How to get fat at the CNE
Yesterday's media preview finally afforded us the chance to get a good look at all this deep-fried CNE food we've been talking about since the donut cheeseburger was announced. Some of it looks great, some of it looks gross — but to say the options are high in calories would be an understatement. Some of these eats are downright monsters in that regard.
Just for the sake of it, let's put together an exemplary meal with caloric estimates:
- A donut cheeseburger with bacon for dinner: 1,550 calories
- Some fries for the side (size large): 560 calories
- A pickle on a stick to cut some of the fat: 8 calories
- A deep-fried cola for the novelty: 1000 calories
- An actual coke because you need a drink (size large): 300
- And a deep-fried Mars bar for dessert: 400 calories
- TOTAL: 3818
By way of comparison, the calorie count on a double Big Mac combo:
- Double Big Mac: 700 calories
- Large fries: 560 calories
- Large Coke: 300
- Baked apple pie: 270
- TOTAL: 1830
That ain't a pound for pound comparison given the extra items on the CNE list, but I suppose it gets the point across. In case anyone's wondering, a 165 pound male would have to ride a bike at over 20kph for five hours to burn all that 'lovin off. Caveat emptor!
Deep-fried cheese curds
Deep-fried mac and cheese balls
The donut cheeseburger, with bacon!
Pizza on a stick
Deep-fried vachon cakes
Deep-fried Kool Aid
Deep-fried mac and cheese on a stick
Deep-fried something (care to guess?)
Deep-fried pop tarts
Deep-fried cherry cola (or maybe Kool Aid)
Caloric estimates for CNE items from vendors and online caloric calculators. Please take with a grain of salt. Portion sizes quoted for fries and drinks are "large." Caloric estimates for McDonald's items from the company's website.
Photos by Jesse Milns