Hot Ticket: Alcoholic Faith Mission, You Won't, Future Islands, The Milk Carton Kids, Spiritualized, M83
Live music picks for WEDNESDAY MAY 2 through MONDAY APRIL 6, 2012.
WEDNESDAY MAY 2 / ALCOHOLIC FAITH MISSION / THE DRAKE HOTEL / 1150 QUEEN W / $15 / 19+
There's something to be said about a band that takes the road less traveled when it comes to making their music. This is what sets Alcoholic Faith Mission apart from other indie rock bands - much of their music is composed with random household items standing in for instruments. It's a bit gimmicky, and it was much more prevalent in their earlier work, but it's still an interesting experiment. I can't speak on how it translates at a live show, but it should be unique, if nothing else. You Won't will offer support.
THURSDAY MAY 3 / FUTURE ISLANDS / THE HORSESHOE TAVERN / 368 QUEEN W / $14.38 / 19+
I'll be honest: synthpop music has never really been my thing. I can understand why it's popular, but it just doesn't do much for me. That being said, Future Islands is a band that has pleasantly surprised me. Their music is catchy and dreamlike, the lyrics are suitably thought-provoking, and they supposedly have an incredible stage presence. Head on down to the Horseshoe on Thursday to see if this is an accurate description.
FRIDAY MAY 4 / THE MILK CARTON KIDS / THE VELVET UNDERGROUND / 508 QUEEN W / $11.50 - $13 / ALL AGES
This gets my personal pick for the show that you should check out above all others this week. The Milk Carton Kids, a duo who specialize in folk tunes, are a band that I truly wish I'd discovered sooner. Since I stumbled across them recently, I've been listening to little else. And incredibly, you can get both of their albums for the price of on the house by visiting their website. It's wonderful stuff, and I can't recommend it highly enough. This is a show you won't want to miss.
SATURDAY MAY 5 / SPIRITUALIZED / THE PHOENIX / 410 SHERBOURNE / $27 - $35 / 19+
Spiritualized is a band that I've always wanted to see live (and sadly, I'll have to wait a little longer, as this show is apparently sold out). Their 1997 masterpiece Ladies and Gentleman We Are Floating in Space is one of my favourite albums of all time, and I can listen to its title track all day and never get tired of it. This is space rock at its finest, and if you can somehow score tickets, you owe it to yourself to check this show out.
SUNDAY MAY 6 / M83 / THE SOUND ACADEMY / 11 POLSON / $32.75/ ALL AGES
If you like fuzzed-out dream pop, then M83 is your ticket to paradise. Touring in support of their latest album, Hurry Up We're Dreaming, the big question here is whether or not the Sound Academy's system will do any justice to all the reverb that's sure to be on offer. Here's hoping it does.
RECENTLY ANNOUNCED CONCERTS
- Frankie Rose at Parts & Labor on May 2. $11.50.
- Fortune at the Garrison on May 3. $12.50.
- Eleanor Friedberger at the Garrison on May 4. $15.00
- Justin Rutledge at the Horseshoe Tavern on May 5. $17.50.
- Grouplove at the Wrongbar on May 9. $18.00.
- Maine at the Phoenix on May 9. $23.50.
- Never Say Never at the Mod Club on May 9. $25.00.
- Allen Stone at the Mod Club on May 11. $18.50.
- Mark Langean at the Mod Club on May 15. $21.00.
- Rat Scabies and Brian James at Lee's Palace on May 17. $14.50.
- One Direction at the Molson Amphitheatre on May 29. $30 - $60.
- Radiohead with Caribou on June 16 at Downsview Park. $81.00
- Laura Marling at the Phoenix on June 17. $25.00
- LMFAO with Far East Movement and more at the Molson Amphitheatre on July 4. $34.50 - 69.50.
- tUnE-yArDs at the Phoenix on August 1. $21.00.
- The Black Keys with The Shins at the Molson Amphitheatre on August 4. $35.00 - $.59.50.
- Justice & M83 with Austra and Buraka Som Sistema at Fort York:Garrison Common on August 4. $49.00 (+s.c.).
- Il Volo at the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts on August 25. Price TBA.
- Gordon Lightfoot at Massey Hall from November 14 - November 17. $45.00 - 85.00.
For more music listings, head on over to our events calendar.
Have an event you'd like us to plug? Submit your own listing to the blogTO events calendar.
Photo of Alcoholic Faith Mission courtesy of pieter.morlion on Flickr.