Friday, April 25, 2014Mostly Cloudy 8°C

Daniel Dale drops libel suit against Rob Ford

Posted by Chris Bateman / December 18, 2013

toronto rob fordRob Ford is off the hook for insinuating Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale is a pedophile. Dale says he's dropping the case against the mayor after he receive a second, written apology. "I won't be taking legal action against the mayor, and I'm looking forward to getting back to work," he said in a tweet.

In his letter, Ford says he had "no basis" for saying Dale was in his backyard or looking over his fence. "I apologize to Mr. Dale for the inaccurate manner in which I described the incident of May 2012," he wrote, using his official city letterhead.

"There was absolutely no basis for the statement I made about Mr. Dale taking pictures of children, or for any insinuations I made. I should not have said what I did and I wholly retract my statements and apologize to Mr. Dale without reservation for what I said," he added.

Dale said he would be continuing the case against Vision TV, which twice aired the controversial interview with Conrad Black. "I have little kids. When a guy's taking pictures of little kids, I don't want to say the word, but you start thinking, you know, what's this guy all about," Ford said while recalling an incident near his home in 2012.

A police investigation found no evidence Dale was on the mayor's property or looking over his fence.

Ford's initial apology, which he made before council yesterday, blamed the media for the way it had interpreted his words. "I wish to sincerely apologize to Mr. Dale if my actual words have caused him any harm or personal offence," he said.

Should Ford have just apologized and spared himself the hassle? Does this letter go far enough? Is Daniel Dale right to pursue the case against Vision TV?

Chris Bateman is a staff writer at blogTO. Follow him on Twitter at @chrisbateman.

Image: Chris Bateman/blogTO

Garneau / December 18, 2013 at 09:10 pm
Great, another situation in which Ford makes use of the media to marginally improve his image. Can we just forget about this guy please? How about some media on the person to whom Mr. Ford's power has been given - even if it's just what he had for lunch, it's more than Mr. Ford deserves.
Diego replying to a comment from Garneau / December 18, 2013 at 09:34 pm
I wouldn't say he is improving his image, he just retracted his statement because he had no basis for his arguments - so, in other words, the guy admitted to have lied again. But I agree with you, lets forget about this issue and move on!
Pro-Ford Comment Trolls / December 18, 2013 at 10:11 pm

WE supported FORD and now we did find out he's a LIER again!!!!!

Unless wait. mabey he told the truth BEFORE and he is lying NOW about it!

Our hero Doug or Rob Ford or whoever is tricky with the truth!!!! Its part of why he is a genius who went to a gifted school!!!!!

OK REALLY WE DONT KNOW WHAT TO THINK

I wish Sue Anne Levey would come back and tell me what my brain should say into my mouth againe!!!!!!
Donnie / December 18, 2013 at 10:20 pm
Another win for Ford Nation! I know y'all were saying Dale had this one no problem and he was gonna win this case. Well I guess he had a change of mind OR he just spoke to his lawyers and they advised him to do otherwise.

Let's just say that we back in the business of running this city!
Donnie / December 18, 2013 at 10:27 pm
Yo Proford comment troll. Have you reached out to Wynne yet to see how you should feel about this? I know its hard to have your own opinion and even harder to express it, its much easier to pretend to express the thoughs of others in sarcasm. Either way you've accomplished nothing towards this discussion and your own true feelings about it. I guess that's what happens when you spend all your time trying to be something your not.
Derek / December 18, 2013 at 10:31 pm
Oncer again you all thought this was the end all and be all to Fords career. You putalk youreggs in Dale and the Toronto Stars basket. Now look you back where you were two months ago accept your not any more angry or any more passionate about this.
gwen / December 18, 2013 at 10:32 pm
One Love Y'all. One love.
Pro-Ford Comment Trolls / December 18, 2013 at 10:41 pm
DONNIE we are confused. You are one of us!!! Who the "heck" is Wynn. I am just impressed by how Rob FORD tricked us all again! He is liek the Breaking Bad of mayor's. And I agree with you, let's get back in the businass of a free Shepherd Subway that is payed for by the Private Sector!!!! And forget the left wing communist UNIONIZED Toronto Sun!!!! "PROMISE MADE, PROMISE KEPT" Ford More Year's!!!!!
Mr. A. Pology / December 18, 2013 at 10:42 pm
What a spoiled , tactless man-child. Whenever he is caught with his pants down, his first reaction is to blame the media. This guy isn't qualified to run a mcdonalds drive-thru, let alone Canada's biggest city. What a sorry excuse for a mayor
Derek / December 18, 2013 at 10:43 pm
Yes, it's true, my favourite thing about Rob Ford is that even after he admits to being a humongous liar, he still gets to be mayor. That's what being a good mayor is all about!!!
Donnie / December 18, 2013 at 10:51 pm
You idiots. Don't you realize?! Daniel Dale knew he had no hope of winning, and THAT'S why Rob Ford apologized and admitted to being a liar! It makes PERFECT SENSE!
Sandy / December 18, 2013 at 11:02 pm
I'm glad Dale threatened to sue, I'm glad Dale didn't accept the first (non)apology, and I'm glad Ford apologized properly. Sure would he nice if Doug Ford did the same. He repeated a lot of allegations against Dale too. As for Vision TV, they still owe an apology. Overall, I think Dale was firm but classy about the whole thing. I won't hold my breath waiting for Conrad Black to apologize.
Josh / December 18, 2013 at 11:04 pm
Ford a good man. He always comes around in the endf And doesn't run away resigning with his tail between his legs.
Will / December 18, 2013 at 11:06 pm
Stay classy Toronto!
Jake / December 18, 2013 at 11:46 pm
Big Win for Ford Nation. Not quite a win but another example that Rob ain't down and out, this boys getting serious. Ford More Years! Ford More Years!
Mickey / December 19, 2013 at 12:05 am
Is everyone just shocked and speechless about this? Must be y'all ain't satin shyte about this
iSkyscraper / December 19, 2013 at 12:10 am
First apology - written by Rob Ford, possibly Doug, figuring appealing to Ford Nation was all that mattered.

Second apology - written by an actual lawyer who told Ford to sign it or lose in court.
Shirley / December 19, 2013 at 12:19 am
His apology will be seen as weakness. Rob is finished.
Shirley / December 19, 2013 at 01:09 am
Lets try this again, shall we (post being deleted)?

I personally see Robs' second apology as a weakness, whether he lied about that night, or just said what he needed to say to get Dale to drop the suit.

I have a feeling many of Ford Nation will feel this way too.

In my eyes, that apology sealed Robs fate.
Gnarlk replying to a comment from iSkyscraper / December 19, 2013 at 01:10 am
Yes yes, we know. You're little Miss Expert live all the way from New York.
Aaron / December 19, 2013 at 03:12 am
Toronto is so polite. Everyone apologizes even if they don't need to.
Yawn / December 19, 2013 at 05:52 am
His apology is not seen as a weakness. Most people don't actually give a sh$& about Dale and these acusations. This is a minor blip in Ford saga that won't even be recognized by most.
Yawn / December 19, 2013 at 06:10 am
You all made a big deal out this because you thought this was gonna bring Ford down and you hung all your hopes on Dale just like you have with every other Ford scandal. You Bloigto'ers built this up yourselves and now once again are disappointed and looking where to lay blame. Blame yourselves, in reality this was not as big as you made it out to be.
steve / December 19, 2013 at 07:47 am
Good to see Dale admit to his creepy ways
Steve / December 19, 2013 at 08:55 am
Sigh, so once again Ford gets away with something inappropriate and illegal because of some half-assed apology he doesn't mean. If this continues he will never learn. he needs to be taught a lesson.

And @steve, I wish you would post under a different name, I don't like sharing my name with idiots.
Gnarlk replying to a comment from Yawn / December 19, 2013 at 09:09 am
Most of us don't give a shit about Ford or Dale and never heard of Dale before he did his attention seeking bit.
Josey / December 19, 2013 at 09:36 am
Yeah, I can't believe Daniel Dale and his attention seeking ways, forcing Rob Ford to go on TV, repeat a bunch of weird lies about him, and imply that he's a pedophile! Stop making Rob Ford do that, Daniel Dale!
Rob Ford / December 19, 2013 at 10:19 am
Anyhoo, yeah, I lied and I knew I was lying, but it was just cuz I wanted to believe my neighbour, who doesn't want anything to do with me anymore. So, there I admitted it AND I got to throw my neighbour under the bus at the same time. Win-win, let's move on, bygones.
Rob Ford's Anus / December 19, 2013 at 11:39 am
I'm tired of all this shit about moi!! From now on, the truth, the Hole truth, so help me Mommy!
Shirley / December 20, 2013 at 12:19 am
What? No insults? Oh, oh. Your good natures are starting to show.

Amazingly enough, IPSO's posted their most recent poll results regarding Rob. He's got 75% of the vote in Scarborough, 74% in North York, and 62% in Etobicoke. The only place he didn't do well was downtown (58% against him).
Montywellhung / December 21, 2013 at 10:27 pm
Shirley, the well-known morphadite, is a micro-brain.
Rob Ford's Anus / December 22, 2013 at 07:30 pm
I like to eat, eat, eat...then eat, eat some more!