This Week in Food: Black Rabbit Cafe, Lisa Marie, Boccone Trattoria Veloce, Valentine's Buffet, Appetite
This Week in Food rounds up the week's food news, restaurants openings and closings, chef movements and upcoming food events in Toronto. Find us here every Friday morning.
OPENINGS & CLOSING
- Black Rabbit Fresh Food Café is now open at 2312 Bloor Street West, offering a menu of soups, salads and sandwiches with a focus on organic and local ingredients.
- Boccone Trattoria Veloce from Massimo Capra (Mistura) is the first of Pearson Airport's upgraded restaurant offerings to open.
- Fidel Gastro's is set to take-over the recently shuttered Prague European Kitchen at 638 Queen Street West. The new restaurant named Lisa Marie will serve up his signature sandwiches as well as small plates of Venetian street food.
- Appetite has surfaced in the old Loic Gourmet space at 722 Queen Street East in Riverside.
- Mexi-Can Market at 310 College Street is suddenly deadpool. The original grocery store of the same name is still open at College east of Lansdowne.
- This weekend, the Sweets & Treats Food Tour departs from the Foodies on Foot Studio (75 Portland Street) at 11am on Saturday, February 9th and Sunday, February 10th. Tickets are $69-80 and include a guided tour and tastings at Valentine's Day-themed food stops.
- Parkdale's The Rhino (1249 Queen Street West) hosts the 1st Annual Rhino Winter Beer Festival on Sunday, February 10th from 11 am to 6 pm.
- The ongoing GE Café Chefs Series: Masters of Food is back at the Evergreen Brickworks (550 Bayview Avenue) on Tuesday, February 12th with an evening billed as Building Community Through Food, and is hosted by Chris Brown of the The Stop.
- Parts & Labour (1566 Queen Street West) serves up an All You Can Eat Valentine's Buffet starting at 8pm on Thursday, February 14th. Tickets are $30 in advance and available at the restaurant and Rotate This.
- Tickets are on sale now for a Kensington Market Dishcrawl on Wednesday, February 20th. The tour will stop in at 4 secret locations to sample the goods from some of this neighbourhood's diverse purveyors.
- Starting this weekend, La Carnita will begin serving a Sunday brunch from 11am to 3pm.
Photo from our review of La Carnita