like this you're paying someone to hit play on their ipod. $200 is a lot to cough up for that kind of performance.

Oh and don't ever compare EDM to Bob Dylan....ever.
Billy / August 5, 2014 at 04:02 pm
This scene is nothing like it was back in the golden days of rave in Toronto. But arguing about the music and the talent has nothing to do with it. It's the people who make the party.
Stu / August 5, 2014 at 04:03 pm
I love the ignorant people who appear to know nothing about electronic events piping up and writing as if they have a clue. Hate to break it to you, but drug use is all over this city. The difference between people 25+ doing drugs is they (generally) know their limit and obtain from a known source. Those younger (generally) do not care and keep taking pills until they can't stand. I've never been to a country music show so who am I to comment on what goes on?

Know your limit and party within it. Oh, and free water helps.
Rob replying to a comment from Rick / August 5, 2014 at 04:04 pm
EDM DJing is a complete joke.

Hip hop turntablism - proper vinyl - isn't.
Billy replying to a comment from Rob / August 5, 2014 at 04:10 pm
Truth
shhh replying to a comment from Rob / August 5, 2014 at 04:13 pm
It's okay, Molly doesn't love you either hahahaha VELD WAS THE BEST THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!
Jacob / August 5, 2014 at 05:39 pm
Blame it on Madonna? Sure.

You could also blame it on a cause much closer to home: Young, easily-influenced idiots actually idolize our drug-chugging, un-arrestable mayor. Just search his name on Twitter.
Spike replying to a comment from Rick / August 5, 2014 at 06:52 pm
Oh, lookee here, yet another clasic rock addict bitchimg about EDM? Eager to tell the kids to 'get off your lawn', grandpa?

Just because they aren't intorock desn't mean that their music's crap-please go back in time and stay there, or go and fuck yourself.
Rick replying to a comment from Spike / August 5, 2014 at 07:11 pm
I'm sorry Spike. I'm just mad because my Fixodent ran out yesterday and now I can't eat anything but baby food. I hate strained peas!
Perks & Layton / August 5, 2014 at 07:26 pm
Dance, dance, danciedance!!
Foghorn Leghorn / August 5, 2014 at 07:28 pm
Lookee hearah! I say, I say, Boy! Speak up Boy! Can't hear ya, boy!
Jail Bait / August 5, 2014 at 08:16 pm
I don't blame anyone for loving this stuff they're basically fed it. Let the fools have their tartar sauce.
Don / August 6, 2014 at 07:29 am
I stay home and play Dance Dance Revolution. Much safe
u_look_like_wham / August 6, 2014 at 07:52 am
2 dead. toronto will ban this event. Giorgio Mammoliti was right all along. even carabana had a better record this year, only 6 shot critically.
Hmmm / August 6, 2014 at 10:01 am
This happened the same week Rob Ford was cruising in Deadmau5's car?
Something seems fishy here...Where's Bill Blair?
Skye replying to a comment from Rick / August 6, 2014 at 10:20 am
Annnnd there's the "My Music Can Beat Up Your Music" comment from Rick. Seriously, your comments are like Old Guy Bingo. Should we get off your lawn now?
Little Ricky replying to a comment from Rick / August 6, 2014 at 10:49 am
And Classic Rock wasn't built on and listened to by people that were high throughout the 50's, 60's and 70's??? How many OD'd rock stars are on your list there little Ricky.

Babalu!!!
Richard Rick the III / August 6, 2014 at 10:54 am
Rick: "I'm oooooold! And I'm not happy! And I don't like things now compared to the way they used to be. All this progress -- phooey! You were born, got in line, and ya died! And that's the way it was and we liked it!"

pogopoe / August 6, 2014 at 10:55 am
City gets a cut: measured response by police and municipal government.

Money talks.
ShitinmyPants/Strained Peas / August 6, 2014 at 12:05 pm
I think Rick is badly constipated and needs to hear the music so he can shit. Strained peas cpog you up!
My Music / August 6, 2014 at 12:07 pm
I like noise. I like bebop. I like screechy opera. I like nursery rhymes and Bulgarian chorale music.
Richard Rick the III replying to a comment from Peter / August 6, 2014 at 12:29 pm
One day your mother and I hope that you grow up to be a respectful member of society and learn to respect the choices of others that don't effect you.

You'll have happiness and freedom from the need to jam your negative opinions down on others. Your heart will be free from your desire to give unsolicited advice. You'll learn to let others make their own choices and learn from their choices.

We wish the best for you in becoming the responsible adult that we tried to raise from day one.

No pressure but maybe one day even find a life partner or soul mate to share our family with?
Christian rock / August 6, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Hey RICK who are these rock stars that your listening to? Is it Christian rock? I was trying to research Classic Rock and all I can find on the internet is the most popular ones and they've all seemed to have overdosed they don't really seem like good role models at all.

Kurt Cobain
Layne Staley
Vic Chesnutt
Darby Crash
John Bonham
Johnny Thunders
Christian rock replying to a comment from James / August 6, 2014 at 01:49 pm
You mean the music of wasted drug addicted failures that you're still pathetically impressed by. So cool they did so much Heroin and Coke they eventually died. Too bad the world has moved on and they chose to get left behind. Don't celebrate and glamorize the additions of your fallen idols. It's sad, sick and depressing.
Skye replying to a comment from James / August 6, 2014 at 02:06 pm
That's what my grandfather said about the Beatles and the Rolling Stones 50 years ago. Comments like yours will be mocked by kids in history class a generation from now.
Music Discussion... / August 6, 2014 at 03:41 pm
...is very important, but what about the dubble bubble versus juicy fruit argument? Talk about important!
Cereal / August 6, 2014 at 03:43 pm
Captain Crunch versus Frosted Flakes
Uncle Jammy replying to a comment from Unkle Ice T / August 6, 2014 at 04:04 pm
Yes I've heard of Slayer their guitarist Jeff Hanneman died of alcohol abuse and refused to seek rehab or therapy. LAME

Ohh and for Pantera. Pantera and Damageplan Guitarist Dime Bag Darrel (a drug reference) was shot and killed by an obsessed fan.

Wow this sounds like great music and great fans. Let's hang out!
DRI - Suit and tie guy / August 6, 2014 at 04:12 pm
Hang onto your classic rock past very tightly y'all it ain't coming back.

I'm just glad that I'm open to enjoying many different types of music. Aren't iPods great, I can skip from the Allman Brothers, to DRI, to Helmet, to Jackson 5, to Moby, to Jay Z, to the Beatles, to Danzig, to DaftPunk, to the Scorpions, to Prodigy, etc. etc. etc.

We no longer need to be defined by our musical tastes and the clothes we wear, unless your still a pre-teen needing to scream to the world what your into...
Spike replying to a comment from Rick / August 8, 2014 at 03:04 am
You can't even spell right, and I'm supposed to pay attention to you? Get real, Grandfather, and go stick to the back yard in suburbia where you belong. Better yet, turn the classic rock off and listen to something else, or stop coming to Blog TO.
It doesn't matter / August 9, 2014 at 01:27 am
To all of the edm supporters in this blog thank you for your continued support. And for you hipster idiots that listen to your gay indie music stop being a bunch of haters and go ride your e-bikes and go doing something good with your time and save a tree or something of that nature you bunch of modern day hippies !!! #veldrules#hipatersarethescumofrheworld
the riffa replying to a comment from Spike / August 14, 2014 at 04:21 pm
Take that shit back to Mississauga.. I'm tired of brain-dead suburban EDM fools colonizing our space...
Spike replying to a comment from the riffa / August 15, 2014 at 12:33 pm
Kiss my ass, you singled minded moron. Rock & roll can't be everything in music, and it's time for you to deal with that.