Tuesday, September 30, 2014Cloudy 16°C

The best and worst TTC bus and streetcar routes

Posted by Chris Bateman / February 13, 2014

toronto ttc busesHow did your bus or streetcar do in the last quarter of 2013? Probably not well, if the latest TTC rankings are any guide (and they may not be, but more on that in a moment.) On average, the Toronto Transit Commission's 174 active surface routes managed to operate on or close to schedule just 65% of the time from October to December.

By its own admission, the TTC's route performance indicator, which ranks reliability as a percentage based on how often a bus or streetcar arrives three minutes either side of schedule, paints an incomplete picture.

best ttc bus routesLet's take an example: The 31 Greenwood, the most reliable bus according to the rankings, benefits from a short route - Greenwood station to Queen Street and back - quiet traffic, and a frequent schedule.

On the other side of the coin, the 26 Dupont, which hits its target 59.09% of time, worse than the TTC average, is hobbled by a long route - Jane station to St. George station via Jane, Dupont, and St. George - heavy traffic, and an infrequent schedule.

(In the interest of fairness, the worst bus chart excludes several rush hour-only services that do not operate for the majority of the week.)

"The percentage doesn't really give a fair way of judging reliability," said the TTC's Chris Upfold in an email. "That's why we're moving to a Journey Time Metric, i.e. what we say your trip should take versus how long it actually takes."

toronto ttc busesThe streetcar rankings tell another story. Both the 510 Spadina and 512 St. Clair score well thanks to a frequent schedule and a dedicated right-of-way that eliminates many of the problems of associated with operating in mixed traffic. Lines without a dedicated lane and a long, crosstown route, like the 501 Queen, tend to struggle with punctuality, according to the data.

The Downtowner and Kingston Road services score low because both operate only during peak hours. The 508 Lake Shore streetcar was excluded completely because it only operates seven times a day, giving it just 8.33% reliability.

Bottom line: Buses and streetcars work best when there's little traffic.

ttc streetcar rankings

TTC PUNCTUALITY Q4 2013 RAW DATA [GOOGLE DOCS]

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

Image: Paul Sherwood/blogTO Flickr pool.

Paco / February 13, 2014 at 03:04 am
How did the 29 Dufferin North not make the bad list. I use it only 4 times a year and each time ive had to wait forever, only to get on a over crowded bus.
Holy Thundering Jesus / February 13, 2014 at 06:15 am
Don't know how the 40 Junction is a Top preforming route, yes it's a very short route but there are only usually 2 buses on the route, maybe 3 during peak periods, they are never on time. And even though there only 2 buses somehow they are able to come one after another at times. So anyone waiting at the opposite end of the route will end up waiting more than 15 min's for a bus.
Holy Thundering Jesus / February 13, 2014 at 06:18 am
Okay just saw the google doc, WOW TTC you suck!
bob / February 13, 2014 at 08:08 am
I take the 51 Leslie. It's brutal but even during rush hour there are only like 10 people on a bus that comes every 20 minutes. So once every 20 minutes is probably generous.
p / February 13, 2014 at 08:09 am
I can't believe the King car is anywhere near 67%. Something has to be off.
Todd / February 13, 2014 at 08:21 am
I love the 97. It's fantastic if you live on Yonge, don't mind waiting a bit for one, and don't live within reasonable walking distance of a station. Traffic on Yonge from Davisville to York Mills isn't nearly as bad as many perceive. It's when you hit the suburban commuters at the 401 when it becomes a problem. I'd never take it from York Mills to Steeles.
Fordfest 2k14 / February 13, 2014 at 08:35 am
This is why we need subways!
B.W. replying to a comment from Holy Thundering Jesus / February 13, 2014 at 08:43 am
I just moved out of The Junction after living there for almost 5yrs. During rush hour the 40 bus is awesome. The only times there were ever unreasonable wait times were when there was an emergency somewhere along the route.

105 Dufferin North is the worst I've dealt with.
jameson / February 13, 2014 at 09:04 am
These rankings really just give an estimate of how well the TTC can predict the routes to arrive on time. It doesn't really say all that much because certain routes will have very predictable delays, like the King car.

Better rankings would be how over-crowded are the different routes run by the TTC.
Rob Ford / February 13, 2014 at 09:12 am
ST. CLARE DISSASSTERR!!!

*food crumbs fly out of mouth*
JI replying to a comment from Paco / February 13, 2014 at 09:24 am
I agree!!! It is a nightmare! If you miss the bus you are looking at a 30min wait guaranteed.
JI replying to a comment from Paco / February 13, 2014 at 09:25 am
Forde Nayshun replying to a comment from Rob Ford / February 13, 2014 at 09:25 am
You beat me to it your worship. This list simply isn't true. The St. Clair ROW is a DISASTER. Rob and Doug both said so. Repeatedly. I mean, it's not like they would knowingly lie about something.
Rob Ford / February 13, 2014 at 09:29 am
We could nominate really anyone to fix up this TTC fiasco. Put Doug Ford in charge of the TTC and he’ll straighten things up pretty fast.
This is not a threat, it’s a fact. I guarantee he’ll turn it around. Obviously the present chair is not doing it so we’ll get a businessman to change it. Yeah, I’d put my brother in charge and there would be no nonsense, guaranteed.

Have a great day,
Rob Ford
lknoony / February 13, 2014 at 09:33 am
I don't know how the 80 queensway bus didn't make it on the worst list....its every 25-30 mins and sometimes it just doesn't show up...if they are running late the shorten the trip and wait till its supposed to leave the next bus is...worst bus EVER
Bob Smith / February 13, 2014 at 09:45 am
168 Symington (originates at Dundas West Stn) is perhaps the worst TTC bus I've ever had the displeasure of riding.
David C / February 13, 2014 at 10:00 am
The TTC metrics of "on time" are very self-serving and their figures are not really very helpful. Steve Munro has done exhaustive (and exhausting!) analyses on many routes on his blog. Well worth reading them to get a better picture and to see how the routes REALLY work. (504 is particularly bad in recent years as more and more cars are short-turned and route 'management' seems virtually absent. Yes, 501 may be worse but ...)
Elysium / February 13, 2014 at 10:04 am
Weston Rd 89 bus - what a circus. Put your headphones on and close your eyes - unless you want to watch the cast of characters on your trip!
mike / February 13, 2014 at 10:04 am
How can you rate the 509 Harbourfront streetcar....there hasn't been a streetcar on Harbourfront for a year and a half
I See Food Difinertly replying to a comment from p / February 13, 2014 at 10:20 am
The King care is great....if you dont have to take it between Yonge and Dufferin.

Being at Queen & Broadview i cant tell you how many 504's i can get on with ease, take right to Yonge in barely 12 minutes and hop off.

Its the jerks who take it through King West that are ones who hate it.
RM / February 13, 2014 at 10:37 am
The 96 Wilson is the worst bus in the history of civilization. It also serves a lot of residences who live in Ward 2 who apparently love Rob Ford (yeah, how do you love that property tax increase for a subway in Scarborough, people?) I remember riding it yesterday thinking 'You kind of get what you deserve, people.'
Liam / February 13, 2014 at 10:39 am
I'm with Paco on this one..why no mention of the 29 Sufferin bus? (no that wasn't a typo)

I have to use it every day and it's the worst part of my day.
jimmyhat replying to a comment from Paco / February 13, 2014 at 10:39 am
I agree, the Dufferin bus is by far the worst in the city. I used to have to take it every day and it put me in such a foul mood. I moved and now take the Ossington bus, which is far more civilized, and reliable.
NotThatDave / February 13, 2014 at 10:41 am
inb4

SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS FOLKS
michael s / February 13, 2014 at 10:45 am
the sheppard 85 made the most reliable list? what alternate dimension was this survey taken in?
Mike / February 13, 2014 at 10:45 am
How did the 11 Bayview not make it on this list? It's never on time when I need it to be. haha
Alex / February 13, 2014 at 10:46 am
Thank goodness; I have complained numerous times about the 105 Dufferin North and finally it's recognized as one of the worst. It's also telling how most of the worst routes are relatively close to each other with 7/10 in North York... I guess Flemingdon Park would make it 8/10 but it's further East.
1-800-TTCGETHELP / February 13, 2014 at 10:46 am
I moved from Montreal to Toronto 3 years ago and never did I complain about the service back home. Compared to Toronto, the transit service is 100 times better than here. And guess what? THE METRO PASS IS FAR MORE CHEAPER!!!!
Tell us TTC, what are we paying $133.75 a month for? I never got on a subway where they randomly announce "this train is out of service". WTH??????? Even the mini taxis and buses in the Caribbean are way better than the TTC!!!!
chester / February 13, 2014 at 10:48 am
I have given up looking at those bus schedules on the street. Once I got the Transit Now Toronto App, I have saved myself so much time by knowing when the bus is coming. And its pretty damn accurate.
Cori / February 13, 2014 at 10:49 am
Obviously whomever conducted this study has never taken the Eglinton west bus!!! I get it they are building a subway but the treck between Yonge and Allen Road is the worst part! Which BTW is not where the construction is ...the bus actually moves faster once it passes into the construction zone!! The other day I was en route home with my son, who is healthy and 18 where as I have back and knee injuries that I am recovering from, the bus was so slow that we got off at bathurst and walked past over 10 buses just sitting in gridlock to eg west station...something needs to be done about adding more lanes or better access to the allen expressway during peak hours!
mike812 replying to a comment from chester / February 13, 2014 at 11:11 am
Agreed-it is surprisingly very accurate and real useful. Also, I take the 504 everyday from Dufferin to Bay, and what a nightmare! I got on in this morning at 730 and it was already packed by Dufferin. If you get there anytime after 8 am, you will be the last to squeeze on. There are 7 condos going up along King in the next 3 years, and they have no streetcars left. Even with those new ones rolling out, it won't make a difference. The only time I was able to get on a street car comfortably was when I was living along Roncy! Crazzzzzzzzzy
Adam d / February 13, 2014 at 11:13 am
compared to other major Canadian cities the TTC is by far the worst transit system I have ridden on.
scottd replying to a comment from Bob Smith / February 13, 2014 at 11:19 am
168 Symington was terrible but oddly since the public have been able to see the buses parked at the Rogers Road Loop service has improved. There are still unexplained delays lasting 45 minutes from time to time.

Bathurst streetcar can take an hour to go from King to Bloor---I just pretend it doesnt exist.
Michael / February 13, 2014 at 11:26 am
Maybe if we put in some bus/streetcar lanes and dedicated transit facilities, we could improve transit fairly quickly and cheaply...oh wait, our Mayor wants a subway but doesn't want to pay for it. Never mind.
Laura / February 13, 2014 at 11:28 am
The 108 bus is brutal, mostly because Maria Augimeri decided it would be a great idea to make it only come once every half an hour to make way for 108A frequency, which takes twice as many residential detours that no one ever seems to get off at.
Michael replying to a comment from 1-800-TTCGETHELP / February 13, 2014 at 11:33 am
Uhm, have you seen how much in the way of senior levels of government support the Montreal transit system gets. I think for every dollar spent on the Montreal transit system $0.35 comes from ridership (i.e. tickets, tokens, passes) and the other $0.65 comes from the government. By contrast I think the TTC gets $0.11 from government directly and $0.89 from ridership. (Someone feel free to correct me on the numbers.) But if the province doesn't help fund the TTC what you have is literally what you pay for.
Ash / February 13, 2014 at 11:53 am
People who have never taken the 160 Bathurst North, clearly...I don't think it has ever, ever come on time when I have taken it. The buses are 30 minutes apart, but it's not uncommon to see two go by at once...or to have an EMPTY bus pass you without stopping in broad daylight.
MC / February 13, 2014 at 12:17 pm
I'm so glad that we're addressing the bus and streetcar problems in this city by building a Subway instead of focusing on the high traffic routes.
Sandy Crawley / February 13, 2014 at 12:24 pm
I love the 501 Neville Park/Long Branch car. The drivers are always courteous and ofter actually raise our morale with their good humour. I often have to stand for the beginning of my trip home to Mimico but almost never on my way in in the morning. Keep up the good work!
Lavender replying to a comment from Fordfest 2k14 / February 13, 2014 at 12:51 pm
Yes, let's build subways under arterial roads like King and Queen! Sounds great. Now who's going to cough up the tens of billions of dollars? You know what I deal with while commuting on the 504 every morning? Cars PARKED along King during rush hour. Cars carrying ONE PERSON backing up several blocks of traffic up to Jameson so they can get onto the Lakeshore. Us poor bastards who are squished onto the streetcars, struggling to get to work on time, have to wait for those cars to clear out before we can move. The problem is single-occupancy vehicular traffic (excluding taxi, delivery, etc. fleets) clogging up arterial roads during rush hour. NOT buses or streetcars.
NeedaMix / February 13, 2014 at 01:39 pm
I wonder how much the supervisors cost us to stand around with notepads when all vehicles can now theoretically be tracked or co-ordinated by a kid and a computer. Gotta love unions.

Also, keep in mind the right-of-way streetcars impose a cost to other vehicular traffic. Ever try to drive or ride on St. Clair West?
SC / February 13, 2014 at 01:47 pm
Why isn't the 34 Eglinton on this this poll? Sometimes I can wait for an hr to get a bus then it would pass me by because its full. Or the send 3 buses 1 min apart then no buses for 30 to 45 mins.
tracy replying to a comment from SC / February 13, 2014 at 01:52 pm
The 54A is the same way either wait a long time or have 3 or more buses arrive at the same time
Deric / February 13, 2014 at 01:58 pm
This is really indicative to what most of us who take the TTC already know - that longer routes would be much better if they were split into two smaller sections. It would provide less congestion, more flexibility, and more frequent service with no more buses.

The issue is that people on these routes will complain that they have to transfer more often - which sucks - but if you'll get to your destination faster, we should all learn to live with it.
coby / February 13, 2014 at 03:34 pm
I have the pleasure of taking the 107 to work every day. Not only is it one of their worst performing routes, but you get to pay an additional $4 to go north of Steeles Ave. Usually I get away with dropping a token, but some inhuman bastards actually demand the extra .60c for going two stops. Have a heart drivers. That bridge is almost impassable in on foot in this weather.
stopitman replying to a comment from 1-800-TTCGETHELP / February 13, 2014 at 05:50 pm
In Montreal you're paying less for better service because the province of Quebec leeches $8,000,000,000 a year from the federation, which gets passed down through cheaper tuition, $1/day daycare, and cheaper/better transit. If Quebec ever manages to seperate, expect the Montreal transit system to crumble.

In Toronto, 50% of the TTC's operating budget USED to be funded by the province (as part of the terms of Metro Toronto forcing it to expand to the money-losing suburbs from the goldmine that was Old Toronto) until Harris killed the subsidy. Behind GO Transit, the TTC is in the top 4 or 5 least subsidised transit systems outside of Asia.
Jody / February 13, 2014 at 06:00 pm
Personally, when I am waiting for the Bathurst St bus northbound at the Bloor station and looking at the long lineups lining up for 25 minutes or more with our groceries, books, canes and kids, I feel we are all being abused. It is abusive to make old people and kids and just people in general wait for so long for public transit. I don't blame the drivers, I blame the federal and provincial governments, especially the federal goverment which takes so much more out of Ontario than it sends back, and the city, for being short-sighted. I also blame the people who whine about not wanting to pay taxes and somehow believe that they will save money by paying for things themselves and then protest when prices go up. TTC users save a lot less on tax cuts than rich people who save thousands from austerity budgets and spend it on themselves. Luxury car sales are way up. Torontonians should demand to be treated better, and then they will be.
I agree with the people who wrote to say we have the worst public transit in any large city. The streets are congested, the buses are slow, there aren't enough subway routes, and there is a perverse resistance to light rail.
On the other hand, the St Clair streetcar is great.
Lavender / February 13, 2014 at 06:03 pm
AV, what makes you think the so-called Bay/King workers are the ones clogging up King St? Did you not see my part about the Jameson ramp and the parked cars? Sounds like you have some kind of bias against a particular group of people whose activities you're merely guessing at. Next!
TTC Avoider / February 13, 2014 at 06:07 pm
These statistics can't possibly take into account the streetcars that get short turned. I rarely take the TTC, but when I do, it seems the streetcar I need just doesn't come as scheduled, or it goes the wrong way because of a short turn. Very frustrating!
Dr. Kukko / February 13, 2014 at 06:22 pm
The worst bus is the Edenbridge route. Every time it passes R-b F--d's house, the F--d children, Renata, and sometimes Mayor F--d come out and egg the bus. Dozens and dozens of dozens wasted by the fatfuckfordfamily.
Erin / February 13, 2014 at 07:54 pm
I have moved around Canada quite a bit, and one thing, I always miss, is the ttc. You have no idea how lucky you are! I LOVED the 501 Queen (accidents sucked cuz of the huge detours) and the king car was good too. Greenwood bus was sweet. (I lived at greenwood and queen) Miss it everyday!!!!!!
Melissa / February 14, 2014 at 01:40 am
The 11 bayview bus is horrible. I don't know how it didn't make it on the list. I would be at the stop waiting for the bus that supposedly comes in 5 mins and the bus would enter the Bermuda Triangle and disappear!Then the next 3 scheduled buses do the same thing. Drives me insane!!
Ryna / February 14, 2014 at 06:11 am
St Clair streetcar service is great! Other routes travelled on are definitely impacted by traffic but that's life in a big city. So, account for possible delays and factor your time accordingly :)
Joe / February 14, 2014 at 10:38 am
I used to work at King and Portland and live at Dufferin and Queen, many times I was able to walk to work and not see a Queen car going Eastbound, this was especially the case during snowy weather, nothing was nicer than seeing 6 streetcars going westbound and none going in my direction!
Lizzy / February 14, 2014 at 05:50 pm
The King and Queen streetcars are horrible.
During rush hour they just don't show up and in the middle of the night they don't show up.
boo!
Lesley-Dee Dylan / February 14, 2014 at 06:07 pm
The Bathurst 7 bus is the worst. Selfish inconsiderate and rude passengers create many problems, and put the drivers in a bad mood.
I have waited at Lawrence for a Bathurst bus, and had five pass me before one had room for a wheelchair. Then, as soon as the sixth bus crossed Lawrence, The supervisor came on the radio and told the bus to short turn at Wilson. Long waits and busses who would hop past the following stops, and then, on this same trip, the bus I caught at Wilson got the supervisor on the radio short turning him at Sheppard. And another long wait with full busses until I finally got picked up by the last one in a herd (they were ALL travelling in herds, which meant that there could be up to 40 minutes between herds). And believe it or not I got short turned again at Finch. It took over two hours to get from Lawrence to Steeles. And this was NOT RUSH HOUR, it was a Sunday evening.

Then there was the problem with the 7 bus at St. Clair. The first bus passed me, but I was not the only person at the stop, so that was fair. The next five busses were not fair, as all the passengers from the S. Clair car felt entitled to push in front of me and leave no room for a wheelchair. I was the only person left at the stop FIVE times, before I let the passengers on the bus listen to me screaming and raging at them. The driver then got on the radio, and the next bus driver made sure I got on FIRST. And it was pouring rain, and I have an electric chair. I was drenched and shivering and the chair was in danger of shorting out. And this was also NOT RUSH HOUR, it was about 7:30 on a Monday night.
If you think the Dufferin bus is bad, try Bathurst. On the Dufferin route, the passenger are polite and helpful and the drivers in a good mood. Even though it is extremely crowded, my fellow passengers make sure I get on, and I appreciate that so much you wouldn't believe.

Sean / February 15, 2014 at 01:31 pm
TTC = Take The Car
TTC driver on Bathurst 7 route / February 15, 2014 at 01:59 pm
Lesley-Dee! We pass you because of your nuclear Body Odor! Your B.O. Is the worst in TTC history!
Rosita Esgard / February 15, 2014 at 10:34 pm
501 on Queen, going east in rush hour. Worst ever! The nice thing is that the driver's are aware and are often very nice and cheerful :-)
Selene Cusping / February 16, 2014 at 09:50 am
How could the 504 route on Broadview/King/Roncesvalles have scored that high? HOW?

Clearly they don't count the 2 out of 3 streetcars on King that they turn back at the Queensway without even allowing them to go up Roncesvalles. I've watched that happen many MANY times, at different points in the day. And it's a rare occasion when a #504 streetcar doesn't get half way up Roncey and be full. So much, that I'm certain a lot of people who live part way up Roncesvalles don't bother with the streetcar because they can never get on it. Of course, that affects the ability of the elderly, people with young children and/or mobility issues to get to the subway, but clearly providing transit services is NOT the first priority of the TTC
Hogarth / February 17, 2014 at 06:54 pm
I take the 501 every day. There are lots of problems and they aren't all the TTC's. I've seen "street" people putting their filthy ass dogs on the seats, I've seen other passengers (who aren't Rob Ford) smoke crack from BIC pens, in the winter the cars are packed and nobody takes their giant backpacks off, but I'll tell you this: I never wear an earphones or read, because the trip is so damn interesting. This summer, I hope to take up jogging and give up the daily commute via street car. I wanted to love you TTC, but I'm going to have to let you go.
Hogarth / February 17, 2014 at 07:04 pm
Sorry, I should also point out that a lot of problems on the 501 ARE the TTCs. Steve Munro put it best: "'My analysis of the 501 route on May 25, 2013' illustrates a complete collapse of anything remotely resembling 'management' of the service, and is a common problem seen in analyses of other route behaviours evenings and weekends. The problems cannot be attributed just to 'traffic congestion' but show an abdication of any attempt to maintain properly spaced service."

Munro also goes on to note something I've personally experienced many times: "Despite two major delays on the Queen route on May 25, there were no TTC E-Alerts issued for these incidents or any other on the 501 for that day."
Vida / February 18, 2014 at 12:08 am
If you are taking close up pictures of small merchandise, place it in a photography light tent to ensure that
you get a nice clean, well-lit, image of your item.
The challenge you face is maintaining the patience to stick with it till you've built up a sizable following.
-___________________- replying to a comment from Lesley-Dee Dylan / February 18, 2014 at 10:07 am
Their are regular short turns on the 7 bathurst from steeles to wilson or from bathurst subway to wilson on Saturdays and Sundays. The ttc doesn't advertise this on their website because they don't get payed enough (27+ an hour) to do it and tend to keep this a secret even tho I've complained a hundred times about this.
sasf. replying to a comment from coby / February 18, 2014 at 10:08 am
ride a bike man, roads and pretty clear
hamish wilson replying to a comment from sasf. / February 18, 2014 at 11:35 am
Yes, bikes can be the better way, not the bitter way, but the City has for years avoided doing things to make it safer for bikes in the east-west direction because they MAKE MONEY from the crappy crowded core transick services that help subsidize the more suburban routes. So even the cheap, simple, near-free things like repainting Bloor St. with a subway below to help shed load from the subway - oh, let's study it (again). We're now back where we were 8 years ago...
And Richmond/Adelaide? Might be tried this summer, but with a less-good design/implementation that will be another almost design-to-fail vs. a longer-haul route to provide the option and competition to the King/Queen streetcars.
And watch out for those streetcar tracks too! Always try to take them on a good angle, and consider pulling up on the front wheel to "hop" it over the track. The City doesn't bother counting anybody who goes down either - liability???
christine replying to a comment from Ash / February 21, 2014 at 12:04 pm
191 by far the worst route, 300A too
moria / September 1, 2014 at 09:06 pm
The 129A McCowan North and 504 King is the worst.
morisdfg / September 1, 2014 at 09:06 pm
The 129A McCowan North is the worst.
michelle replying to a comment from morisdfg / September 3, 2014 at 02:14 pm
I believe it. Riding any TTC route north of Steeles is an exercise in frustration. I realize the TTC is only a contracted service up there but the off schedule headways are just maddening. 68B Warden is so bad in the afternoon.
JamesonIsCorrect replying to a comment from jameson / September 8, 2014 at 03:11 pm
What Jameson says makes perfect sense. I'd say mostly rush hour for each route. Isn't this time frame when we all actually need better and faster service anyways?