Wednesday, October 22, 2014Partly Cloudy 11°C
Music

Huge dance party BBQ coming to Sherbourne Common

Posted by Aubrey Jax / August 28, 2014

today in TorontoDance parties and barbecues aren't exactly rare in Toronto, but here's one that's shaping up to be massive - and the food is free. You don't even have to risk mystery corn dogs this time.

San Francisco deep tech house label Dirtybird are bringing their BBQ skills to Toronto as part of their first ever food-and-bass summer tour. The September 6th Fool's Gold party may have been moved to Muzik Poolbar (yeah, weird), but luckily you can party at Sherbourne Common on September 7th instead. With free food.

Next weekend dance fans and gloomy back-to-schoolers can munch and move (was that dirty?) their cares away to Dirtybird's Claude Von Stroke, plus Justin Martin, J. Phlip, Christian Martin, and more at the east end waterfront spot for $25 all inclusive, San Francisco style (okay, when I lived in SF all I did was hang around in parks eating snacks free of charge - but I also paid $450 per month to live in someone's dining room).

This party looks to be a little more than a little barbeque or DJ tour, anyway. Hundreds are expected to attend, and Dirtybird, which started out with "friends, a BBQ and a sound system in a park" then gave birth first to a label and now to their first international tour, are bringing their longtime personal chef from San Fransisco up to cook the grub. The catch? This is Toronto - the free food will run out fast. The dirty bird gets the worm, and all that.

Dirtybird BBQ is Sept 7 at Sherbourne Common. Find tickets here.

Photo by Diamond +Schmitt Architects

Gary / August 28, 2014 at 05:41 am
Is this going to be like Ford Fest where you have to line up for 2.5 hours just to get a free, shitty hamburger? I hope I never get that desperate for food because there is no way in hell, I'd be doing that. I'll trek over to Burger King and get my 1.39 burger there or better yet, I'll just walk up Yonge Street and buy myself a big, fat, chicken Shawarma.
Mar / August 28, 2014 at 08:35 am
Are we sure they aren't moving it to muzik? Fools gold being moved to muzik is maybe the stupidest thing. Muzik is despicable and it's owned by the dickbag who tried to ban embrace and others from hosting events anywhere near it. How do I trade in my fools gold tickets for dirty bird tickets
InNoWayRelated replying to a comment from Gary / August 28, 2014 at 08:58 am
I'd line up for a free Shawarma any day.
David / August 28, 2014 at 09:27 am
How come people can close off public parks and charge admission?
gz replying to a comment from Mar / August 28, 2014 at 09:35 am
that's what you get for buying fools gold tix ;)
Ray replying to a comment from David / August 28, 2014 at 10:07 am
Go down to the CNE and ask why you have to pay to enter the grounds for the past two weeks?

Go ask Caribana why you have to pay to watch the parade?

Why did I have to pay to get into Electric Island on Toronto Island and Olivia Chow got in for free?
Aubrey replying to a comment from Mar / August 28, 2014 at 11:33 am
So far so good for staying at the park.
tammy / August 28, 2014 at 12:38 pm
Wait, is the food free or do you have to pay $25? This is not clear.
Shambo / August 28, 2014 at 01:46 pm
The party is $25 to get in and it comes with a free BBQ (while the food lasts)
Alex / August 28, 2014 at 04:06 pm
The BBQ is not free if you had to pay to get in to the event. Bogus...
ARC replying to a comment from Gary / August 28, 2014 at 04:21 pm
Do you have any idea what this event is about? Or do you just hate lining up for food? Either way, you seem to have it all figured out.
Ashley replying to a comment from Mar / August 28, 2014 at 05:27 pm
It has been moved to Muzik. Found out today when I went to get tickets. Changed mind. So stupid. New hours also- Noon till 9 or something.
rebl / August 29, 2014 at 04:44 am
Its free 25 bucks for vip all inclusive can any if you read!
stive / August 29, 2014 at 08:37 am
they're probably going to close down this party and build condos!! Aghhh
christopher / August 29, 2014 at 09:05 am
stive-great line, made me laugh.
jeff replying to a comment from rebl / August 29, 2014 at 11:18 am
I don't think it is free for anyone....