Toronto Restaurant Openings: Wahlburgers, Sandoozles Smokehouse & Pub, Barsa Taberna, La Cubana
Toronto Restaurant Openings highlights the latest restaurant openings and closings in Toronto and also gives a preview of what's coming soon. Find us here every Thursday morning.
- Big Al's Flyin' Phillys is now open at 251 Augusta Avenue which in the last 6 months was also home to short-lived restaurants Shawermama and Horno BBQ.
- Lavazza has opened a Harbourfront cafe outpost at 235 Queens Quay. The debut Toronto outlet from the Italian based chain offers espresso-based coffees, sandwiches, salads, pastries and gelato.
- Porteree Pub and Restaurant looks set to replace Southside Louie's at 583 College Street. The handwritten note in the window says they should be open September 1st.
- Railee's Diner opens this Thursday, September 5th at 133 Manville Road in East Toronto, south of Eglinton between Warden and Birchmount. The new diner plans to offer all day breakfast, deli sandwiches and daily specials like lasagna, Shepherd's pie and hot roast beef sandwiches.
- Wahlburgers a U.S.-based burger concept from Executive Chef Paul Wahlberg and brothers, Mark and Donnie have announced the debut Canadian location, slated to open in early 2014 at the SoHo Metropolitan Hotel.
- Trambusto is opening at least one downtown outlet (in addition to the Vaughan location we reported last week) in place of recently shuttered smokehouse, Hadley's at 940 College Street.
- Kensington Market's Pizzeria Via Mercanti is slated to open a second location at 87 Elm Street mid October.
- Sandoozles Smokehouse and Pub (can you name that reference?) will tempt you to treat yo' self when they open on Mount Pleasant south of Eglinton this fall. The menu is set to feature chicken wings, Texas brisket and pulled pork, along with a Montreal Smoked Meat Sandoozle that the yet-to-open restaurant claims "would defeat Caplanskys [sic] or even Shwartz's [sic] in Montreal in a taste test competition..."
- Barsa Taberna, a new Barcelona-inspired tapas restaurant is opening this November at 26 Market Street across from St. Lawrence Market.
- La Cubana, from the same chef/owner behind Ossington's Delux is slated to open this September at 392 Roncesvalles formerly the Blue Plate. (via The Grid)
Have you seen restaurants opening or closing in your neighbourhood? Email tips to firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo from our review of Pizzeria Via Mercanti