Saturday, April 19, 2014Partly Cloudy 2°C

Dean Blundell Show suspended by 102.1 the Edge

Posted by Chris Bateman / December 13, 2013

Dean Blundell ShowThe morning shock jocks on the Dean Blundell Show have been taken off the air "effective immediately" following a series of homophobic jokes between the show's producer, Derek Welsman, and the other presenters.

In a statement, Corus Entertainment, the company that owns 102.1 the Edge, said the suspension "will allow us to review our internal practices to ensure that our programming is compliant with our station's policies, as well as community and broadcast standards."

"If anyone wants to get into the backdoor business, I can give you some tips," Welsman said. Later, after the conviction, he described the Dowholis' reaction: "When you said guilty, was he like, 'Hot diggity dog! Everybody dance now?' When he phoned home, 'Good news, Mom ... I'm going straight to the showers.'"

A Toronto Star story earlier this week exposed the situation.

Earlier this week, Dean Blundell issued an audio apology for the behaviour. "We both made rude, homophobic, and inappropriate remarks, which were offensive and unacceptable. We offended a lot of listeners, our families, and our friends," he said.

"Those conversations were not entertaining. They were plain and simply wrong. For this I sincerely apologize."

The judge in the case has declined to order an inquiry, though Kathryn Wells, lawyer for the convicted man, is planning an appeal. In the meantime, Blundell and company are off the air. Will it be for good?

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

Ash / December 13, 2013 at 08:39 am
He was still on the air? As someone who listened to this station off an on throughout the past couple of decades (yes I am that old) I've got to say; its going down in flames. The music choices, the on-air personalities, all just getting worse and worse. The final nail in the coffin came when 88.1 gave people a decent alternative for alt rock & indie.

Perhaps 102 should wake up to the fact that "shock jocks" are no longer relevant nor is that same horrid mix of completely overplayed 90s rock with horrendous can-con crap (we have good Canadian bands, don't get me wrong, but Three Days Grace and the Trews are not among them)
Mike / December 13, 2013 at 08:55 am
^^^ Couldn't agree more. The station has gone completely downhill since 2009-2010ish, mainly due to it's ever-increasing terrible music choices. Unless they pick up their game, 88.1 will crush them
K. C. / December 13, 2013 at 09:08 am
I don't get it. They didn't make fun of homosexuals, but a person who is homosexual. There is a big difference.
Nobody suspends a show, if the moderator makes a joke with a sexual reference to a straight person - all of a sudden it's not ok, if the target of the joke is homosexual?
Same rights, but not the same treatment, or what's the consensus here?
Dan / December 13, 2013 at 09:08 am
Stop listening if you don't like. For fack! Some people think it's funny
Jon / December 13, 2013 at 09:11 am
Agree with @Ash. 102.1 sold out to corporate music choices, choosing to ignore what made the station popular. The Edge certainly has no edge.
Valerie / December 13, 2013 at 09:13 am
Thank goodness! I used to love that station and the music they used to play but I CANNOT stand their morning show... The hosts are pigs (and the woman they've added is just a fool chiming along with them). It is consistently BEYOND offensive. Glad to hear they're finally facing some repercussions for their disgusting actions.
JEB / December 13, 2013 at 09:14 am
Music choices aside (which have been properly addressed above), I couldn't be happier to see Dean Blundell and his unprofessional staff get their hands slapped for this type of behaviour. Please, get this show off the air permanently!

Dean Blundell is not only a source of regular homophobic, sexist and racist commentary, he is also a complete hypocrite who will climb up on his soapbox when he sees fit to chastise others doing the same things he does on the daily.

It's disgusting when people like him are given such powerful and public positions and I cannot believe 102.1 has let this poor excuse for a human represent their station for so long. What are they thinking??
Mark Moore / December 13, 2013 at 09:21 am

Wish I knew this sooner. Might have listened this morning.
My problem is the incessant talking. I flip around, everyone does, looking for music. And more and more all I was hearing was Dean.
Very full of himself and it seemed like he didn`t care.
Checking out a lot of 88.1 and CBC 2, which has no commercials.
DR / December 13, 2013 at 09:23 am
I wonder if Chorus is starting to revisit their (alleged) decisions to fire Jason and Todd to appease Dean.

Completely agree with the comments above on Indie 88.1. There really is no need to listen to 102.1 anymore.
Alex / December 13, 2013 at 09:30 am
Hope this means they replace the morning show, play a lot more music in the morning, and a lot BETTER music. For two days in a row they were making fun of this lady that got super glued to a toilet seat. Even though it's a horrible thing to happen I can see how they would find it funny, but going over it for two days? How can you have so little material? I do find Dean's Rob Ford voice hilarious though, it's like a fatter Cartman.
swen / December 13, 2013 at 09:31 am
Same network is responsible from removing even bigger Shock-Jock Howard Stern.And today everyone is easily offended, but using broadcasting powers to offend even larger audience is not cool.
swen / December 13, 2013 at 09:31 am
Ed Ball / December 13, 2013 at 09:33 am
Dean Blundell is such a waist of air time. It's like leaving your car running in a parking lot.
Why don't they get rid of him or let him host overnight when everyone is sleeping.
Simon Tarses / December 13, 2013 at 09:37 am
It's time that both stations owned by Corus (The Edge & Q107) be killed off and sent to the trash heap of history, to be replaced by two stations playing contemporary rock and EDM. Both were great in their day, but both of them are crap now, and need to die painful deaths. We need NEW radio stations playing NEW music, and the more like Indie 88.1, the better.

Sad how CKLN could be kicked off of the air for so-called 'infractions', but not these two shitty stations.
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from DR / December 13, 2013 at 09:39 am
I wonder if Corus even regrets firing Martin Streek in favor of assholes like Dean Blundell in the first place?
Jon replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / December 13, 2013 at 09:41 am
Poor Martin. So sad.
JMB replying to a comment from Ash / December 13, 2013 at 09:42 am
^ @ASH - totally with you - 102.1 really lots its "edge" when Allan Cross was let go, and 88.1 has filled that void just fine in my mind. I want indie music, not jock shlock.
Patrick / December 13, 2013 at 09:46 am
good riddance. i hope it's for good. blundell is such a scumbag.
jdot / December 13, 2013 at 09:46 am
I don't understand why all of you complaining about the content of the Dean Blundell show. If you don't like what your hearing, it is really quite simple don't listen. But yet you do and then go online to compain about it in detail!!! WTF!!
AJ / December 13, 2013 at 09:49 am
I feel bad for Derek, initially it seemed like he didn't want to discuss the case but Dean egged him on.
J / December 13, 2013 at 09:53 am
He was racist/ sexist/ every kind of -ist there is, he'd just try to cover it up every now and then with a half assed PC act. I could never really listen to the show for more than 10/ 15 min because of the way he and the other personalities would degrade women or make fun of mentally challenged people or the slew of other 'funny' things they used to do. Call me overly sensitive, but I don't find making fun of other people funny. It's just a crutch people without an actual sense of humour use to get a superficial laugh. I won't miss them.
Mr Man / December 13, 2013 at 09:54 am
I gave up on Dean Blundell the day I met him. I once picked up a prize pack at the Edge's old street studio on Yonge, and was treated to the spectacle of him swearing loudly and aggressively at a clearly aggravated and uncomfortable producer. It was off the air, but still--he was behaving like an unprofessional asshat.

And I gave up on Corus Entertainment altogether the day I realized that Alan Cross no longer had a job with Corus, but Dean Blundell did. That tells you everything you need to know about that company.
Jackson / December 13, 2013 at 09:55 am
Will Dean also be apologizing for the other countless homophobic and misogynist comments he's made almost every day since he's been on the air? Oh and another thing Dean Blundell and his gang of idiots aren't funny, why don't they get some clever people to replace him?
Kid S / December 13, 2013 at 09:56 am
Finally! This man and his stupid friends appeal to the lowest common denominator in the country. And his taste in music sucks! This was a long time coming.
rawwb / December 13, 2013 at 09:57 am
Dean is probably a really racist and homophobic human being. Although he sometimes is funny, he takes things too far. Its about time someone told him he should calm the fuck down, he is being offensive as fuck
Jackson replying to a comment from jdot / December 13, 2013 at 09:59 am
I don't think anyone here does listen to him, and they don't listen to him because they don't like him. Because they don't like him they are gratified to see him fail and get taken off the air.
Bob But Not Doug / December 13, 2013 at 10:02 am
People still voluntarily listen to commercial radio?

THE MORE YOU KNOW
Dan / December 13, 2013 at 10:05 am
I think people get offended far too easily nowadays. The comments he made weren't homophobic at all just some dark-gay humor. It would have been different if he openly stated some resentment towards gays but in reality, all he made was a joke. Now i understand he's a public figure (in some regard) and does have some social responsibility because he's on radio, but "The Dean Blundell Show" has always been offensive; why are people so surprised now? He should really just leave the show and start a new podcast (or concentrate on developing the current one). The general public takes life too seriously for this kind of show to on public radio.
Rick / December 13, 2013 at 10:10 am
The nail in the coffin was when they let go Todd Shaprio. The combo of the 2 was something that you'll never hear again. I think with a newer direction they could have stayed together and reclaimed the top morning spot for their targeted demo.

I heard the station this morning with the stand in guy, and let me tell you the music was much better and the flow was much more natural.

The Dean Blundel Show is dead. Fire his ass.
jen / December 13, 2013 at 10:11 am
I used to work for one of divisions in Corus Entertainment and I can tell you, as an artist, it is a horrible, soul-sucking place to be employed. They are corporate jerks with no vision whatsoever and I'm so glad I got out of there. All they care about is the almighty dollar and they don't care how they get it. They only suspended Blundell's show once the media kicked up a public fuss and it threatened their ad revenue, not out of any sense of decency.

Indie 88.1 and internet public radio stations are what I listen to now. The CFNY days are long gone.
Mr Man / December 13, 2013 at 10:13 am
Remember, though, that Blundell has been suspended before. Remember the Jackass incident in 2004, where Steve-O took a gigantic whiz all over the Edge studio floor and Blundell refused to cut the interview? Yeah, that cost Blundell and his crew exactly one day's pay. I have seen people in my line of work get gassed for much, much less.

We'll see if Corus has the stones to make this a more permanent change this time around.
Jamie replying to a comment from Dan / December 13, 2013 at 10:26 am
The problem is that he made the joke using a homophobic stereotype. It's no different from making a joke about black people using another stereotype. That would certainly come off as racist, right? So how is this not homophobic?

KA / December 13, 2013 at 10:27 am
To all the people saying "if you don't like it then don't listen", you're missing the bigger point here. It is not just that they made homophobic remarks (which is obviously bad), it is the fact that Derek was a juror in a case involving a homesexual man accused of sexual assault and discussed it on the air. One, jurors are not supposed to talk about a trial while it is going on, or after, or talk about their decision making process AT ALL. Two, jurors are supposed to be unbiased in their decisions, and juror bias can actually be cause for an appeal. Making these comments on the air shows some definite bias towards gay people and means that his impartiality in deciding the case should be questioned. Basically, Derek is now being accused of letting his bias towards gay people impact his decision as a jury member, which led to the accused being sent to jail. This is beyond entertainmnet value, this is someone's life, and shows no respect to the judicial system at all.
Matt / December 13, 2013 at 10:27 am
The Edge has been bleeding share points for a while now. There's a wealth of talented announcers in this country who would still be able to cater to that demographic without costing the stations millions in lawyer fees. They had better have the stones to pull him for good because the CRTC isn't beyond pulling the plug on them! I also used to be a listener and I actually like dirty humor. Dean Blundell completely lacks any redeeming qualities. If you're going to be the 'dick' on the air, you need someone else to balance it. I thought Todd was great as the nice guy and I stopped listening to the show cold when he got pulled. But hey, I'm not their demographic so who cares what I think.
Matt replying to a comment from Rick / December 13, 2013 at 10:29 am
Couldn't agree more, Todd was the only reason to listen to them in the first place.
Rob / December 13, 2013 at 10:31 am
CFNY/102.1/The Edge is dead. Has been for some time now. They got rid of, or lost everyone who made that station worthwhile listening to.

Thank God for 88.1. So nice to hear Bookie back on the air...
Steven / December 13, 2013 at 10:34 am
Great news!
Friday / December 13, 2013 at 10:41 am
I dont mind Dean, However - what i do dislike on the morning show is the constant commercials combined with huge music sections. No other morning show plays nearly as much music /commercials as they do... When im on my commute in the morning, Id prefer to hear the banter.
K. C. replying to a comment from Dan / December 13, 2013 at 10:44 am
I agree. People do get offended quite easily these days. Everybody and everything has to be politically correct, which is a contradiction in terms, since politicians are the biggest sleazebags of all.
Also, no matter what somebody says, there is at least one person who's offended by it.
Borte / December 13, 2013 at 10:45 am
You would get a sense from listening to The Dean Blundell Show over the past eighteen months that Dean was a miserable prick, genuinely unhappy and regularly digging at his co-hosts because of his sorrow. I hope he's gone for good and someone worthy of the job joins Billie Holliday.
Shirley / December 13, 2013 at 10:45 am
Simon Tares-I LOVED Streek. I was listening to one of Martins' last shows, and he had commented that the TPS weren't doing their jobs allowing all the guns and gangs on our street. Next thing I hear he is deceased from suspicious cause. Did anyone ever hear any confirmation as to what happened to him? You have no idea how much I miss this guy.
Lindz / December 13, 2013 at 10:47 am
I say good riddance. The Edge has been going downhill for years. Indie 88 is where it is at.
Sam / December 13, 2013 at 10:51 am
Im glad to hear it, I only hope it sticks. I have listened to the edge for most of my life and its just become unbearable in recent years. If it isnt the awful music choices throughout the day, its the AWFUL morning show. I stopped listening to the DBS a few years ago, its crude and offers absolutely no entertainment. Its the same tripe every day - bros calling in to brag about their sex-capades, the hosts mocking pretty much everyone who walks or breathes that they dont like, and a ditzy old psychic. It is mind numbing and Im pretty sure it may lower your IQ just listening to it on a regular basis.
mvb / December 13, 2013 at 10:53 am
A shame but not really a surprise, see what happens when you try too hard? Where has the Spirit of Radio gone ...
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from Mr Man / December 13, 2013 at 10:58 am
Hundreds of dollars and an insincere, half-hearted bullshit laden money-talks-sincerity-walks 'apology' is all that we'll be seeing from Corus over this, most likely. As I said above, it would be better for this station to die and go away, and take its corporate sibling Q107 with it-the stink of the incident in question is too overpowering for it to continue as is. A change of format similar to Indie 88.1 for both (one dealing with current rock, the other with something like EDM) would do a world of wonders-there already are 3 or 4 oldies stations in Toronto anyway.
Shrilly replying to a comment from Shirley / December 13, 2013 at 11:02 am
Yeah, he killed himself. No "suspicious cause" about it.

And he wasn't that much more of a nice guy than Blundell or anyone else. He had a girlfriend AND a fiancée on the go for quite a long time, until the former happened to meet the latter and asked "So, how do you know Marty?".
LavenderBlume / December 13, 2013 at 11:02 am
I remember angrily tweeting Blundell quite a while ago over his characterization of Gord Perks as having "gay wavy hair". People like Blundell will keep saying what they know are ignorant things until someone shuts them up. It's about time.
Z / December 13, 2013 at 11:05 am
I applaud the decision makers for taking this seriously. Not only did this bozo producer cross the line by talking about the case, but the jokes about violence towards men is deplorable and disgusting. So now it's hilarious to joke around about violence against men because we're tough and we're guys right? And homosexuals, well, they like that stuff, right? Now flip it around. If they made even the slightest remarks like that about violence towards women, they would be all fired and the show would be shutdown for good.
Dr. Thinkwell / December 13, 2013 at 11:07 am
What ever happened to Freedom of Speech? That's the WHOLE point of Freedom of Speech ! When we use it Correctly, then why should anyone Be offended !! Being a Shock Jock has nothing to do with it !! WE CAN ALL CALL PRIME MINISTER HARPER WHATEVER WE WISH, AND NOTHING HAPPENS !! That occurs on Jay Leno every night !! Or are we getting our "feelings" mixed up with the fact that anyone can say anything until some asshole gets offended !! GIVE ME A BREAK !! Correct your thinking and the rest of Life falls into place. Simple. The question is will you? Any of you !? Nothing ever changes of New years Day because ALL our thinking has not changed, and here we go again camper's !! Just follow the Bouncing Ball !
PL / December 13, 2013 at 11:07 am
Bring back Humble and Fred!
Oh, the good old days.
Moneesha / December 13, 2013 at 11:14 am
Gay people. So easily offended yet so offensive.
Bobo / December 13, 2013 at 11:14 am
After Corus took over the Edge, they summarily dismissed Martin Streek, a great guy who made an important contribution to music and the city of Toronto. He had worked his way up through the ranks to become one of Toronto's most loved personalities. Soon after being cut, he took his own life.

Meanwhile, they run this shit-show for years. This misogynistic, infantile, unfunny idiot-fest. After listening to the Edge throughout my teens and twenties, it was these buffoons that turned me off completely. I hope they stay gone - let them do a podcast for pubescent 12 year old boys or something.
Bobo replying to a comment from Dr. Thinkwell / December 13, 2013 at 11:16 am
@ Dr. Thinkwell - look to the US if you want your definition of Freedom of Speech to include being a hateful a-hole. In Canada, we add a little common sense and decency to the Freedom of Speech thing.
Mic replying to a comment from Dr. Thinkwell / December 13, 2013 at 11:28 am
You do realize we don't have absolute free speech, right? Even the US doesn't. And doesn't this possibly allow the convicted person to try for an appeal because his legal team can claim that at least one juror lied/was biased?
Dea / December 13, 2013 at 11:28 am
I've said it before, i'll say it again, people are way to sensitive these days.. you can say the most innocent thing and it can be taken the wrong way by ANYONE.. like the news story where a little boy was suspended from school (6 years old) for kissing a girl on the hand and cheek and "sexual harassment" was put on his school record (later removed) but the fact of the matter is.. people need to relax.. have a drink.. smoke a joint.. i don't know.. but just take everything down on the crazy "i'm offended" scale by about 5 million.
Bobo / December 13, 2013 at 11:31 am
In response to many of the comments above, I seriously hope some Corus brass are reading. How do these corporate robots not understand anything. They had legendary talent on the station, with loyal fans and they let them all go one by one. Streek, Cross, Bookie ...

One of the worst things Canadian corporate goons do is try to be a lame copy of what's happening south of the border. So the edge now has a BS "shock jock" show that is devoid of humour, and music that is programmed by some algorithm.

Hey Corus execs: go S a B of Ds.
Bennett / December 13, 2013 at 11:38 am
Nice one, Corus, for finally realizing that spreading homophobia is wrong and bullying shock jocks are over.

Disgusted replying to a comment from K. C. / December 13, 2013 at 11:39 am
I imagine the consensus is that you don't have a clue. To you and all the other people here who "don't get it" (unless they are all the same person), THE MAN WAS IN A JURY. In fact he was the JURY FOREMAN. DO you know what a jury is? I am speechless at your theory that making fun of "one homosexual" is not the same as making fun of all homosexuals. You are correct when you say you "don't get it".

Gnarlk replying to a comment from Moneesha / December 13, 2013 at 11:42 am
Moneesha, so eager to be a putz and so stupid.
Monika replying to a comment from Dr. Thinkwell / December 13, 2013 at 11:43 am
@ Dr. Thinkwell ... it's not so much about gays being offended as it is about discussing a trial that was still actively in session. As a juror you are not allowed to discuss the details or your opinions outside of court.
iHighscraper replying to a comment from Gnarlk / December 13, 2013 at 11:49 am
Now that is the definition of the pot calling the kettle black!! rotfl
Brit / December 13, 2013 at 11:54 am
This is absolutely ridiculous! Why are well all now so worried about "offending" someone's race, sexuality, gender, disabilities, it's gotten to the point where it's not even appropriate to make a little joke remotely related to those topics anymore. The Dean Blundell show did not slander homosexuality, or make any comments against being a homosexual person. They made a joke about Dowholis directly. Just like they do with Mayor Ford, Miley Cyrus, and Drake. It was funny, it was not offensive. The Dean Blundell show is there for entertainment, making real life happenings light and fun rather than just leaving them as mundane facts. They have thousands of listeners who support their content - the one or two who take offence, need to turn off the radio, instead of looking for something to complain about. That's what their 'listen with discretion' warnings are for. Why does Corus Entertainment have to immediately act on the one or two complaints rather than focusing on the positive - how many people really enjoy the show from day to day. What ever happened to the freedom of speech? I would be devastated if the show was cancelled, and all that was left for radio entertainment, is pathetic PG small talk reminding me I'm stuck in traffic, followed by an update on Kim Kardashians fluctuating weight.
gnarlk replying to a comment from iHighscraper / December 13, 2013 at 11:56 am
yeah it is! bwa hahahaha! whoooo!
Big D / December 13, 2013 at 12:00 pm
I'd rather listen to 680 news than Dean Blundell. Billy should stay, Dean should go.
K. C. replying to a comment from Disgusted / December 13, 2013 at 12:05 pm
I know what a jury is. According to this article he made those comments AFTER the deiberations were concluded.

Do you understand what AFTER means?

So, if some chick makes a remark about a black dick, she's a racist in your opinion. Get a life!
Homosexuals do like anal sex, do they not? So what the f did he say, what was wrong?
Cyril Sneer / December 13, 2013 at 12:05 pm
I don't really have any issue with the offensive nature of his comments, but only the fact that the guy, and the show, is completely devoid of humour. Its just him ranting and raving with no actual joke or comedic value present.
CarCar / December 13, 2013 at 12:06 pm
Stopped listening to the morning show when i got sirius radio a couple years ago and started listening to Stern... and then realized the only funny buts of the dean blundell show were bits stolen from howard's morning show.
When i do listen to the radio its 88.1.
Brit replying to a comment from K. C. / December 13, 2013 at 12:21 pm
A vast majority of straight people like Anal - i think the fact he's gay is just a fact. That simple.
Ryan / December 13, 2013 at 12:32 pm
Good riddance to hate-spouting trash. Maybe now they'll do something about the corporate rock.
K. C. replying to a comment from Brit / December 13, 2013 at 12:39 pm
True, I was just trying to make a point by overstating the fact.

I wanted an answer from this @disgusted person. He or she should tell me what was wrong with the statement the show host made.
On the other side it was more of a rhetorical question, because everybody with an IQ higher than 60 will undertand that there are differences between jokes, stereotypes, facts, insults, and harassment.
Doug But Not Bob replying to a comment from Bob But Not Doug / December 13, 2013 at 12:46 pm
Yes they still do.
To the tune of $55 million in profit (for Corus) last year.
human / December 13, 2013 at 12:51 pm
What's with all this indie 88.1 love? That station is just as bad as the edge. How many times a day do we really need to hear of monsters and men, or vampire weekend? I don't like the edge, but don't say 88.1 is any better. It's not.
COdy replying to a comment from K. C. / December 13, 2013 at 12:54 pm
Sexual assault isn't funny and saying that someone should enjoy being raped because they're gay is wrong.

Clearly your IQ is below 60 because you can't understand the problem here. Sadly, simple minds are easily amused.
iHighscraper replying to a comment from K. C. / December 13, 2013 at 12:54 pm
Only Queers and other special interest deviants are allowed to make comments like that.
nj replying to a comment from K. C. / December 13, 2013 at 01:01 pm
The law requires any juror to not speak of the case, jury deliberations or personal observations before or after the case. What the show did is grounds for a mistrial on two counts. They had the juror break a legal oath to not speak of the trial and instead, aired it on public radio. They also coerced him into a conversation where the juror exposed his bias toward the sexual preference of the accused, which compromises the decision made and allows the defense to appeal the decision.
Personally, I was a fan of The Edge growing up, and listened to it up until a couple of years ago, because frankly it just was not the music I wanted to listen to and the hosts' don't interest me. The Dean Blundell show does have it's fans, one of them being my husband, who does love the humour they air, and is an avid listener. While I don't particularly find Dean Blundell entertaining, ( I do agree I think he seems to have gotten very dark and miserable and, let's be honest, has bullied many callers) I don't believe the opinions expressed on the show are what got him suspended, rather the threat of legal action against Corus Entertainment.
K. C. replying to a comment from COdy / December 13, 2013 at 01:01 pm
You still don't get my point. And, btw. you are not reading what I write, but implying, interpreting, and putting words in my mouth.
Oops, am I lucky that you are not putting anything else in my mouth.
K. C. replying to a comment from nj / December 13, 2013 at 01:13 pm
I have never listened to the show, so I cannot state my opinion about the quality of it.

I understand that you can't discuss an ongoing trial, but does this also apply to after the trial - when the defendent has already been acquitted or convicted?

In any case, in the article above there is no text or statement which describes the deliberation process and/or how the jury came to their verdict, so he didn't break any oath.
Mr Man / December 13, 2013 at 01:19 pm
Well....didn't THIS comment board just degenerate into exactly the troll-fest shit-show that I expected it would become?

The producer of this show, who was a jury foreman, did something that was at the very least unethical and quite possibly illegal.

The other participants in the show, Blundell included, made jokes about sexual assault that were off-the-charts not funny. I'm not suggesting that Blundell and company did anything illegal. I'm just appealing to common decency, and hoping that people will recognize that victims of violent crime should perhaps be accorded more respect than that.

To those of you who cry: "Hey, no big deal, it was a joke, people get offended too easily": I sure hope that neither you nor anyone you ever love is sexually assaulted.

Because if that ever happens, you'll be pissed as hell if someone treats you or your loved one like a fucking punchline.
Erik / December 13, 2013 at 01:20 pm
You people need to lighten up and get a sense of humour. It's a joke and jokes are funny. Do you want to hear my joke about the guy with AIDS that died by getting hit by a bus?
nj replying to a comment from K. C. / December 13, 2013 at 01:21 pm
I took a few journalism courses about a decade ago, and I'm unsure as to what has happened since then, but back then we were told that interviewing jurors is a big no no because of that law. There's a reason you don't see jurors being interviews post-trial.
102.1 musiclover / December 13, 2013 at 01:26 pm
i've been listening to edge since 1986. but the morning show is complete garbage. they've been spreading the morning hate for over 10 years now. funny how they can make fun of immigrants, women rape jokes, blacks and jews but when they make fun of hom0sexuals it's game over.
DPK / December 13, 2013 at 01:33 pm
Opie & Anthony is still on air! Although its SiriusXM, the DBS has been ruined by its self-centered idiot host. Plus that hole they brought on doesn't make anything better. O&A! O&A! O&A!
Mr Man replying to a comment from 102.1 musiclover / December 13, 2013 at 01:35 pm
102.1 musiclover, I agree with you to a point. There was more than enough reason to turf out the garbage a long time ago, and I agree that (assuming that Blundell doesn't come back) this is years overdue.

I think it is important to recognize what really tipped the scales here, though: some potentially very serious legal trouble for Corus because a jury foreman may have jeopardized a very serious criminal trial thanks to the show's antics. It is that particular legal issue, and not the hate-filled comments, that has landed Blundell in hot water.

I'm not arguing that that speaks well of Corus, and I would have been much happier to see Blundell get his comeuppance years ago for different reasons. I just think it is important to recognize what the real driver here is.
Alex / December 13, 2013 at 01:39 pm
Wow, reading comprehension people. This is about a possible mistrial being declared and someone who sexually assaulted people being let go because they talked about it on air. You'd be pissed too if someone you knew was sexually assaulted and the person convicted of it was let go because a juror made jokes about the assault on air. The jokes themselves should have been bad enough to get him suspended. What's next? Talking about how funny it is when someone gets murdered?
HR / December 13, 2013 at 01:51 pm
There seems to be a person here who doesn't understand the gravity of a jury foreman behaving this way, and clearly does not want to understand it. I guess it is simpler and easier to boil it down to "Political Incorrectness". Not worth it even bothering to try and explain this extremely simple concept as apparently it is too hard to grasp for some.
Lydia replying to a comment from Ash / December 13, 2013 at 02:12 pm
Honestly, I stopped listening to the Dean Blundell Show years ago, because of it's repeated misogynist commentary, to the point of making rape apologist jokes on the air repeatedly in the early/mid 2000s. I actually stopped listening to the station all together after I realized that this was completely acceptable behavior to the broadcasters, which even back then included some homophobic commentary as well. I really think that if it wasn't for the Toronto Star that broke the story this week, it would have been kept on the air. Once again the Star has gone out of its way to denounce the bullshit that happens in the city. Big ups to them!
Shaun replying to a comment from Ash / December 13, 2013 at 02:32 pm
You are wrong on ALL counts.
If it weren't for entertaining DJ's, NO radio station would last.
When ANYONE can get ANYTHING off the internet for free, who cares what station is playing what music??
Sure the edge can get repetitive, but what station isn't?
The ONLY thing keeping people listening to the edge is the DJ's. ESPECIALLY the so called "shock jock" Dean Blundell.
What exactly is "shocking" about what he says??
He cracks jokes about things that happen in the world.
Then some ridiculously politically correct moran get his panties in a twist when they use the words "butt" or "poop."
Radio is falling victim to the loss of freedom of speech.
Just one more thing to add to the list.

Good luck with your dull as shit 88.1
OhNOEStheFBI / December 13, 2013 at 02:54 pm
Hilarious stuff!
Jacob replying to a comment from Shaun / December 13, 2013 at 03:01 pm
I listen to radio mainly for the music. Not to listen to some miserable jerk compensate for his inner demons by barking hate to equally miserable listeners.
D-Fletch / December 13, 2013 at 03:34 pm
I have been a listener of CFNY for the last 25 years. Music changes and people change. I actually enjoy listening to Blundell on a morning. I don't think anyone likes to be the butt end if a joke. That being said... If the content of this show offends some insucure or doogooding listeners then fuck off and change the station! Tell it how it is Dean!!!!
MOE / December 13, 2013 at 03:37 pm
Wow...everyone loves to hate don't they..Lighten up people!
Humble / December 13, 2013 at 03:45 pm
Good, The Edge has sucked since they kicked off Humble and Fred.
Mike / December 13, 2013 at 04:05 pm
The time has come for Blundell to be silenced permanently.

Surely, you all can tell how forced his words are and how stupid he tries to be to get a reaction from people? If he was a comedian he would be booed off the stage!

Blundell became irrelevant a long time ago!

@D-Fletch: You're an IDIOT!

J / December 13, 2013 at 04:34 pm
I agree some of the music needs improvement and yes some comments may offend some listeners but people have the choice not to listen. The only matter that bothers me is the constant bashing of Rob Ford, if you want to comment on his work ethics and his image in the publics eye is one thing , but the personal comments on his health well bein and physical appearance is nothing short of straight up bullying . We preach about bulking in the work place schools in homes ect yet we allow on air bullying and seem to support it. Nobody seems to care about that only if someone offends I'm a racial or homophobic manner
Scoop / December 13, 2013 at 04:52 pm
The only person I'll be missing is Nikki
rick / December 13, 2013 at 05:04 pm
I am new here in the GTA area, been here 4 years, I have to say I have read a lot of other comments and agree/disagree with most of you. Yes the Dean Blundell show is offensive and yes what was said is not right. But on the other hand I really enjoy portions of the show. I do have to say that the music is terrible and over played for sure not just by the morning show but all programs. I enjoy to the funny stories and weird news portions. The games that he plays are fantastic. I used to love satellite radio because there was no commercials. It gets boring after a while not hearing a human voice one and while instead of music. I think that if they let him back onto the air they have to have guide lines on how the show will run. And I swear if I hear another thing about the Mayor I am taking my listening ears somewhere else.
Chadley / December 13, 2013 at 05:04 pm
Lighten up people. The show is funny. Although, I agree the music does suck. At least he isn't afraid to speak his mind. I wish more people were that honest.
Sam I Am / December 13, 2013 at 05:09 pm
It's about time. Dean Blundell is a waste of skin. He's an embarrassment to the city of Toronto. I've never met the man, nor do I care too and I hate to be judgemental, but he should have been fired along time ago. Not sure who's running the show at Corus, but whoever it is needs to give their head a shake. You've let go of some talented people and kept this douche far too long. Hopefully it's a permanent layoff.
Cate / December 13, 2013 at 05:35 pm
Regardless of whether you find the remarks offensive, there is still the issue of a jury foreman discussing a case he was involved in on the air. And because the jokes were homophobic in nature, it comprises his statement to the court that he had no bias against homosexuals.

Here's a far more offensive joke Blundell made about the trial (from the Toronto Star www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/12/12/dean_blundell_show_apologizes_for_homophobic_juror_jokes.html)

"In one instance, host Blundell summed up some evidence and said it included 'a few guys, some aggravated sexual assault, a couple of bathhouses … some lube, four Dutch clogs, a stuffed Buffalo … a metre stick. Stigmata of the anus.'"

And, yes, people have the choice not to listen but, at the end of the day, Blundell represents Corus Entertainment and he crossed the line of what they deem to be acceptable behavior.
Joey / December 13, 2013 at 05:55 pm
Crappy behavior from crappy people on a crappy station.
juepucta / December 13, 2013 at 06:55 pm
Improving the station, besides firing the morning a-holes, would require human flesh and blood programmers (not just putting the stations hard drive on shuffle emphasizing some billboard list) - not gonna happen.
Yep / December 13, 2013 at 07:04 pm
Long live Humble and Fred
enthalpy / December 13, 2013 at 07:42 pm
10 yrs too late. What a terrible waste of air that blowhard is. Good riddance. Maybe I'll actually put a preset back on my radio. There was zero entertainment value to his show. None.
Mark koster / December 13, 2013 at 08:28 pm
Everyone needs to relax, Dean speaks the truth and has openly admitted he has no issue with any race or homosexuality. For those who have no sense of humor u should shut off all type of communication with outside world and stay in your own little bubble
Ross Tyrell / December 13, 2013 at 08:46 pm
Jesus all you left wing ass hats need to just change the station. Stop shitting on the success of other while they do something you could never do. I agree music is sucking nuts but the humour is what brings me back. Yea it's offside and it's distasteful at times. But that's why you come back! To see what they will say next.

If you can't handle someone taking this shitty society we have built , lightly and cracking a few jokes about it to make us laugh! The change the dial to 91.1 and go listen to some guy blow into a flute and fuck off.
rugga / December 13, 2013 at 08:50 pm
Dean is a sanctimonious ass. I've listened to him insult G20 and "occupy" protests. Calling the protesters lazy and unwashed, while he makes money by making dick jokes and reading silly stories off of the internet. Good luck finding a job now with that skill-set.
mikec / December 13, 2013 at 10:34 pm
Finally take that arrogant asshole off the air. Without tod he's a nobody and so full of himself. Its about time. Bring Derek and tod back and now we got a show. Thank you 102.1
K. C. replying to a comment from HR / December 13, 2013 at 10:51 pm
The juror didn't tell anything about the deliberation process nor how they came to their conclusions.

If he had talk aboutt how the came to their verdict, then I would agree with you.

Also, I still haven't seen the law in writing that a juror is not allowed to tak about the trial AFTER it has concluded.
fools gold / December 13, 2013 at 11:03 pm
Blundell isn't going anywhere as he us too much if a draw. The whining babies here need to get over themselves, turn the radio dial if u don't like the show.

Worst case scenario he'll be unemployed a few weeks as he negotiates contract with another radio station
K. C. replying to a comment from HR / December 13, 2013 at 11:11 pm
Since the comments here are quite off topic, I want to express how I see this entire situation.

A person who was accused of sexual harassment was convicted and somebody made a joke about him.

Firstly, if someone is sexually assaulted, I have no problem to see that the offender experiences the same fate. But that's just me. Maybe there are some people here, who'd rather ask the offender to live next door.

Secondly, there was a joke on a radio show, which btw. I did not hear nor did I find it funny (as described in the article).
People are obviously offended by a gay reference.

I assume the funny part should have been that the offender might even enjoy this because of his sexual orientation.

To be honest, I don't give a damn about how the convicted person feels and hope he will get what he deserves in prison. NO MATTER OF HIS SEXUAL ORIENTATION.

p / December 13, 2013 at 11:15 pm
Isn't this what dean wants anyway? I thought he was starting a website/podcast and going independent at some point. I was a fan before they fired todd, but now i think they should cancel the show. Its not nearly as good without todd and adding some random chick to the show to appease the ctrc was transparent and really killed it.
But hey, as long as the uptight crowd is happy then that's all that matters right? I live in the states and im amazed at the canadian political correctness on this thread. Your nation produces some really successful and funny comedians, yet canadians seem to have no sense of humor. If you don't like the show then just change the station. Its pretty simple to do and a lot less work then posting hatred on this thread.
Tommy / December 13, 2013 at 11:49 pm
If Dean doesn't have an issue with gays and homosexuals, then DON'T talk about them if you know they may get offended. Find some neutral issues to poke fun at. AND if you think it's as easy as changing the station if you find it offensive, not so. This is public radio. This is no place for racial, gender related, and bigoted comments. Go to satellite radio where you can pay to enjoy such commentary. As for Dean, he hasn't learned his lesson and never will. Time to silence this fool forever from public radio.
Jefferson / December 14, 2013 at 12:01 am
Bring back Pete and Geets. I remember when cfny was edgy and fresh and generally anti- establishment. Blundell is a right wing bore that more often than not sides with "the man". Blundell should really be on cfrb lobbing soft questions to mayor ford
AshCampbell replying to a comment from Shaun / December 14, 2013 at 12:23 am
Oh Shaun. Allow me to try to respond to your disjointed comments.

Do you know the biggest complaint that has come from what you describe as the "dull as shit 88.1"? Too much talk. People got annoyed when they added morning personalities. This would counter your entirely baseless declaration that people only tune to a music station to hear the personalities (which I'm really not going to bother with anymore because it was so off). Onto the next…

Dean is the very definition of a shock jock Shaun, nothing wrong with that, but one that's a hypocrite does bother me. Want an example? Sure you do:

On the suicide of Kristians Pelss a Edmonton Oilers prospect in 2012: “How much must it suck playing hockey in Edmonton when you … I’m not going back. I mean, you’d rather jump off a bridge in like a war-torn country in a freezing cold river than go back to Edmonton. Shame. I hope they find him. I’ve been to Edmonton. I know what that guy’s talking about.” Yet go back and listen to his comments about former Maple Leaf Wade Belak and his untimely death at his own hands a year earlier. Mental health and suicide should not be able to transition from being something you speak at great length about and try and promote awareness of to only then flip it and make it a punchline when it isn't a friend.

This latest incident highlights his hypocritical nature once again. This isn't a question of taste and its something thats been touched on already in these comments. Sexual assault doesn't become funny suddenly when it happens to a man. If this had been women enduring the same crimes he would never had made such comments and I'm sure you'd be a lot less likely to defend him.

Under the guidance of Chorus this station has failed to remain relevant and has is left with a demographic of 30-40 year old males most of whom only have a high school diploma (if that) and reside in suburban areas. Why do you think they call their big event "Sausagefest"? Ask anyone in media sales/buying, that is their demo. Now I'm going to venture a guess you fit that demo Shaun and I wish you the best of luck with your station that is clearly going through a fire sale and is on its last legs. Meanwhile I'll quite enjoy 88.1 as it continues to grow and improve by doing something Chorus doesn't, listening to its listeners.

Simon Tarses replying to a comment from Jefferson / December 14, 2013 at 01:24 am
There's no way to bring them, or that aspect of the station, back; that was destroyed the minute Maclean-Hunter bought out the station from Selkirk Communications and changed the format in 1988 to Top 40.
K. C. replying to a comment from Tommy / December 14, 2013 at 02:03 am
There are no neutral topics anymore. With such a diversity, everybody is offended at some point (you talk about pigs, either cops or muslims might be offended; you draw a caricature of Jesus, Christians might be offended, ...).

What we need is a higher tolerance and understanding. I do get it that there are jokes and statements which are questionable, but we are not in the kindergarden. These days you can offend easily without the intent to do so.

We need a higher tolerance, otherwise we will soon have a society where you can't say anything at all anymore.
Chris Goyette / December 14, 2013 at 02:09 am
The Guy who called cancer parents who have very sick children beggars last year!!
"Pimping out their children" is what he said...
I hope it never happens to HIS Kids!
reginald_wats / December 14, 2013 at 02:11 am
who cares?!
as if the biggest problem the gay community faces is some asshole who starts drinking at 6am... grow up already and change the radio station if u dont like it!
Chris Goyette / December 14, 2013 at 03:24 am
Stopped listening years ago as he became way too inappropriate with his growing popularity & ego, he's got the Howard Stern wanna be syndrome...
Mark / December 14, 2013 at 07:44 am
This is reply to rugga. Anyone offended by comments made about occupy probably should just go grab shower and some clean cloths and get a job! I know this is off topic but it needs to be said, if this kind of ridiculous behaviour continues the only place anyone will find a job is overseas.
naiger replying to a comment from Ash / December 14, 2013 at 08:00 am
what the fuck is 88.1? bring dean back. the mans been entertaining thousands for years.
Warren / December 14, 2013 at 08:38 am
I miss Humble and Fred. They were the only reason I continued listening to this terrible station.
David / December 14, 2013 at 10:00 am
Most of you people sound like my goddam high school principle.. The DBS literally made my morning every time I listened to it. People are just so easily offended nowadays. I bet they are the same people who get offended when you say "Merry Christmas" rather than saying "happy holidays".
Meena / December 14, 2013 at 10:03 am
Thanks for letting me know about 88.1 - I have know changed my station to that as I have been dissapointed in CFNY for the last few years and Dean has been part of the dissapointment
monie / December 14, 2013 at 10:19 am
everyone chirps but yet they still listen to the show.. ??? BRING THE SHOW BACK ON.... they speak their minds about everything. They have said worse LOL
Andy replying to a comment from Ash / December 14, 2013 at 10:45 am
"Down in flames" is your opinion, but in the last ratings period, the Edge got huge numbers, so they must be doing something right.
Sylvia / December 14, 2013 at 11:06 am
Sexual assault is a broad term. It's everything from unwanted touching to an individual being brutalized. My opinion is that if a person has been convicted of 3 counts of sexual assualt in a court of law then the latter is likely. On another note, the overwhelming sentiment here is that Dean Blandell comes off as angry, disenfranchised and wholly bitter about life. I'm sorry for you Dean. I feel bad for your disposition.

In my opinion , displeasure and hate are two different things. One is passive and one is aggressive.

If a person sits in a court of law and listens to the details that result in the conviction of three sexual assaults then makes light of the particulars, it worries me.

I love a good comedian. I admire a great entertainer. The art of standing up in front of the unkonwn is something I've done and understand. Hate and the dismissiveness and the absense of humanity is worrying. Never stray too far from the fact that you are just like everybody else. You may need one of us one day.

Oh and to Corus - I'm not sure what the numbers are but generally I scrape shit off of my stilettos and move on. If it looks like it, smells like it and rants like it, then it likely is! Set the BAR higher!
Jason / December 14, 2013 at 11:56 am
This is amazing news. I absolutely LOATH this guy. Such a racist, homophobic, sexist creep. Thinks he represents the "Everyman" which is total bullshit. I used to have to wake up to his completely unfunny and bland version of "Humour " every morning bc my ex was a big fan. Though I can't understand how any woman or other self-respecting individual could listen to and actually enjoy this guy. Good fucking riddance.
Jason / December 14, 2013 at 11:59 am
I'm all for a good laugh, but this show just perpetuates/ed bullying and not respecting your fellow wo/man. I'm not even a feminist or activist or anything and I consistently found it so offensive. I used to wake up angry every day bc of it. And you are so right, they spin this station for the youth. It's all top 40 rock the the kids devour. What message are we trying to send them with this trash? So happy ppl are finally standing up against it.
Graeme Quinn / December 14, 2013 at 12:41 pm
Good riddance. This show is little more than neanderthalic drivel. The type of "jokes" they made in this case are simply unacceptable, and in light of his involvement in a criminal investigation, they are reprehensible. The problem is, this kind of behaviour has been a part of the show for far too long. I'm glad someone finally had the sense to take show these ignorant people the door.
Alex replying to a comment from Mike / December 14, 2013 at 01:40 pm
Agree, wholeheartedly. I stopped listening when I heard them playing Bieber back in 2009 (I think). Nope. Done!
Alex replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / December 14, 2013 at 01:44 pm
I will disagree slightly, only because I LOVE KIM MITCHELL. When he hosts, I feel so Canadian. I'd really miss him. They got rid of Dominik Diamond and that made me so angry. I didn't listen to 107 for months. So, in short, I'm contradicting myself. haha
Alex replying to a comment from Dea / December 14, 2013 at 01:51 pm
Misinformation alert! Actually, that little boy had been asked repeatedly NOT to kiss others in his class and he kept on doing it. What about the little girl's right to bodily autonomy? Where is the respect she deserves when she says "hey, wait a minute! I'm not ok with this."? It's not offensive to not want to be molested.
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from Alex / December 14, 2013 at 03:05 pm
I'm sorry Alex, but Kim Mitchell needs to either get back on the road and build up his career, or he needs to go bye-bye; holding a radio station hostage to the past (especially HIS past) is just counterproductive, anti-progressive, and wrong, especially when there's so many great new Canadian rock bands that are out there that deserve to be heard. Mitchell can get a gig at Sirius radio doing his show there, or he can set up his own Internet radio station and play his show there; either way, the airwaves should be for new artists to be heard and new perspectives to be exposed to the world-if Q107 can't do that, then it's time for Corus to give the frequency up to somebody/some other organization that can do so. But oldies EVERY FRACKING DAY? No. Let the boomers (or zoomers) get up off of their asses, get down to the record store (do they even know what that place is anymore?) and BUY the older music they love. That's what I (I'm 46) do, and they can do that, too.

As for the kid mentioned; I don't care what he did, what the school did was excessive and stupid.
Pete / December 14, 2013 at 05:46 pm
This show has not been funny for years. The same old trash day after day. I'm back to listening to Humble and Fred on podcasts. They are available on sirius but I don't have satellite. I have no sympathy for Dean Blundell and his arrogant, Infantile attitude.
Webster1977 / December 14, 2013 at 10:19 pm

i think it's a joke that everyone want's to slam the show it's simple if you don't like it change the station. Howard Stern . Opie and Anthony and many more have been under fire over the years and have said and done much worse. the people bitching about them on here should put the same effort to put an end to bullying on social media. I don't understand how residents of Toronto can slam Dean and his show but over 40 percent will still vote for the currant drug and alcohol addicted mayor.
JamesVR replying to a comment from Webster1977 / December 14, 2013 at 10:30 pm
GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!
Sam replying to a comment from Webster1977 / December 14, 2013 at 10:39 pm
I think its a joke you think Dean B and Canada and the CRTC are anything like Howard Stern and the USA.

The fact that the internet has opened up those shows to you in fine but they cant survive here. Even Stern was cancelled from Q107.

evan / December 14, 2013 at 10:45 pm
Stupid people are offensive because they are dangerous. A bunch of unintelligent white guys making fun about an individual from marginalized and vulnerable group isn't comedy, it's worrisome.
K. C. replying to a comment from JamesVR / December 14, 2013 at 11:35 pm
Very mature.

You must be a minority then. Probably a white, straight, Christian Ford voter.
Rachel / December 15, 2013 at 12:32 am
I listened to the Edge since 1994, but stopped probably five years ago. Thank GOD for Indie 88.1.

Dean is disgusting. His show is terrible, unfunny, and unintelligent. Poo/dick jokes are the lowest form of comedy, performed by people without a brain.

The Edge blows. Playing shitty Canadian music when there are amazing Canadian artists defies logic. Playing alt music from the late 90s and early 00s is the stupidest business plan ever. I find it very funny that all of a sudden The Edge is asking for input from listeners. People switching the dial?
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from Sam / December 15, 2013 at 03:04 am
The only reason Stern was ever brought to Q107 was because the station was dying and needed the influx of listeners-it should have died off completely, and the same should also happen to The Edge.
Lena Lonsdale / December 15, 2013 at 03:32 pm
And the world lost Martin Streek over what again????? Hmm.
Alex replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / December 15, 2013 at 07:51 pm
Fair enough, but seeing that Q is a classic rock radio station - how can "new music" qualify as being from the late 1960s to the late 1980s?
Bandi / December 15, 2013 at 08:01 pm
Bring back David Marsden and get rid of these two morons. The Edge sucks nowadays.
Barni replying to a comment from Ash / December 15, 2013 at 08:22 pm
like u said your old ash. stfu ..
Chris / December 16, 2013 at 10:19 am
The timing is interesting for me. I was a loyal listener from 2007 to about 6 months ago. I can see how Blundell offends, but he seemed to carry some redeeming qualities that kept me listening. I would tune out the really off-side commentary and enjoy the good comedy: Todd on the street, Marlowe vs Sean and Qi Min Sheng.

Then Qi quit, Todd was fired and they brought on a co-host who, even though I gave her a chance, just doesn't carry a talent for good improvised humour.

Dean also started getting angrier. I don't know when it all happened, but the redeeming qualities started to disappear gradually. I could see this show eventually dying, and it looks like my instincts were right.

12 years is a long time for radio. There are other funny talents out there. It's time Corus does some head hunting and blows this thing up and start fresh.
Kittydee / December 16, 2013 at 11:37 am
Same with blacks then don't you think, @moneesha?
dude / December 16, 2013 at 12:59 pm
go f ur self loosers,u dont want dbs?go listen to mad dog and deuschbag or somethin grow up
cody / December 16, 2013 at 02:38 pm
Just listened to 88.1, it blows ! Makes me wanna kill myself. Bring dean back, like dude said u dont like it buy an f-ing mp3 player or change the channel, dam skin-flute playin duchebags have nothing better to bitch about.....piss off
futures replying to a comment from Z / December 16, 2013 at 10:48 pm
I totally agree that jokes about prison rape or violence against men are not appropriate, and should be taken seriously. I disagree though that if these remarks were about women they'd be pulled from the air. It wasn't the prison rape jokes that got the show pulled, but the producer's remarks on air about a trial he was on the jury for. From the sounds of these guys, they've said an awful lot of misogynist (and racist, homophobic and transphobic) stuff, a couple of rape jokes aren't about to get them into any trouble!
Sandman / December 17, 2013 at 07:53 am
If you don't like his show don't listen. I don't.

Feels like we are inheriting our southern neighbours' attitude towards censorship and free speech.
shawn / December 17, 2013 at 08:24 am
the morning show is crap now.i just started listening to 88.1 and its better. better music..... the morning show is funny dont get me wrong but the music they play is just garbage. if you moved these guys to 88.1 i would only listen to that station
Bohemian replying to a comment from Rick / December 17, 2013 at 10:42 am
Long overdue, show has been sliding for several years. Once the station lost it,s last true personality (Bookie) nothing left.
Jen / December 17, 2013 at 01:09 pm
"The Dean Bludel show is oooooo-ver. Bye bye."
josephine / December 17, 2013 at 05:44 pm
I used to listen to Howard Stern years back when he was still on regular radio. Although things were shocking and usually offensive, I found myself laughing out loud on a regular basis. I think that is the key issue here. The Dean Blundell show was a poor rip off that was never once made me laugh. Completely unfunny, and their desperate fake laughter at each other's attempts at humour just made me cringe . Hopefully this frees up the air for a funnier (but hopefully no less shocking) crew.
Terrie / December 17, 2013 at 09:27 pm
Yes, the Dean Blundell show used to get on my nerves most days. They talk waaaaaaayyyyy to much and talk a subject to death. On a rare occasion, I would chuckle. I haven't listened much since Jason and Todd were released but I'm sure the content of the show never changed. I usually just pop a CD in instead of listening to their pointless babbling.
Steve-o-69 / December 17, 2013 at 11:40 pm
I really don't understand why people listen to the DBS if you can't stand the rude jokes that they make? When they joke about some idiot that shoots his wife for not getting him a beer, or how one brother stabs another brother for drinking the last beer in the house, or some gay guy is going to jail and he may or may not find someone he is attracted to and get his balls shook all night long and enjoy it..... That shit is funny! If you don't think it is... change the Channel. I listen to my iPod at 10am or sooner if Nicky is on. I think the DBS should keep going and they need to get on soon so dean can make fun of that fat fuck mayor dancing to Bob Marley.
I'm thinking he listens to Marley while firing up the pipe:)
Bruce / December 18, 2013 at 01:07 am
So many of you know SO much about the show , yet claim to hate it SO much . I think you listen just to have a reason to b!tch and moan about another person
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from Alex / December 18, 2013 at 08:59 am
What I meant is that Q107 (and The Edge) should both be playing new music of the 2000s-2010s (local bands and foreign ones) and cease playing classic rock or get the frack off of the air and let the airwaves be taken up by stations playing new music (non-pop)-the 90s rock The Edge plays is now (and can now be considered) classic rock itself, as many have said. If people need to hear oldies, they've got Boom and one other FM station that does the same thing, or they can buy music (one article has spelled it out pretty well: http://www.thegridto.com/culture/music/t-o-’s-mainstream-rock-radio-should-be-more-mainstream/) If this means hearing clones of Indie 88.1 all over Toronto, that by me that's only good-that's the way it was when I was a kid to begin with, and it can be again.
Don replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / December 18, 2013 at 10:30 am
So Boom can stay but edge has to leave? Why can't Edge stay and Boom leave.

Either way these companies pay thier licesncing fees and get advertising support. I'm sure if it wasn't working for them financially they'd shut down.

There is lots of empty air on the dial that if these other new stations your proposing wanted they could get on the dial regardless or whether the Edge is still on the dial or not.
Mur / December 18, 2013 at 10:41 am
My work has boycotted this station until Dean is back on air. This is rediculous people...IT'S COMEDY, comedian pick on everything from race to ideals. Go watch some standup it's much "worse". You can't make everyone happy and if everything in this world that offends someone is taken away then there won't be much entertainment left. On top of that, i bet a lot more people are pissed that the show is suspended as opposed to people pissed about some gay joke or whatever it was that they said....get over it and lets get this guy back on air so mornings don't suck
Mark / December 18, 2013 at 12:57 pm
I bet people at Sun Media are already offering the guy a position to spew out more horrid garbage. 102.1 was dead long before this happened, maybe someone there will wake up.
Sal / December 18, 2013 at 03:27 pm
I find it ironic that Dean Blundell can make fun of Mayor Ford's shortcomings and yet believe was above all that himself. For as many years as he has been a professional DJ, you would figure he would know a little more about the rules and profesional etiquette regarding his job. Who did he think he was?....Howard Stern?...
Sal / December 18, 2013 at 03:27 pm
Jon / December 18, 2013 at 05:56 pm
How can one be biased these days? If people said they were assaulted its a clear cut case. The jury isn't even required. Nowadays they're pretty much told what to do. Some of the things said are pushing the limits, but this is just a way of the accused getting even. What a joke... Some people just have no self esteem or ability to take jokes. No thick skin here... Lets all just be politically correct and not offend anyone.
Just me / December 18, 2013 at 09:45 pm
Freedom of speech ! If you don't like the show just stop tuning in......that simple. Although I have no concrete facts, I truly believe the issues brought against the DBS, over the years, are from the other T.O. Stations who are in second place. If you can't make fun of yourself - race, creed, sexual pref. etc then the it's your problem. I am who I am and proud of it. So "F - off" to to your sexual pref, your race and the fact that you're a woman and over weight - that's my definition of a multi cultural and accepting Toronto. If you disagree you are a racists ! THINK ! Oh, and let's drop Billy - just a stupid piece of ass, bring back Todd and let's get a traffic person who can speak English - I hate her !

Just me / December 18, 2013 at 10:12 pm
I have been reading the comments above and realize that most of you are just "F'n" stupid and Dean is right. Just the fact that the situation surrounding the DBS is producing this much "airplay" proves that the DBS is shaping our (T.O. Culture). Believe it or not - if you like him or not, or whether you like him less as a results of Todd's parting the show and even if you think Billy is an add on for the female vote - Dean is the cultural i-cone. He is the pioneer with the overstated opinion - at the end of the day it called the DBS show for a reason. Bring him back.
Adrian Abrantes / December 19, 2013 at 01:05 pm
I would be the happiest man alive if the Dean Blundell show got cancelled for good Dean made my life a living hell he says I'm dumb and he made up some BS about Kurt Cobain being alive and well which is absolutely not true everyone knows that Kurt Cobain commited suicide on April 5th 1994. the Dean Blundell show is the reason why Canada's going to hell and Dean Blundell is the devil he even said he wanted to get with my mom and sister and to make matters worse I've gotten so many calls and texts from people making the same homophobic jokes that I assume they got from Dean Blundell including Jon who I assume is a good homophobic friend of Teala Violet who I have no respect for by the way oh yeah and he didn't believe me when I told him I'm straight which by the way I'am he thinks I'm gay for Davey Havoc of AFI and Bert McCracken of The Used which is so not true I've always been into girls and I still do to this day so I say cancel the Dean Blundell show so that we can all rest easily and have a better homophobic free life especially me.
Bdog / December 19, 2013 at 07:39 pm
Everybody is a bunch of sissy babies in this day and age..over the top sensitive!!! It was a JOKE!! They kid all the time, and if takin in that light, they are funny as fuck!! If you don't like it, don't listen..easy as that...the show has thousands of fans who tune in everyday or listen to the podcast, which is commercial and music free..without them toronto might have the most BORING radio scene out there...I will miss them very much if this is the end...and all you haters are part of the problem..I do however, agree that the music choice is bland and unbelievably repetitive......
BDog / December 19, 2013 at 07:46 pm
^^ hey Adrian, only idiots call into the show...almost everyone gets made fun of which is part of the entertainment...why would you call in so much?! You sir, are king of the idiots!! Haha you people are hilarious
Hooligan / December 19, 2013 at 10:24 pm
To all those who don't like the DBS change the station go to ur 88.1 u have that choice . The comments made on the show were not serious and were completely harmless so afew jokes were made so what like really??? It's called entertainment !! Get ur heads out of ur asses people lighten the fuck up !!
Dean Blundell / December 20, 2013 at 07:08 am
I have to poo.
Uniquenamehere / December 20, 2013 at 07:42 am
Have to laugh at all the comments from the wooden people of the world. Your morning show, with Erin and Mike, is a little father down the dial.
Chris / December 20, 2013 at 01:36 pm
This is hilarious, all you losers out there complaining about a radio show that you don't even listen to and if you do listen, what's your point??
Now were giving sympathy to a convicted homo?? Seems that they homo's have all the power, even if their criminals.
I'm straight, make all the jokes you want, I can take it cause I enjoy comedy in all forms. Laughter is food for the soul.
And really, who cares about a bunch of FAGS anyway? Stick to your fancy parades and listen to another station.
The action by Corus just tells me that its ran by a bunch of homo's....................
Get Todd back and the Dean Blundell show is awesome!!!!!!!
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from Don / December 20, 2013 at 03:48 pm
I want ALL oldies stations to go off of the air, not just The Edge and Q107; this format had NO business existing in the first place.

If people need to hear older rock/pop/electronica/country/whatever, then they should be buying whatever they want to hear on CD or LP, or from iTunes, with only the OCCASIONAL playing of oldies ONCE IN A WHILE, like it used to be when I was a kid (say on Christmas and other holidays.) Speaking of when I was a kid, all that you could hear was new music every day, with the occasional classic song played-the idea of a station playing 'classic rock/pop' EVERY FRACKING DAY was unthinkable. Back in the day, we hard new sounds from Canada, the UK and the USA, and our lives were richer for it; now all we hear on most stations is the 'best of the old and the best of the new'-usually the same songs we've heard over and over again, like Muzak, but over the radio airwaves instead of as a tape. This is making music bland and unlistenable (okay, at least, the radio is), making people download music and rely on things like Spotifiy/Grooveshark/whatever to hear new sounds. There is no reason for a city that prides itself on being 'world class' and multicultural like Toronto to be having commercial radio like this, especially with all of the new (domestic & foreign) bands/artists out there that have popped up in the last ten years (and I don't mean all of the pop stars; they have enough help and [over]exposure as it is.)

As I've said before (and at the risk of sounding like a broken record) if Q107/The Edge/Boom/whatever can't deal with what's out there, but can only just play music from the past plus have on unfunny (at least Dean Blundell is) shock jocks, then these stations need to die off and let people who give a shit about music and the exposure of it to the wider world have their frequencies; to paraphrase the statement of Six Shooter Records, 'Life's too short to listen to shitty music.' I'll also add that it's also too short to be hearing the same stuff all of the time-good or bad-every day.
Dean Blundell SUCKS / December 20, 2013 at 04:03 pm
Humble and Fred were way better than this no talent clown. He's a joke of a human being never mind a radio "personality". Scum like him are the real problem with humanity.
Mandi / December 20, 2013 at 07:51 pm
That's b.s queers are ruining our world. Whatever happened to freedom of speech? The fags are taking that away from us while we smile and watch.
iMeatstalker replying to a comment from Mandi / December 20, 2013 at 08:47 pm
You don't have a choice as they have legislated that any opinion other than those that agree with and support them is illeGAL.
Jabronie replying to a comment from Ash / December 21, 2013 at 10:11 am
I could not have said it better myself. The only difference is I stopped listening a long time ago, so those examples would not have sprung to mind, but you pretty much nailed it with "trews" and "three days grace". CFNY has been cancelled...CIND is finally here.
Buzzzone / December 27, 2013 at 11:20 pm
Finally.. Thankfully he is gone... Every morning you would have to listen to opinionated views. Now he can talk as much as he wants from his basement.
Cnote77 / January 1, 2014 at 02:39 pm
Anyone who doesn't like the Show doesn't have to listen. DBS is one of my favorite parts of the day.

If you're listening and so sensitive why don't you turn the channel, and sit back with a nice tea and listen to another station. SOME PEOPLE in this world like to listen to the show because it delivers exactly the reason it got suspended, shock Radio.

Lord in Heaven, have a F*%ng brain if you don't like something and just walk away (and the music on the edge sucks... Dean was and is the only good thing about that station).

everyone who disagrees can suck balls.
Cnote77 / January 1, 2014 at 02:41 pm
Oh, and the FCC and the CRTC can go FUCK THEMSELVES. whatever happened to freedom of expression????

JUST CHANGE THE FREAKING CHANNEL IF YOU'RE OFFENDED!!!!!
Simon Tarses replying to a comment from Cnote77 / January 6, 2014 at 02:49 pm
Oh look, the Neanderthal homophobic brigade has spoken, and we all must pay attention...NOT.

Go and find something else to listen to, you homophobic moron. Or, go and get an education about the wider world other than radio shocks jocks telling you things.
Da1 / January 7, 2014 at 02:50 pm
Karmas a b....atch aint it Deano!!
Poizon Ivy / January 7, 2014 at 05:47 pm
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad he's gone !!!

I miss Derek - he was hilarious !

now lets keep Fearless Fred out and work on 'balls in her mouth' Josie on the "A-dge"
ugh

hideous !
Jon R. Boyle replying to a comment from Ash / January 8, 2014 at 12:46 am
Lets face facts, Dean, although 90% good IN PULLING IN LISTNERS, has grown long in the tooth. He, and a myriad of other great talent has been with station for a long time. I remember starting at Humber for Radio broadcasting back in 2000 and Dean, Jason and Todd starting out their show. A very personal time for me. But that was, what, 13 years??? Progress. Change. and stay current. Is Dean still current? can the majority of listenership say yes? If so, keep him. But the move to cut Jason Barr, and Todd ( even if he stepped out of line) says no. I think the winds blow in the direction of change. same as Humble Howard and Fred Patterson. and those before them. This is radio. it ebbs and flows. And Dean and his friends have been fortunate and successful and enjoyable. But its time to say good bye. Don't be sad. Don't be angry. Be grateful. They have made us laugh. They have made us pee our pants. They may have made us shart our pants. So I say to dean, Jason, todd, ajeoua, Derek, and the rest...thank you. Thank you for getting me through tough times as I tried a career in radio. and thank you for getting me out of it. but thank you for making the good, good. and making the bad, better. you all did your job at the top of your game, and from here out, you better be better. because I'm not happy until I worry about peeing my pants. don't try hard. just be you. You're not beat. You're still going. Take it from me.
Mom Tarses replying to a comment from Simon Tarses / January 8, 2014 at 02:11 am
And the Heterophobic Queer Brigade. How nice.
B Muir / January 8, 2014 at 07:11 am
Hey wah happened? WTF happened? lol
Fishy Stick / January 8, 2014 at 07:19 am
This was the funniest original morning show and I've been a fan for years. I just don't get the complainers. If you were offended why did you keep on listening? You should have switched to another morning show with phony DJ laughter and on air games that would offend the intelligence of a 5 year old.
K i MItchell / January 8, 2014 at 12:56 pm
I stopped listning to this pre manadona Blundel ages ago,,,,He WAS i and i mean was popular because he made people laugh...a nevouse laugh...but he thought he had an opinion like non other well the last laugh is on HIM I AM SO GLAD HE IS OFF THE AIR.. I now have 102.5 on my speed dial they have some really great people on air...funny people ...people who play guitar. on air ..folks who love comic books and make it funny..I see your rating have gone up sisnce the termination of that idot who thought the world wrapped themselves around him ,,Well he was wrong,,,,
NOW LISTNING WITH PLEASURE ALL DAY LONG AS I DID SWICH TO THE Q IN THE MORNING....
Maybe Blundell can get a gig in the US ,,,cause he is not a represenative of the Canadian DJ,,,,,,bye bye forever...and have a good life with your new GF......ur wife is laughing on the other side of her face now since you put her thru hell at HER expense on the air,,,,,and that is PROFESSIONALLY A NO NO LEAVE THAT SHIT AT HOME BUT NO BLUNDEL THE PRE MADONA COULD NOT,,,,,HIS DOWNFALL AND YA KNOW WHAT HE WILL NEVER LEARN,,,,,,BUT HE IS GONE ....
K i MItchell replying to a comment from Mandi / January 8, 2014 at 12:59 pm
ass hole
j-man / January 9, 2014 at 01:05 pm
Its about time... Dean walks around likes he's the biddest know it all makeing fun of everyone .. But has ever looked at himself in the mirror.... And how that billy was on the show it was just garbage.... Good ridens
j-man / January 9, 2014 at 01:09 pm
Dean this is karma for ripping on ford like he's some kinda rapest or crook... I hope your reading all this !!
Alex / January 9, 2014 at 01:49 pm
Wow, tons of people saying you should just change the channel if you don't like it. Well, we did. That's why they got cancelled. Dean's show has been slapped by the CRTC lots of times before and they weren't cancelled. Corus wouldn't have cancelled them unless they weren't bringing in enough of an audience anymore, and clearly they weren't. I have it go on in the mornings to wake me up and aside from the edge files the show was just boring. Glad they cancelled it and hope something better replaces it. Wish I could get indie 88 on my little clock radio though, they play much better music than the edge.
Simon Seis / January 10, 2014 at 04:57 pm
Estupido. That is only way to describe senor dean blundell. Everyone know dean get on radio show for his papa. Everyone know dean is daddy little boy. Everyone know dean cannot get a job because his papi make all organize in the past. Now senor dean in mucho problem. He think corus fire him hecause he no like the gays. This is lies. Senor dean is a grande liar. Corus fire dean because he is a puta mierda always asking for things. But senor dean never give back to Corus, he always have bad ratings and he always acting like he boss. But npw everybody is know, senor dean cannot get job without papi and everybody know senor dean is a puta madre. To call senor dean a marecon is a insult to marecons. Hasta la vista dean blundell, you will always having an "L" on your forehead.
Jadder-_- / January 11, 2014 at 10:37 am
ohhh booo hooo u guys dont know shit..did you actually read the reason he got canned...no..didnt think so..let mamma break it down for you....

"The producer's remarks were in reference to the sexual assault trial of Joshua Dowholis, in which Welsman was the jury foreman. Before finding Dowholis guilty of all charges, Welsman was required to swear on a Bible that he had no prejudice toward homosexuals."

No body would have given a rats ass about these comments if welsman hadn't been on this jury..but because he was it put it in a new spectrum...open ur eyes people...lmfao..good luck guys hope to see you back on the air..

melinda replying to a comment from Jackson / January 11, 2014 at 11:22 am
I totally agree. Most mornings I couldn't listen, but every so often I would to hear some music.I couldn't believe the ignorance I heard. I think he's a closet-most homophobes are afraid of it so they disrespect others. I say good riddance and never work in media again.
TOBilly / January 12, 2014 at 05:39 pm
I've read too much about this to not keep quiet... Sure, Corus thought their Dean was going to bring the ratings that Stern brought to the US markets he was in, but those numbers don't exist in Canada, our market isn't as big. Stern was let go for, among reasons, not having any local flavor to his show. It was based in NYC. American based to an American audience. Deano was handed a blueprint for success, had he any comedic skills, it might have worked. yes, Stern was crude, offensive, dare I say "shocking"... whereas Stern was a genius, Dean was a buffoon. One can't be offensive for the sake of being offensive, it needs to make a bigger point: that's the heart of satire. Where Stern was satirical, dean was just showing us his maturity level (which never got past the bathroom evidently)

While Stern bullied some guests, he always offered them a graceful out. Dean seemed bitter at the world, and used his broadcast booth as a launchpoint to share his self hatred with the rest of us. Don't get me wrong, I love stupid humour, but poo jokes for the sake of cheap laughs went out of style for most of us somewhere around grade 3. Dean missed the boat there. Maybe he should try to do something outside the shadow of his father's name and connections perhaps. For me, the Edge died when they shitcanned Shep for far less. But I wouldn't expect anything "edge-y" from Corus. Lest the shareholders revolt eh?
rachel replying to a comment from Just me / January 13, 2014 at 07:43 am
"shock jocks" need I say more.DUH
frank / January 13, 2014 at 03:10 pm
Funny Corus owns the edge and q107 but i hear Todd on 107 every day doing a comercial for a car delership... Deans show is the best thing you got,call me when its back on!!!
Sphinx replying to a comment from Valerie / January 14, 2014 at 07:17 pm
I second that Valerie, I couldn't agree with you more. I can't tell you how often I've turned the station away because of that morning crew!
R.B / January 15, 2014 at 09:14 am
You can't blame the D.J'S for the music they are being told to play, and the music is terrible. As for Dean he is entertaining. His place is probably SAT radio. Radio and T.V here is not free speach at all. The rules are like communist China. As for all these hurt feelings over jokes and what not. Tuffin up people.
TG / January 17, 2014 at 11:37 pm
RB brings up a good point we all have a choice in what we listen to and if you don't like what you are being exposed to, switch stations...Blundell and the morning crew are great at what they do, most likely the reason they got hired in the first place, to create something no other radio station has in the GTA!!
Mark / January 18, 2014 at 07:34 am
I will never listen to the edge again unless they put dean back on the air, I guess it's back to my mp3 player the music was ok but it was truly the morning talk show that kept me listening
Jason Smith / January 25, 2014 at 09:29 pm
Glad its off...it really has gone down in quality since the new format and new personalities. Without Todd it has really gone t the shits... I was a daily listener and actually looked forward to my drive to work just to listen to the show, now.. I have removed the station from my presets. As for the "offensive nature" that's just gay!!! lol