Thursday, April 17, 2014Partly Cloudy 0°C
MB Toronto

Morning Brew: Doug Ford called the cops on a Rob Ford impersonator, transit too political in Toronto, councillors due for pay rise, and Will Ferrell gets serious about Ford

Posted by Chris Bateman / December 3, 2013

toronto honest ed'sDoug Ford called the cops on a Rob Ford impersonator he says was stalking his mother Sunday. Doug confirmed he called the police and confronted Dave McKay, "a Vaudeville performer also known as Sketchy the Clown," on Weston Wood Rd. McKay had been hired as part of a bus tour: when the vehicle arrived he was to stumble through a nearby park dressed as Rob Ford. He called the accusation of stalking "ludicrous."

"I had the impression [Doug Ford] is a classy guy. Now I'll have to reconsider that," he told The Star.

The head of the Toronto Region Board of Trade says the city's transit decisions have become too politicized and less fiscally responsible. Speaking outside budget discussions at City Hall, Carol Wilding said her group isn't against the Scarborough subway, though it will likely require a bigger tax increase to finance, but would prefer a comprehensive regional strategy. Those monsters.

Doug Ford didn't take too kindly to Wilding's remarks, accusing her of being out of touch. "I know the folks in the Board of Trade. They love our fiscally prudent message," he told reporters.

Elsewhere, Toronto city councillors and Rob Ford could be in for a 1.5 per cent raise.

Rob Ford was forced to ask Premier Kathleen Wynne to let him in on a meeting planned for later today with Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly. Wynne announced she would be having "a get-to-know-you meeting" with Kelly, which (naturally) activated Doug Ford, who called both "unelected." Wynne's office says Ford will be allowed to attend.

Meanwhile, Kelly is making himself at home in his newly expanded office. The Deputy Mayor hung a portrait of former Metropolitan Toronto chairman Fred "Big Daddy" Gardiner where Rob Ford's fish tank used to be. Kelly said he admires Gardiner's ability to "think forward and think big."

Will Ferrell isn't joking (much) anymore about Rob Ford. Stepping out of his Anchorman character Ron Burgundy, Ferrell told The Star he's "amazed" at Toronto. "Considering it's such a sophisticated city, and that's the mayor. It's hilarious." he said. Ferrell dedicated a rendition of Loverboy's "Working for the Weekend" to Rob Ford on Conan O'Brien last week.

Finally, Rob Ford is going to be interviewed by someone familiar with scandal: convicted fraudster Conrad Black. The former media baron will speak with Toronto's embattled mayor on Vision TV, a spokesperson confirmed.

IN BRIEF:

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

Image: sigma/blogTO Flickr pool.

steve / December 3, 2013 at 08:23 am
what's with the quotes on unelected?
Neither was elected to the position they now serve
Its a factual statement
Yep / December 3, 2013 at 08:31 am
Who gives a sh!t what a rookie councilor like Doug Ford says, he gets way too much press that he doe snot deserve.

And we do not elect a premier the winning party with most sits won gets to appoint the premier. we do not directly vote for that person. So the stink Ford is making is B.S.
Skye / December 3, 2013 at 08:33 am
Poor Dougie sounds just like what he is: a has-been jock who still thinks it's 1985 and he's in high school. "I know those guys! Yeah, we're really good buddies! They'll totally back me up! So there!"

Can you blame him? It must suck to know that since your druggie brother has been stripped of all his powers, you've lost all your (imagined) influence too. Poor, poor Dougie.
Robert replying to a comment from steve / December 3, 2013 at 08:35 am
A premier is not an elected position.
Kathleen Wynne is a dully elected official for the riding of Don Valley west.She was dully elected as the leader by the party she represents. This is how the electoral system in Canada works.
matts / December 3, 2013 at 08:39 am
"I had the impression [Doug Ford] is a classy guy."

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike / December 3, 2013 at 08:41 am
Really weird that the right (especially the folks over at QMI) have such a problem with Kathleen Wynne's "unelected" status when they didn't seem to care when Ernie Eves was the "unelected" premier for a year-and-a-half.

If I didn't know any better, I'd call it a hypocritical double standard, but the right always tells us they're above that sort of thing.
matts / December 3, 2013 at 08:42 am
Oh, I had a good laugh above...

And it looks like funnies will continue and I am very much looking to Conrad & Rob chatting.
Al / December 3, 2013 at 09:01 am
Mayor Bloomberg of NYC is using Rob Ford's behaviour to try to lure film productions away from Toronto: http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/2013-ifp-gotham-awards-winners/
Elected is elected / December 3, 2013 at 09:05 am
Actually moron they were both elected.
Jamie / December 3, 2013 at 09:07 am
Wow Ford, Ford and more Ford. Can we keep it to one Ford story in the morning brew a day UNLESS it is actually big news, choose one story and go with it. Its getting pointless to read the Morning Brew anymore. Who cares that the fool Doug Ford called the cops on that fool and that foolish Ford bus tour.

Lets keep the Whynne story delete the rest and fill it with other city news. Did everyone hear that police officer passed away yesterday?
Jeff / December 3, 2013 at 09:26 am
ROB FORD the Mayor you LOVE to hate.
steve replying to a comment from Jeff / December 3, 2013 at 09:34 am
I just hate him, he has made me loose any amount of empathy for a human being.
Me replying to a comment from Jamie / December 3, 2013 at 09:39 am
Chris and Derek jerk off to these stories and unfortunately don't get no one else cares anymore.
Me replying to a comment from steve / December 3, 2013 at 09:40 am
It's made you loose, has it? Poor Baby.
steve replying to a comment from Me / December 3, 2013 at 09:50 am
If you don't have it you will not understand what it is like to loose it.
Me replying to a comment from steve / December 3, 2013 at 09:55 am
I had a tooth once that was loose.
T replying to a comment from Jamie / December 3, 2013 at 10:02 am
If "Its getting pointless to read the Morning Brew anymore," then stop reading it.

I don't get these people who endlessly complain about how much they dislike the site, or this or that writer, and yet continue to visit the site and post comments everyday. If you don't like it that much, then stop coming here and boring us with your complaints everyday. Nobody cares if you don't like it.
Me replying to a comment from T / December 3, 2013 at 10:04 am
And no one cares if you do. See how that works?
AV replying to a comment from T / December 3, 2013 at 10:05 am
...Said the person complaining about the complainers.

I'm guessing you're the type of person to reply all to a co-worker who replys all, stating "PLEASE STOP REPLYING ALL"
Jahn / December 3, 2013 at 10:08 am
As mentioned above, the premier is never directly elected by voters. People vote for the party.

As for the 'mayor', Rob Ford has no respect for his office, his fellow councillors and for the people of this city. He smokes crack, cavorts with murderers and drives drunk. He was stripped of his powers with due democratic process. Now he brays at them moon.

The Fords have been sidelined. Both Rob and Doug are now political pariahs destined to fade away in ignominy.
jen / December 3, 2013 at 10:24 am
And yet, Ford is ever so desperate to be in on that meeting with Wynne, even though she is, as brother Dug says, "unelected". What a tool.
DL replying to a comment from Yep / December 3, 2013 at 10:32 am
Barack Obama was a "rookie" Senator...
DL replying to a comment from Robert / December 3, 2013 at 10:34 am
Dully?
Jamie replying to a comment from T / December 3, 2013 at 10:36 am
I was just trying to say there is tons of news happening in the city that effects us all more than what Will Ferrell thinks of Ford. Majority of the Ford Stories should be pushed down into the IN BRIEF section and most of those IN BRIEF stories should be given their due and moved up into the main feature stories.

I have no problem with A Ford story in the top section but when its non news Ford stories dominating the features its a bit much. I visit BlogTo for alot of the articles not just morning brew. Maybe we can create a new section called "DAILY DOSE OF FORD"
Me replying to a comment from DL / December 3, 2013 at 10:38 am
And now he is the most dangerous man on the planet. At least Ford is harmless and just mere entertainment.
Steve / December 3, 2013 at 11:40 am
What a surprise that Doug Ford doesn't know how the electoral system works in Canada.

If it were up to him he'd threaten and bully everyone else to the top where he could pull his thug tactics without pesky "rules" to get in his way.
Malcolm / December 3, 2013 at 12:04 pm
Does Doug realize nobody elected him Mayor either?
Jahn / December 3, 2013 at 12:22 pm
We're still waiting on the lawsuit that Rob was going to launch against the City for stripping him of his mayoral powers. My bet is that this was just more hot air from the red-faced balloon.

More bombshells coming at the end of the week.
Steve replying to a comment from Malcolm / December 3, 2013 at 12:24 pm
He just got a taste of being co-mayor during Robbie-Boy's reign and liked the power. It went along perfectly with his thug personality.
Shirley / December 3, 2013 at 12:32 pm
REPLY: Steve
You don't strike me as an empathetic person. Don't blame your shortcomings on the Mayor.

REPLY: SKYE
Still at work, doing no work?

REPLY: Al
That wouldn't be hard to do (take business away).

REPLY: Jaimie
I heard. I feel terrible for his family and friends.

REPLY: T
Well isn't that "the pot calling the kettle black"?

REPLY: AV
LOL

REPLY: DL
LOL
Friar Canuck replying to a comment from Jahn / December 3, 2013 at 12:46 pm
People vote for their Member of Parliament or Provincial Parliament. The leader of the party is voted by members of the party.

If you're voting for the party as your primary choice, you're doing it wrong!
Jahn replying to a comment from Friar Canuck / December 3, 2013 at 12:49 pm
You're right!
Steve / December 3, 2013 at 01:04 pm
Hey look, the stay at home mom is back! Speaking of shortcomings, how was the most recent episode of Days of Our Lives?
linden / December 3, 2013 at 01:25 pm
you can totally blame the media for the quality of the news these days. I just checked cp24 and guess what is making a breaking news: "Watch the extended video as Coun. Doug Ford expresses his displeasure with a planned meeting between Kathleen Wynne and Norm Kelly"
on a positive note, the longer the official mayor remain in this post, less people would vote for him in 2014 and he will be gone for good.
Shirley / December 3, 2013 at 01:44 pm
REPLY: linden
I can't watch CP24 anymore. "Breaking News....It's raining!" Anything and everything is over dramatic. I don't listen to Will Ferrell either. Didn't think he was funny on Saturday Night Live, and I've never seen one of his films. He's just another person trying to re-ignite a dead career off of Rob Fords fame.
Shirley / December 3, 2013 at 01:52 pm
Hi Stevo! I see you were first in line today (again). Do you get brownie points for that?

Hate to disappoint you (and your fellow haters), but I don't watch daytime TV (although I am partial to The Doctors and cooking shows).
Plato / December 3, 2013 at 02:51 pm
Hopefully after Friday, when the rest of the ITO is released, mouth-breathers like Shirley will crawl back under their rocks.
Skye / December 3, 2013 at 03:04 pm
Should I be flattered that I'm the only one who gets an ALLCAPS from ol' Shirley here, guys? Fine, I'll be flattered. Looks like I get under the poor old dear's skin.

Haven't you got some kids to chase off your lawn, dearie?
Alex / December 3, 2013 at 03:24 pm
"He's just another person trying to re-ignite a dead career off of Rob Fords fame." Ha! Says you! I wouldn't call his career dead at all. How would you even know if you've never seen his movies? You were clearly asleep when SNL was on...
What? / December 3, 2013 at 11:59 pm
Funny how Wynne booked this highly publicized meeting for the exact same day she had to answer to the gas plant inquiry. She flew back to Ottawa and WOW on the footage she sounded like Ford as she snapped back with comments like,
I already answered these questions
Are you done?
I've already apologized and am moving forward with a new process
Shirley me what dave / December 4, 2013 at 01:58 am
Never forget that assholes will forgive Rob and Doug Ford for ANYTHING. They will always look the other way. Never forget
Shirley / December 4, 2013 at 02:00 am
REPLY: SKYE
LOL-Why do you keep talking to me like you're my grandmother?
Aren't you suuposed to be greasing a brass pole?.

REPLY: Alex
Dead as a doornail. Just because someone makes a movie doesn't mean people will go to see it (except people like yourself of course). I'd feel embarrassed walking into one of his movies. I had to quite watching Saturday Night Live because he bored me.

REPLY: Pluto
Nothings going to happen to change our minds (unless of course he committed a crime, and according to the police, he hasn't, otherwise they would've arrested him right?). What will any of those recordings show anyways, a drunk man making rude statements? Whoopee. There isn't many adults in Toronto who haven't been there and done that.

REPLY: What
I didn't know until today that she was the one who signed off on it. Did you hear about the big fat $10m bonus Chris Mazza received? Outrageous eh?