Wednesday, October 22, 2014Mostly Cloudy 9°C
Fashion & Style

40 bright and beautiful photos from Caribana

Posted by Staff / August 5, 2014

caribana parade 2014 torontoCaribana 2014 (or the Scotiabank Toronto Caribbean Carnival, as the organizers like to call it) wrapped up in a blaze of colour Saturday with the festival's famed annual parade. Three weeks of Caribbean cultural celebration culminated in a day-long procession featuring elaborate, glittering floats and costumes. We were on hand to capture some of the festival's boldest, brightest, most beautiful looks (and a little behind-the-scenes action).

Check out all the action in our slideshow of the 2014 Caribana Parade.

Photos by Alejandro Santiago.

KevinN / August 5, 2014 at 08:31 am
Looking good. Glad everyone had a good time. Weather held up too.
mike in parkdale / August 5, 2014 at 09:22 am
Looks like a blast. The photo of people hopping a fence could use some context.
alan / August 5, 2014 at 11:59 am
people jumping the fence...

I haven't been for several years...BUT...watching from behind the fence is a real drag...first of all to get a spot at the fence is damn near impossible and if you can you're watching through the fence...and if you want to take a photo there's a fence in each frame....SO...jumping the fence and getting in the parade is the only way to see it all and to get some super fantastic images...I've always maintained that it's not as much fun unless you're in it...
philmar / August 5, 2014 at 12:48 pm
It was a great time, great party, great music, great costumes and great weather....and the fooooood!!
It's usually my summer highlight. here's a gallery of about 200 great Caribana photos from the last 8 years:
kina / August 5, 2014 at 04:36 pm
Such beautiful people and lovely colours. Wish I went this year! Its just too crowded sometimes. After seeing the pictures I realized that venturing through the crowd woulve been worth it. Oh and the chick in the blue showing her booty…if you see this…your tights are rad. where can i get me some?
lizzy / August 6, 2014 at 08:53 pm
Hopping the fence is essential.
I was supposed to go this year and I knew that I had to make sure I had the strength to hop a fence.
When you see carnival in other places there is no fence - the public can join the parade.
I understand the fence is up for a reason, but I'd rather be in the action.

Sad I missed it. There's always next year.
J Gray / August 7, 2014 at 12:51 pm
All these people who think the fence is a major inconvenience they should consider paying for a costume. The masquarders pay top dollar to play in the bands.80% of the spectators travel a long way to see the costumes, not people dancing in the streets. Remove the costumes and see how many spectators show up. I personally hate non masquarders in the band. That is why I play mas and a large one for that matter. All who want to dance in the bands. BUY A COSTUME.
evet / August 7, 2014 at 05:42 pm

I was very disappointed that this years parade started and ended early. This years event fell quite short of its usual time. Another disappointing aspect was the fact that some of the trucks were on the side closer to the spectators. This caused the masqueraders to be blocked from the audience. It was very disappointing and as a spectator, I expected better.
jilly replying to a comment from alan / August 8, 2014 at 10:20 am
so then work on the costumes for months, get a wristband and take pictures!! lol. huge issues with fence jumpers this year.
jilly replying to a comment from lizzy / August 8, 2014 at 10:21 am
in Trinidad the masqueraders are properly sectioned off from outsiders. When you pay $$$$ for a costume it isn't nice to entertain freeloaders. That's like throwing a party and having people come and eat your food and you don't even know them.
simongood / August 11, 2014 at 12:50 pm
this parade brings trouble to my neighbourhood. 3 people shot, man stabbed multiple times in the chest, blocks from my house. sorry not down with this bullshit.
SR replying to a comment from alan / August 14, 2014 at 10:51 am
Some of these comments irritate me....you 'fence jumpers' have absolutely NO idea of the amount of work, volunteer hours and dedication that go into putting these presentations together which all fall to sh*t when people in dirty jeans and white t shirts join your band. I paid an obscene amount of money for my costume this year - do you think I like sharing the road with a bunch of fence-jumping freeloaders? Storming the bands was HUGE problem this year, you guys have no idea of the amount of problems you cause. Its not a STREET PARTY, its not a BLOCKO it's a PARADE and Competition of the Bands! Respect the mas or STAY HOME.
SR replying to a comment from lizzy / August 14, 2014 at 10:57 am
Lizzy, not sure what festival you are talking about - in other caribbean carnivals in the world, people cannot simply join in the parade. If you tried that in Trinidad, you would end up in the emergency ward...down there they have what is called an 'Extraction Team' a group of very intimidating looking men who take a no nonsense attitude towards stormers. Our parade in Toronto is f*cked up largely due to the sense of entitlement people feel where they can walk in off of the street and join a parade that they had absolutely hand in helping to create.
Shelly / August 14, 2014 at 11:09 am
Lastly...the reason why fences are up in the first place is to protect the masqueraders AND the presentation. Yes, bands have a presentation - a theme that is meant for display and prevail on the Lakeshore, not to be sullied by fence-jumpers. If people here respected the mas and the artform, there would be no need for fences and the money could be spent elsewhere.