Thursday, April 24, 2014Clear 0°C
Eat & Drink

13 dog-friendly patios in Toronto

Posted by Robyn Urback / May 31, 2011

Dog patios TorontoWhat's better than a pint on the patio in the summer sun with friends? Well, a pint on the patio in the summer sun with all your friends, of course. Naturally, I'm referring to our furry pals. While dogs aren't technically allowed on Toronto patios that serve food or drinks, pet owners eventually come to which places are more accommodating than others in terms offering water, treats, or simply smiles tossed a panting dog's way.

The best pet-friendly patios also have convenient or shady tie-up spots, perfect if you have a normal dog who doesn't cry and whine and choke herself trying to clamber onto your lap. Sigh. For all of you leaders of the pack who didn't somehow foster extreme separation anxiety in your dog, check out this list. We asked our Twitter followers to name the dog-friendliest patios in Toronto, and here are some of the responses, in no particular order:

The Black Bull
The Black Bull is always great with dogs. I've been there several times when a waiter has offered to move our dogs into the gated-in spot for bikes, which is usually a much more relaxing experience for them. Plus, the Black Bull always keeps the good stuff flowing, and by that I of course mean water.

The Artful Dodger
The Artful Dodger has lots of green things to poke snouts into and friendly passersby for licking. The atmosphere is relaxed, so at little self-grooming going on during beer o'clock is never a big deal.

Caplansky's
"I can haz taste?" The bad thing about bringing your dog by Caplansky's patio is seeing the woeful look in her eyes as she watches you devour a mouthwatering mound of smoked meat. At least there's lots of gate on Brunswick off of which to chill.

Lion on the Beach
Appropriate that a Beaches pub would be named for this list, since the Beaches is perhaps one of the top dog-loving communities in Toronto. Lots of room near the back of the patio for minimally obstructed tie-ups,meaning both you and pup will be happy.

Stratengers
Stratengers' patio gets a lot of sun, so they're keen to make sure your dog stays hydrated. And a pint for you too, I suppose.

Bar Wellington
Sometimes you can catch Bar Wellington with fresh bowls already waiting by the fence to get lapped up by thirsty travelers. Here's to hoping someone drops a fry.

Whistler's Grille
Broadview babies looking for a good time can hang out near Whistler's Grille and Cafe Bar. Must not be spooked by live music!

Le Select Bistro
On the surface, Le Select Bistro wouldn't seem like the place to boast a particularly dog-friendly patio, but perhaps our pets are aromatically enjoying the Bistro's selection of fine wines and fresh dishes? Or perhaps they're just nibbling on the plants when we're not looking.

Mildred's Temple Kitchen
There's noms for everyone here! That's right, dog treats right at the entrance, and bowls of water upon request. A quick belly rub, and this would surely be Liberty Village livin' at its finest.

Dr Generosity
As long as that doctor is not a vet, I'm sure we'll all be happy. There's just a small patio here, but all the better to get up close and personal and possibly snag a taste of that famous tuna sandwich.

Victory Cafe
Victory Cafe has nice little spaces between its gate and sidewalk bike racks for pups to curl up and snooze away the afternoon while their masters enjoy a drink. And don't worry--they can get one too.

Cafe Novo
Cafe Novo's patio is totally dog-friendly. And while you're picking up something freshly baked for you inside, you can pick up something for him too! Yup, delicious dog treats.

Last Temptation
Cold beer, lots of friends, and no worries on Pedestrian Sunday--perfect for Toronto dogs. (Okay, maybe not the 'cold beer' part.) But fresh water and no cars to fret about (or chase, for that matter) makes Last Temptation's patio great for dogs.

Know of other pet-friendly Toronto patios? Add them to the comments below.

Photo by Roger Cullman

Richie / May 31, 2011 at 09:19 am
I'm not sure theres anything worse than having to listen to some douchebag's dog whine on the curb while they plow through pints of PBR and smoke Gauloises on the patio.
BostonTerrorist / May 31, 2011 at 09:27 am
I have a boston terrier.
Poor guy cant handle the heat on a patio.

Al / May 31, 2011 at 09:47 am
The Foggy Dew on King always puts out bowls of water for dogs just outside the fence. In fact, I've found all the "Irish Pubs" to be generally accomodating of dogs outside patios.
huskylord / May 31, 2011 at 09:48 am
Can any be considered "dog friendly" if your dog has to be on the other side of the fence?
Marcy / May 31, 2011 at 09:56 am
Huskylord, what a dumb thing to write. Dogs aren't babies. There are also health regulations to think about. Do you carry your dog in a bag?

Richie, you're hilarious.
Colonel Tom / May 31, 2011 at 11:05 am
Those are not "dog-friendly" patios. I would call them dog-tolerant. Tolerant as long as you don't bring them ON the patio. I'd rather leave my dog at home. There are a number of bars that will let you bring your dog onto the patio, some right into the bar. And I will not say which ones they are, cause whinging folks like Marcy would no doubt call the inspectors.
kidssucks / May 31, 2011 at 11:13 am
I would gladly exchange a dog on a patio for some dumb ass whiney baby.

Pappi23 / May 31, 2011 at 11:20 am
Watermark at Queens Quay terminal is Dog tolerant too.
Michelle / May 31, 2011 at 11:43 am
Many of us eat with dogs whining at our feet at home anyway, so what's the difference? I just don't know how nice it is for dogs to be tied up on a sidewalk etc. in the summer, watching their owners relax.
Marcy / May 31, 2011 at 11:46 am
Who cares, they're dogs. Must you entertain them every second? They are not your equal.
WhippitGood / May 31, 2011 at 12:00 pm
I'm with Colonel Tom. Dog-tolerant as as good we are allowed to get in Toronto. Frustrating that decisions like this are made for us when most of us feel quite safe to eat in the same room as our pets and should have the choice outside. You're eating outside, a bird could crap in your salad, but god forbid a dog sits at your feet! The only cafe that is allowed dogs is the one in the PawsWay, probably because they have Purina money. Just try to get the same "special licence" as an independent cafe owner.
Matt / May 31, 2011 at 12:24 pm
I'm fairly certain that Marcy is a cat.
mike in parkdale / May 31, 2011 at 01:32 pm
I can understand that if you're out walking the dog, and want to grab a quick bite or a pint and then continue on your way.... but I've seen people sit at patios for HOURS with dogs tied up outside. Sure there's water, and usually shade, but the boredom must be killing them.
hammy / May 31, 2011 at 03:02 pm
fact: most people are too stupid to be good pet owners

fact: the city is no place for dogs

fact: if your dog is below your knee, thats a barking cat

Jane / May 31, 2011 at 03:03 pm
LOL@Matt. Mike - my dog would rather be anywhere with me outside than inside - just sayin...provided there's shade, water and a tasty morsel or two tossed her way - people and whatever passes by and sun and wind - make her happy and me too so - depends on the dog I'd say... Of course if you mean by HOURS - like 3+ - they're just idiots... but those are everywhere.....
bjws replying to a comment from Richie / May 31, 2011 at 03:07 pm
totally agree. if you have time for a pint, you had time to take your dog home first. Don't inconvenience everyone because you decided to burden yourself with a dog you clearly don't want anymore.
DaveO / May 31, 2011 at 03:09 pm
You're absolutely right Marcy, dogs are NOT your equal, they are WAY better. The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.
idiotbabies replying to a comment from bjws / May 31, 2011 at 03:09 pm
Same goes for babies and kids.
Marcy replying to a comment from DaveO / May 31, 2011 at 03:19 pm
A bit of a deluded world you live in, is it?
Krystine / May 31, 2011 at 03:30 pm
Whoa @bjws lets not jump to massive conclusions about people you don't know. As an owner of two dogs, whom I love very much as dogs, not children or equals, on occasion I quite like to take my dogs with me to meet a friend on a patio somewhere. They love the attention they get from passers by. They love the walk there and back. They love laying in the sun or shade and mostly I've got them out in the evening anyway...There's nothing nicer then walking along Harbourfront and stopping at Watermark for a pint and water for the dogs before making the journey back home. I must say that there's a lot of ignorant, I can only assume non-dog owners or animal lovers period replying to this article that are just looking to be haters of something. If you don't have something to actually contribute to the topic, how about not saying anything at all? DOG LOVERS UNITE!!!
JJ replying to a comment from WhippitGood / May 31, 2011 at 03:32 pm
WhippitGood - I was the GM at PawsWay when they launched and, actually, we had almost nothing to do with the permission from the City for Williams Coffee Pub (a paying tenant of PawsWay) to have dogs allowed in the seating area.

Williams Coffee Pub applied for the permission to the City (not sure if anybody on the PawsWays third-party architecture team had to sign off on paperwork), and worked within the existing City bylaws and health regs to ensure they were in compliance. Any other business in TO can do the same application. As long as they comply, they *should* be approved (I say this knowing City regs can be tricky to navigate, so each situation could have its own circumstances).

It's a great place to hang out before you go in to PawsWay to have fun and learn about the joys of dogs and cats.
Marcy / May 31, 2011 at 03:42 pm
Just to be sure, I do love dogs. A lot. I'm a dog person. Just this prissy BS about your dogs needing to be treated as first class human citizens annoys me. It's weird for one, and extremely spoiled. Take care of them, love them, treat them with respect. That's all.
Marcy / May 31, 2011 at 03:49 pm
Oh, and I love this article about dog-friendly patios. It's great! I'm supportive of it.
Jessica / May 31, 2011 at 03:50 pm
The worst dog experience I ever had was at The Black Bull. My friend asked for some water for his dog and the waitress said, "Seriously? Dude, I serve humans."
Dayna / May 31, 2011 at 04:14 pm
I just tweeted yesterday about what a tragedy it is that poor dogs get dragged around in the heat only to be tied outside on the pavement with no more than a couple of feet of leash. I am a dog lover/owner and am all for dog-friendly spaces in the city, but this article is seriously bogus.

People: stop tying your dogs out in the heat (even if it is shady) and cold (even if it is a Husky) while you dine and drink in comfort! It's bordering on cruelty even if the spot is shady.

Dogs are not accessories and don't need to get everywhere with you, especially when they can't be free to run/sniff/explore. They're better off at home.

While I think most of @hammy's comments are unhelpful, I have to agree: "most people are too stupid to be good pet owners"
stefanie / May 31, 2011 at 04:39 pm
city dog owners make me sick. I wonder how many city dog owners also have tattoos?
Really? / May 31, 2011 at 04:44 pm
People who make mass generalizations make me sick, I wonder how many of them don't know how to use capital letters and randomly replace "ph" with "f" because they're too lazy to learn how to write?
Krystine replying to a comment from stefanie / May 31, 2011 at 04:45 pm
Stupidest comment I've read in recent history. How ignorant can one person be? That's pretty much racist. All city dog owners who are bad in your eyes have tattoos?! Get help Stefanie...
keven / May 31, 2011 at 04:45 pm
It's funny how if you leave your dog unattended for hours, it's considered cruelty. But if you leave your dog (semi) attended for hours in a similiar environment, it's not.

I wonder how many dog owners here are appalled when someone leaves their dog unattended for hours? Or locked in a car? I realize there are some slight differences, but not many in leaving your dog (semi) attended (if at all) in the sun, locked with 2 feet of leash at a patio.
Krystine replying to a comment from keven / May 31, 2011 at 04:48 pm
I only stop at a patio with my dog if I can sit along the railing and keep him with me...everyone here that's making these broad assumptions and generalizations are really being unfair and looking at this topic from a very skewed perspective it seems.

Thank you BlogTO for posting this article, it's great...the comments, not so much.
keven replying to a comment from Krystine / May 31, 2011 at 04:53 pm
No, you are right. And you are responsible. I'm not making assumptions, but people like you ARE the exception to the rule. Sorry, I've said things to people on TOO many occassions regarding this, who are just SITTING at the patio for HOURS, barely (if at all) paying attention to their pets. I've also brought water to dogs that look like they are about to die.
Welshgrrl / May 31, 2011 at 05:03 pm
I don't mind dogs on a patio if owners are stopping for lunch and/or a drink, but I can do without being subjected to bored dogs barking/whining for hours while their owners sit there for hours getting drunk and barely paying attention to them
Dog Poop Fun / May 31, 2011 at 07:35 pm
Whenever I look after my sister's dog, I let it take a big dump right outside the entrance to the Old Spaghetti Factory, knowing some poor 905er chump will unwillingly step (or if I'm lucky, slip and fall!) in it on their way out. Usually happens well before I make it to my condo entrance, so I can watch in delight. Hilarious stuff. I'd prefer to do it at the Bier Market entrance but it's usually packed with too many 905ers waiting outside to get in :(
the dog walker / June 1, 2011 at 04:46 pm
so being able to tie your dog on the other side of a fence is considered 'dog friendly'? You can do that anywhere!

This column is pointless!
mrs potato / June 1, 2011 at 04:50 pm
The dog in the photo above looks like he's overheating.
Which is a common sight for dogs on patios.
You should an article on that.
Photos of dogs sitting on the hot pavement, over heating.

a perfect example of why dogs don't need to be at patios. :(
They also just block the sidewalk for pedestrians.
Chris replying to a comment from hammy / June 1, 2011 at 05:44 pm
Fact: You're an idiot.

Chris replying to a comment from keven / June 1, 2011 at 05:47 pm
"people like you are exceptions to the rule."
Yes, the city is simply filled with abusive dog owners. Do they ever let you into the real world? I highly recommend it.
keven replying to a comment from Chris / June 1, 2011 at 07:23 pm
We're talking about ppl who take their dogs to patios and tie them up. Not a "city filled with abusive dog owners". Watch the beat, Mr. no-comprehension to contextual discussion!

Although, I must say, your hyperbole and poor execution of an insult is pretty funny though! So I can't laugh with you, but I can at least laugh at you!
Josh / June 2, 2011 at 09:21 pm
Great article Robyn.

If I get a dog now I will know.

Article on dog/wifi friendly patio?

-Josh
Dill / June 3, 2011 at 04:17 pm
a lot of people posting here need help and Stephanie, you're definitely one of them. Many of you are hateful people are perfect examples of why the world is in the sewer.
J / June 5, 2011 at 05:09 pm

I would never take my dog to these places because they do not have enough shade for either of us.

There are other, better places to have a coffee or drink while walking your dog. If you know these places, please keep them secret because otherwise the sort of people who read things on the Internet and think they are entitled will show up and ruin the discretion reserved for the rest of us.

If my dog barks at you, sorry, it's just because you are a bad person. They are animals and they can't help how they respond. Maybe you should think about how to be better and then animals won't sense your negative, shifty evil and freak out every time you are near?
Britt / June 8, 2011 at 10:57 am
ALSO The Palmerston on Palmerston and Dundas West is very dog friendly. They let me tie my puppy to my chair and even brought over a bowl of water for him.
Matthew Douglas / July 12, 2011 at 12:24 pm
Like others on there, I've heard of a few outdoor patios that let dogs onto their patios, but won't mention them here. Strictly speaking, dogs could be allowed onto patios of restaurants, but Ontario health inspectors enfore a regulation that is actually open to interpretation. A must-read on this can be found here:

Especially outside where birds (not just cute "sparrows", but disgusting pigeons land on restaurant tables, I just don't see how a dog laying under a table is a threat to public health.
Matthew Douglas replying to a comment from Marcy / July 12, 2011 at 12:36 pm
In my opinion, the health concerns are tenuous at best and city health inspectors interpret the regulations which does not explicitly prohibit dogs on restaurant patios. The regulations prohibit animals in ROOMS where food is served, dogs should in theory be allowed on restaurant premises. For an interesting read on the subject, see:

Roxy / July 15, 2011 at 04:06 pm
As an owner of a dog, I wish I could find a patio that allows for us to sit together. The idea of having him tied up outside the fence and in the hot sun just doesn't sit well with me. We usually get take out and sit in the park together where I can give him his water, treats and toys. I heard that in the UK you can bring your dog to the pubs no problem.
Matthew Douglas replying to a comment from Roxy / July 15, 2011 at 05:00 pm
I'm not sure about the UK, but it's completely normal on the European continent to bring dogs onto patios (inside a lot of casual diners, too). I lived overseas for many years and more often than not first person served a drink was not the customer, but the dog.
Rosemary / June 8, 2012 at 02:08 pm
Will someone please contest the legislation re no pets in restaurants Canada wide so a franchise like Tim Hortons or Starbuck will have treats for pets, kids and adults so that people with pets hava an indoor or outdoor place to go to as a walk or drive destination for treats.
It seems as though it should be very easy to contest when guide DOGS are allowed in - but no other dogs/cats - seems prejudicial since Airlines allow dogs and cats to fly inside with their owners and their owners eat in the planes - see Westjet as an example and there are pet friendly hotels but not pet friendly hostels and only a few pet friendly human shelters. This also needs to change - remember Hurreicane Katrina - please lets get this changed before the need arises for the sheltering of you and your pets (to keep your family intact - sleeping and eating together)or someone you know has a need. Also, please find out now where your closest human shelter is now that will welcome you and your pet(s) - it may take awhile because there may not be one in your village, town or city and you may have to travel quite a distance unless a pet friendly shelter is started where you live.
Rosemary / June 8, 2012 at 02:30 pm

Below are further examples of pet friendly eateries:

Williams Coffee Pub
245 Queens Quay West, North Building Toronto, ON, CA M5J 2K9
416-306-0335

Williams Coffee Pub Overview

Visit our cafe located inside PawsWay (a Pet Discovery Centre), and enjoy a coffee or a snack with your dog in Toronto's first pet-friendly indoor and outdoor seating area!

Phone: 416-360-PAWS (7297)

1-888-608-PAWS (7297)

Email: info@pawsway.ca

Monday: Tuesday: Wednesday: Thursday: Friday: Saturday: Sunday:

11am-8pm Closed 11am-8pm 11am-8pm 11am-8pm 11am-6pm 11am-6pm

Eastern Standard Time

-----------------------

Small Things: CATS and Books
253 Hazel St., Sudbury, ON, P3C 1J1 (Just down from the corner of Lorne and Hazel St. Beside Extreme Pizza One - Across the road from Nickel City Hotel)(705) 586-7828 (kum-quat) www.smallthings.cajan.smallthings@gmail.com

CAT CAFÉ

Saturdays and Sundays from 1 to 4 pm

Have a coffee and a sweet. Play with our friendly adoptable cats; meet up with friends.

Note: Small Things is run by volunteers so why not call ahead to 586-7828 (spells kum-quat). We are closed on holidays and long weekends.

-------------------------

TokyoCat Cafes | Calico - World News | Breaking US News and ...

Tokyo Cat Cafes. GlobalPost's Mimi Hanaoka reports on Tokyo cat cafes. The growing popularity of the Calico cat cafe and other Tokyo catcafes.
www.globalpost.com/dispatch/japan/ 090406/tokyos-cat-cafes- Cached

Rosemary / June 8, 2012 at 02:43 pm
Re first comment I sent at 2:08pm today, my definition of a family is: human(s) with their pet(s) = a family
That's why I strongly believe the both pets and their humans want to stay together for life through what ever life may throw their way because they love each other, and gain strength and encouragement from each other to go through whatever.
Please make a way for human shelters to be places where pets and their humans can stay together in one room keeping the family intact - together.
K / June 8, 2012 at 03:06 pm
As someone who is trained in food health safety, I'm perfectly happy that dogs and other creatures are not allowed in restaurants. It isn't hygienic people. Patios are a different story. As long as no one is preparing food outside then I think pets should be allowed out there as well.

Trust me. I love my dog and my cats, but I wouldn't think about letting them into a restaurant with me. Doesn't mean I'm about to disown them.
Rosemary / June 8, 2012 at 03:59 pm
I am surprised at "K"'s answer because if has been trained in food health safety and she says she loves her dog and cats, I am quite certain she knows her pets do not have to and are not permanently locked away from her home kitchen and the dog and cats are probably from time to time, actually in the same room as the food is being prepared, served and eaten and my guess is that no one in "K"'s family has died as a result of either or all of her pets being in the same room when a meal is being prepared, served or eaten - therefore her argument, or point of view, in my opinion, is fairly weak and does not have the strength to stand.

Pet friendly restaurants or cafes can have signage, much like establishments that serve liquor, that they are "pet friendly" to notify everyone considering entering their eatery that they have "the right to choose", as anyone has "the right to choose" whether they wish to be where liquor is served, but now they have "the right to chooose" whether they wish to eat or drink where live animals, known as pets will be present.

I think we all should have "the right to choose" with whom we eat - don't you?
Rosemary / June 8, 2012 at 04:54 pm
One additional comment:

There is ONE human shelter in the City of Toronto that will take humans with their pets:

Fred Victor United Bethlehem

Please contact them for more info
Mystique / June 15, 2012 at 09:55 am
My dog comes to our baseball games on friday nights, team mascot! but our last few games have been at Riverdale park and i havent been able to join the team for drinks and food after the games becuase we cant even find dog tollerant patios-one only allowed small dogs-(outside of patio is fine, as long as we can sit next to him) please, we have another game tonight, if anyone knows a place for patio wings and beers in the carlton / Parliment area please post!!!
Tcup Leo / February 2, 2013 at 02:57 pm
It's funny how ppl think that DOGs are a Heath hazard on patios meanwhile birds are carriers of tons of diseases and parasites! I don't see anyone freaking about them being on ur table !!
Leo replying to a comment from Marcy / February 2, 2013 at 03:02 pm
Wow ur kinda rude and obnoxious! Dogs are way cleaner then the birds that usually surround us on patios at all times! Don't hearing u b**** about them! Shows that u never cared about anyone or anything besides urself!!
Jules / March 3, 2013 at 03:33 am
Why would someone say city dog owners make them sick, and dogs shouldn't be in the city is absolute ridiculous!! So only people in suburbs or the country should have dogs? Guess that would leave ALOT of dogs in shelters.
As well, there is MUCH more to do in the city with my dog than the suburbs (which where I grew up) there are dog parks everywhere in the city, including beaches, harbour front where I rollerblade with my dog, pawsway in door fun activities for colder months! A simple walk down any city street my dog meets so many people and other dogs on a daily basis! The city with my dog is truly amazing!! The suburb where my parents live there is NONE of that! Except walking your dog down the street where it's empty or going to a park where it's kids friendly and not dog friendly! So don't base your opinion on some stupid pet owners you see in the city! The city is more alive than any suburbs and more young and active than the owners I see in the suburbs, with one or two boring walks a day! There are pros and cons to everything, so saying such a ludicrous remark is stupidity!
Jules / March 3, 2013 at 03:35 am
Sarah replying to a comment from Colonel Tom / May 26, 2013 at 08:33 pm
Tom, can you email me directly the names of some that will allow a dog on the patio. I'm coming into the city in a couple weeks with my small dog and I can't imagine she will sit outside of the patio walls. She'd cry! ryalens@gmail.com
L.J. / June 17, 2013 at 02:53 pm
Hey people. The squeeking wheel gets the grease. Pardon my spelling... I didn't count but it seems that there are more people in favor of pets in restaurants then not. I work in a restaurant. I handle money and serve food. Can anyone tell me what is dirtier pets or money???? As far as I'm concerned MONEY!!!!. I don't think pets are dirty. Most true animal lovers would agree. You know who you are too. Your not the people who say " i love dogs so much " and then wince if a dog tries to kiss you. Or keep your dog on the end of a rope 24-7.
Monty replying to a comment from Marcy / July 14, 2013 at 12:30 pm
Marcy, it could not be more obvious that you're bitter about something. Did your ex leave you for his dog, perhaps? He loved the dog more than you, and you laid down an ultimatum? And he chose the dog. And now every time someone speaks of their dog with any personification, it irks you, right? How dare those fools not see your superiority to this animal? With all your "speaking real words" and "not pooping on the grass"...you're better than them, dammit! Honestly, who among us hasn't had a collar put on us and leashed to a tree? I'm with you. I mean really! Having your dog sit on the ground next to you while you eat? Next they'll be wanting the beast to sleep indoors and eat regularly, and then where will the madness ever end? Thank you Marcy... for showing us the error of our ways.
Moneesha / July 14, 2013 at 03:17 pm
Yes, the ever more entitled "pet owner".
llucas / July 25, 2013 at 01:32 pm
I would add the Beer Bistro to the list. 18 King Street@Victoria. It is not marketed as a dog-friendly patio, but worked really well for us last night with a big dog. The patio is in an alley so there is virtually no traffic but still open space and lots of potted flowers to give that summer feel. Menu was excellent and Sassy lay comfortably beside us Justin the other side of the metal fencing. Worked perfect. We did not expect we would be ale to dine out in downtown Toronto with her. Menu and drinks were so excellent! Highly recommend!
winnyellie replying to a comment from mike in parkdale / August 2, 2013 at 10:34 am
What do you think the dogs do at home? I love when I can bring my dog and sit for hours on a patio. He loves to people watch and be out and about with his humans. And for all the people talking about dogs that whine. My dog does not whine- ever. He doesn't bark either. There is no way that my dog would annoy customers anymore than a young child or a loud group.
winnyellie replying to a comment from Dayna / August 2, 2013 at 10:44 am
Explain to me how my dog is better off sitting inside in my condo alone than out on a patio with me, perfectly comfortable, with water and company. My dog loves being able to accompany us around the city. He takes subways, buses and streetcars like a pro.

Oh and before you say "well you shouldn't have a dog unless you have lots of space", I got my dog from Toronto Animal Services. He had been transferred here from Ohio and had spent a total of over 6 months in a shelter. He now has a family who loves him, spends lots of time with him and gives him good food, water, exercise and medical care. Tell me how he'd be better off if we never took him home?
Karen replying to a comment from huskylord / August 2, 2013 at 10:54 am
In my opinion...no!
Kathy replying to a comment from Marcy / August 17, 2013 at 08:40 pm
I beg to differ... Dogs are not what they were even 10 years ago, they are part of the family. So, if germy kids are allowed everywhere why shouldn't I be able to enjoy a patio seat with fido.
Emily / October 10, 2013 at 11:42 am
Whelan's Gate front patio is dog friendly. Their food is great and they spoil my pooch with treats. It's a great place to enjoy a family meal out for us and we go there all the time because they allow and love our little guy.

I understand some places don't allow dogs, and I get why. But a well-behaved dog shouldn't be a problem at establishments that are welcoming. I am used to the UK where dogs are allowed in most bars and pubs "with well-behaved owners". :) That always makes me smile. I am happy to support establishments that are dog friendly when I find them.
Anastiscia Chantler replying to a comment from Marcy / February 26, 2014 at 08:20 am
I totally agree, most dogs are far more intelligent, and more sensible than people.
You thought that comment through.