Wednesday, October 22, 2014Partly Cloudy 11°C
Eat & Drink

City council votes to let you drink at 7am on Sunday

Posted by Derek Flack / February 21, 2014

toronto bars 7am Olympic HockeyIf old residents of the Junction could only see us now. In an unusual move, Toronto city council has voted in favour of allowing bars to serve alcohol at 7am so that hockey fans can watch the Canadian men's hockey team battle for gold with a bit of a buzz. Exciting news for "Toronto the Good," but it should be noted that we need to get through the Americans first. Perhaps some will want a stiff drink if the men fall to the U.S. tomorrow, but I suspect that few will plan to wake up and start all over again for a Canada-free finals.

The vote, which passed 37-4, actually allows restaurants and bars (nightclubs are excluded) to serve early on both Saturday and Sunday, though one imagines that it will only make sense for establishments to open at dawn for the gold medal game, which starts at 7am. As if there wasn't enough riding on the men's team getting through tomorrow's semi-final, now the hopes of rabid beer drinkers across the city will also rest upon Sidney Crosby & Co.'s shoulders. Should Team Canada make the finals and take home gold, you can bet one prominent Torontonian will do a victory dance to end victory dances.

Photo by Duncan Rawlinson

mel / February 21, 2014 at 01:01 am
hockey sucks chimp ass
Rick / February 21, 2014 at 01:17 am
I think if you want to drink a beer at 7am, something is very wrong with you. Baileys in my coffee is as far as I would go.
Kim / February 21, 2014 at 01:29 am
Is it just Toronto area or the whole GTA that is allowed to serve at 7am? Will Mississauga, Milton, Georgetown and Brampton be allowed as well?
bob replying to a comment from Rick / February 21, 2014 at 03:36 am
Pretty sure alcohol is alcohol at 7am bud.
shane / February 21, 2014 at 05:29 am
Now all we need is a list of pubs that will be opening early.
steve replying to a comment from Kim / February 21, 2014 at 06:23 am
Toronto is Toronto, Toronto city council is for Toronto, Mississauga, Milton, Georgetown and Brampton have their own city councils. A map will clarify the boundaries of each city.
Morning Sober / February 21, 2014 at 08:24 am
This is pathetic! I really hope Canada loses today because I'm sure everybody's assuming that they will play for gold on Sunday. Fu*k Canadians and their obsession with hockey and tim hortons coffee!
lister replying to a comment from Rick / February 21, 2014 at 09:20 am
How very un-European of you.

Alcohol is alcohol.

I was at the Berlin airport at 9am waiting for a relative to arrive and observed the natives having beers. So when in Rome... :-p
lister replying to a comment from Rick / February 21, 2014 at 09:23 am
Trolls are out early...
jigger / February 21, 2014 at 09:40 am
My heart goes out to the poor staff that gets to serve Fordy on Sunday.
Mike replying to a comment from Morning Sober / February 21, 2014 at 10:06 am
It must be tough going through life an angry little troll
Ana Raposo / February 21, 2014 at 11:11 am
Stupid lazy alcoholicks that are Canadians they are so lazy and just want to start drink early because they don't like to go to work like portuguese people do because portuguese now how to work hard not sit around watching Canadian losers play hockey or curling on olympics and portugueses are smarter better looking better food better at sports and everythinglook at cristiano Renaldo better then any other soccer playr and Portugal will win world cup and where live near dufferin we will be celebrateing that we win world cup on st Clair this year go Portugal!
o_o replying to a comment from Not an Angry Troll / February 21, 2014 at 11:47 am
Given that liquor laws are governed by the Province, I don't think a permanent change can be issued by the City without debate or review.

Canadian replying to a comment from Ana Raposo / February 21, 2014 at 11:48 am
Did "Ana Raposo" just try to prove that "portugueses" are smarter than Canadians in a run on sentence (full of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes) that is irrelevant to the entire topic? Sounds intelligent. Regardless, Team Canada earned their way to this game, and I'm sure it had nothing to do with being lazy. AND, as a matter of fact, I won't be drinking Tim Horton's coffee...I'll be drinking a beer...because I can!
Neil replying to a comment from Ana Raposo / February 21, 2014 at 11:52 am
Go back to Portugal if you hate it here so much!
Vote / February 21, 2014 at 11:53 am
Who were the 4 who voted against this?
Ana Raposo / February 21, 2014 at 11:55 am
Sorry for my outburst. I'm packing my bags and leaving Canada, a place that has allowed me to live in for many years. I'm obviously have no love for a country that has given me so much opportunity. I'm a disgrace to Canada.
Aaron / February 21, 2014 at 12:15 pm
Will ALL the bars be open? There's no bar list with the article.

Why weren't bars open early for ALL the Olympics? Considering the time change.
TMG / February 21, 2014 at 12:37 pm
Anyone know the 4 Councillors who voted against it?
Meg replying to a comment from Ana Raposo / February 21, 2014 at 01:37 pm
Are you off your meds? I don't even know how to respond to you. Your comments may be the most ridiculous things that I have ever read.

If you don't want to share in Canadian pride, move back to Portugal, or stop reading anything that mentions the Olympics and shut up. We are an incredible country, and you are the reason people are becoming increasingly angered by immigrants. You have no respect for the country you are in, being here is a privilege, not a right. Start acting like it.
ADT replying to a comment from Ana Raposo / February 21, 2014 at 01:58 pm
@ "Ana Raposo", I was born in Canada, my parents are Portuguese and you are an embarrassment. I'm going to assume (since you started it) you're probably one of those people who skip work to go watch the World Cup soccer games whenever Portugal plays, drink moonshine and go party on St Clair with your Honda Civic covered in flags. There's no culture that is lazy-- people are lazy. You need to relax and stop spamming how much you love Portugal on an article that is irrelevant to your post.
Liz replying to a comment from TMG / February 21, 2014 at 02:07 pm
According to the Star:
"Only Mayor Rob Ford and councillors Mike Del Grande, David Shiner and John Parker voted against the motion."
Jason replying to a comment from Kim / February 21, 2014 at 02:24 pm
Duh... as much as people in cities that are not Toronto like to say they live in Toronto.... those cities are not Toronto. What makes you think Toronto city council makes the rules for cities that are not Toronto?
Adrian Geobey replying to a comment from Ana Raposo / February 21, 2014 at 02:24 pm
One advice for Ana Raposo
Oneway plane ticket back to Portugal darling.
Canadian and Proud / February 21, 2014 at 02:42 pm
Ana Raposo sounds drunk...
Addie / February 21, 2014 at 02:45 pm
Would love to get suggestions as to what bars are willing to open for the game! 7am is not the time to wander around the city to find a place to drink at the best of times, so hopefully some come out to tell us soon!
Bill / February 21, 2014 at 02:56 pm
What is wrong with you people?
Mike / February 21, 2014 at 03:02 pm
The audacity of Torontonians! Wanting to have a drink while watching the gold medal game of their favourite sport is clearly unacceptable and is in no way reiterated in other sports. Surely they should be punished for the time zone difference from Russia. In fact, also fuck restaurants and bars that could make money during this momentous occasion. People who are in favour of this silly vote should be repremanded to fullest extent of the law.

Oh no wait, our Mayor is a drunk and anyone who is opposed to this is just being a dick because the Internet permits it. Phew. Hooray for Toronto city council, I plan to get a lovely little buzz on for this.
Helen Lovejoy / February 21, 2014 at 03:15 pm
Oh won't somebody think of the children?!
chester / February 21, 2014 at 03:37 pm
From what I know in the industry all sports bars should be open. Even the main franchise ones Joeys. Jacks, Earls, St. Louis will all be open as well. But if you really want to know if a particular bar is open you can pick up a thing called a phone and call them to find out.
Jared / February 21, 2014 at 03:47 pm
Just need Ottawa to follow suit with this, stupid alcohol and gaming commission not allowing alcohol to be served at 7am. It's an extenuating circumstance and should be considered.
Ana Raposo / February 21, 2014 at 03:50 pm
I clearly have no respect for this country and should be deported... I have been a bitch all my life it's a sickness but that is no excuse. Obviously this is not the original Ana Raposo. I was so upset with their opinion that I decided to post as them to show how ungrateful they are. Screw you Ana where ever you are!
Canadian replying to a comment from Vote / February 21, 2014 at 04:20 pm
Councillors Del Grande, Parker, Shiner and Rob Ford voted against.
Ana Raposo / February 21, 2014 at 04:22 pm
I wrote everything on Meth, disregard my posts.
Ana Raposo / February 21, 2014 at 04:22 pm
No I wrote that last thing on Meth, everything else true.
lk / February 21, 2014 at 04:25 pm
What are we arguing about again? Drinking beer a couple hours earlier? everyone needs to take a moment to pull their head out of their ass. If you have a problem with someone celebrating our Countries success with some Canadians (literally). Go take your head an bury it an hole, nobody is interested in your close minded communist bullshit. This is 2014 not 1914 Prohibition dosent work.
Emily replying to a comment from Rick / February 21, 2014 at 04:40 pm
I think there is something very wrong with you...
lister / February 21, 2014 at 04:49 pm
Here's a thread for the better beer bars that'll be open:

Hockey sucks / February 21, 2014 at 04:53 pm
Only Canadians would stick a flag in their drink.
lister replying to a comment from Hockey sucks / February 21, 2014 at 04:56 pm
Umbrella yes. On a sunny warm beach. Otherwise flags no.
jen / February 21, 2014 at 05:06 pm
Wait, what? Ford voted AGAINST this? I thought he was for it. Didn't brother Doug talk to the media about how this was a good thing?
James / February 21, 2014 at 05:26 pm
Stop all the nonsense and tell me where I can watch the game and get a drink!!!!
Garth replying to a comment from Morning Sober / February 21, 2014 at 05:38 pm
Eat your words you prick. I hope you get trampled by the mob of enthusiastic Canadians after we win the game on Sunday.
Ana Raposo replying to a comment from Canadian / February 21, 2014 at 05:56 pm
Why don't you fuck off you stupid canadian idiot you have no class class and yes Portuguese is the best most smartest people in the world you probably black or filipino or you just are so jellous of my culture because we do every thing better then every one look at cristiano renaldo he is the best of best soccer player portugalis the best soccer team in the hole world viva portugal! Canada losers cant even get a world cup they dont make it to qualify even haha prove my point noteam better then us portugal!
Ana Raposo replying to a comment from Ana Raposo / February 21, 2014 at 06:03 pm
You fuck off stupid loser some body should deport you lazy shit dont use my name again your so jellous thats all sorry you cant be portuguese the best in the world you probably a black org Filipino. Go to school and learn instead of aalways eat McDonalds
Ana Raposo replying to a comment from Ana Raposo / February 21, 2014 at 06:05 pm
Screw your mama bastard
Ana Raposo replying to a comment from ADT / February 21, 2014 at 06:08 pm
ADT you are a embarassing shit to portugal and you pretend to be canadian im sure your parents agree with me and get a life. Portugal!
JAMES / February 21, 2014 at 06:19 pm
This is gonna be awesome. Drunk hamnered, bring someone home get laid, all before noon! Nap , wake up, do it all over again in the night. This reminds me of my trip to vegas!
James / February 21, 2014 at 06:20 pm
Im so getting laid this weekend!
Ana (the raciest most ignorant ) Raposo / February 21, 2014 at 06:28 pm
LEAVE CANADA NOW!!! You are not wanted here! Treat those the way you want to be treated. Apparently you want people to hate you and treat you like shit. Keep it up if that's what you want, you big bully!
Ana Raposo replying to a comment from Ana (the raciest most ignorant ) Raposo / February 21, 2014 at 06:41 pm
You leave Canada stupid bitch Portuguese make Canada better without us theres no buildings new homes we are best builders best cooks best at sports and not a stupid drunk like you and I have lots of friends mot like you
Ana..... your not worth it / February 21, 2014 at 06:55 pm
You are wrong. Everyone is the best, we are all equal... And it doesn't matter what you say or think, that will never change that.
M / February 21, 2014 at 07:16 pm
This is awesome! Instead if having a party at my house and getting it all dirty. My friends and I can go to a bar and be with other Canadians enjoying the great game! BlogTo should erase the mean comments. They have no business here.
San / February 21, 2014 at 07:22 pm
The Office Pub will be open starting 6am
$15 Per Person that includes breakfast buffet
( Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, home fries, wings,perogies )

You can buy your ticket online

3 Floors/ 3 Bars/ $5 Domestic Pints & $4 Mix Drinks starting 7am !!

Go Canada Go !!
Josh / February 21, 2014 at 10:51 pm
Only in Toronto can a city council overturn a provincial law by letting the bars open 4 hours early. Pretty pathetic that we did it leagly months ago and it cost us a small fortune so I'd be able to have a permit to open early for the gold medal game. It's the AGCO (Alcohol Gaming Commison of Ontario) that makes the laws on this. Does that mean because Toronto voted on it and passed it, I can get my city council to let me do it? Probably not
Jub / February 22, 2014 at 01:56 am
Ana. If all you can think of is renaldo. You should get your head checked. He's a fuckin diver. Has players that make him look good. N as far as pork hops bein not lazy. Tell the the filthy bastards
to learn how to use a fuckin public washroom properly. Rather than shitting all over the seat. This is for all our construction boys. Go canada. N fuck u ana
Ashley / February 22, 2014 at 04:21 am
Haha @morningsober Canadians think ahead and want bars open because we know we're gonna win!! Your just pissed because your country didn't win.. suck it up princess!! Your country would be ashamed of you to know your a sore loser. LOSER!!
Joe alves / February 22, 2014 at 08:48 am
As a Portuguese I am truly emberased for Ana raposo. Please don't allow this women to represent our Portuguese culture. These comments should be on the topic anyway, I can't wait to get a beer and breaky and cheer on canada over Sweden !
Ana Raposo replying to a comment from Jub / February 22, 2014 at 09:17 am
I can say my opinions if I like like you di. I know Portuguese is better then any nation every body is just jellous of us we have every body like stupid canadians fikipino blacks spanish italian hyngarian german all try to be like us but you cant we build all the nice houses buildings every body wants our food we havebest soccer team and renaldo is the best! We will win world cup and be us on st cair partying with FIFA cup 2014 not italian or spanish or german they are shit so fyck off Canada will lose hockey like they cant qualify forfifa haha stupid
Ana Raposo replying to a comment from Joe alves / February 22, 2014 at 09:20 am
Joe Alves you are a embarassing portuguese you know we are the best you kiss asses of the stupid people because you se married probably to a lazy canadian they are drinking early not working like us hard like we do and I can say what I like like you do and we dont shit on the toilet that is Canadian and black
Ana Raposo replying to a comment from Jub / February 22, 2014 at 09:25 am
Jub your wrong Renaldo hes not a diver he is so talented and Portugal has best soccer team ever the dvers is from other teams spain italy germany france ireland all these and more portugal has talent honest players tell me why Renaldo is a superstar gets paid most in the world for a soccer player
Ana Raposo / February 22, 2014 at 10:46 am
Actually I do exist thank you but when I try to say my opinion no body likes it I have same rights like ever body to say my opinion so if people dont like to read it dont look I dont make portuguese ridiculis im proud to be portugues and tired of all you losers who say shit about the portuguese you are a troll with no brain
dreamboat Annie / February 22, 2014 at 12:12 pm
I've witnessed stupidity on many levels but you take the cake Ana. You should refrain from commenting on issues you know nothing about, like Canadians,or other races other than your own, sports, or by the sounds of it, anything!You may think that Portugal is the best country, with the best people in the world, but you're wrong. You're obviously uneducated.if Portugal is so wonderful, I pose one question: Why don't you live there?
Proud Canadian / February 22, 2014 at 01:57 pm
Not surprised by Ana's comments. I work with Portuguese men and their all racist pigs.
Cool Canadian Bastard / February 23, 2014 at 03:22 am
If people want to get sloshed at 6am let them its no big deal they will do it anyway bar or no bar. I'm looking forward to the game! Mel, Ana Raposo, Morning sober piss off and Go Canada!
Cool Canadian Bastard / February 23, 2014 at 03:26 am
Go Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ana Raposo / February 24, 2014 at 06:55 pm
Wow I see to many people to upset about my opinion and my husband says i should apoligize. Sorry i should keep my opinion for myself.
Damn proud to be Canadian / February 24, 2014 at 07:37 pm
That's not an opinion you made. U came flat out and insulted our pride and our country, we don't make a big deal that we change drinking laws for a hockey game, we make a big deal that we proved to be the best team in the world! Calling us names and comparing us to your country is not an opinion it's a statement u used so I say! YOU DAMN RIGHT U OWE AN APOLOGY too a whole god damn country and you can start by posting it on this blog for everyone to see and then apologize to our government for acting like such a b*tch thinking you are better than us
Mister Prime Minister / February 24, 2014 at 07:41 pm
That's a sorry excuse for an apology! "Sorry I should keep my opinion to myself " you should just not open your mouth period or come up with a better apology! You have insulted millions of people and all you come up with is sorry I should keep my opinion? I say that's not good enough!!