Friday, October 31, 2014Light Rain 6°C
Eat & Drink

Should last call in Toronto be moved to 4am?

Posted by Aubrey Jax / February 26, 2014

last call torontoA new campaign to extend the last call for alcohol in Toronto bars to 4am is in the works via lastcallto, a website which makes claims for everything from safety to Toronto industry as reasons to change current legislation.

"To be a world class city, Toronto needs world class nightlife" the site decrees, citing New York and Chicago's 4am last call - Chicago is smaller than us now! - Berlin's 5am bell, and legal all night bars in Shanghai, Rio De Janeiro, and Las Vegas as inspiration. Toronto only currently extends last call for events like Nuit Blanche or, as was the case this past Sunday, Olympic hockey (did you get wasted at 7am? Were the consequences as horrible as I imagine?)

According to lastcallto, the City of Toronto has the authority to make this change as per Section 62.1(1) of the Liquor License Act. And given this is an election year, the site seems to think extending last call can become dominant election issue.

You can sign the petition at lastcallto.com.

Should Toronto extend last call? Add your thoughts to the comment thread below.

No thx / February 26, 2014 at 10:38 am
You've surely haven't see what comes out to drink at 4 in the morning.
YES / February 26, 2014 at 10:44 am
YesyesyesyesyeS
sunday church / February 26, 2014 at 10:56 am
Will someone please think of the children!
sobre / February 26, 2014 at 11:03 am
4am is a step in the right direction. We should just get rid last call all together. Works fine in Europe.
lister replying to a comment from sunday church / February 26, 2014 at 11:08 am
The children should be in bed sleeping already.

I'm past the age where I can stay out all night so I'm good either way.
gr1m / February 26, 2014 at 11:11 am
Working in bars will become highly undesirable.
Dr. Kukko / February 26, 2014 at 11:11 am
Yes, but the new rules should exclude Rob Ford by name.
Windy City / February 26, 2014 at 11:13 am
Technically Chicago has 2 last calls.

There are bars with 2am last calls and bars with 4am last calls.

Toronto should adapt that idea.
George / February 26, 2014 at 11:15 am
I think 3 is a happy middle ground. 2 is too early, 4 is unnecessary.

Living in Montreal for 4 years, 3am was perfect.
Redgerrymander / February 26, 2014 at 11:16 am
Actually there are some good reasons to extend/abolish this law... but the biggest is that it avoids pushing out all the loud obnoxious drunks out on the street at the same time - which means less fights, yelling, milling around etc. since everyone leaves bars at their own pace.
a heavy pour / February 26, 2014 at 11:18 am
aside from the fact that businesses should be able to decide when to be open and serving. i find that curfews flood the streets with drunks causing more harm than good. have you seen queen st w at 230am on a fri/sat? its a terrifying place to be.
PBJ / February 26, 2014 at 11:23 am
Move last call to 4am, and move the last subway train on Fridays and Saturdays to 3am
Industry Vetran replying to a comment from gr1m / February 26, 2014 at 11:24 am
It already is.
Van / February 26, 2014 at 11:29 am
This is an obvious hell yes! Our city is booming in so many respects, and extending the curfew goes in line with this…now all we need is for our subway system to do this too! Come TO!!
hoc / February 26, 2014 at 11:30 am
Speaking of world class city... as long as the TTC subway service gets extended as well.
MSIgs replying to a comment from Windy City / February 26, 2014 at 11:33 am
Excellent idea
Ima Forit replying to a comment from George / February 26, 2014 at 11:35 am
Wow, Montreal would be pissed. 3am close and beer in corner stores are all they have left to brag about (endlessly). Empress Pauline would make sure it then changes to 4:30am to avoid humiliation.
4am is a start in the right direction, but scrap closing hours altogether. Probably MADD will stop any changes, as they have FAR too much influence in this province as it is.
Choices / February 26, 2014 at 11:40 am
Let the bar decide.

If its a busy night, they can choose to let their patrons know they will stay open till 3-4, if need be.

If its a dead/slow night. Stick to 2am or earlier, like bars do now on quiet nights.
Jeremy replying to a comment from PBJ / February 26, 2014 at 11:46 am
Excellent point. I have no real preference either way - in my mid-30's now, it might be a handful of times a year where I'm drinking until last call. But with any plan to make last call later than 2am, extending subways hours is essential.

Echoing a thought mentioned above, I think 3am is good as it still allows most bar staff to get home before sunrise and will encourage a more staggered exit from the clubs and bars.
p / February 26, 2014 at 11:59 am
I just want to be able to buy Ontario wine and Ontario brewers products at variety stores. Imagine the boom in business for them.
Or are we not as responsible as Quebec'rs? or Americans? please.
Chester / February 26, 2014 at 12:00 pm
I have been in the business for 15 years and have argued with my friends about issues of extending last call or drinking in public parks. I'm totally against the idea. I've seen what happens when people drink until 2am, 4am is asking for trouble. Beyond that, the landscape of bars and restaurants in this city is interceding in the same proximity of homes. Queen st, Dundas, College, King st, you turn the corner off of a busy bustling Saturday night and you're stepping onto someones driveway. If you want to centralize certain bars to 3 or 4 am because its more commercialized in that area then thats fine but you're gonna get complaints from other bars and restaurants who cant do that.

The other issue with this cities drinking problem is people pre-drinking. The idea of pre-drinking is that people can drink ahead of time get a nice buzz so they don't have to pay the over priced drinks inside clubs and bars, I get that. Now you have people pre-drinking then drinking excessively in the bar. People have either lost respect and for alcohol as a substance you can enjoy and not abuse or they want to see how annililated they can get. From the cities standpoint it comes down to the placement of bars to residential it always has. Residents would never allow it.
gr1m replying to a comment from Industry Vetran / February 26, 2014 at 12:01 pm
Many years behind the wood myself. Getting out of work at 5am, 4+ times a week would suck horribly. This would wreak havoc with start times, shift schedules, etc. Unless you want to pay out mad overtime or stagger your open I guess.
Duthie / February 26, 2014 at 12:07 pm
It would ideal to move it to 4 am because you won't have every single drunken idiot leaving the bar at the same exact time causing stupid fights. People would be more inclined to leave whenever they choose. 2 last calls would also work quite well.
Arno / February 26, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Staggering last call is a better idea than a wholesale change. 4AM last call bars should be forced to rotate to under-developed areas of the city. One month, Eastern Mississauga gets the chip. The next, Pickering. Spread the wealth around.
iSkyscraper / February 26, 2014 at 12:34 pm
If you move to 4 am you had better sure you have a really tight set of regulations in place to govern conflicts fairly and appropriately. For example, New York has really specific and scientific rules about noise that help deal with situations where someone is bothered by the music coming out of a bar at, say, 3:30 am. Those sorts of issues aren't as important when everyone closes up by 1 am as not everyone is sleeping by then, but they become critical with later hours.

tommy replying to a comment from Arno / February 26, 2014 at 12:49 pm
Those aren't parts of the city. Also lol @ Mississauga and Pickering.
Mur / February 26, 2014 at 12:57 pm
I have no idea why we even last call. If a business is able to stay open though the night, let them.
tmodto / February 26, 2014 at 01:01 pm
oh boy. 4am is ok if you get lucky. but mostly you just wake up at midday and wonder where all the money went.
EscherTO / February 26, 2014 at 01:01 pm
I think that on a cultural level, it could change the way people approach an evening out; (as in Spain, having a'later on' lifestyle. Eating, drinking and going out later, with no call times, just 'it's time to sleep now') but I think it will just work to the same constants as before.

One such constant being; whenever people start drinking, they will be drunk after a point. Whether the starting line is at noon with hometime at 8pm, or start at 5pm, home at 1am, or pre-drinking at home and then heading out at midnight for a few cheeky pints until 4am.

Part of this constant, is that on the negative side, people are going to be just the same as before; either getting in fights, or drink driving, or causing damage to property - i.e. There will be the same propensity for all such negative consequences to occur, just that all the revellers are now getting dumped out on the street at 4am rather than 2am. The binge culture is going to exist either way. The people lamenting at the shout of "last call" at 2am, are going to be the same people as would do so at 4am.

My related experience of a few years living in the UK, the licensing act made it both possible to be open till 3am, but also normal for some bars to have last call at 11:45, the next one down the road to have last call 12:45, and then the bars associated with dancing or live music to be open till 3am+.

On the flip side, it could mean that people will still 'tap out' at 1-2am, and slowly trickle away down to the last at 4am.

In any case, I think that having a 4am max call time would be fine, with the possibility for bars to close at 1-2am if they are quiet, and just adhere to the 'max' in the interest of business. Especially in the case of dance bars, or live music venues.
BillyO / February 26, 2014 at 01:07 pm
I like the Chicago of two tiered last call 1-2 am and 4 am (at the the usual TIFF listed spots that get extended hours during that time) or a hard rule of 3 am all around.
StrangeCandy / February 26, 2014 at 01:17 pm
Not sure what "the children" have anything to do with it u less their parents are drunks (in response to Sunday church). I'd feel bad for the bar staff that will be stuck there until 5am cleaning up, especially the ones who do have day jobs as well. Hope the kitchens kitchens will remain open longer to accommodate this if it goes through.
Cyril Sneer / February 26, 2014 at 01:22 pm
Hells ya it should.
Bruno / February 26, 2014 at 01:23 pm
think of all the people who have to work until 9-10-11. and consider the cold weather we deal with all year long. lets make it "3am"
mars replying to a comment from George / February 26, 2014 at 01:24 pm
I agree with this! 3AM is good, especially considering that most clubs and bars don't get packed until 12.
Aaron / February 26, 2014 at 01:28 pm
Hey, since you used a photo of my booth at Made With Love last year I feel no shame in saying....Come to Made With Love this year on March 24th http://enjoymadewithlove.com/en/events.html

You can contact me on twitter @Aaron_Cocktails
MADDfather replying to a comment from Ima Forit / February 26, 2014 at 01:42 pm
MADD has a good right to be influential, dumb-ass: without them, you wouldn't have any drunk-driving laws to protect your ass from being killed by drunk drivers.

People like you just make advocating for last call not work-please keep your mouth shut.
Spike replying to a comment from Chester / February 26, 2014 at 01:47 pm
Agreed on this, and wish that people would learn how to entertain and have parties at home (as people in the past did) rather than only at/in clubs. Better yet, if people need to be in a place that has these last calls, move to those cities.
C replying to a comment from No thx / February 26, 2014 at 01:58 pm
Your mom.
Khristopher / February 26, 2014 at 02:05 pm
Simple answer: no. I get woken up by drunks at 3 am coming home, I don't need this to happen at 5 am.
W. K. Lis / February 26, 2014 at 02:07 pm
1. Get public transit in the 905 get have 24 hour service.

2. Get public transit to be available till 4 A.M..

3. Anyone whose last name is "Ford", to be prohibited to be served alcohol at all times.
zoomeister / February 26, 2014 at 02:28 pm
Not everyone has the means or the space to entertain at home.

last call should be at the sole discretion of the business, it will prevent patrons from binge drinking and a big crowd of people exiting the establishment at once whether it's at 2 or 4...
patrons will leave when they like and will pace themselves I have witnessed this on nights there is an extended last call as well as in other cities where there is no last call.

It won't suck for bar staff there is such thing as shifts, if the business can stay open later they will if not they won't.

most likely the restaurants will close around midnight, bars around 3 and dance clubs around 5...

some clubs are open until 5 anyway they just can't serve so they only have 2 hours to make money and they don't have any other option but to sell bottled water at $6 to stay afloat.

as for MADD, people shouldn't be behind the wheels at anytime having a last call or when that last call is, is irrelevant.

if you're old enough to be drinking you're considered an adult you should be treated like one and act like one or face the consequences.
Spike replying to a comment from W. K. Lis / February 26, 2014 at 02:34 pm
1. Will only happen when all of Toronto is covered in streetcars and LRT's (driverless tech only with with things that are on a rail right now, W. K.-this isn't the 23rd century of Star Trek or any other science fiction show/movie/book.

2. Same as point #1.

3. Ford need to be fired ASAP and sent STRAIGHT to rehab, and it has to be the toughest rehab center around (Betty Ford Clinic or someplace similar.) No excuses from Ford or his family-off he goes, and that should be final.
zoomeister / February 26, 2014 at 02:36 pm
sorry I meant they shouldn't be behind the wheel if they're drinking... I'm not anti driving :)
EW replying to a comment from MADDfather / February 26, 2014 at 02:37 pm
Actually, research has shown that MADD's campaign actually does the anti-drinking/driving a disservice because of humans evaluate things on a psychological level. But nice try.
DRY MARTINI / February 26, 2014 at 02:45 pm
Hey why not cause there's not enough drunken fuckers out there wandering the streets at 4am causing shit. Toronto needs it like I need a kick in the bag.
Erin / February 26, 2014 at 02:52 pm
I think that until the TTC can get their act together and work as though we live in a world class city that doesn't stop at 1:30 am then this is useless. I'm too old to be taking the vomit comet home and even now the subway doesn't even go until last call.
SP93 replying to a comment from Ima Forit / February 26, 2014 at 02:57 pm
I partially agree. My mom is Italian, and when she was growing up, drinking was a very normal and casual part of the lifestyle. However, I've found that the drinking culture in Toronto is one which turns drinking into a really big deal. I've been in Montreal for 3 years for school, and the drinking culture here seems closer to that of Europe (going off of what I've seen and what my mother has told me about her upbringing). I was here for the anti-tuition hike riots in 2012, which got quite violent at times, and when I returned to Toronto that summer and went out drinking (for the first time, since it was my first legal summer), the violence and belligerence I saw literally made me feel like I was in the middle of one of those riots. From what I've seen, Torontonians who go out drinking often go way overboard. I say this based on both observation and first-hand experience with friends. I personally support moving last call to 4am (simply because I want to be able to stay out longer), but I don't think that we're ready to abolish last call yet. The drinking culture in Toronto needs to change first, so that everyone can be safe and have a good time; that won't happen overnight.
Dgm / February 26, 2014 at 02:59 pm
I agree with the mixed suggestions here for instance 3 am might be a great last call for alcohol it would also be better if the subway was open later on weekends. Also i feel the reason most people get so drunk so fast inside clubs is because they know they only have a short amount of time to do it before the night ends. Some of you are right and maybe 4 am might be crazy for people overdoing the drinking but it could also go good because people have more time to pace there drinking and enjoy the night.
Alex / February 26, 2014 at 03:06 pm
'cause lots of good things tend to happen at 3:30am.
Susan / February 26, 2014 at 03:22 pm

Home is when the party never ends.
Bartenders . Chefs . Servers
www.SafetenEvents.com
Contact us for all your event staffing needs, and party on.
Dan / February 26, 2014 at 04:46 pm
the sooner we get rid of 'last call' the better
Van replying to a comment from Chester / February 26, 2014 at 05:26 pm
People pre-drink because they get cut off at 2am. Is they can be served until 4am, people won't have the need to start at 10pm…well, at least I hope not!
Chester replying to a comment from Van / February 26, 2014 at 07:12 pm
As I mentioned before people don't respect alcohol. Starting pre-drinking at 10pm and drinking until 2 am is alcohol abuse. Also others on this thread have mentioned the culture of drinking needs to change before we start changing rules.
viet nguyen / February 26, 2014 at 07:21 pm
Toronto should have that option. I love options, who doesn't. I am all for it :D
Ryan / February 26, 2014 at 07:31 pm
How instead of changing it straight to 4am closing time, they just try it out on Friday/Saturday's and see how it goes from there.
Also for the people that are complaining about alcohol abuse and work in the industry, by pre drinking, then going to the bar and drinking more part of that blame falls on you and the responsibility you have with the power to cut people off or have them removed from bar/club all together.
Like I said before, start on a small scale of Friday/Saturdays and go from there.
No One Kares replying to a comment from Khristopher / February 26, 2014 at 07:43 pm
No one kares about your problems Khristoper...with a k.
S / February 26, 2014 at 07:55 pm
NO!!!!! No serving alcohol after 2 AM PLEASE! I love it when the drunk people go home and they aren't being super annoying at the clubs. I love the after hours vibe. So much better than the drunken vibe. And if last call is two hours later... it means we all have to wait two extra hours for the parties. And waiting til 2 AM is pretty late already.
Flib / February 26, 2014 at 11:12 pm
Drunk people. 4 AM. What could go wrong?
Ima Forit replying to a comment from SP93 / February 27, 2014 at 12:46 am
The stories your mother told you from the Old Country are of a lifestyle long ago and things have since changed both here and in Europe. Today we look back at the days when Montréal was cool, but I lived there then and was a regular at Les Foufounes Électriques (aka Foufs), Sona, Stereo, etc. I still visit old friends, but despite the hype Montréal is no more culturally "European" than Toronto. Remember, it is 400 years removed from Europe.
People frequently get drunk in Montreal the same as everywhere else; it is and always has been at heart a beer drinking city.

Madman,I don't bother debating with organizations that are no more than thinly veiled Prohibitionists.
JJ Thompson / February 27, 2014 at 12:52 am
Haha! That's me making that amazing cocktail @ Made with Love!
Great pic BLOG TO!
Hugh / February 27, 2014 at 02:14 am
Don't extend last call.

@LastCall_TO_NO
Jennifer / February 27, 2014 at 02:35 am
Having lived abroad in Australia where their liquor laws are so accommodating and fair (bars make their own hours from 4 am shuts to 24 hour opens) I find 2 am last call a juvenile joke for a major city. People will find a way to over drink knowing 2 am is a cut off, as it would be if it were 4 am. There wouldn't be more problems with fights/over intoxication as long as bouncers and bartenders continue to monitor alcohol consumption. Many bars in Australia wouldn't serve shots to further this ideal. It's a good idea all around for patrons and traveller's (many who complain at how boring our city is).
Sauty / February 27, 2014 at 02:58 am
Having both worked in TO through periods of extended license (4am - TIFF) as well as lived in a province where 3am last call existed: it doesn't help bar owners in the slightest as patrons will show up later, already inebriated from pre-drinking at home, and most folks won't really drink beyond 2 regardless.. Vote: less restrictions towards after-hours establishments (which already exist).. Most ppl that wish to drink beyond the 2am last call already in place are workers within the industry already.. MADD supporters = less of a push for ppl to finish their drinks at last call and rush to their cars as TTC is closed... Let establishments make their own 'last call'
vakvak / February 27, 2014 at 05:41 am
I live in Ukraine and there are bars that serve alcohol 24 hours. The Toronto situation is just sad.
hell no / February 27, 2014 at 06:51 am
Don't think it's a great idea 2am is good enough especially when u have 19 year olds who drink irresponsibly if your going to change liquor laws change the age limit to drink as well also this would apply to cities like Mississauga and Brampton which definately don't need this. Also all you people who are for it clearly don't see what happens at 2am when people leave bars people stumbling everywhere most probably because your one of them. I personally think it's a terrible idea as it will cause more people to drink and drive at an even later hour if there going to change this I would like to see the age limit to buy alcohol change to 21
LetsHearItForTheUkraine / February 27, 2014 at 07:33 am
So the Ukraine serves alcohol 24/7!
And how's that working out so far !?
Lukas / February 27, 2014 at 09:33 am
It is a great idea that should be fully coordinated with the TTC moving to a 4:20am subway closure and extended funding for all the cops that have to patrol the entertainment district.

I'm certain that Last Call Toronto is not saying a 'world class nightlife' consists of getting hammered until 4 am and avoiding a shanking until a cab shows up in the entertainment district.
noway man / February 27, 2014 at 10:10 am
Most bars are in residential neighborhoods and drunks at 2 is bad enough let's have them wandering and screaming all night Ooook
sumo500 / February 27, 2014 at 10:29 am
Only if they make it mandatory that brunch is served till 4pm
LOL! / February 27, 2014 at 10:35 am
LOL at Ukraine and it's 24HR party people.
SP93 replying to a comment from Ima Forit / February 27, 2014 at 11:59 am
I'm not saying that Montreal is just like Europe. And I'm not trying to make any blanket statements I'm not qualified to make; I've never been to Europe, I read a lot and know many people who have visited/lived there. I suppose my comment was too focused on Montreal; the point I was trying to get across is that from my point of view (and from the point of view of many others who I've discussed this with), when Torontonians drink they often drink to excess then don't know how to handle their drunkenness. Which is why I think it would be a bad idea to suddenly abolish last call. I think moving in that direction in increments would be the best course of action.
Zoom / February 27, 2014 at 12:00 pm
Sorry, I do NOT support this. Toronto...World Class City??? Please.
People do NOT know how to handle their alcohol. Do people really need alcohol to have a good time? You say not enough time to party? Maybe, people should go out earlier? I am in an industry that deals with the night life scene & when we extended last call to 2:00am from 1:00am, all it did is delay people in going out. Now people don't get to the clubs after 11:00pm or even midnight. You want more alcohol, go home & drink till whatever time you want.
Thanks
Talulah replying to a comment from Sauty / February 27, 2014 at 12:38 pm
Showing up late at bars and pre-drunk from home happens especially in low income cities where people have limited disposable income and can't afford to buy drinks from 8pm to 3am. Pre-EU Spain was poor which may have contributed to the tradition of going out very late. But who really wants a big whopping meal at midnite or to start drinking at 2am when you have to function at work the next morning? I don't like napping away the entire evening so that I can stagger out for a late drink.
Phil / February 27, 2014 at 01:32 pm
We should go to the same system they have in the U.K., which changed a few years back. After years of pubs closing at 11 am and clubs allowed to stay open till 3/4 pm, they went to a mixed system that allows for 24 hour licensing. The Police in the U.K. were actually for later closing hours, as 11 pm turned into fight night in many cities in the U.K. as every one binge drank in the last hour and piled out of the bars at the same time at 11 pm.

Leave it up to the establishment. They can keep their current 2 am last call or apply for a 4 am or 24 hour license. In these modern times there is no reason why someone cannot get a drink whatever time of day they want. In many place in Europe like France and Germany, the bars often close when the last patron leaves.

Phil replying to a comment from iSkyscraper / February 27, 2014 at 01:36 pm
what is the difference in terms of noise if the noise is at 2 am or 4 am... the problem is just noise... does not matter what time it is.
Ima Forit / February 27, 2014 at 01:38 pm
Fair enough, maybe catching up to the rest of the world in stages is a reasonable request. However, regarding:
"when Torontonians drink they often drink to excess then don't know how to handle their drunkenness", Montréalers may think this is a Toronto thing, but the truth is that happens nightly in Montréal, too. People may speak a different language but are more similar than we think.

Just sayin'! ;)
TransitFirst / February 27, 2014 at 03:27 pm
Nice idea, but it won't happen. Transit would need to be fixed/available first, then they could look at this. TTC is always crying poor, under budget etc etc. So, it just ain't gonna happen.

Here's an idea I like better: make a few LCBO locations and/or Beer Stores open 24/7.
Baukuga / February 27, 2014 at 04:03 pm
I think instead of 2am last call, they should extend the LCBO and Beer store hours till 2am. I'd rather pay less to drink for longer. We all know that won't happen though because of our high priority government.
Baukuga replying to a comment from TransitFirst / February 27, 2014 at 04:04 pm
If you drink till 2am your already missing transit anyways
MADDfather replying to a comment from EW / February 27, 2014 at 06:08 pm
Provide proof or stop talking nonsense.
Brent replying to a comment from hoc / February 27, 2014 at 06:34 pm
Extend TTC service to match
Chris Thompson replying to a comment from Chester / February 27, 2014 at 08:37 pm
Toronto drinking culture, pre-drink before hand to get a nice buzz, show up at bar at 12:30, maintain buzz. Last call drink as much as you can before you have to leave. This leaves you hitting peak drunk just as the bars are closing and everyone is pouring out onto the streets. A staggered exit would result in less binging, less people on the streets and less noise. It wouldn't like some assume just push the current events of 2:30am to 4:30am. I also don't see why you'd have to extend subway hours, the last train is well before last call as it is right now anyway. The night buses would remain and would be infinitely more bearable than they currently are anytime after 2. The no drinking in public thing is just absurd too, the fact that I can't sit in the park and legally drink a beer in the afternoon is ridiculous.
Lucas / February 27, 2014 at 09:43 pm
Yes. Toronto is a wonderful city but the nightlife sucks
That guy / February 27, 2014 at 11:10 pm
3 am would be perfect, 4 is crazy, the subway should be 24 hours.
Pint o' lager replying to a comment from Lucas / February 28, 2014 at 01:03 am
"Nightlife sucks"? My ass it does. Either you are a 15 year old suburbanite, or more likely live in another city and have never even been here. LOL! Asinine Comment of the Week Award.

No, do NOT do it by the silly UK system. If you are sitting enjoying a quiet drink in a pub, who wants a last call anywhere from 11pm to the VERY LATEST 1am (I'm serious, in London a 1am closing hour for a pub is considered VERY LATE), and then change over to a loud cavernous nightclub where you pay a cover charge, blasted by loud music, are surrounded by people your children's age and drinks are suddenly twice the price? Looks cool on paper, but the pub and club crowds don't mix. Going out for drinks isn't just about finding an alcoholic beverage; it is about choosing your venue to suit your tastes or mood. If you are comfortable where you are, and if the bar or pub is amenable, you should be able to sit there til the cows come home. Screw last call hours all together.
Onemoretime replying to a comment from That guy / February 28, 2014 at 01:07 am
It can't run 24 hours, because it is not a double track system like in NYC. There must be downtime every night for repairs. I'm constantly surprised that people don't know this. As it is it is the TTC is the latest running subway system in Canada. Yup, the other one closes earlier. What should change however is the late opening hour on Sunday morning. That is beyond ridiculous.
Stephen / February 28, 2014 at 12:58 pm
I live in Brazil and there is no last call period. If the owner wants to stay open 24 hours it is his business. I was raised in TO but sounds like it is still boring and TO the Good
John replying to a comment from TransitFirst / February 28, 2014 at 09:28 pm
Having a 24/7 liquor store will most likely not happen because of the possibility of looneys and drunken idiots entering and breaking bottles etc. because they want more but cannot handle any more alcohol.
Yee-Haw replying to a comment from Stephen / March 1, 2014 at 02:00 am
lolz! You and the Ukraine are 24-7 wild-and-crazy towns! Maybe that explains why there are more murders annually in pretty much any Brazilian city than in the entire country of Canada for five years.
CHris replying to a comment from Khristopher / March 2, 2014 at 01:29 am
What difference does it make what time it is?
Elena replying to a comment from gr1m / March 5, 2014 at 03:24 am
That certainly hasn't happened in New York, or anywhere else with later last calls for that matter. Still a job a lot of people want.
Elena / March 5, 2014 at 03:25 am
This is a great idea. I've been waiting for it to happen for years. I believe that we should do away with last-call altogether. It is a pointless concept. Bars should be able to close when they choose. I have lived in cities where this is the case, and I can guarantee it did not lead to more disorderly conduct. In fact, it created a much nicer atmosphere at night where people were leaving bars in a staggered fashion, when they chose to do so... Not all being kicked out at the same time, at the height of their intoxication.
Ford Nation / August 26, 2014 at 11:34 am
1. no last call
2. 24 hr TTC
3. booze in convenience stores

wouldn't make Toronto world class but at least somewhat less stuffy.