Tuesday, October 21, 2014Cloudy 10°C

House of the Week: 116 Albany Avenue

Posted by Leslie Bank / February 11, 2014

116 Albany Avenue Toronto116 Albany Avenue is a semi-detached house on a quiet Annex street doesn't stand out too much from its neighbours, but inside there are quite a few unexpected surprises. Here you'll find a mix of traditional and contemporary styles and filled with unusual design choices, from a bright stained glass bathroom window to a home office lined with built-in bookshelves. The lot is only 25 ft. wide and the layout is a bit strange and cramped -- that closed off front room might induce some mild claustrophobia -- but there is no shortage of space or storage.

The renovated kitchen and bathrooms are nice (even the dark brick backsplash) and the windows and floors strike a balance of restored and new. The house has maintained some character features including fireplaces, crown moulding and exposed brick walls. The real selling feature is bound to be the 3rd storey master bedroom retreat with access to a rooftop deck. Bland carpeting aside, the bedroom is large, the bathroom is angular and clean, and the deck is a pretty ideal warm weather escape. Plus, judging from these pictures, you can probably play the drums in the bedroom without disturbing the rest of the house, right?

116 Albany Avenue TorontoSPECS

• Address: 116 Albany Ave
  • Price: $1,499,000
  • Lot Size: 25 x 135 ft.
  • Bedrooms: 4 + 1
  • Bathrooms: 4
  • Parking: 1 space
  • Taxes: $8,861.56 (2013)
  • Walk Score: 98

116 Albany Avenue TorontoNOTABLE FEATURES

• Two large home offices
  • 3rd storey master bedroom retreat with rooftop deck
  • Custom built-in shelving
  • Fully finished basement with storage

116 Albany AvenueGOOD FOR

A buyer looking to get a foothold in the Annex who doesn't mind settling for semi-detached. At this price point you might expect a detached property, but for the right family the shared wall could be countered by the impressive deck, renovated touches and proximity to Bloor and Bathurst. The private parking space at the side of the house is especially useful considering the central location.

House of the Week 116 Albany AveMOVE ON IF

Maybe you find the retreat bathroom reminiscent of peeing at church. Or maybe the rooftop deck isn't enough and you want to add landscaping and structure to the backyard. Or maybe that tight front room just won't do, and you want to open up some walls. There are a few spots in this house that could benefit from renovations, so bear the price in mind.

MORE PHOTOSHouse of the Week 116 Albany Ave116 Albany Avenue Toronto116 Albany Avenue Toronto116 Albany Avenue Toronto116 Albany Avenue Toronto116 Albany Avenue Toronto116 Albany Avenue Toronto116 Albany Avenue Toronto116 Albany AveHouse of the Week 116 Albany Ave116 Albany Ave116 Albany AveHouse of the Week 116 Albany Ave116 Albany Ave116 Albany Ave116 Albany Ave116 Albany Ave116 Albany Ave116 Albany Ave116 Albany Ave116 Albany Ave116 Albany Ave116 Albany Avenue TorontoRead other posts in this series via our House of the Week Pinterest board.

BH / February 11, 2014 at 07:51 am
A semi for $1.5 million? Not even a new construction or rebuilt exterior? Doesn't matter what it looks like inside. That's nuts.
Dee / February 11, 2014 at 08:27 am
So jaw-droppingly beautiful! The perfect blend of cool and cozy. Even the DVDs stacked on the shelf are placed in an aesthetically pleasing manner. Haha.
Neville replying to a comment from BH / February 11, 2014 at 08:28 am
I agree, BH. I don't care about the location if I have to hear my neighbours on the other side of a party wall. (I'd bet this homeowner's neighbours aren't thrilled about the drum kit!) Also, is it a mutual driveway?
adfasgd replying to a comment from BH / February 11, 2014 at 08:33 am
@BH If you want to live in a big house, completely renovated, in a very good central area, expect to pay 1.5 million.
TJ / February 11, 2014 at 08:54 am
What happened to "Condo of the Week"?

I agree that for this area and for a semi (without a covered garage), even though its partially done, it should probably be closer to $1-1.1 mil in today's market.
PM / February 11, 2014 at 09:15 am
Throw in the multiple Star Wars models in the living room and I'll take it!
Lxpatterson / February 11, 2014 at 09:25 am
Dude likes his apple juice.
Big Fuckin Mega Boat / February 11, 2014 at 09:40 am
The rooftop patio is the seller for me. But yeah, I too would like the toys included in the price.
Rick / February 11, 2014 at 09:50 am
You know what, the house is really nice for what it is, and what the owners have done to make every inch of this place livable, i'd say they've done a great job.

But for 1.5 million I can buy a huge detached house on a huge lot in south mississauga. Yeah bring on the hate for missasausage, it's a great place to live, and its just as nice as any place in Toronto, without some trendy hipster restaurant steps away.

mo'problems / February 11, 2014 at 10:14 am
This series makes me so confused as to who BlogTO's readers are. Are we all multi-millionaires? It's sort of insane. I make a good middle class income. No way I could ever afford that house though. Feels like BlogTO sort of wants to be Architectural Digest.

And yes, before you say it, I'm jealous, I suppose. I used to rent an apartment in the Annex for about $1200 a month. It was nice. On the flipside, this place would be $75,000 down at 5%, plus a mortgage of $7495 per month at 4% p.a. (excluding the CMHC premium for the 5% down). Ummm, yeah, no thanks.
rob / February 11, 2014 at 10:15 am
Gorgeous! But drumming in a semi? Hope there is some good soundproofing.
Vicky / February 11, 2014 at 10:16 am
A 1.5 million dollar house with IKEA furniture...
Reality replying to a comment from Vicky / February 11, 2014 at 10:34 am
House rich - CA$H Poor
Christine replying to a comment from Rick / February 11, 2014 at 10:35 am
But why would you or anyone NEED a "huge house"? To show off? To create the impression that you are richer than you actually are? To run up exorbitant hydro bills?

And if being steps away from a "trendy hipster restaurant" is the only difference you can come up with between living downtown and the suburbs, then perhaps you've never actually lived downtown before???
NoThanks / February 11, 2014 at 10:50 am
Yet you cant buy your way out of that brown slush, ice, and frigid cold as soon as you step outside. I'd take my money to a better city.
canuckone / February 11, 2014 at 10:57 am
Great space - well done. I expected to find many negative comments here... also expect many of those are from people that have not owned a home let alone in the Annex or any desirable neighbourhood near downtown. This home will sell for more than the asking price. Thanks Leslie.
Can Smashed Asshole Face replying to a comment from NoThanks / February 11, 2014 at 11:01 am
Yes, because inclement weather is exclusive to Toronto.
Me replying to a comment from Reality / February 11, 2014 at 11:23 am
Im house and cash rich !!
McRib replying to a comment from Rick / February 11, 2014 at 11:41 am
you mean houses are cheaper in Mississauga than they are in the Annex?

are you some sort of real estate guru? do you give talks?
Rick replying to a comment from McRib / February 11, 2014 at 12:30 pm
The are cheaper and have less people pissing and shitting on your lawn or in your alley way. though to believe, but true. Living in Toronto is for SUCKERS
ds / February 11, 2014 at 01:16 pm
Lol master bedroom slash drumset. Wtf.
Lori / February 11, 2014 at 01:25 pm
I LOVE that house and LOVE the Annex and enjoyed living there too (I'm from Toronto). So beautiful. Could I afford it? No. Could you buy that place here in Vancouver for that price? No way. Tear downs are a million dollars here. Love your blog though and miss the homeland.
moonshake replying to a comment from Vicky / February 11, 2014 at 01:32 pm
I didn't know you could find a Le Corbusier lounge chair at Ikea. ;-) (and yes, I did see the their leather loveseat in close proximity).
arrrrgh / February 11, 2014 at 01:33 pm
guess what, he's taking the furniture with him!

which leaves you with a semi detached...
Mike / February 11, 2014 at 02:01 pm
For $1.5M, I was expecting this house to have a much nicer kitchen.
anthony replying to a comment from mo'problems / February 11, 2014 at 02:04 pm
I completely agree about the felt direction of these blog posts concerning expensive homes.
Yes! / February 11, 2014 at 02:07 pm
Love the Houses of the week. Wish you would do it more often than once a week. It's such an interesting look into the market. Calm down people, the asking price means nothing in this market anymore.

Check-Mate / February 11, 2014 at 02:17 pm
Oooooh you Toronto snobs. This is why people *work* in your city, but live 1+hrs away -- to get away from the constant judgment, pretentious opinions and negative attitudes.
Mike / February 11, 2014 at 02:41 pm
LOL no matter what people say here, I am almost positive 3/4 of the people (myself included)cannot afford this property, or many of them that BLOGTO features.
Dee / February 11, 2014 at 03:46 pm
Right.. Nobody can afford these houses. That's why they are on the market for a week or two before being scooped up at 110-120% of asking. I live about a block away from this house, and can definitively say that it's priced reasonably for the area. If you want a detached in the Annex, you're looking at closer to $2M. Also, a 25 ft wide lot is HUGE! 18 ft wide lots are luxurious in many neighbourhoods downtown.
Cleverpup replying to a comment from Rick / February 11, 2014 at 05:09 pm
My witty answer to Rick is yes, but in Mississauga, NOTHING is STEPS away. You've got to get into your car to buy milk.
Speculation replying to a comment from Dee / February 11, 2014 at 05:44 pm
Chinese Speculators... nuff said lol

And obviously 99% of Blogto readers cant afford these places, as theyre broke/in their parents basements.

These articles just allow you to "dream" / mad hits for this blog
Michelle / February 11, 2014 at 08:44 pm
Well, this house is beautiful. That storage is heavenly as is all the great natural light.
Rick replying to a comment from Cleverpup / February 12, 2014 at 09:39 am
Who cares if anything is steps away? Would a 2 min. drive kill me? So f'n what if I have to hop in my car to go anywhere? I have the space and freedom to go where ever I want without weirdos at my doorstep.

Some people on here have simply shouldnt be allowed to have an opinion.
Hazel McCallion / February 12, 2014 at 11:25 am
Rick, I don't want you steps from me in old Mississauga! I hereby ban you from Ol' Miss!
Rick / February 12, 2014 at 12:41 pm
And the patheticness of this site's commentators continues with someone portraying one of the best mayors in the history of Canada, as being as pathetic themselves.

Gloria replying to a comment from Rick / February 12, 2014 at 12:57 pm
"Would a 2 min. drive kill me?"

Actually, yeah. If it's all you do, all the time. Go running or join a gym if you drive all the time.

"So f'n what if I have to hop in my car to go anywhere?"

Having a car to drive is really nice. I rent the occasional car so I know it's great to have it when I need it. But so is walking home five minutes after a nice meal at a restaurant. Both are great luxuries.
C replying to a comment from Rick / February 12, 2014 at 03:18 pm
For most people who actually work in Toronto, I'd say making the commute from Missisauga to Toronto would make you more of a sucker.
Rick replying to a comment from Gloria / February 12, 2014 at 05:18 pm
Ahhh I see you are a vegan idiot - nevermind.
Rick replying to a comment from C / February 12, 2014 at 05:21 pm
Whats wrong with the Go Train? IT takes literally 20 mins to get to union from Port Credit. Again Toronto Idiots that have no sense of the world around them. Go protest on queens park about gmo sourced note pad paper you fool.
Hazel McCallion / February 12, 2014 at 06:33 pm
Rick is a typical dopey resident of Mississauga. He likes to sing :Let's go to the Mall, Oh baby!
Hazel McCallion / February 12, 2014 at 06:37 pm
Dopey Rick watches 6 hours of TV everyday and last read a book in high school. A noted bon vivant, he treasures his Molsons and public urination. Hey Rick:What's yer fave opera? Play? Piece of classical music? Bowling style?
bannock replying to a comment from Check-Mate / February 13, 2014 at 12:15 pm
Nahh, it's because you can't afford to live here.
Rick replying to a comment from bannock / February 13, 2014 at 03:27 pm
And most likly you cant either, poor fuck
(P)rick / February 13, 2014 at 03:35 pm
I'm bored, I 'live' in the'burbs, I'm a boob, I post about who can afford a house and I commute/masturbate a lot...that about it?
(P)rick / February 13, 2014 at 03:37 pm
"Patheticness" - a surburbanite with poor diction and poor grammar.
neil / February 13, 2014 at 06:03 pm
Lets see if I can make all of you angry at once.

In London writers. artists and journalists are household names and real estate agents and developers relatively speaking, remain nameless. In Toronto...real estate agents and developers are celebrities and writers..artists....well you get the point.

Property always seems to bring out anger and conflict in a significant segment of Torontonians. (The best are the condo versus house crowd). Most of you have valid points albeit they are basic and repetitive.

Live your life and let others live theirs and do what they want to do with the money they make or are allowed to borrow. They may lose their shirts..and they may not. Also, take some basic economics classes and you'll figure out why things cost what they do. I know its sucks for those of us on the outside, but that is the way it is.

I want you to help me understand why it so dull in this city, could that be related to your pre-occupation who owns what and who has borrowed what, how much square footage and what so and so makes. Could you lot be as passionate about books...films...politics..music, perhaps...if you could, our city wouldn't have the reputation is has.
Fuck Off Neil! / February 13, 2014 at 06:53 pm
I'm mad as rob ford!
Lucile Barker / February 16, 2014 at 10:40 pm
We have small semis in North Riverdale on 17 ft wide lots with only permit parking going for $900K. If you can get them.

This city is far from boring if you take the time to see what it offers, which is just about everything. I would rather pay a premium to live in Trawnna, especially on a streetcar line, than the biggest monster house in the 'boibs.
Ania / February 19, 2014 at 01:01 am
It's beautiful and whoever buys it is lucky to live in such a great neighbourhood and in such a great home. Yeah Toronto!
South Mississauga?! Gimme a break.....