Monday, April 21, 2014Partly Cloudy 7°C

Photos of the 2013 Toronto ice storm

Posted by Derek Flack / December 22, 2013

ice storm torontoToronto has been hit by a sweeping ice storm that has left hundreds of thousands without power, and much of the city paralyzed. Downed trees and power lines are a common sight on our streets just as streetcars have disappeared on account of frozen power lines. But along with the inconvenience and damage, the storm has brought with it some stunning scenes.

A city encased in ice is alternately beautiful and scary, and naturally people have been out in full force with cameras to capture the aftermath. Here are some of the best photos to be shared with us so far. We'll be sure to add more should the forecast high winds cause even more destruction out there.

Check out our Toronto Ice Storm gallery for more photos of the icy weather.

PHOTOS

ice storm torontoPhoto by chrisr0ch

ice storm torontoPhoto by gavcanning

ice storm torontoPhoto by ladyliscio

ice storm torontoPhoto by gizlau

ice storm torontoPhoto by leomastoras

ice storm torontoPhoto by anotherfamilyforwar

ice storm torontoPhoto by pollypocket_jojo

ice storm torontoPhoto by tristanham

ice storm torontoPhoto by kmcz89

ice storm torontoPhoto by queenwestgirl

ice storm torontoPhoto of katie_barron

ice storm torontoPhoto by wilscheung

ice storm torontoPhoto by tamalemcdonald

ice storm torontoPhoto by godo2point0

Lead photo by tilore

Weijia / December 22, 2013 at 02:49 pm
Sunny Batra / December 22, 2013 at 03:01 pm
Holy Moly!! This is the worst ice storm I have seen in years. Everyone, please be safe & drive with extra caution if you are going out.
Boucher Agathe / December 22, 2013 at 04:31 pm
Ça fait de belles photos mais aussi beaucoup de dommage...
r / December 22, 2013 at 04:43 pm
i hate my life
steve / December 22, 2013 at 05:03 pm
I've built out a crude crowd sourced app to show where the outages are, please use and share if you're w/o power

Kelly replying to a comment from steve / December 22, 2013 at 08:45 pm
That was you! Thanks for that. I posted it to Twitter a few hours ago and the reshares have been mad. I checked the source code to give you credit, but didn't see anything. Anyway, thanks again for your efforts.
Soul Sista / December 22, 2013 at 08:55 pm
Jesus is mad because we've turned Christmas into Xmas. Repent now before he sends the locusts. Satan = Satan.
Esther / December 22, 2013 at 09:26 pm
Hi Derek, the photo of the hood ornament was actually taken by estkao as credited in wilscheung's repost. Apart from that, great range of pictures you've selected.
Goosey / December 22, 2013 at 09:28 pm
Let 'em come - they'll freeze to death!!!
Dale / December 22, 2013 at 11:30 pm
Why was my comment removed? Was it because I said Derek flack would blame rob ford for this?
gucco the cliwn / December 22, 2013 at 11:59 pm
Storm Alert: Rob Ford reports Alana travels during ice storm!
don / December 23, 2013 at 12:18 am
When in moments of doubt or struggle, ask yourselfWhat would Rob Ford do?
gucco the cliwn / December 23, 2013 at 12:26 am
I hereby declare a State of Guccoemergency until election day, October 2014.
Barry Humphries in Caloundra / December 23, 2013 at 01:43 am
Just like the Christmases I used to know when I did traffic duty in 31 Div and 4 Traffic with Toronto Police.
Now retired in in 30C weather here in Queensland I somehow miss the snow and the seasons. Even wish I was back there.
Josh Kyle / December 23, 2013 at 05:25 am
this is the worst i seen since the ice storm of '98
K replying to a comment from Soul Sista / December 23, 2013 at 09:14 am
Preach Soul Sista! And have a Merry Xmas! :)
Judes replying to a comment from K / December 23, 2013 at 10:16 am
Aaaaand... trolled. lol
Brenda replying to a comment from Soul Sista / December 23, 2013 at 10:31 am
The ice storm was bad enough, but really if that is all Jesus is gonna do to make us repent cuz he's pissed off... The locusts should only be a few dozen or two. I mean c'mon even the ice storm of 1998 was worse than this. Montreal had to call in the military! Besides catholics stole the christmas tradition from pagan traditions known as yule. Relax dude.
Michael / December 23, 2013 at 10:37 am
A short video of some of the beauty left behind by the ice storm: https://vimeo.com/82532979
Roger / December 23, 2013 at 02:00 pm
I just uploaded a few of my photos from yesterday morning: http://www.rogerculman.com/icestorm
Meg / December 23, 2013 at 09:33 pm
Wonderful photography - we'll remember this Christmas for a long time!
Ricky / December 24, 2013 at 01:23 am
just wanted to share some pictures I took, the description of my album says it all..

hope everyone is safe and this brings a smile to you!

Kystien replying to a comment from Brenda / December 24, 2013 at 03:45 pm
Dude! The reason they brought in the Military was because they declared an emergency in 98. #RobFraud is playing politics with peoples lives. The military would be brought in if it was declared an emergency and provincial and federal resources would be given to assist in the clean up. Instead, People are now dieing thanks to the crackhead who is running the show.
Andrew / December 24, 2013 at 05:21 pm
I can no longer drive because my car has frozen to the ground. Literally. Also, the doors are frozen shut. Both the license plates are completely covered with ice. Icicles hang from all around the car, freezing it to the ground. What a great way to spend Christmas!
Brenda replying to a comment from Kystien / January 8, 2014 at 08:40 pm
I personally know someone that was in the military in 98 for the Montreal ice storm and it was considerably worse than what TO got. That is not to say that TO shouldn't have had a state of emergency declared. Alas you are missing the point I was trying to make. I was trying to retort to a comment made that the TO ice storm was sent from Jesus to make us all repent. I was making the point that if Jesus was going to make us repent he would have done it with something worse like the 98 storm and if that one isn't good enough to make the point that ice storm have nothing to do with Jesus shall I use the ice storm in Montreal in 2006 NO WAY anyone can say there was anything in recent history worse than that. And btw I am in a location that received the same ice storm TO got I'm only an hour and half away, I know exactly how bad that storm was. Fortunately for my area we were lucky to only be without power for 24 - 36 hrs.
Mom Tarses replying to a comment from Andrew / January 8, 2014 at 09:46 pm
You weren't hurt and lived through it. DEAL WITH IT! Jesus, what a fucking crybaby.
DanielMac / January 29, 2014 at 04:09 pm
With tree limbs bringing down fences all around the Willodale area, this TREE HOUSE remained untouched! Best Dad Ever! ;) http://www.tophousesforsaleintoronto.com/#!Toronto-Tree-House-Survives-Ice-Storm/cllt/FF8F6792-3F78-4B6D-AE16-FD1EF1B0E66F