Friday, April 18, 2014Cloudy 10°C

TTC worker gets no thanks after 31 years on the job

Posted by Staff / January 18, 2014

TTC retirement VideoWhat happens when you work for the TTC for 31 years and don't even get a thank-you or goodbye on your last day? You post this video to YouTube of course. In what has become just the latest PR nightmare for the world's favourite transit system, now-TTC retiree Ron Mitchell's 4 minute video rant calls out both the TTC union and management for "not giving a crap" about their workers - including those like him who have essentially given their life to servicing the needs of Toronto commuters.

According to The Star, the oversight isn't standard practice at the TTC but was instead just a product of miscommunication during the holidays. TTC Spokesperson Brad Ross says the TTC has already reached out to Mitchell to try to make the situation right.

Photo by Pas in the blogTO Flickr pool

1 / January 18, 2014 at 08:38 am
So he got to work at one place for 31 years, and he can afford union deals, and then he complains about gas money to drive in for his gifts? Why doesn't he take the ttc? I'm sorry but this is a sad story, but not for the reasons he thinks it is. And no wonder no one showed up me me me. You got a pension so shut up.
1 / January 18, 2014 at 08:42 am
and by deals I meant dues, but can't see straight when someone gets paid as well as he did because of the union, and then complains that he got nothing, well paid for 31 years and a pension, if that's nothing I'll take his job, and I'll even buy my own retirement gifts.
bob / January 18, 2014 at 08:46 am
why does anyone need a retirement party in the first place?
bob / January 18, 2014 at 08:48 am
A retirement party can be arranged by his friends on their off time, not by the employer to eat up work time.
v79 / January 18, 2014 at 08:56 am
So, this guy obviously finishes his shift at a time when no one else is around on several floors of a large building, and he's complaining that there was no party? This after bitching that an email already asked him to come in the next week "on his own time" to get his retirement goodies? Apparently in his mind, its much more inconvenient for his singular retired self to come in at a more opportune time than it is for everyone else to come in at a time when they're very obviously not working, just to say bye to a guy who was already taken out by coworkers the previous week. I guess the expectation of entitlements many union employees are familiar with doesn't instantly leave after their working days are done.
1 sucks...and don't Pardon my French! / January 18, 2014 at 09:24 am
1 sucks
justaguy / January 18, 2014 at 09:27 am
1, you're completely missing the point. His pension and his "perks" (if you want to call them that) are irrelevant - it's not about you and how his job might be better than yours. Bob, it's not about a stupid party. When you work your ass off with colleagues for three decades, for any company big or small, it is the commonest - COMMONEST - social courtesy to extend some type of recognition and word of appreciation. It doesn't have to be party, just some sign or gesture that your years of service are appreciated. We're not cattle working side by side, whatever the job. Every worker (whether blue or white collar) deserves a minimum of respect and acknowledgment of their contributions, especially over decades (that's somebody's LIFE). Showing consideration for others is what separates humans from animals. I take that back - animals look after each other better than most humans. Yes, his video does come across as self-centered ("me me me") - but it looks like he's earned the right to be a bit bitter over the years (and it's a moment in time on the day itself, not a feature length film - you never felt like that even once?). Maybe you're too young to appreciate the big picture now but, trust me, one day you'll get it.
Sam / January 18, 2014 at 09:50 am
I have a few employees and as an employer, I think saying thanks and goodbye is just a matter of manners. Friends saying good buy is also different than management saying goodbye. I think people need to know they were needed and appreciated that they brought value to their company. Pension is something you pay for yourself while you work and get back after, this is not a sign of appreciation. It doesn't matter how much money management spends, but it is important to take the time to say thank you. I'm sure it was an oversight but I understand why Ron felt hurt when he came in for his last day. Ron, if you are reading this, thank you for all the years of keeping the TTC running. I for one appreciated it.
mark / January 18, 2014 at 09:52 am
TTC workers are lazy, over-privledged babies, and this vid proves it. Boo hoo! You didnt get your retirement party. No ones cares man!
Brandon / January 18, 2014 at 10:44 am
I think a 6-figure salary and full pension is an acceptable "goodbye".
Kwil / January 18, 2014 at 11:39 am
It couldn't have been that bad if he stayed for 31 years!!
Fee / January 18, 2014 at 11:43 am
This guy deserves a goodbye party! 31 years serving the TTC?!?!?! They need to call in strippers, beers, cater lots of food...lol. Ok! I'm exaggerating a bit lol. Yes! He does deserve recognition. They announced it for management, why not the people at the forefront???
John / January 18, 2014 at 11:43 am
Awww poor guy :((
Jay / January 18, 2014 at 11:43 am
Underworked, overpaid, entitled little brat. Enjoy your pension and shut the hell up.
akswun / January 18, 2014 at 11:50 am
Again as Sam pointed out,
YOU PAY FOR YOUR PENSION, it isn't given to you, unless you're lucky and your employer contributes more than you put in.

Management should at least provide some type of 'goodbye' in appreciation for the time put in. It boosts moral of the other employees and shows them that Management appreciates their work.
But I'm sure majority of the negative comments are from people who work at places that turnover their employees every couple years. I wonder if Starbucks gives 10-15-20 year long service awards to its barristas?
Samuel / January 18, 2014 at 11:55 am
Man, in my entire 24 year career, I've never held down a job more than 4.5 yrs. Been permanently laid off five times (4 of them due to acquisitions, one when the economy fell off a cliff due to the bank crisis). Ended up with three separate years of unemployment during my thirties which cost me two homes and all my savings. This dude has had solid steady employment for 31 years and a pension so he can live out his retirement comfortably while I'll no doubt end up hauling my ass out to a shift at Tim Horton's at 5AM just to put food on my table. He should just be thankful for what he got. With an attitude like he's showing, it's no wonder no one showed up.
Mac / January 18, 2014 at 11:57 am
Pathetic Story Blog...what about all of the unemployed people out there or those on minimal wages who are disrespected daily and fired randomly without cause. I'm presuming this man fell into the position years ago without a great deal of effort or education. Also I'm sure this guy will get over it once he's sitting back enjoying his cushy pension that the ever escalating TTC fees are contributing too. My disabled client didn't have enough money to take the TTC to a food bank the other day, this guy can suck it up.
Chester / January 18, 2014 at 11:58 am
You guys are heartless. No wonder this generation complain about not finding work it's because you're bitter entitled people. Any decent employer regardless if they are public or private, if they are the ttc or a mechanic should honor their employees. It's a matter of respect and appreciation.
Mac / January 18, 2014 at 11:58 am
....I caught my own grammatical error, before I'm nailed to the stake - it's "to" yes I know.
Meg / January 18, 2014 at 12:09 pm
I'm a Gen Why? We aren't going to get pensions, we'll all work multiple (contracts) jobs with little to no benefits. We all joke that our CPP contributions are a joke as we'll never see it. Then we joke that 50% of us are all going to die from cancer, as we're the first generation to have a lower life expectancy then our parents. I feel sorry for Ron as this does suck, but there are people dying around the world from lack of water, women are being raped in genocide wars, species are dying at rapid rates, and Monsanto may now own nature's genetic code... Ron has a sad first world problem. I'd go to a retirement party for Ron if it was a fundraiser for any one of the millions of real problems out there in the world.
William / January 18, 2014 at 12:16 pm
To clarify, retirement parties at the TTC do not typically take place on TTC property at the end of a shift. I've been to a few of them, including that held for my father (who had 39 years with the TTC). On a person's last day, celebrations are usually limited to going out for a few beers after work with any colleagues who happen to work the same shift, at the same location.

The real shindig takes place a couple of weeks later, and is held at a banquet hall or restaurant. The TTC is a large entity with sites all over town, and someone with decades of service will have colleagues and former bosses who have transferred to other divisions or have retired themselves. The party is organized and paid for by these friends and colleagues (not the TTC), although somebody from management who knows the worker will usually show up to present a plaque and give a speech.

The disturbing thing about this video happens right at the beginning, when he accuses co-workers and management of being uncaring jerks. In short, he insults the very people he's worked with for 31 years, and then posts his complaints on YouTube! This is not the sort of behaviour that wins friends and influence people. Making friends at work over the course of three decades is your own business, not your employer's.

If this was just an innocent mix-up, then posting the YouTube video was an undeserved insult to his friends and colleagues. If it wasn't a mix-up, it says more about this man's relationship with his co-workers than anything about the TTC.
JC / January 18, 2014 at 12:18 pm
As a common courtesy, companies are supposed to say thank you to people who have worked for them for so long. But when they do not, negative points on the TTC and move on. He's done and he's received a steady income for that long, which not everyone has the privilege to have.

To rant about it and even upload a video of it for not being thrown a retirement party during the holidays stinks of a bitter, entitled and selfish brat.

@Chester you've got no idea what you're talking about. The workforce landscape then is not the same as it is now.
Louis / January 18, 2014 at 12:25 pm
Perhaps none of his co-workers like him.
Arsenal FC / January 18, 2014 at 01:02 pm
Maybe his co-workers really did not like him.
Raife / January 18, 2014 at 01:09 pm
If that is his attitude, than I would assume no one wants anything to do with him. They are probably thinking, good riddance. I feel sorry for him as he seems like he is one of those people who think the whole world is against them and miss out on all the great things that happen to them because they are so obsessed with the bad things.
Leigh / January 18, 2014 at 01:17 pm
Wow, talk about your First World problems. I just got back from Cambodia where we were meeting with an organization of people who are being hunted down by organized crime for trying to free children from sex slavery - they had just rescued a pair of 4 year old twin girls. And this goes viral. And people rant and argue in comments. *sigh*
Jeremy / January 18, 2014 at 01:32 pm
Sounds like a bitter prick. Grow up, dude. You made good money for nearly 32 years, and you're pissed because they forgot to throw you a retirement party so soon after the holidays?
Robert / January 18, 2014 at 01:33 pm
Wah, wah, wah. He should be thankful that he was able to have a job with only one place that paid a pension. The rest of us who have to make our own retirement packages have no sympathy for a guy who posts his own pity party. He talks about his 'friends' so where are they? Why are they not holding a party for this hero?

Sorry buddy but no sympathy. After 31 years and 9 months you think you would have known exactly what kind of employer you are working for and it's definitely not a touchy-feely, hugs for all the hero's who are going to retire with a monthly stipend better that many who have jobs that don't allow you to sleep on the clock.
Hina / January 18, 2014 at 02:14 pm
Maybe he was a dick and no one liked him? Boo hoo, no party, big deal!
E. Toby Coke / January 18, 2014 at 02:30 pm
It ain't any different elsewhere. At least he's got a great pension, and feels rich enough to toss out his boots.
Dr. Kukko / January 18, 2014 at 02:47 pm
All of you are dicks.
Bart / January 18, 2014 at 02:56 pm
I can't believe the guy hasn't had second thoughts about posting the boo-hoo video in the first place and removed it from YouTube. Hopefully he'll spend his retirement growing up. Either he's a dick or they forgot cake, who cares? Look at the big picture dude.
cathie / January 18, 2014 at 03:12 pm
It doesn't matter if he deserved it or didn't deserve it. The bottom line is you don't act like this. He embarrassed himself and his family. If this was my father I'd be appalled. You don't whine and make a spectacle of yourself. He was most likely overpaid, is getting a good pension and enjoyed the too-many benefits of a union job. Most people nowadays can only dream of a job like his. He should have simply gone quietly and retained some dignity.
J / January 18, 2014 at 03:52 pm
And thats why the TTC sucks, al the employees think they are somehow entitled to more than just their wages.
ICE ONE / January 18, 2014 at 04:24 pm
THIS IS WHY TTC SUBWAY TRAINS SHOULD START BEING PAINTED AKA GRAFFITI ON THEM NIGHTLY AND IF THE TTC WORKERS SEE ANY GRAFF WRITERZ IN ACTION PAINTING THEM SHOULD JUST TURN THEIR HEARDS AND PRETEND THEY NEVER SEEN EM AND LET THEM FINISH PAINTING THEM!!!!!
Malcolm / January 18, 2014 at 04:44 pm
It would be hilarious if they were planning a surprise party for him, saw his video and said fuck it and pulled the plug.
Jaykay / January 18, 2014 at 04:59 pm
I respectfully have to disagree w/some of the comments above. I don't think he necessarily feels he is entitled. He has worked hard for 31 years for the TTC and deserves some acknowledgement of his contributions. He is not asking for anything out of the ordinary.
Bart / January 18, 2014 at 06:05 pm
You're right, he likely did and does deserves acknowledgement but who walks about with a camera filming their disappointing last day and posts it on YouTube?
union / January 18, 2014 at 06:21 pm
Retirement *is* the party.
amy / January 18, 2014 at 06:51 pm
I'm sorry but a paycheck and pension is not a thank you. That's for doing your job. The contract that has been agreed upon by two parties, the employee and the employer. You put in your hours and effort, and they give you a paycheck and pension. Saying "thank you" is common courtesy. Asking someone to come back on their own time to say goodbye and give gifts, to me, is also not acceptable. If 'thank you' and 'goodbye' was genuine, it would not require an employee that has already left the company, to come back, to receive those things. Clearly, the culture of the TTC does not value their employees, at least not all on the same level.
Jason / January 18, 2014 at 07:41 pm
When I read the story I felt bad for the guy but then I watched hte video. Maybe nobody showed up for his retirement party because they were happy to see him gone. Sounds like a self-centred baby to me.
Jordan / January 18, 2014 at 07:54 pm
I think the better question is: where exactly are all the ttc folks? Was there an emergency or something the same day? There's gotta be a more rational explanation to where they all were than somehow avoiding this dude's retirement. The whole thing seems really whiny - having a steady job with good wages and a retirement plan is more than most young people today will ever get. He should really appreciate his luck in life, rather than complain about a few trinkets and a piece of cake.
Deed / January 18, 2014 at 08:55 pm
My Father retired after 31 years and it's like other commentators have stated, the party doesn't happen onsite and is not funded by the company.

The fact that this retiree is being a bitter drama queen by outing his co-workers/company, just shows that he didn't have a good relationship with them in the first place. If he did people would have made plans for him. This is also compounded by the time of year he retired (xmas holidays) and the time of day he went in.

Again I will confirm the TTC does not throw or fund the party but attends it and gives commemorative gifts. You have to have a certainly level of report with workmates (not just time served)to have them appreciate you...THAT IS HOW LIFE WORKS.

Breathing air doesn't entitle you to everything you demand! Throwing a tantrum about it certainly doesn't help either!It's your responsibility to be a good person and treat people in a way that they will want to celebrate you!
Marg / January 18, 2014 at 10:35 pm
I also think it's crazy that in 2012 there were 1,158 employees of the TTC making more than 100k. I know it's not the only cause, but man, really makes me wonder where all my token and pass $$$ is going...

Tony / January 18, 2014 at 11:29 pm
Who cares? If this guy really cared himself he wouldn't be posting videos to youtube, he'd be fighting it professionaly.
Uncle nino / January 19, 2014 at 07:20 am
Screw this union protected POS! You have a great pension, that's one of life's biggest rewards. I'm pretty sure he was one of those guys nobody liked due to his constant complaining.
Drake / January 19, 2014 at 11:31 am
A tour of a TTC building by Kermit the Frog.
asas / January 19, 2014 at 01:01 pm
blog to home of the non skilled workers how spite people for having enough sense to get a nice paying job . Sorry Ron you deserved at least a thank you from ttc and the mafia knows as a union
JR / January 19, 2014 at 01:17 pm
LOL! This is a serious case of #firstworldproblems. Next.
mario panacci / January 19, 2014 at 01:27 pm
Hey Ron,
So well done man! I was a trusted consultant for TTC in the IT department for many years. When a supervisor job came up in my area of expertise (Voice services) I applied online in 2009 and won it based on my past contributions and over 20 years telecommunications expertise. TTC had over 500 applicants for my position. After 1 year I was rated 2.5 out of 3 (performance), I won a contribution award for my leadership managing a wheel trans project and I received a great way to go 1 year thanks letter from our CIO. Sadly about a month after I joined TTC I witnessed a human rights violation between our TTC manager and a senior employee in our group. The employee is a person of colour and he opened a human rights case against the manager. For the next year nothing changed. The manager kept stressing out the employee by making project commitments the employee and his assistant couldn't meet. The manager kept the employee out of the loop attending meetings without him. This added shock to the employee once he was told about the project last minute. In June 2010 the employee who had been in and out on sick leave blind copied me (a supervisor) on an email to our management saying he was again leaving on sick leave because the manager was disrespecting his rights as a senior employee to manage is work and projects. The blind copy menat I as a TTC supervisor by law had to report that the issue I witnessed last year was not corrected. I knew how dangerous this was for me so I consulted my TTC human resources manager and he told me I had to forward my email to the TTC human rights unit representative with a full background of activity from the first violation to date. At the end of our conversation he said, "when will they learn this stuff never goes away." I don't know who "they" were but assume he was talking about TTC management teams involved in this case. Our manager was very well liked by his managers. The CIO hired him 9 year before and our manager played a real good game pretending to do everything his managers asked him. When we were in meetings with upper TTC managers our manager won't say a word and when he did it was always in support of upper managment. To us his team and reports he was the opposite and seemed to love making workload commitments we couldn't handle. He loved ignoring our emails for help with workload or budget funds needed to handle commitments he and his team had made to other divisions. Working in this team was hell for all of us that reported to this manager. So in the end about 6 months after I reported into the human rights case in Sept 2010 only 5 days after the human rights case I was involved in was closed (with a long weekend in between) I was fired for "no cause". The way my management fired me - 10 minutes notice after a long weekend marched into my CIO's (two levels above) office and told by my CIO and director (without TTC human resources or my manager in the room), I was fired and given a pass to go home. These actions left me with PTS. Attempts to have my case properly evaluated were and continue to be in vain. The lawyer I checked with said I had a case but TTC would deny, deny, deny attempting to break me down. This labour lawyer I paid almost $1500 dollars to said it would cost me $30k and many years to go after TTC. My family didn't want me spending that kind of money or taking on the added stress knowing I was already suffering badly from the PTS TTC had caused. My family and friends rightfully believed TTC was too powerful as an essential service to be forced to properly investigate my case. TTC Management all grouped together using a very astute TTC legal representative as a shield telling me I no longer worked at TTC. They all told or emailed me saying they couldn't talk to me because I was no longer a TTC employee. How convenient - they fire me with "no cause" and them say sorry buddy but we can't talk to you anymore. Isn't TTC a public company? I was isolated from my 1 employee, 2 contractor voice team and my larger IT team. My assistant with only 2 years telecommunications experience and 19 years accounts payable TTC experience was given my job and holds it to this day. It's clear she got a nice reward for helping her TTC management team. I suspect she gave evidence supporting our manager in our human rights case but I can't know because the TTC human rights unit memo I received gave no details as to why our case was closed? I wasn't even interviewed by TTC human rights unit representative which is mandatory according to TTC's policysince I was both a manager and witness to the violations. Remember as a TTC supervisor I received and passed all TTC management courses so if anyone should know the TTC respect and dignity policy it's me. I was fired in 2010 and to date TTC continues to deny any wrongdoing in my case. No one in my old work team dares say anything believing they'll also be fired for no cause and they're all afraid to loss the great wage and huge benefits TTC offers employees. My ex TTC manager told me one day that the TTC GM is a puppet contract position with no real power. He said the same is true of the elected TTC commissioners who only care about and focus on a positive TTC public image leaving employee morale and all other management issues to TTC's paid executives and their management teams. To this day I am 100% confident the employee I supported was right in his human rights violation claims against our manager. That TTC fired me 5 days after closing our case and continues to deny any wrongdoing is further proof of the violations. If TTC human rights unit properly closed the case they'd want and welcome an opportunity to share the reasons why with me and everyone else. This would be clear proof TTC management and human rights unit did nothing wrong. If I was wrong in my reporting I should have been fired on those grounds but I wasn't and TTC hasn't provided any details of this case. Oh the employee I supported has been on long term disability for mental stress ever since I was fired. How is this being fair to TTC employees or the public? TTC must change and change can only come with strong top down leadership. Look at the Catholic Church, Penn State or the boy scouts. All these organizations continued to deny they had human rights problems and all were later forced to admit they were breaking human rights laws by covering up cases of violations to protect their controlled public "image". As one of my past co-workers and friend told me recently, TTC doesn't have to change - they are too powerful. I still hold out hope TTC will change not because they have to but because they know it's the only way to move to an earned positive public and employee image of a company that is truly respectful of employee human rights. My best Mario Panacci - Past TTC supervisor.
Sylvia / January 19, 2014 at 04:14 pm
"Never look down upon someone unless you're helping them up." That being said, my father always said to me "why would you keep walking into the same building over and over when there's a big wide, world out there?". A business is a non-entity. It will never love you. Unless you're the lead dog, the view never changes! etc.
REBECCA K / January 19, 2014 at 04:47 pm
The guy should have gotten some acknowledgement for his 31 years with the TTC, it should've been a natural decision on the part of his boss, and co workers.It may not be mandatory, but it's the nice thing to do. Now having said that, Toronto sucks and that guy is damn lucky he didn't meet the fate that other ttc workers have had to. TO is a cesspool of criminals and welfare cases. Nevermind riding the red rocket...how long before the next shooting or crime happens on a ttc bus or subway? The city is going down the tubes rapidly and LOCK YOUR DOORS!! TOO MANY HOME INVASIONS!! HA HA TORONTONIANS ARE IDIOTS!!
Stephen / January 19, 2014 at 05:06 pm
My mother retired from TTC completing 27 years of service. I agree there is a lot of people that cover their laziness with the union blanket but my Mother was not one of them. I don't know any operator that makes six figures unless they work every single day for a year without a break of any kind. If you think operators are overpaid then you are dead wrong. I used to travel the queen streetcar with her because I was afraid for her safety and that was 20 years ago. She has had weapons of all sorts pulled on her and assaulted many times. Its a dangerous job at times due to the company's stand of letting patrons get away with anything they want. My point is most of this information you hear is BS. The problem is TTC, its a top heavy company, bloated by too many managers supervisors and supervisors for supervisors that don't do anything about anything. They are the ones making the large paychecks.
Hayley / January 19, 2014 at 08:29 pm
I think older people are used to a way of life they grew up in, and they don't realize that today, no one gets to keep a job that long, very few people belong to unions anymore, and rarely does anyone get thanked for any service, especially not officially.

It is a gross move on the part of the ttc to put up posters for higher ups retiring and be so thankless to someone who worked the nuts and bolts of the company, but as a rider of the ttc, I know they do their customers no favours, so I'm not exactly shocked they do their employees none either.
Mario Panacci...Longest Comment... Ever! / January 19, 2014 at 08:48 pm
Go Mario! Advice: human rights case...find another job!
Dani / January 19, 2014 at 11:03 pm
All his friggin coworkers are working as they should be! You retired NOT them. Id rather they be working serving the city then celebrating on the job....
Mikey / January 20, 2014 at 10:17 am
While I can appreciate the guy's feelings are hurt, mistakes are made and sh*t happens, ironically or otherwise, anyone who rides the TTC will tell you that. But to make a video talk'n smack about the company you worked '30 years and 9 months for', is almost more a commentary on you than the company, b/c after all, you did work there, '30 years and 9 months', so it couldn't have been all bad...?

And then maybe there is always the possibility that no one liked the guy? He didn't have a very high opinion of those around him, maybe the feeling was mutual?
Dave / January 20, 2014 at 11:30 am
Stephen, I am sure that your mother was the only hard working person at the TTC. Not!!!!
If these people were getting paid to what the private sector would dictate, we would not be paying near as much to ride the bloody system.
Talbot / January 20, 2014 at 12:23 pm
@Dave .. seriously - we should pay people by what the private sector would dictate??? You do realize that if the private sector had it's way we would all be paid $1/hr, 12 hour days without sick days or weekends and anyone could be fired on the spot without any explanation or recourse. Get yer head out of yer arse!

Trish / January 20, 2014 at 01:40 pm
I can't believe it took him almost 31 years to figure out that companies don't care about their employees. I am pretty sure that occurred to me after my first job.
tommy / January 20, 2014 at 03:37 pm
@Dave - the private sector runs the transit in York Region, and the fare is $4 dollars. So by your logic, our TTC drivers are UNDER paid...

How is it possible that so many commenters here have been brainwashed into thinking that JIT'ed workforces, casual lay-offs and poverty wages are acceptable?! You complain about not getting reliable work, but then bitch about this TTC worker's pension and perks. Once upon a time this was the norm, and workers went on strike if the rules changed. Your cognitive dissonance will be the downfall of this country.
rocci / January 20, 2014 at 03:53 pm
Kind of sad to have to leave on that kind of a note. too bad management and union didn't give a rip when it was most important to show their appr. Well congradulations on your retirement Ron..
steve / January 21, 2014 at 01:17 pm
Sounds like the dude didn't have a lot of friends
He was probably a dick, and that's why no one threw him a party
Aaron / January 22, 2014 at 06:56 pm
And life goes on...
NativeTorontonianAl / January 23, 2014 at 11:33 pm
It's simply common courtesy to mark someone's retirement and having worked there for a very long time. However, there could be the factor that he was a nasty and unliked employee. We don't know. But the main point is, it's the TTC, they have a lot of money, a lot of CHANGE, since the payment options are so lacking and outdated - heavily on the cash fare box, so they could definitely afford even a simple marking of a retirement. No excuses with all that money and high fares/costs for TTC usage. We see the money because we're the ones paying outright cash (tokens too), and at the same time, we're the very same ones seeing almost NO transit/subway continuous growth, building and expansion. They have the dough.
Mario Panacci replying to a comment from Mario Panacci...Longest Comment... Ever! / January 24, 2014 at 09:06 am
Thanks - yes spent over a year in a HRTO case against TTC - you think my comment was long - you should see the forms I had to fill out filing my HRTO case. One almost has to be a lawyer to complete the process. In my case the HRTO vice chair closed my case without considering my subjective evidence or even interviewing anyone in my team. The HRTO Vice chair did request a mandatory Form 2 (look that up if interested) from TTC human rights unit but the TTC reply (sent on the 35th day) stated TTC human rights unit needed more time to complete form 2 due to "vacations? Think about this -TTC had 35 days to complete one form and TTC's human rights unit can't do that due to "vacations". If this isn't a "dog ate my homework" reply I don't know what is. And guess what - the HRTO vice chair was okay to close my case without a TTC form 2. Is this employee justice in Ontario or Canada? Oh, as for a job - you (whatever your real name is) make the assumption I don't work - interesting.