Thursday, July 31, 2014Partly Cloudy 21°C

House of the Week: 229 Winnett Avenue

Posted by Leslie Bank / March 4, 2014

229 Winnett Avenue Toronto229 Winnett Avenue is wee. With a lot size of 12.5 ft wide, it's just slightly bigger than 128 Day Avenue (Toronto's tiniest, aka "The Little House").

Sandwiched between two tall detached homes, the detached cottage appears especially small, although one can find a few similar bungalows scattered throughout this Oakwood-Vaughan neighbourhood. The house has been recently upgraded with a new front deck, storage shed in the rear, and a fresh (if plain) three-piece bathroom. If you're looking at condos -- with a condo-sized budget -- but dream of owning a home, this could be a clever alternative. Just watch your head on the ascent to that loft bedroom.

Although the house is small, it doesn't read as cramped. The cathedral ceiling offers some extra space and strategically placed skylights bring in some much-needed natural light. The bathroom, living space, and master bedroom are all move-in ready, but the kitchen cabinets and lighting could benefit from a bit of a facelift. The house is close to Cedarvale Park and the ravine system, but it's a hike on foot to amenities on Eglinton or St Clair West.

229 Winnett AveSPECS

• Address: 229 Winnett Ave.
  • Price: $329,000
  • Lot Size: 12.5 x 79.5 ft
  • Bedrooms: 1 + 1
  • Bathrooms: 1
  • Parking: n/a
  • Taxes: $1,444.29 (2013)
  • Walk Score: 78

229 Winnett AveNOTABLE FEATURES

• Newly renovated bathroom
  • Cathedral ceiling with loft bedroom
  • Wrought iron spiral staircase

229 Winnett AveGOOD FOR

Good for a first-time buyer with a tight budget, or a condo-dweller looking to trade in big windows and a view for some grass and privacy. Things that might help this sale go down smoothly include existing apartment-sized furniture, a Metropass (there's no parking), creative storage ideas and an open mind.

229 Winnett AveMOVE ON IF

This house can fit a single buyer or a couple, at most. It's hard to imagine a child could fit into this space (storage is at a premium, as well) and that metal staircase is an accident waiting to happen. Space is the big deterrent here: if you think a condo is going to be too small for your needs, this tiny house probably won't be the right fit either.

MORE PHOTOS
229 Winnett Ave229 Winnett Ave229 Winnett Ave229 Winnett Ave229 Winnett Ave229 Winnett Ave229 Winnett Ave229 Winnett Ave229 Winnett Ave229 Winnett Ave229 Winnett Ave229 Winnett Ave

Read other posts in this series via our House of the Week Pinterest board.

Sean / March 4, 2014 at 12:27 am
Well kept. Nice.
Andrew / March 4, 2014 at 12:40 am
So at the end of the day, two neighbours at some point in the past successfully subdivided the space on there lot, and made this tiny house. Was there a time in the 70's when this was easy?
Rob replying to a comment from m / March 4, 2014 at 01:20 am
Yup same house.. that is the basement.. and back door.. where did you think the bathroom was?
n replying to a comment from m / March 4, 2014 at 02:15 am
Aw, and you went through the trouble of copying and pasting the links to the images and everything. Darn houses for having basements!
Guy / March 4, 2014 at 07:51 am
Asking price in 2009 was $259,900. Looks like it's had some upgrades since then
Mike / March 4, 2014 at 09:57 am
This person CLEARLY loves Great Britain
jameson / March 4, 2014 at 10:00 am
if the house didn't have such cheap finishes it would actually be super cute.
Rob / March 4, 2014 at 10:15 am
I agree with the cheap finishes. It's neat and well maintained but overpriced.Based on frontage taxes should also be lower.
cute / March 4, 2014 at 10:30 am
I like everything except the price. Someone will definitely buy it at that price or more, just not me! Good luck.
CommonJerks. / March 4, 2014 at 12:16 pm
To hell with these Loyalists.
Lauren / March 4, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Does that backyard shed have another bedroom in it?
kioch / March 4, 2014 at 12:52 pm
I really like these articles.
m replying to a comment from n / March 4, 2014 at 01:44 pm
looks kinda better than the rest of the house.
It didn't mention a basement anywhere, I wouldn't wonder if it had just a tiny laundry
cathie / March 4, 2014 at 02:35 pm
Very charming house that will sell in a heartbeat. Shows well and I'm sure the buyer can put up with the "cheap" finishes and upgrade as they go along. There are others like it all about the city. Perhaps the many folks that were commenting a few days ago on this site about the difficulties in purchasing a home in the city will see that it is possible. I think this place will go over asking but 329K I would think is a do-able amount for many young people.
deezee / March 4, 2014 at 03:21 pm
Cute but the lack of windows make me claustrophobic!
Don / March 4, 2014 at 03:57 pm
So much tacky Union Jacks, and British Royalty decorations. Does Austin Powers live here?
jameson / March 4, 2014 at 05:00 pm
Considering the severe amount of flooding in the City and the fact that all the concrete pads in the back are popping out and the shed is crooked, this property could have very poor drainage due to uneven slope.

Is the price still good then?
Susan / March 4, 2014 at 07:50 pm
Lovely little starter home. Nicely finished. I'd buy it if I had the money.
Designer girl / March 4, 2014 at 08:08 pm
Cheap finishes? What do you expect in a shed sized bungalow? Did you want to impress your friends from the country club? Sheesh!
lorip / March 4, 2014 at 09:06 pm
This is soneone's home whom I'm sure worked hard to buy it. Some of the comments on here are not very nice. It's a cute little house. Apparently not everyone was taught if they had nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all.
Kate / March 4, 2014 at 09:38 pm
Lots of little houses in this city. Many came from the "shackown" era of the early 20th century (immigrants came, bought land and put up tar-paper shacks that were eventually bricked or framed over, on the outskirts of Toronto). Think of this as the original infill housing.
Helen / March 4, 2014 at 10:57 pm
WOW... i'm shocked at all the haters out there... This is actually my house, well at least till it sold tonight. I'd like to say i'd love to come trash talk your homes but i'm not that RUDE.... Yes they kitchen may not be updated and i may have "cheap" finishings but you fail to mention the brand-new high efficiency furnace, they brand new roof, they new washer, dryer, the sump pump and weeping tile and the list goes on... I didn't put this online and i didn't ask for your opinion.. Don't know who posted this but they certainly didn't get all their facts straight about this property.. If you have nothing to say then don't say anything at all ( and thats being polite )
Christina replying to a comment from Helen / March 4, 2014 at 11:06 pm
@ Helen -- F the haters! Your house is adorable and it's a great home for a couple or single person starting out. You've made it bright and cheery and obviously worked hard to update it. I would completely have bought this if I was in the market or had the money right now. Congrats on the sale!
its called the interwebz replying to a comment from Helen / March 5, 2014 at 12:21 am
ok so ONE PERSON didnt like your hyper-patriotic decor and TWO people didnt like your cheap finishes. are you seriously complaining about this? ITS CALLED THE INTERNET PEOPLE CRITICIZE FREELY HERE AND DONT HAVE TO STICK TO YOUR ANTIQUATED RULES ABOUT NOT SAYING ANYTHING THAT ISNT "NICE". omg srsly wtf
James replying to a comment from its called the interwebz / March 5, 2014 at 02:03 am
Even if the Internet was intended to be some douchebag free for all, she didn't put her home on this site for comment, assface.
Helen replying to a comment from its called the interwebz / March 5, 2014 at 06:36 am
Thats right.. I DID NOT POST THIS AND WAS NOT EVEN AWARE IT WAS UP.. So you ask if I'M seriously complaining about this.. you have to be kidding me right?? While you people who obviously have nothing better to do than complain about my "hyper - patriotic decor" and cheap finishings.. My house sold in a matter of days to a wonderful couple for well over asking price.. so just shut the #@ck up.... Go get a life ...
Sam / March 5, 2014 at 07:48 am
Nice little house

would be much nicer in the Montgomery triangle

Montgomery triangle is awesome
Sam / March 5, 2014 at 07:49 am
too much anger on this site

Be like your mayor

don't worry be happy

bunch of bumbaclots!!!

Bodyman go fly rainbow flag
ramon / March 5, 2014 at 10:57 am
I luv rainbow fags, I mean flags

Ford es kikin it!!!

Montgomery triangle is awesome
Chris Chopik / March 5, 2014 at 12:25 pm
When I first came to the real estate business one of earliest business cards brazenly declared Small is the BIG of the future. Seeing 229 Winnett Ave. with a client who is seeking to right size her life was a reminder of my interest in unusual real estate, and my gravity to small spaces. When I first showed 229 Winnett Ave. in 2009 the house had some issues, namely the awful carpeting in the main space and the dark and dated bathroom in the basement.

It seems that as the renovations on 229 Winnett Ave. are based in editing rather than replacement. The removal of the carpeting and painting of the pine subfloor in the living room make the space feel cleaner and more authentic. The tastefully and spaciously renovated bathroom with great lighting is a major improvement. I recall there was an ordour when I showed it in 2009 (which may have been coming from the carpet) but otherwise the house is materially similar to what it was back in 2009, no structural changes, or expensive kitchen renovations, just paint, love and good taste in furnishings.

Take a look at these photos from the original listing compared with the renovated 2014 images. It is quite remarkable.
Chris Chopik replying to a comment from Helen / March 5, 2014 at 12:31 pm
Helen,

It was interesting, my client and I reflected on your high efficiency heating system. I am sure it made the home much quieter, healthier, more comfortable, and more affordable. Don't worry about the haters. This blogpost probably benefited you. I, for one, think you did all the right things to bring your cute little house to life in a way that makes it a great place to call home. We'll miss you in the neighbourhood.

Chris

DeWhit / March 5, 2014 at 01:24 pm

330k will buy a lot of year round warm weather beachfront property.

Half that amount will buy some warm property within a mile of the beach.

Nothing against this small house except that price.

I think the price point is for someone that wants to buy into a theme or cause for small living, not an actual simplified life and expense in this instance.
Helen replying to a comment from Chris Chopik / March 5, 2014 at 04:08 pm
Thanks Chris, lovely of you to say this and post the pics of what it looked like in 2009.. Its funny cos i fell in love with it back then even in the state it was in.. and it was bad... LOL yes i remember the bad smell especially in the bathroom, that was the first thing to go.... ;-)
Kevin B. / March 5, 2014 at 06:00 pm
Helen, I wish I had seen this wonderful little house. It looks so cozy. I can so see you in there having tea and crumpets.. lol
kev / March 5, 2014 at 08:39 pm
Is rob ford having tea and crumpits too?

Montgomery triangle is awesome
chris / March 6, 2014 at 08:02 am
Helen, I love the spiral staircase. What company did you purchase this from? What material is it composed of? Beautiful design... congrats on the sell!
Frances / March 8, 2014 at 01:26 pm
I lived in this house as a kid. Space requirements certainly have changed. We were a family of 4, moved across the laneway to a slightly bigger place shortly after the 5th member was born. The 'basement' was a dirt dugout to accommodate the water heater and the 'bathroom' was a toilet on the closed in back porch and a galvanized tub that had to be hauled into the kitchen.
Venus replying to a comment from Frances / March 19, 2014 at 02:36 pm
Frances, I'm one of the new owners, and I'm very interested in the history of this house. Would you mind if I contacted you to ask some questions about it (such as, in what years did you live there? etc.)
kevin / March 27, 2014 at 01:18 am
Nice house--I like it

Montgomery triangle is awesome
Frances replying to a comment from Venus / March 27, 2014 at 08:02 am
Sure, although I will probably have to ask my mother. I was 7 when we moved.
Venus / March 27, 2014 at 06:12 pm
Thanks, Frances! Hmm, how can we contact each other? Would you mind sending me an email at trivenus at gmail.com?