Thursday, December 18, 2014Cloudy -3°C
Music

Deadmau5 takes Rob Ford for Purrari coffee run

Posted by Aubrey Jax / July 31, 2014

Rob Ford Deadmau5Mayor (he's still the Mayor, how about that) Rob Ford went for a ride this week with Toronto EDM star Deadmau5, sans mouse mask, to grab drive thru coffee in the Deadmau5 Purrari (a Ferrari custom wrapped as a "Nyan Cat Car").

They talk about internet jokes, BMX scams (damn all bikes), and potholes, and while at first Deadmau5 looks like a kid in a candy store, he relaxes and just starts nerding out with Ford, looking a little bored at times. It's like watching someone hang out with someone else's dad, and Ford shifts between various layers of discomfort and glee as he keeps the conversation going. The truly beautiful moments are periods of silence.

Ford admits he likes espressos with his Italian friends (not lattes, though, of course) and at the Tim Hortons drive thru they order a double double for Deadmau5 and five espressos in one cup for Ford. Ford giggles over Deadmau5's worldly "single, double, and a double" explanation and pays for the both of them - very dadcore. Ford refers to himself and Deadmau5 as "celebrities" at one point.

Deadmau5 is trying to sell his car, which apparently goes to 210 miles per hour, and thanks to Ford's coffee run the value just shot up. This car belongs in city a museum now, along with Ford's mayorship.

GordonDECO / July 31, 2014 at 12:27 am
Robbie farted on the passenger side. It be worth millions.
Say it ain't so, Deadmou5! / July 31, 2014 at 01:37 am
Are you frigging serious? Deadmau5 just went way down in my estimation. I can't believe he would give freebie publicity to Frod, of all people.
McRib / July 31, 2014 at 08:12 am
Is there anyone who actually watched this? I lasted until just after Rob put his seatbelt on.
4ChanApologist replying to a comment from Say it ain't so, Deadmou5! / July 31, 2014 at 08:17 am
The dude's always been a troll, I'm sure he's just doing it to get people riled up rather than as an actual supporter.
Todd / July 31, 2014 at 08:43 am
Great news for FordNation this puts Rob closer to those young voters that dont really vote on the issues but purely a popularity contest.

Enjoy the Iron Sheik Olivia voters.
Ian / July 31, 2014 at 08:54 am
Atta boy car pooling is where its at!! Is this supposed to be like the driving with Seinfeld webisodes?
Jay / July 31, 2014 at 08:58 am
no pictures of the car? Ahhh
Playground / July 31, 2014 at 08:58 am
Where does it say that just because you voted against an idea you cant later celebrate the hard work and efforts of others once the project has been completed.
rob / July 31, 2014 at 09:07 am
That passenger seat belt got a workout. That belly is a jiggling
jackson / July 31, 2014 at 09:10 am
Fuck Deadmaus, I can't believe he would give this piece of shit good publicity. BOYCOTT!
Indianguy / July 31, 2014 at 09:10 am
Yes? Hi!

The Rob Tord is now joining the car poo!
Iron Sheik / July 31, 2014 at 09:24 am
Who is this Deadmaus? I still endorse Olivia!

Jason replying to a comment from Playground / July 31, 2014 at 09:28 am
To explain why what Rob Ford did was wrong:
-He was the only nay vote in a 34-1 vote for the playground, which was made with $140 000 in *private* money (no cost to the city)
-He made the extraordinary step of showing up for the Parks and Recreation committee, the only time he actually showed up to one of their meetings, to vote against it
-When it opened he claimed "I started this", even though it was the work of Maria Aguimeri. He didn't acknowledge his past opposition and say his mind was changed, he lied and claimed credit for it when he was the single biggest obstacle to it being constructed
Playground replying to a comment from Jason / July 31, 2014 at 09:46 am
Don't get your panties in a bunch over this.

Clearly you think he's still going to win, and a petty issue like this is going to seal the deal.
jen / July 31, 2014 at 10:18 am
He didn't drink 5 "espressos", according to him he had 5 "expressos". I'm sure his Italian friends just love hearing him botch that word....what a dumb-ass.
Sam replying to a comment from jen / July 31, 2014 at 10:24 am
Just like we hate it Jen, when you botch the words Poutine, Pierogi and Roti.
Daker / July 31, 2014 at 10:42 am
So dissappointed that DM, who I thought was so cool did such an uncool thing. How are the gay community supposed to react to DM propping up this homophobe? Another Donna Summer blunder. Hey how about "DonnaMau5"?
Playground II / July 31, 2014 at 10:47 am
Nobody thinks he is going to win. Our "panties" are bunched up as we run to choose Tory or Chow. Personally, my "panties" are bunched, as they always are when I scrape dog shit (Ford) off the bottom of my shoe. Don't like the smell of dog shit (Ford).
Danny replying to a comment from Daker / July 31, 2014 at 10:47 am
You thought he was cool? He's wearing his own T-shirt. He's the equivalent of of the Beach Boys wearing their own Baseball hats 24/7.

Playground II / July 31, 2014 at 10:48 am
Especially at playgrounds.
Deadmus & Deadonelectiondayford / July 31, 2014 at 10:51 am
Me & Julio @the homephobic playground.
daker replying to a comment from Danny / July 31, 2014 at 10:51 am
Never met the guy but I think his mixes and productions are awesome. My comment is based on that. Very subjective I know but he used to be on the top of my playlist, now he is off. Moving on to others. Hello Maya Jane!
Coffee Terminology / July 31, 2014 at 11:05 am
"Ex"-presso for the "Ex"-mayor...soon Rob, soon.
Irwin Mimico / July 31, 2014 at 11:11 am
You guys are just mad that Mr. Ford got to spend time with a popular celebrity. I don't know who deadmau5 is but I like what he's doing with the mayor. Fordnation just got bigger! Oh ya and BlogTo, I like how you delete my posts, even thou I never break any of the rules. Your anti ford movement is pathetic if you have to resort to doing this! Meanwhile that loser above can post all kinds of nonsense with profanity by the thousands.
Jeremy / July 31, 2014 at 11:25 am
I enjoyed Rob's rant about distracted driving, given his history of doing paperwork while driving on the highway...
Andre / July 31, 2014 at 11:36 am
For all the haters in this thread, Deadmau5 is trolling here, not supporting.
jaaaaaaat / July 31, 2014 at 11:42 am
this is the most boring thing to ever happen
#WIN / July 31, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Robbie rubbing elbows with Deadmau5 #WIN

Olivia Chow rubbing elbows with the Iron Sheik #FAIL#Apology#ImSorry

the lemur replying to a comment from Andre / July 31, 2014 at 01:25 pm
You mean when he's acting like he's unaware that he may be seen as endorsing Ford and the whole 'Hey man, I don't know anything about politics' ... he's trolling us, or Ford?
Sammy / July 31, 2014 at 01:38 pm
Deadmau5 does this video series with all kinds of "celebs" your just becoming aware of it because Ford is the feature.
jen replying to a comment from Sam / July 31, 2014 at 01:52 pm
And when have I ever botched those words?
Zed / July 31, 2014 at 02:02 pm
So have you all also boycotted Jimmy Kimmel, CTV, CBC, Sun News, YouTube for broadcasting Rob Fords campaign out there???
The Loser Above - Fondly / July 31, 2014 at 02:09 pm
Irwin Mimico is the single greatest existential threat to his own existence. As a fictional character, Irwin only exists as long as we all believe in him, and as long as Rob Ford exists, i.e. Fordfucker is Mayor. Hence the Irwin Mimico disgraceful 'Re-elect Fordfucker' campaign. When voting, please consider Irwin's existence.
The Loser Above - Fondly / July 31, 2014 at 02:11 pm
Nah...it's still Chow or Tory...FIM!
Malcolm / July 31, 2014 at 04:44 pm
Eh, Mau5 lives downtown and is not exactly introverted... half of Toronto has probably socialized with him at some point. He's got a wicked sense of humour but (like any big time entertainer) some of the more vocal fans are dumber than bricks... hope this doesn't influence some of those to make a terrible choice come election day
Thanks for Explaining it All to Us / August 1, 2014 at 12:52 am
Ah! I get it! This was all ironic!! Thanks for explaining. Deadmau5 is too smart and foxy to do something as dumb as this obviously looks like, so it is all just the opposite of what it appears to clearly be. He chums with Ford and hangs out in his car, but no way would that indicate he would be part of Ford Nation. Nope, no way. Just ask him sometime. Probably. Not sure why on earth he would get in a car and be filmed buddying up to Robbie, but he must have had a reeeely good reason.

Yup. Buying that one.
Raquel / August 1, 2014 at 01:02 am
DEADMAU5 is a smart guy.

After watching it, (skipping through long parts) I think DEADMAU5 intention was to show to the people who are obsessed with Ford, that there is much to FORD and more to TORONTO than this crack scandal. He DOESN'T support ford, it kind of shows how to be human and have human conversation, and talk about other things.

DEADMAU5 also says the life of ford "Isn't WORTH writing a book about".
... A neutral position, not saying he's a good mayor, or that he's a devil.

If you don't like Ford, just don't vote for him, thats my plan (to not vote for him). Everyone in Toronto should pay much greater attention to provincial and federal politics, if they want the city to get what it deserves and not just be inflated.

At one point DEADMAU5 says "If I don't know who to vote for, I'll move to Milton" .
Rob Ford / August 1, 2014 at 12:43 pm
I got a subpoena!! Help! What does "truth" mean?
GREY / August 2, 2014 at 11:28 am
Everyone relax. Deadmau5 isn't supporting Ford in this, he is completely humiliation him. Can't you see him looking into the camera and laughing at Ford? He makes him look more like an idiot, so thanks, Deadmau5.
to GREY / August 2, 2014 at 01:43 pm
Nice try, but Deadmau5 totally handed Ford a freebie photo-op boost with this. You can read anything you like into his mind, but the fact is he went on a drive that was creepily Dad/Son-like with the worst mayor this city has ever had, and a mayor who is completely anti-culture. You don't think that is support? It sure as hell isn't doing anything productive like publicly denouncing Frod would have. Deadmau5 is my favourite local performer and I am completely shocked at his lack of judgement here. I'll still love him but in the back of my mind I do think a little less of him now than I did before.
That Loser Above / August 2, 2014 at 03:52 pm
"Thousands of profanities & All Kinds of Nonsense". So Irwin - do you know anyone else who uses a lot of profanity? Do you know anyone else who does and says all kinds of nonsense? I think you do...Rob Ford! Have you registered any complaints about him? Aren't you being hypocritical, Irwin? Your mother thinks so...I mean, you are Ford's bastard, aren't you?
Bravo / August 7, 2014 at 10:08 pm