Saturday, October 25, 2014Mostly Cloudy 14°C
MB Toronto

Morning Brew: Ontario teacher walkout looms, casino meeting favors "no," sending messages to space, ferries could get ad wraps, and Leafs want better with Nonis

Posted by Chris Bateman / January 10, 2013

toronto st patrickHigh school teachers planning to strike over controversial Bill 115 tomorrow could be fined more than a thousand dollars each, according to the Toronto Star. If the strike goes ahead, more than 400,000 students will be forced to stay home from school, an outcome Premier Dalton McGuinty is hoping to avoid by going to the Ontario Labour Relations Board today. The union believes the action is allowed under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Judging from the crowd at City Hall last night, the public isn't willing to gamble on casinos. The first of five public consultation sessions on the subject ended with momentum firmly in the "no" camp. A splinter group broke from the official event shortly after the start to discuss ways of keeping a major gambling facility out of the downtown core.

Speaking of consultations, Metrolinx is gearing up for its own series of public meetings on how best to fund the next phase of Big Move transit projects for the province. There's currently a shortfall of several billion dollars that needs to be plugged. The first meeting is in Oakville on Jan. 15 at the Halton Regional Headquarters between 6-8pm.

Commander Chris Hadfield has been snapping pictures of the Earth from his position aboard the International Space Station, including a few of a snowy GTA and Lake Ontario region. Now, there's a plan to signal the astronaut next time he passes by. CBC Metro Morning's Matt Galloway floated the idea of a mass wave, possibly using lights, yesterday.

Toronto's ferry fleet could be wrapped in gigantic advertising banners to help raise much-needed operating funds. Back in 1999, Heritage Toronto killed plans to cover the Sam McBride in bright green Kool-Aid wrap for a summer after several councillors raised concerns the move could hurt the city's image. More than a decade later, is this a good way to raise revenue?

Finally, the Toronto Maple Leafs are hoping for a fresh start under new GM Dave Nonis. The team's owners fired Brian Burke as president and general manager yesterday afternoon but decided to keep coach Randy Carlyle. Surely Stanley Cup number 14 is just a few slapshots away...

IN BRIEF:

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

Photo: "365 - 322" by yedman from the blogTO Flickr pool.

steve / January 10, 2013 at 08:21 am
If it isn't a strike action, why don't they just hold the political protest on Saturday. Then there's no question of its legality
Skye / January 10, 2013 at 08:41 am
You need to hold a strike when people are going to pay attention, that's why.
AV replying to a comment from steve / January 10, 2013 at 08:47 am
Can't wait to hear the whole new level of whining when the teachers get hit with a 2,000$ fine. I'm sure it'll still be "about the kids"... lol
Chris / January 10, 2013 at 09:03 am
Can all employers now "impose" a contract and make striking "illegal"?
AV replying to a comment from Chris / January 10, 2013 at 09:20 am
No, but then again not everyone works for the government. After 11 months of bad-faith bargaining by ETF & OSSTF, and a time in which Catholic teachers; francophone teachers; college teachers; civil service supervisors; and most recently, school support staff (CUPE) plus public servants from OPSEU all settled on contracts with the government, this is what it comes to. ETF and OSSTF refuse to accept that they need to make concessions in this contract. 25 - 27% increase in pay in the last decade and they still want more? Get a grip.
BM / January 10, 2013 at 09:25 am
Just fine them then. These teachers are making a mockery of the profession.
Holf / January 10, 2013 at 09:35 am
Teachers in ontario are sacks of shite.. This has gone on too long.
Me / January 10, 2013 at 09:43 am
Teachers on strike. THERE'S news!! Sure. They might want to look at what happened to the garbage workers.........
Alex / January 10, 2013 at 09:56 am
You can't ban people from striking. If the government doesn't think they are worth the money then replace them and see what happens. Let's see if they can find anyone else willing to take a job where you only get paid for 10 months of work a year, deal with bratty kids, are on your feet most of the day, and have to work after hours marking and lesson planning.

If every job type had a union maybe Canada wouldn't be seeing our income inequality rising so rapidly.
Rich replying to a comment from Alex / January 10, 2013 at 10:23 am
Any person who becomes a teacher without doing due diligence regarding the working conditions, the job expectations, or the risks, is plainly put a fool. Its like a firefighter complaining about being subjected to smoke inhalation; they knew what they were getting into and accepted the risks associated with the profession.

Teachers choose to be teachers. If that's a decision they didn't totally think out ahead of time then there is no one to blame but themselves.
Picard102 replying to a comment from Alex / January 10, 2013 at 10:23 am
That's a great idea. Fire anyone who is striking on Friday and open their jobs up to the many teachers unable to get a job and are amenable to the terms of the contract.
Al replying to a comment from Alex / January 10, 2013 at 10:28 am
They are banned from striking. If they walk off the job and they are not in a legal strike position, they are participating in an illegal strike and can be punished.
Rob replying to a comment from Alex / January 10, 2013 at 10:33 am
Oh please.

Like none of us have jobs requiring us to deal with bratty adults (worse than bratty kids and more difficult to placate), requiring us to stand on our feet, or requiring us to work beyond 9-5.

And OH NO TEACHERS HAVE TO LEARN TO LIVE ON 70K A YEAR PLUS PENSION FOR ONLY TEN MONTHS. WAAAAAAA.

Try having more education than a teacher and trying to raise a family on 40K with no pension, including finding day care at the last minute so these entitled babies can whine some more on our dimes.

A Teacher replying to a comment from Alex / January 10, 2013 at 10:34 am
BRB, class. Making 70K with three months off a year, not including the five seconds it takes to "lesson plan" (i.e. looking at the curriculum, realizing it can't be changed and saying "yep, I'm teaching this next year")
CaligulaJones / January 10, 2013 at 10:56 am
I'm old enough to remember my teachers wearing "Save Us From Davis" buttons. These same teachers bragged that they help take down Peterson. They didn't like the NDP and the social contract. Obviously didn't like Harris. Now, they are fighting with McGuinty. When someone has a problem with a Red Tory, Liberal, Dipper, Right-wing Tory AND another Liberal, I think its safe to say: "maybe its just you".
MrsPotato / January 10, 2013 at 11:03 am
I'm not a teacher, but I have a lot of friends who are. And all they do is complain and bitch about how much they hate there jobs. I honestly can't think of one who 'enjoys' what they do. There Facebook status' are always moaning about how much they hate it! Thank god I don't have children, because most teachers hate what they do!!!!

I don't get it.
Why become a teacher if you hate it so much?!
Or, just leave and o something else if you think another job is so much better. (ps. another job won't give you 3 months off a year)
CanoeDave / January 10, 2013 at 11:03 am
One has to ask whether union leaders are required to park their brains at the door when they get elected. The only outstanding issue in this Teachers "crisis" is the sick days perk and as with the infamous Toronto garbage strike where sick days was the major issue the public thinks the perk is ridiculous. When Cohn of the Star writes an "enough is enough" column telling the Teachers to stuff it you know that the Teachers have lost their propaganda campaign for special treatment and are now only damaging their own credibility with the public and helping Hudak.
Alex replying to a comment from Rob / January 10, 2013 at 11:04 am
70k a year, after ten years: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/education/anatomy-of-an-ontario-teachers-paycheque/article6015968/

Yeah, teachers have good pay and benefits. Because they have a union, like I said. I never said teachers didn't assume the job would be hard, but they expect to be compensated fairly for it. If your job is hard and requires more than a masters, and you only get 40K for it, then it must not be very important or you have a terrible employer and are willing to put up with them. Either way it isn't the teachers' fault you didn't plan your career better.

I'm just so sick of people's answer to "my job sucks and I don't get paid enough" being "someone else should get paid worse so I feel better!" instead of the far more obvious "what can I do to improve things?". Stop whining about someone else getting paid better than you, and start looking at how they got that way and how you can improve your own life.
Chuck / January 10, 2013 at 11:12 am
I don't think you realize, probably because of your biased view, how utterly foolish this reads:

"If you think their job is so easy and they don't deserve the pay then do exactly what I said and fire them all and replace them. Duh. If the new teachers do just as good a job then everything is fine. If they don't then I guess we'll all learn why we need teachers."

Just fire em all and replace em! Just easy peasy, no cost to anyone! And if that doesn't work, just spend a whack more money hiring new ones! Its just that easy when you're spending someone else's money, right Alex?
Rob replying to a comment from Alex / January 10, 2013 at 11:13 am

You'd have a point here if teachers weren't public sector employees. They act this way, every year it seems, because they're entitled. I am their employer and they're taking advantage of me.

And not only does that have to end right now, it has nothing to do with what I do for a living in the private sector.
Rob replying to a comment from Alex / January 10, 2013 at 11:16 am
And teachers do have an easy job, one that they almost uniformly hate as someone mentioned early. Try finding a teacher who actually gives a shit beyond their pension and vacation time. I have two teachers in my family and they checked out as soon as they were tenured.

All of them. Fire them all, replace them with the many out of work younger, talented, passionate teachers.
Skye / January 10, 2013 at 11:28 am
Teaching, an easy job! WOW. Anyone who says that should be made to work as a teacher for a week. You'll run screaming from the building by Monday noon.
Alex replying to a comment from Rob / January 10, 2013 at 11:35 am
I never said it would be easy to fire them and replace them, but if you don't want to pay them what else can you do, exactly? You can't force them to work, it's not slavery. They can go on strike and not receive pay, and you can hire scabs to replace them. As an employer that's all you can do. If you feel an employee is taking advantage of you then you fire them.

I have a teacher in the family too, who won't work in Ontario yet because it is a one way trip. You join the union and that's it, you can't leave to work somewhere else and come back. The union has serious issues they need to take care of, but that isn't the public's problem, it's the teachers'.
Ryan replying to a comment from Alex / January 10, 2013 at 11:43 am
How about how they get pay raises? In the private sector, raises are based on performance. There are semi-annual/annual performance reviews that directly lead to the amount of an employee's pay increase.
Meanwhile, teachers get the glory of 3% contractually agreed upon raises. Additionally, they get raises on a grid system that grants raises based on experience/level of education.
For a teacher, there is no incentive to perform well. No wonder it's such a cushy job and so much of the public is angered.
As a private sector employee, I'm extremely jealous.
Rob replying to a comment from Skye / January 10, 2013 at 11:49 am
I'd gladly do their jobs for a week... hell, longer.

I could, at the very least, pretend to give a shit.
Skye replying to a comment from Rob / January 10, 2013 at 11:54 am
Then go for it. Because one quick look at your attitude and it's clear you'll be eaten alive.
Notahipster replying to a comment from Chuck / January 10, 2013 at 12:03 pm
I agree if they are not happy with their jobs and pay, then let them go. There is a very long waiting list of people who want to teach and just waiting on a job opening. Let them have the job with new contracts. So sick of my kids being pawns in the teachers selfish game.
Rob replying to a comment from Skye / January 10, 2013 at 12:06 pm
As mentioned earlier, some of us also have to deal with bureaucracy and something even worse than children-- petulant adults. It's in the bag, don't worry about me. Just worry about your precious pension. It's not like Little Timmy used after school football to escape his abusive father or anything.
onthebottom / January 10, 2013 at 12:30 pm
Why are we all so quick to race to the bottom? "they shouldn't be paid that much, that is just far too much pension, how dare they!"

Why aren't we asking why other jobs AREN'T being paid as well?

Why aren't we asking why there is so much discrepancy between the salary of people at the top and people at the bottom?

Rob replying to a comment from onthebottom / January 10, 2013 at 12:42 pm
Because they're public sector employees. That's why it's important to discuss their salary, pension, and benefits package, especially when it becomes a source of arrogance and general out-of-touchness. And that doesn't even mention the slew of skilled replacements available who would drop whatever they're doing to land their dream job and, just guessing here, wouldn't be so brazenly obnoxious and arrogant about it.

Also, the day I see a teacher protest wages outside a McDonalds, is the day I'll stand up for someone who makes two or even three times the median salary in the province. Instead, they want those McDonalds workers to contribute three more cents from their meagre pay to fund rollover sick days.
Arrow replying to a comment from Alex / January 10, 2013 at 12:44 pm
> [1] you only get paid for 10 months of work a year

If I was in the office for ten months, I'd get paid as such.

> [2] deal with bratty kids

That's kinda the job title

> [3] are on your feet most of the day

So is a chef, a surgeon, and wal-mart greeter. Don't forget, a teacher's active day ends at 3pm and includes at least one spare period and a lunch. "Most of the day" ain't that bad.

> [4] have to work after hours marking and lesson planning.

My office job has me pulling ten hour days and project implementations at midnight on a Saturday at least once a month. I don't get paid overtime, I accept that as a part of my job. I'm an adult now.
Skye / January 10, 2013 at 01:26 pm
Teachers, for the most part, have accepted that they have the most underappreciated job in the country. There's a good sample right here of the jealous ignoramuses who think teaching is an easy and overpaid gig. Bleat on all you like. That's no reason for teachers to stop fighting for basic worker's rights.
Rob replying to a comment from Skye / January 10, 2013 at 01:43 pm
Teachers, for the most part, have accepted that they have an incredibly cushy position and no longer have to respect the public. There's a good sample right here of out of touch teachers who think their lives are just soo sooo awful. Bleat on all you like. That's no reason for teachers to stop fighting for their own rights.

Fixed your post.
Me / January 10, 2013 at 01:52 pm
No ones "jealous". They're just tired of trying to get their kids educated while every few months the teachers are going on strike and whining about it.
Skye / January 10, 2013 at 01:57 pm
See, everyone! Rob so kindly showed us what a jealous ignoramus sounds like.
Chuck replying to a comment from Skye / January 10, 2013 at 02:09 pm
"basic worker's rights"... like banking sick days, right? God you're just a tad deluded and have simplified this argument to fit your mental framework.
Ryan replying to a comment from Skye / January 10, 2013 at 02:12 pm
Skye, I worked for 241 days last year. The TDSB has 194 school days, that difference means a teacher would have to work an extra 9.7 hours per week to equate to the amount I worked. Are you working consistent 50 hour weeks? I'm refering to in school hours, nothing at home as we all do a little work from home in this age of Blackberries and mobile communication.
That means showing up to work at 8:15 and leaving at 6.
Rob replying to a comment from Skye / January 10, 2013 at 02:22 pm
Jealous? No.

I have work ethic and integrity. Maybe teachers should give either of those a shot, but preferably both.
Skye / January 10, 2013 at 02:39 pm
I'm no teacher, people, I'm of the corporate world. Just so we're clear.

But I know many, many teachers, including my own parents, and no one works harder than teachers do.

For whatever the reason, the public has this fantasy that all teachers should be self-sacrificing Mary Poppinses, who should want to devote their lives to children 24/7 and who should only want to live on minimum wage. After all, the sheer joy of educating the next generation should be its own reward, amirite?

That's the only reason I can think of when the public is shocked-shocked, I tell you!-that teachers actually have interests outside of school, families they want to spend time with, and a desire for a fair middle-class salary.

Ryan replying to a comment from Skye / January 10, 2013 at 02:46 pm
Wow, that's a whole lot of ignorance to assume no one works harder than teachers do. I'm not claiming I'm the hardest worker, but I also don't think, in general, that teachers are the hardest workers.
I don't want to take teachers away from their families. I'm pointing out that they work fewer hours but paid on par with the rest of the middle class of the private sector. Why is that the case? If they work fewer than 200 days annually, they should be compensated as such. Thus, a fair salary would be 80% of average as they work 80% of the days.
As for that last comment, people in Toronto were pretty worked up over the garbage strike.
Chuck replying to a comment from Skye / January 10, 2013 at 02:49 pm
"No one else gets this kind of vitrol when they decide to go on strike, that's all I know."

You truly live in a bubble. Garbage workers? TTC workers? Nope, just the poor ol' teachers!

Did you remember to bulk order the "WHOA IS ME" shirts for the "protest" tomorrow?
Skye replying to a comment from Ryan / January 10, 2013 at 03:05 pm
Ryan, clearly you don't know any teachers or you wouldn't be saying this. The teachers I know are in the classroom by 8am (7am, if their school has an early start time)and are there until at least 6pm. More often, it's until the custodians ask them to wind things up so they can lock the doors at 8pm.

Are there bad teachers? Of course, there are bad employees in every profession. But to say they don't work as hard as you because they don't work as many days as you is foolish.
Niklas replying to a comment from Skye / January 10, 2013 at 03:36 pm
LOL, you think working from 8am to 6pm equals working hard!? Have you ever been a business owner? I've had months when I worked pretty much nonstop.. 6am to midnight 7 days a week!
Adam H. / January 10, 2013 at 03:51 pm
Right. I get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I go to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill, and pay the mill owner for permission to come to work, and when I get home, my wife and kids kill me and dance about on my grave singing Hallelujah.

Therefore, teachers don't work hard.
Ryan replying to a comment from Skye / January 10, 2013 at 04:07 pm
So after I finish work tonight, I could walk into a school at 7:30 and most of the classrooms will have teachers in them? Or I can stop in on my way to work tomorrow at 7:30 and they'd be there? I'll let you know.

I think we all know what the results of my experiment will be.
Skye replying to a comment from Ryan / January 10, 2013 at 04:10 pm
Oh, we do. I'll have your serving of crow waiting for you.
Rob replying to a comment from Ryan / January 10, 2013 at 04:24 pm
This is funny. It's like this Skye person has forgotten that we were once students as well.

Being a kid who often had to wait until 6-7PM for his parents to pick him up, I can confirm that more often than not the school was empty by 5PM.
Skye replying to a comment from Rob / January 10, 2013 at 04:58 pm
RIGHT. Now we know you're lying. If a school finds a child still waiting to go home hours after classes have ended, they're going to call child services.

Keep on trying, Rob. Your posts are funny for all the wrong reasons.
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from Skye / January 10, 2013 at 05:34 pm
Skye, I'm with you; my father was a teacher, and had to do all that you said in one of your posts. Teachers do an incredibly hard job under the circumstances, and they should be rewarded with the pay commiserate with what they do to shape young minds. This work is just as important as programming computers, driving a truck, being a CEO (which mostly consists of sitting on your ass all day long and bossing others, IMHO), being a police officer, etc. That most of the stupid neocon morons who responded to you don't understand that only shows how they've all been brainwashed by Big Media to believe that unions are bad, and unfettered capitalism is great. But, what else is new?

@Niklas, Chuck, Rob, Ryan, Adam H., Me; all of you need to get a life, grow a spine, get some brains, and realize that being in a union or agitating for one's economic rights isn't a bad thing. It seems that all of you are suffering from teacher envy AND union envy, so why don't you get off of your spotty behinds and organize unions at your places of work? Oh yeah, I know why you all won't-you all are a bunch of lazy, brainwashed neocon sheeple letting yourselves be mind-fucked by corporatist neocon propaganda about how great it is to work and consume, and not think! That's why what Skye and her fellow teachers does pisses you off. The thing is, at least they have the balls (and guts) to fight for their economic rights, while all of you lot have the ability to do nothing but what you're told to do-just like most sheeple. Enjoy being sheep, then.
Ryan replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / January 10, 2013 at 05:44 pm
I have seen the light! I have just quit my job and enrolled in teacher's college. I hope I'm good enough to make it as a teacher. As a stupid neocon moron, I don't think I can make it though since I've been brainwashed by Big Media for so long.
What I have been doing for a living as a sheep was far inferior to teachers. I can't believe, in my sheeple ways I haven't seen it. Please forgive me Simon and Skye! I beg your eternal forgiveness!!!

I will now join the ranks of the hardest working people in the world, teachers. I don't think I'll be able to survive, but thankfully those 2 months off should help.
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from Ryan / January 10, 2013 at 06:13 pm
Ryan, either you can do as I and Alex have suggested, or you can frankly kiss my ass if you're going to still be a stupid sheep-your choice. The old saying 'You're either part of the problem, or part of the solution' applies to you and the other brainwashed morons here, which means that you all must love to be fucked up the ass as much as possible by those who wield power. If not, then do what you should be doing-if so, then continue on your merry way.
Mark replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / January 10, 2013 at 06:47 pm
You keep bringing up farm animals but you have pig shit for brains. Ironic.
Me / January 10, 2013 at 06:48 pm
Ah, Simon, you've lowered yourself to namecalling and saying anyone who disagrees with you is "spineless". usually you post valid opinions but this time it's embarrassing to see. not agreeing with someone does not make one jealous of that person, nor would I be jealous just because I think the constant striking by teachers, posties, garbage workers, etc because they feel entitled too is more than a bit ridiculous. The teachers at my children's school don't even agree with this garbage but have no choice but to go along with the Union sheep or be punished for not going along. The 'problem' is entitled people who have jobs and are paid better than most of the working class in this country whining that they want more. People are speaking out more because they are getting sick and tired of these strikers expecting 'support' when they don't deserve it. We're lazy because we don't agree? How do you even co-relate that simon? MOST people outside the Unionised Elite are far from lazy. When most of us are unhappy with a job, we DO do something about it, we find a better job! I've worked places where all the employees would whine and moan about how much they hated their jobs and then go back out and do it, day after day after day and all I thought whilst listening to their whining was "Go get another job if you hate this one so much!". It's not just the teachers, it's our society that feels it's more entitled every day. besides, this is the internet and getting yourself worked up over something that isn't even real is just plain silly. Did you ever think that some people comment just to rile up those of you that think the internet is real life?
Me / January 10, 2013 at 06:52 pm
It would seem my caploc is lazy tonight though. Haha. And your wee internet meltdown WAS rather entertaining though.
Rob replying to a comment from Skye / January 10, 2013 at 09:43 pm
You ever hear of a school that has a playground, soccer field, and baseball diamond that gets used after school hours?

My school was one of those!

BUT OH NOES I MUST BE LYING 2
iSkyscraper / January 10, 2013 at 10:33 pm
It's pretty easy to see how Ford got elected by reading the comments on this board. A huge number of Torontonians, right and left (and myself included) really do not like unions. While I did not let this cloud my judgement about Rob Ford (1 right does not balance 999 wrongs) certainly many did.

Simon Tarses replying to a comment from Mark / January 11, 2013 at 12:14 am
The 'shit' is all in YOUR brain, sir, not mine. Please keep being a sheep, but don't expect me to join you.
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from Me / January 11, 2013 at 02:11 am
'MOST people outside the Unionised Elite are far from lazy. When most of us are unhappy with a job, we DO do something about it, we find a better job!'

And on, and on, the cycle goes, where it stops, nobody knows. You must like letting corporations kick you in the ass.

'People are speaking out more because they are getting sick and tired of these strikers expecting 'support' when they don't deserve it.'

'People' (and I use that term VERY loosely-the other word that I used applies to them more) are only 'speaking out' because they've been brainwashed by Big Media to do so, like you. Let me guess-you're one of the sheeple that used to insult the Occupy movement, right?

'We're lazy because we don't agree?'

You're lazy because instead of using the example of the teachers (and others) in this situation, you've decided that it's better to just sit back and let your employer fuck you. That's why I call you and people like you 'sheeple' instead of people.

'It's not just the teachers, it's our society that feels it's more entitled every day.'

Said 'entitlement' is a human right, enshrined in many constitutions and in the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights, and many people express that right around the planet. Unlike you and your fellow brainwashed sheeple whose minds have been corroded by years of neocon bullshit, at least they know how to fight for said rights, unlike you.

'Did you ever think that some people comment just to rile up those of you that think the internet is real life?'

This is a forum for discussion, and I'm disagreeing with you and many of your fellow dupes/stooges; the trouble is, you can't really argue the truth of what I Alex, and Skye are saying (nor can you doubt it when and while it's happening in the real world) and so of seeing said truth, you come up with a schoolboy howler like that. Many people use the Internet daily to do this-what's the difference between this site and those other sites where they do talk about labor issues?

'usually you post valid opinions'

This one is just as valid, except to people who can't see that they're being fucked, like you and all of the other sheep that bashed the teachers for going on strike. I'd suggest that people like you stop being brainwashed, and read some history about labor unions and what they fought, bled, suffered, and even died for and also realize that what's happening now is the same as what happened then, but knowing you, you'll just go back to doing the same things as usual, and being forever brainwashed. So it goes.
Haha / January 11, 2013 at 08:17 am
Bitter much?
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from Haha / January 12, 2013 at 02:34 am
Needing to post meaningless responses much?
Haha replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / January 12, 2013 at 01:28 pm
Like yours? ALL responses here are meaningless. It's an internet blog.
Opensourc1111 / January 13, 2013 at 03:21 pm
I wouldn't care whether a group was unionized or were lazy or entitled, if they were private sector. That way, I could simply choose to use another service provider and take my money elsewhere. Not the case with teachers. If you support teachers then tell your elected officials. If you want the govt to take a hard line with teachers, tell your elected officials to keep up the good work. In terms of the war for hearts and minds, I doubt that any of the recent media coverage favours teachers.