Tuesday, September 23, 2014Clear 8°C
Eat & Drink

Toronto Restaurant Openings: Carmen, Seven Lives, Grasslands, Jatujak

Posted by Liora Ipsum / April 4, 2013

Seven Lives TorontoToronto Restaurant Openings highlights the latest restaurant openings and closings in Toronto and also gives a preview at some of the places coming soon. Find us here every Thursday morning.

OPEN NOW

• New Spanish tapas, Carmen (922 Queen Street West) is currently in a soft opening phase with the official opening planned for Sunday, April 7th.
  • Seven Lives could open their first stand alone taquería as early as this Saturday, April 6th at 69 Kensington Avenue.
  • Grasslands (478 Queen Street West) started serving dinner last week in the revamped site of Fressen. The vegan restaurant plans to expand the menu to include lunch and brunch in the coming weeks.
  • Jatujak is now open in Scarborough at 1466 Kingston Road Toronto. Thai style street food menu is available for takeout and delivery.

COMING SOON

• Italian restaurant, Cibo Wine Bar is slated to towards the end of May or in early June in the former site of Alimento Fine Foods at 522 King Street West. The Miami based brand is opening its first international outpost under the ownership of Toronto's Liberty Entertainment Group.
  • The Kathi Roll Express is set to offer an eclectic streetfood menu when it opens in the coming weeks at 692 Yonge Street. The main feature is to be their namesake sandwich, the Kathi Roll, a griddled Indian flat bread sandwiches stuffed with veggies or meats.
  • Woods Restaurant is to open at 45 Colborne Street, formerly home to Colborne Lane. Bruce Woods (Modus Ristorante) and Robin Singh (Pravda) hope to open the new restaurant by the end of April for lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch.

CLOSING

• C5 at the ROM has announced that April 30th will be its last service before the space is put up for tender for a new restaurant to takeover.
  • Etobicoke steakhouse, 1800 Degrees (3058 Bloor Street West) has posted notice that it is no longer in business and a new restaurant is slated to open this month.

Have you seen restaurants opening or closing in your neighbourhood? Email tips to liora@blogto.com

Talk Oh / April 4, 2013 at 11:52 am
Toronto: 5 buck sexy tacos

Chicago: 3 buck sexy tacos

Toronto, cut this overpricing shit out.
MJ / April 4, 2013 at 12:12 pm
NO! Overpricing tacos makes us feel important! WE WILL NOT STOP!
Pedro / April 4, 2013 at 12:14 pm
I make taco same from mother - better I think - maybe with better taco a big price - to much cost. I spend 8 or 5 books on hair taco not these!
seaway / April 4, 2013 at 12:51 pm
No mention of New Seaway looking closed in Kensington?
Graeme Quinn / April 4, 2013 at 12:59 pm
Really looking forward to the expanded Seven Lives. Definitely in my top 5 favourite places to eat in the city. Looking forward to seeing what Sean does with the expanded menu!
Realist (mostly) / April 4, 2013 at 03:33 pm
Chicago: third largest Mexican population in North America outside of Mexico.

Toronto: nowhere close.

There's more competition in Chicago, lowering the prices.
Noah / April 4, 2013 at 04:09 pm
Anyone know what happened to Miss Cora's Kitchen? (where Seven Lives is now)
polly / April 4, 2013 at 04:39 pm
yeah TRY making a good quality fish taco at a $3 selling price with quality ingredients in toronto...do you even know how much avocados cost in this damn city? have you TRIED any of seven lives menu items? well worth the (very reasonable) costs.

seven lives does the best tacos AND they have the best value, plus they're plentiful, none of that 3 bite business. if you want to rip on REAL overpriced, inauthentic tacos, look no further than la carnita.
Terry / May 12, 2013 at 09:56 am
WORST DINNER EXPERIENCE EVER. Will save all the nasty things I want to say and only give you the facts of my dinner experience and let you draw your own conclusions.
#1 - Had dinner reservations for two for 8:30, arrived a few minutes early and was promptly seated. Good start. Only problem is our food did not arrive until 10:00PM - no apologies from the server. No check-ins in-between.
#2 - The menu makes you believe that their entrees are different but it is all the same dish with no attempt to even disguise it. I ordered the Crusted Chicken and my GF ordered the Mustard Crusted Tempeh. The menu said my dish is "...seitan cutlet, tumeric scented rice batter, braised vegetables, thyme roasted fingerling potato, garlicky asparagus and gui-lan." Hers was "...seared organic tempeh, grainy organic dijon dredge, maple scented yam mash, seared seasonal vegetables, warm basil mango chutney."
Our plates showed up and the first thing my gf said was that they looked identical and indeed they were. Our plates both had the following "...olive oil mash, warm basil chutney, scented yam mash, barely seared greasy vegetables, chive garnish and for some strange reason hers had asparagus and mine did not". The only difference was that she got the crusted tempeh and I the crusted chicken. So essentially what they do here is serve you the same dish with items that are not even part of your item, switch the protein and call it a different thing. For a $19 entrée this is unacceptable.

So I called the server to tell her that our dishes were not as described on the menu and why for example I had the mango chutney and was missing asparagus. Also my GF had chosen her dish because she did not want the olive oil and Yukon mash but here it was on both plates. We pointed out that the server had actually helped us choose our dishes because we were having a tough time deciding because every seemed so deliciously different and so why did they then serve us the same dish. he said something to the effect of "We have served all dishes this way but I can see what you mean and unfortunately that how we serve our food" My response to how they would deal with someone who for example was allergic to yams and now suddenly found yams on their plate was a blank stare.

I asked to speak to the owner and the server returned a few minutes later to tell me that he had said HE WAS TOO BUSY TO COME TALK TO US. So I asked if he would reconsider if I told them I was not going to pay and she responded that he had said to comp our meal. And then she left us.

So at about 10:30PM we decided to walk out and went off hungry.

If you are willing to be fooled by the two chive garnish on every main and believe you are having a fancy meal then go ahead and go on to Grasslands.