Tuesday, October 21, 2014Cloudy 11°C
Eat & Drink

Donut cheeseburger coming to Toronto

Posted by Staff / August 4, 2011

Donut CheeseburgerAfter rave reviews at the Calgary Stampede earlier this summer the donut cheeseburger will be arriving in Toronto. It's set to make its debut at (where else) the CNE on August 19th.

Pictured above, the officially named Krispy Kreme doughnut cheeseburger comes courtesy of Epic Burgers and Waffles and is made with two Krispy Kreme donuts, a juicy/lean ground "smash-style" burger patty, American cheddar cheese, tomato, lettuce, egg and bacon. The only thing it's missing, of course, is peameal and, say, a side of poutine. Only then will our arteries be fully satisfied.

AV / August 4, 2011 at 02:45 pm
Gross. People would eat deep-fried shit if the marketing behind it was smart enough.
RP / August 4, 2011 at 02:47 pm
There is already a doughnut burger at The Counter in the Thompson Hotel. It isn't a Krispy Kreme, but its damn good.
RP / August 4, 2011 at 02:49 pm
PS, it's "doughnut"
Dmitri replying to a comment from AV / August 4, 2011 at 02:49 pm
Unhealthy like crazy - yes. Deep fried shit - no. Just because this looks like a heart attack doesn't mean it isn't worth a try.
Andrew / August 4, 2011 at 02:57 pm
So repulsed but so intrigued...
stephanie / August 4, 2011 at 02:59 pm
it looks delicious, i'll take 3 please.
mister_fusspot / August 4, 2011 at 03:02 pm
I say deliver a dozen to Rob Ford's office and hope for a heart attack.
Sandman replying to a comment from mister_fusspot / August 4, 2011 at 03:08 pm
I hope the same happens to you.
ass / August 4, 2011 at 03:11 pm
Cant taste worse than White Castles "burgers".
Katsumi / August 4, 2011 at 03:11 pm
Like the cops in this town aren't fat enough as it is. Can't even aim their guns straight.
muh? replying to a comment from Katsumi / August 4, 2011 at 03:12 pm
Seems like the shot pretty straight at Caribana.
Mrs.ford replying to a comment from Katsumi / August 4, 2011 at 03:12 pm
that is what I say about rob every night in the bedroom.
Just Jenny From The Cock replying to a comment from Sandman / August 4, 2011 at 03:24 pm
If someone delivered a dozen donut cheeseburgers to me I wouldn't eat them. I'd have them forwarded to Ford's office to encourage more wheezing, sweat stains and potentially a sex scandal.
J / August 4, 2011 at 03:27 pm
Can i get that with a veggie burger?
SueM / August 4, 2011 at 03:33 pm
dis.gust.ing.
paul / August 4, 2011 at 04:08 pm
"After rave reviews at the Calgary Stampede..." kinda says it all, doesn't it?
neonshaun / August 4, 2011 at 04:10 pm
wtf? Krispy Kreme? This is Canada. Try Tim Hortons, eh?
wtf / August 4, 2011 at 04:11 pm
That is disgusting! Seriously... with these dumb "food" ideas people keep coming up with, I can't help but wonder if they just want everyone to become morbidly obese or something?
The Real Johnson / August 4, 2011 at 04:14 pm
What, no bacon?
The Real Johnson / August 4, 2011 at 04:15 pm
I should probably read the last sentence of the article before I post. Oh well. At least I didn't make some ridiculous and obvious Rob Ford joke or randomly mention potatoes.
neil davis / August 4, 2011 at 04:39 pm
it just looks like one of those things you gotta try or regret it either way. im in.
dizzy sloth / August 4, 2011 at 04:41 pm
are they using one donut or two donuts. the picture looks like they cut it in half
Aaron / August 4, 2011 at 04:59 pm
Makes me laugh how you have these nitwits who chide people for GASP! eating such a DISGUSTING! thing. The salt! The fat! Meanwhile, they're out on a Friday night inhaling a whole board's worth of charcuterie. You people really need to a) think and b) relax.
dkz / August 4, 2011 at 05:13 pm
Luther Vandross called. He wants his burger back.

Lucas / August 4, 2011 at 05:34 pm
I believe a similar 'brunch' burger is already available from The Counter in the Thompson Hotel. Never had it tho.
Paula Deen / August 4, 2011 at 06:42 pm
pfil replying to a comment from RP / August 4, 2011 at 06:50 pm
It can be spelled either way.
Patrick replying to a comment from pfil / August 4, 2011 at 06:57 pm
Yes, but only one of the spellings is correct...
St / August 4, 2011 at 07:14 pm
I had the donut burger at Stampede...it was awesome. And no, I am not obese lol
steph replying to a comment from wtf / August 4, 2011 at 09:29 pm
no ones forcing any obesity down anyones throat, fat people make dumb choices like instead of having a treat once a week they indulge in non stop eating. their choice in foods is theirs, no one else.
Scott / August 4, 2011 at 10:17 pm
I've tried one of these, delicious, unique and absolutely worth a try
Not so fat replying to a comment from steph / August 4, 2011 at 10:45 pm
That's not entirely true, Steph. The reason bad-for-us food looks good, smells good and tastes good is because it is designed to appeal, plus it's convenient and we often don't know just how bad things really are for us. Remember when caesar salads were the rage? Turns out caesar salads had as many calories as your typical burger. And speaking of caesars, who ever thought that Clamato juice could be bad for you - turns out it's (over)loaded with sodium.

Jamie Oliver gets it and that's why he's gone after the UK school system for the crap they serve kids in school cafeterias. Others get it too. If you make something appealing, convenient and combine that with poor education or disclosure, people will often make bad choices. It doesn't mean they're stupid and the fault isn't solely personal (although individuals do need to take responsibility). We also need to hold food manufacturers and policymakers to account and do a better job educating ourselves on the dangers.
Fatphobia / August 4, 2011 at 11:54 pm
Eating healthy can be expensivem if you work low paying jobs, rely on food banks finding healthy nutritous food can be difficult. This is a comment to the person saying its fat peoples fault their fat. Thats insulting. It is much more difficult than that. As someone that lost weight its hurtful to hear that. Factors that helped me was access to quality food and access and time to exercise, not all people have this. Mcdonalds is like 5 bucks, something organic at wholefoods... enough said! End rant scene. Side note, this looks fine and tasty just have it once or share the calories :D
Fatphobia / August 4, 2011 at 11:55 pm
Tom replying to a comment from Aaron / August 5, 2011 at 12:10 am
U FAT BRO?
Train Harder replying to a comment from Not so fat / August 5, 2011 at 12:11 am
I dunno about that. I think we know enough about food and how "bad" some of them are. Firstly, if your road to battle obesity is through diet without exercise or activity, your doomed to fail.
cd90 replying to a comment from Fatphobia / August 5, 2011 at 12:56 am
Honestly, though, it is very easy to eat healthier. Go to a grocery store, buy food and you can create more meals for 5 bucks than at mikey d's. people just needs to be informed of these things. Organic is better but you don't have to buy organic to eat healthier, especially if you don't have that much money.
Scott / August 5, 2011 at 08:36 am
Who cares how bad it is for you. It's fair food - try it, enjoy it, and move on. It's a once a year thing.
yt replying to a comment from cd90 / August 5, 2011 at 08:43 am
"creating meals" also requires time in a lot of instances. what's easier? spending an hour crafting a meal, or chucking a frozen pre-made thing into a machine and waiting for it to be ready?

it costs time and energy to both learn and do the things you seem to think are so easy. while i agree that it needn't cost a huge amount to eat more healthily than McD's, for example, there are a variety of reasons why people don't. i would wager that most people who are in that position are aware that their habits are unhealthy and would like to change them. perhaps you would like to cook for them, or at least, teach them?

maybe it's time for an updated version of "home economics" in public schools?

JD / August 5, 2011 at 12:33 pm
Hmm... First Rob Ford, then donut cheeseburgers...

Coincidence?
AK / August 5, 2011 at 01:12 pm
You can already get a Doughnut burger at "The Counter" in the Thompson Hotel....this is old news.
perspective? / August 5, 2011 at 01:21 pm
What I think is funny is the outrage over a burger being on a donut, but no one cares if it's on a hamburger bun. A white bread hamburger bun is only marginally better for you than a donut. Put that same burger on a bagel, and you're actually looking at a higher caloric value than the donut. Sure, it's not great that the donut is deep fried but hey- I'm sure everyone's eaten a pound of wings, right? This isn't really all that different from other fast food options.
Mike replying to a comment from JD / August 5, 2011 at 04:28 pm
What a hilarious observation! Fat jokes about Rob Ford are so now and current. There's such untapped potential there. Maybe you also have something droll to add about how much poorer airplane food is than normal food?
JD replying to a comment from Mike / August 5, 2011 at 04:56 pm
Did I offend you? Is Rob sacred ground? I'm so sorry that you feel the need to defend him.
saskool / August 5, 2011 at 08:22 pm
Never mind disgusting taste, at a time when millions of people are facing starvation on the other side of the globe, to invent/wolf down a 1500 calorie "burger" is obscene and truly wrong.
nothin' replying to a comment from Paula Deen / August 6, 2011 at 01:26 am
Exactly what I was thinking, but Paula's heart attack burger is more hardcore. Am I mistaken or did she fry her bacon in butter for this one?
louise / August 6, 2011 at 04:15 pm
I personally would rather eat those donuts than the burger meat
Ruckus / August 6, 2011 at 10:48 pm
Damn son! That burger look like some serious "itis" food

NutsNGumTogetherAtLast / August 9, 2011 at 04:59 pm
One step up from last year's coronary inducing delicacy at the CNE: deep-fried butter.
Joanne / August 18, 2011 at 11:50 pm
You guys know that no person can get obese with just ONE of these things right? People should have common sense. If there's a health issue where you can't eat this, DON'T! If you don't want your kids to eat, DON'T let them. It's really quite that simple folks. If you don't want to get fat but still want to try it, why not split one with a friend? Or if you find it disgusting, just don't buy it!
Yoshiboy / October 13, 2011 at 12:04 am
They have this "burger" in Atlanta. It's called the Luther Vandross Burger.
However it's not one Krispy Kreme. It's a 6oz patty sandwiched between two of those sweet bad boys.

Mmmm sooo good people don't even know.
Say what you will but it's still so good I have dreams about it.
Alex / October 13, 2011 at 09:32 am
I dunno, I just don't see a sweet doughnut going well with a burger and cheese. I don't think I'd try one.

What's with putting eggs on burgers? I've seen that around at places like Hero Burger and stuff, is that new or has it always been around and I just haven't seen it...Unless the burger was really small I don't think I could finish a burger that had a whole egg on it.
Yoshiboy / October 13, 2011 at 10:55 am
@Alex: It's each's own choice.

As for the egg on the burger. I moved here from Kansas City 2 years ago and there is this place called Blancs Burgers and Bottles, my wife and I were introduced to this Bison Burger w/Fried Egg on top. All I can say is that I have started to see this all over and Blancs was the first place I saw/had this. That was 5yrs ago. I crave this combo but no one does it better than Blancs.
Especially with the side truffle fries.

Alex replying to a comment from Yoshiboy / October 13, 2011 at 11:41 am
What are truffle fries? Is that just like those zig-zaggy ones?