Monday, April 21, 2014Partly Cloudy 7°C

Rob Ford apologizes to Toronto Star reporter (kind of)

Posted by Derek Flack / December 17, 2013

20131115-rob-ford-stripped-powers-ed.jpgRob Ford offered something of an apology to Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale earlier today during a city council meeting. Kind of. Addressing members of council and those in attendance -- of which it would appear Dale was not one -- Ford read a prepared statement. "I want to take this opportunity to clarify my comments made in an interview with Conrad Black and to apologize to Daniel Dale for the way in which the media has interpreted my statements," Ford began. "I never called Mr. Dale a pedophile, I do not believe Mr. Dale is a pedophile. My comments related to the fear I had for my family when my long-time neighbour told me that someone was lurking at my fence and appeared to be taking pictures of my family home over the fence."

The Mayor then explained that he had nothing against Dale, only his superiors at the Toronto Star. "I did not mean to insinuate anything personally about Mr. Dale in my interview with Conrad Black," the Mayor explained. "I certainly did not mean to insinuate that he was a pedophile... It's unfortunate the word I did not say has been ascribed to me by the media, but I wish to sincerely apologize to Mr. Dale if my actual words have caused him any harm or personal offence."

Is this a good enough apology? It certainly meets the standards of self-defence (I didn't mean it) but he fails to register much responsibility for the nature of his claims aside from a half-baked explanation that he was protecting his family. Most would argue that accountability for one's actions is the true measure of saying sorry. I'm not so sure this meets that criteria. Share your thoughts in the comments.

Lol / December 17, 2013 at 12:06 pm
Ah yes, now that you've been served, you change your tone. Pathetic fool.
Doug / December 17, 2013 at 12:08 pm
The guy can't even apologize without lying.
Paul / December 17, 2013 at 12:13 pm
Seems fair. He's (kind of) the mayor, isn't he?
Welshgrrl / December 17, 2013 at 12:14 pm
Bullshit non-apology is bullshit. I hope Dale still sues this lowlife piece of pond scum anyway.
motty / December 17, 2013 at 12:15 pm
quasimime / December 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm
*sigh* this non-apology apology is typical of rofo. if anyone else used this pathetic semblance of an apology elsewhere in life (e.g., work, relationships, etc.), it would not be acceptable. it's even worse coming from a disgraced politician.
Lisa / December 17, 2013 at 12:20 pm
"..It's unfortunate the word I did not say has been ascribed to me by the media.."

Yes, well if you had not implied that there was a word you were thinking, then we would not have ascribed it to you right? By the way Ford, what is the "word you did not say" and did not want to say? What exactly were you thinking of that reporter that you "did not want to say?"
BCBMB replying to a comment from motty / December 17, 2013 at 12:25 pm
@Motty, "So, if not pedophile, what was 'that word' that you were hinting at but did not want to say? I can't think of any others to fit that context."

"Gay" comes to mind, for starters.
Essy / December 17, 2013 at 12:27 pm
Since the deadline to apologize has passed can Daniel Dale still continue with his suit? That is the phoniest apology ever, if you actually heard/read what Ford said, I would like to know what he WAS insinuating? I hope Daniel Dale takes him to the cleaners.
steve / December 17, 2013 at 12:27 pm
If Dale wasn't such a creeper the accusation never would have been made
amy teill replying to a comment from BCBMB / December 17, 2013 at 12:31 pm
Seriously, you think "gay" is a negative slur that shouldn't be uttered during an interview and instead alluded too? And you also think of the word "gay" when someone is described as being 'creepy taking photos of children'? If that's seriously what you're implying you're no better than RoFo himself.
Cheryl / December 17, 2013 at 12:32 pm
I think it is about time Ro-bo transform from a sense of political entitlement to a sense of personal responsibility. I hope that Daniel Dale goes ahead with the libel lawsuit. With the pseudo-mayors non-apology on record there is no denying he made the accusations and implications. If I remember correctly while Ro-bo was in denial about his crack use Do-do was threatening libel action against any media publishing such claims.
keven replying to a comment from amy teill / December 17, 2013 at 12:42 pm
"Seriously, you think "gay" is a negative slur that shouldn't be uttered during an interview and instead alluded too?"

To Rob Ford it def is...

Nobody is implying anything, a question for an alternative "word" was asked and one that could be likely was provided.
Shirley / December 17, 2013 at 12:50 pm
Perfect Rob!
amy teil replying to a comment from keven / December 17, 2013 at 12:50 pm
Except 1) He has used the word 'gay' in the past without hesitation/thinking it's a bad word, and 2) The second point in my comment that it was said in the context of "creepily taking photos of children" was also imperative but you decided to conveniently leave that out
Hank / December 17, 2013 at 01:03 pm
Ford never called Dale a pedophile directly. OF COURSE he was insinuating the word pedophile, that's incredibly obvious. He is not denying that. Ford is clearly saying that a neighbor told him that someone was taking photos of his family over the fence. He was explaining his thought process of why he acted the way he did, noting that he did not know it was a reporter. I would have thought the same way. This, unlike Ford's inexcusable crack habit defense, is not a game of semantics. I actually agree with Rob Ford here.

BTW, Great thought-provoking journalism by The Star, taking photos of the mayors backyard,
Skye / December 17, 2013 at 01:09 pm
The fact remains he WAS insinuating that Daniel Dale was "something"...and he owes the public an explanation as to what that "something" is.
keven replying to a comment from amy teil / December 17, 2013 at 01:12 pm
1) citation needed. I don't recall Ford ever using the word gay in a negative connotation and getting away with it, I could be wrong...

2) I didn't ignore it at all. It was all summed up with this statement: "To Rob Ford it def is... "

I'm not saying it's right, but in Ford's mind, the word "gay" is definitely an insult.
Steve / December 17, 2013 at 01:16 pm
The Brothers Ford can't keep publicly doing and saying things, giving a half-assed "apology" and expect it to all go away every time. Enough is enough. Follow through with the libel suit and make a stand against public lying and inappropriate actions by the mayor and his goon sidekick brother.
Joe Scratch / December 17, 2013 at 01:16 pm
This statement is sufficient because in my opinion explains Rob Ford's words from the interview and those words are in line with his version of events from the night in question. The lawsuit will be dropped as it would fail due to its shaky interpretation. To be absolutely clear, the media and the twitterati called Daniel Dale a pedophile, not Rob ford.

You can educate yourself with his complete explanation here before commenting

Talbot replying to a comment from Hank / December 17, 2013 at 01:19 pm
Oh, Hank. How can you get this far into this saga and not yet know the FACT that Dale did NOT take pictures of Ford's backyard? There was a police investigation. There were ZERO pictures on Dale's phone taken that day (which he had left in the park when Ford physically threatened him .. in a public place) and Ford's own security camera footage did not show Dale approaching his property (even though Ford claimed it did). And the neighbour would not corroborate Ford's claim of what he said. It is ALL lies designed to discredit the media and give Ford a leg up on his "competition" - the truthsayers.

Winston / December 17, 2013 at 01:19 pm
The pathological nature of Ford's lies seem to suggest mental illness. He genuinely believes the fantasy stories that he makes up. The apologies appear forced and a "last resort" to avoid serious trouble (seemingly dictated by someone else... Doug? his lawyer? his mom?

Add to this his persecution complex -- the Toronto Police Service, the Toronto Star and City Council are all apparently out to get him -- and it's a picture of a very unwell man.

We've been making fun of him as a buffoon, and it may just be that he's a genuine asshole, yet otherwise mentally fit. But more and more, I wonder if psychological illness may be affecting his behaviour.
Al / December 17, 2013 at 01:29 pm
What happened to Ford's lawsuit against his former staffers for talking about him to the police?
Gabe replying to a comment from Joe Scratch / December 17, 2013 at 01:30 pm
I agree. The statement generally covers the general statement Ford made during the interview. Why should he address every detail that the media and yourselves ran with?

I heard some saying they thought Ford was insinuating that Dale was a Peeping Tom and he never addressed that either.
Gabe / December 17, 2013 at 01:32 pm
Ohh and lets run with the least flattering Ford photo we can to make it appear as though this is what Ford looked like when making the statement.
BH replying to a comment from Gabe / December 17, 2013 at 01:39 pm
Least flattering? You haven't seen his face much have you. Face plant into a camera, face plant onto a football field, face plant into a councillor after running around council chambers, red and sweating profusely in almost any media scrum. This photo is almost tasteful by comparison.

Man, you Ford Nation people need to look upon the face of your God more often and see Him in His full glory.
Urbane / December 17, 2013 at 01:43 pm
If we just ignore the ignorant, morally bankrupt, stinking pustule then without being reinforced, he might just go away. One does wonder how Ma Ford can sleep at night knowing she gave birth and raised all those dysfunctional, creepy liitle Ford offspring. No more from me until he's dead.

Hello Mr. God? You there? Please, please help us get rid of the most disreputable, sleazy, lying, mayor this city has ever had. Thanks.
Gabe replying to a comment from BH / December 17, 2013 at 01:51 pm
Yes I'm not saying that there aren't bad photos and "faceplants" just stating the media's the one that has the choice of what photo they'll run with.

Many citizens aren't aware of image use rights, stock photography, etc. they get the full story from the media. Its the media's job to present the facts and use relevant imagery.
Brian / December 17, 2013 at 01:55 pm
I can't believe I feel the need to defend Rob. Dale wanted a public apology and he got one. Rob explicitly clarified that he does not think Dale is a pedophile.

Let's assume Rob intended to call Dale a pedophile (which I think was the intent) he made an apology and clarified that he doesn't think Dale is a pedophile. Insisting Rob call Dale some other derogatory name isn't productive or the point.
Hank replying to a comment from Talbot / December 17, 2013 at 02:00 pm
totally fair, Talbot. It's difficult to keep track of the facts when it's a neverending string of he-said-she-said evidence. It's possible Ford made the whole thing up and recognized it was a reporter and just wanted to 'accost' him. Very possible given his track record of behavior.
Just to clarify, my comment was directed towards those who are saying 'ford was insinuating the word pedophile, therefore he thinks Dale is a pedophile'

jen replying to a comment from Gabe / December 17, 2013 at 02:07 pm
That's a picture of Rob Ford apologizing. It's from one of his apologies to council for his bad behaviour, right before they stripped him of his powers.

There are exactly ZERO decent photos of that man.
Todd / December 17, 2013 at 02:16 pm
This is basically what's happening:

1. I don't want THOSE people here.
2. What people?
1. You know, THOSE people with THEIR funny sideways hats.
2. Those people and their hats?
1. Yeah, THOSE people with THEIR sideways funny hats and THEIR boom boom boom music.
2. Oh, you mean black people?
1. You said it, not me.
iSkyscraper / December 17, 2013 at 02:25 pm
Oh Robbie, so close, and yet so far. You just couldn't quite do it, could you, despite what your lawyers sternly advised you this morning about making a sincere apology. As Shelley Carroll said:

“He’s an expert at non-apologies, he’s been doing it for years. A real apology is I caused you harm Daniel, I am sorry for that. The admission of guilt makes it real but you’ll never get an admission of guilt from Mayor Ford. It’s not his style and it hasn’t been since birth,” Carroll told reporters Tuesday.

Blame the media, blame the Star, blame Dale, blame your neighbour. Just don't blame Rob Ford for anything Rob Ford does.

Jules / December 17, 2013 at 02:27 pm
Here are a few better photos for your viewing pleasure. Why not run a photo from the actual council meeting today? What the Star wasn't even there? Shouldn't they be at every council meeting? I guess you don't have to be there to run a story or opinion piece, just hear it second hand and run with it.

Here are a few better photos for your viewing pleasure.

iSkyscraper / December 17, 2013 at 02:31 pm
The above quote from Carroll I pasted from:

Jules replying to a comment from iSkyscraper / December 17, 2013 at 02:32 pm
WOW the Post used a photo from today's council meeting!! Applause!
Derek replying to a comment from Todd / December 17, 2013 at 02:40 pm
PRETTY CLEAR STATEMENT TO ME

Rafa / December 17, 2013 at 02:42 pm
Since we're focused on pictures, how about one of Dale himself? Ford may have a point, he's definitely got that kiddy fiddler look about him:

Surely / December 17, 2013 at 02:42 pm
So Rob Ford went on television to tell a story that he knew was a lie. Then he gets up today to 'apologize' but blames it all on his neighbour and the media? What an idiot! That's what you get for using a lawyer with a Hotmail address.

There is Supreme Court of Canada precedent that even an apology is not enough to help make a libel suit disappear. Go ahead and sue him, Dale!
Tony / December 17, 2013 at 02:44 pm
Todd Todd Todd where did you go wrong. How is this the same. Is calling someone a black person wrong? I thought that was an acceptable term. If you call someone black, OR any other skin color for that matter a black person, how is this a defamation of character? Are you suggesting that black is a negative term tgat youd never want to be called? I thought we were all equal, clearly you think differently you pig!
cathy replying to a comment from Brian / December 17, 2013 at 02:47 pm
I believe part of Dale's complaint was the misrepresentation that Ford was spreading around about the night he chased Dale away from the park near his house. Ford's been lying about that since it happened and STILL lied about it in his "apology" so I think Dale has grounds to keep going with the lawsuit.

It's up to him if he wants to, though.
Jules replying to a comment from cathy / December 17, 2013 at 02:50 pm
You believe wrong it was just about the defamatory remarks.

Dale explains.
"I am also serving Vision TV, which twice broadcast Ford's vile and defamatory remarks to Conrad Black even though their interview was filmed days before it aired,"

"I'm also asking Ford and Vision owner ZoomerMedia to apologize immediately "publicly, abjectly, unreservedly and completely."

Sue / December 17, 2013 at 02:53 pm
Rob Ford threatens Toronto Star reporter outside home
MAY 3, 2012
Maki / December 17, 2013 at 03:00 pm

What does Daniel Dale thing?

Daniel Dale
@ddale8
City Hall reporter and acting bureau chief for the Toronto Star. Reach me at ddale@thestar.ca.
Is it a conflict of interest that Daniel Dale is still covering Ford and city hall and also has a lawsuit against Ford?
Todd replying to a comment from Tony / December 17, 2013 at 03:07 pm
You missed the point. Stay out of adult conversations next time, Mr. OMGSOMEONETALKEDABOUTRACE.
Lee Zamparo replying to a comment from Derek / December 17, 2013 at 03:14 pm
'pretty clear statements' of apology do not contain the word if. Ford says: " I wish to sincerely apologize to Mr. Dale *if* my actual words have caused him any harm or personal offence."

Well, Dale filed a suit of libel against Ford, so yeah I think the words caused him personal harm and offence. To Ford, maybe his actual words caused harm and maybe they did not. Ford hasn't decided, can't decide, or just isn't interested. Shelley Carroll nailed it:

Tony / December 17, 2013 at 03:17 pm
Whats your point then the fact that someone called someone else a name (relates to Dale & Ford case) or the fact some didnt want THOSE people here (no relation to the case at all). Why use race at all. Must be another privliged white boy trying to be smart and using analogies that he doesn't understand. Next time use a term that actually is a defamation of character. Again there is nothing wrong with being black. The fact you think its a put down is disgusting.
Derek replying to a comment from Lee Zamparo / December 17, 2013 at 03:20 pm
Yes none of us are sure if the WORDS actually caused Dale any harm. That will be for the courts to decide, Dale will have to prove that they caused him harm NOT whether or not they were said or if they are true.

I'm sure you're smart enough to know that just cause one files a case doesn't make it true and doesn't mean they'll automatically win the case.
Me / December 17, 2013 at 03:27 pm
They're both creepy so who cares?
Sam replying to a comment from Maki / December 17, 2013 at 03:32 pm
Dale will have to speak to The Star and The Star lawyers before responding they're running the show not Dale.
Geoff / December 17, 2013 at 03:36 pm
YEah the Star has the video!!!

MER1978 replying to a comment from Gabe / December 17, 2013 at 03:40 pm
Funny peeping tom doesn't seem to be one word.
Derek / December 17, 2013 at 03:42 pm
DALE is going solo on this, He's already tweeted a few comments...

cathy replying to a comment from Jules / December 17, 2013 at 03:44 pm
If it's not in the actual lawsuit it's still one of the reasons he decided to sue. Ford still hasn't apologized for lying about it.
Gabe replying to a comment from MER1978 / December 17, 2013 at 03:46 pm
Small things amuse small minds. Hopefully this keeps you happy the rest of the day. Peeping Tom.
Jules replying to a comment from cathy / December 17, 2013 at 03:51 pm
You can only sue for things that are in the lawsuit you can't start changing it now.

Hopefully DALE understands what he's bitten off here. He needs to prove how these statements have impacted him.

Did he lose his job? No he's still city hall beat reporter even through he has a lawsuit against the mayor.

Did his friends and family turn their back on him? His Twitter Followers have increased since this cam out. People seem to be more interested in him and what he has to say now then they were before.
DJ / December 17, 2013 at 04:01 pm
Dale: "So: while I appreciate the mayor's first step, no dad or teacher would accept that apology as sufficient. I would appreciate another try."

Alright pal. You aren't his upset girlfriend mad because he called you fat (I know I know the irony). You aren't his son, trying to coax an apology out of him for burning leaves in the lawn.

Like Jules said, no personal harm to Dale and his reputation have come from this episode. Take what he gave you and move on. Quit trying to ride Doolittle's coattails and try and build a name for yourself out of this. All you're doing is prolonging something people in Toronto really are sick of hearing about.
Moran b eeghuzzar / December 17, 2013 at 04:04 pm
I'm right now pitching my tent on public land behind Robfatfuck's house. I'm 6'5", 250 lb. weightlifter. Come out back & insinuate, Robfatguck!
MER1978 replying to a comment from Gabe / December 17, 2013 at 04:08 pm
Can't come up with any actual excuses for BS mayor... awwww poor Fraud Nation. :(
Moran b eeghuzzar / December 17, 2013 at 04:14 pm
'Ford No More' movement, donchaknow.
cathy replying to a comment from Jules / December 17, 2013 at 04:14 pm
I'm talking about his motivation for the lawsuit, not the details. Sheesh. Don't bother responding to me again.
cathy replying to a comment from cathy / December 17, 2013 at 04:18 pm
From the Star:
Here is the Twitter statement from Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale:

“I asked Mayor Ford to 1) retract all of his false claims about my conduct and 2) issue an unreserved, abject, complete apology.

His statement today didn’t come close. I’m proceeding with a defamation lawsuit.

In his “apology,” the mayor didn’t retract anything at all. Instead, he blamed the media for its reasonable interpretation of his words.

And, crucially, he didn’t retract or specifically apologize for the categorically false, malicious, and in-itself-defamatory claim about me taking pictures of his young kids.

I didn’t ask for an “I apologize if.” I asked for an “I apologize because I said false, damaging, and unfounded things, and here they are.”

So: while I appreciate the mayor’s first step, no dad or teacher would accept that apology as sufficient. I would appreciate another try.”
duder / December 17, 2013 at 04:20 pm
RoFo NoApo'
Jules replying to a comment from cathy / December 17, 2013 at 04:25 pm
Hi Cath,

Dales in big trouble here are we now finding out that his intentions are different from the lawsuit. Unlike the court of public opinion, intentions don't stand up in an actual court of law.
Moran b eeghuzzar / December 17, 2013 at 04:27 pm
Dale still suing! Robfff had to change his huge undies!
DavidLee / December 17, 2013 at 04:29 pm
Wow your 6'5, 250lbs and pitching a tent while looking at Dale photos, so impressed.

Why dont you stop premeditating an asault on the mayor and grow the F up. Bullying and violence solve nothing.
Gabe replying to a comment from MER1978 / December 17, 2013 at 04:30 pm
You should feel sorry for yourself NOT for Ford Nation. We're fine, our mayor is slowly coming back to power and making all the right moves for those he represents.
dan replying to a comment from Jules / December 17, 2013 at 04:32 pm
Actually Jules, he's on track to doing exactly what was outlined when Ford was initially served documents last week. Ford did not meet the criteria that was clearly spelled out and now the suit/statement of claim is proceeding.

Ford will now need to draft a statement of defence and if you know what is available to you under libel/defamation law, will see he does not have a leg to stand on. He will need to swear affidavits, as will his neighbour, and the surveillance videos will need to be entered as exhibits.

Once again Ford will be exposed (well to those who have kept their heads buried in the sand) for what he is, and that is a shameless liar.
Derek replying to a comment from Moran b eeghuzzar / December 17, 2013 at 04:35 pm
Ohh great another Occupy Toronto Carny trying to live for free on public land. Get a job we don't need the stink!
Mr.A / December 17, 2013 at 04:38 pm
Sooner or later, this spoiled rich brat will have to face the music, and I hope that it is soon.

He just can't take responsibility for what he said, he simply cannot tell the truth, and he habitually blames others. The apology is a day late, and it's far short of what would be required.

In the moment, I can see the facts being hazy. But security cameras have documented that Dale did not do what Ford accused him of, so why did Ford knowingly lie about it?

Aside from getting terrible legal advice (that libel can happen by implication and innuendo), Ford is a failure of a man for not standing up and doing the right thing. A spineless coward evades responsibility by blaming others. A decent human being stands up and is accountable for themselves.
Jules replying to a comment from dan / December 17, 2013 at 04:42 pm
How will he not have a leg to stand on? When Dale loses will you then be on the courts side or OJ's side, oops I mean Dales side.

Fords statement is as he said it on the Conrad interview. His defense is that he never said the P word it was all "insinuated" and that comes down to personal opinion not the law.

The videos do not capture every inch of the property and that is if they even still have them. Alot of personal and store surveillance cameras overwrite themselves every day or every week. You don't need Months and months and Years of footage with nothing to show on them. Usually if that is an incident, footage is pulled right away otherwise you might have missed the opportunity.
JamiesCryin replying to a comment from Mr.A / December 17, 2013 at 04:44 pm
Ford is a good man. Why do you think he's still in city hall, to face the music and be accountable. Should he resign with his tail between his legs like McGuinty and get off scott free?
Cindy / December 17, 2013 at 04:46 pm
Accept the apology, hold hands and move on. All they are trying to do is make things messy at city hall for Ford so that Wynne and deputy mayor Barney Fife can have their way with the taxpayers.
Rex / December 17, 2013 at 04:49 pm
If Dale is so specific about the words used in the apology why didn't he draft it up for him so Ford could just read it.
Jules replying to a comment from cathy / December 17, 2013 at 04:52 pm
Now we need to sue Ford for whether he meant the apology deep down in his heart or not. We all apologize for things everyday whether or not we truly mean it deep down in the pits of our hearts or soul. Isn't that part of being Canadian? Two people go to press the cross walk button at the same time, one needs to apologize sometimes both do. Sorry for being Canadian, and Thank you for your time.
Cindy Sherman replying to a comment from Gabe / December 17, 2013 at 04:56 pm
That's one of Blob Ford's better photos - he isn't sweating and doesn't have food on his face.
Me / December 17, 2013 at 05:05 pm
Funny BlogTO commenters are so "outraged" at some stupid reporter getting called a few names when they call Rob and other far far worse here every day.
Geoff / December 17, 2013 at 05:06 pm
Dale you got your public apology. You don't get to define how it is stated, the words used or whether its heart felt or not.
duder replying to a comment from Jules / December 17, 2013 at 05:06 pm
Except, dum dum, that the law is very clear that insinuation does fall under libel/slander.

The fact that Ford even made the apology at all suggests that he knows he's toast in court on these charges and is trying to wriggle out of it. Problem is that his apology was a classic Ford "sorry if you were offended" apology.
Suzi / December 17, 2013 at 05:11 pm
After school special - The Daniel Dale Story starring Daniel Ratcliff as Daniel Dale and Matt Damon as Rob Ford.
Jules replying to a comment from duder / December 17, 2013 at 05:14 pm
It can fall under the law but not in this case when Dale works for a Media company that ran a story without concern for Dales character. They threw one of their own under the bus for this one. Running the story with the P word all over it is not helping Dale or the case.
Jules replying to a comment from duder / December 17, 2013 at 05:16 pm
Also Dale is the City Hall Beat reporter, did he proof or edit any of these stories before they went to print or were posted online. I wonder how he felt about signing off and approving these stories about himself before they ran.
dan replying to a comment from Jules / December 17, 2013 at 05:22 pm
Jules - if you've been following this closely you will know that you don't actually have to say the word directly - innuendo, by law, can still be held up in a libel suit. I would suggest it is not that much of a stretch that 9/10 people, if played that specific clip, would say the word he was inferring was pedophile. I really don't know what other kind of person would be taking photos of children, as Ford said.

Sure maybe they don't have the video anymore but it will no doubt be requested as an exhibit and if not produced then Ford has lost a piece of evidence that would support his defence. I don't know much about surveillance footage but would assume we've switched from tape to digital, no? If that is the case, it is likely sitting on a server somewhere, backed up.

I would also add that if this goes beyond examinations, mediations etc .. and actually to trial, it will likely be used by the plaintiff that Ford is an established liar and much of his version will be scrutinized. As well, if he's going to say he's basing his version of events on his neighbours account, that's hearsay and is not a defence for defamation.
Jules replying to a comment from dan / December 17, 2013 at 05:26 pm
Please explain how/why The Star ran articles with P word in them about Dale. Cause everyone else was doing it? There's no way for it to be written without the P word? We decided not to go silent on this one and spread the rumors about one of our own. We wrote it as juicy as possible and Dale approved of the multiple uses of the P word before any of the articles went to print.
Mr.A replying to a comment from Jules / December 17, 2013 at 05:28 pm
"His defense is that he never said the P word it was all 'insinuated'"

Well, that's a defence that does not work - see the Criminal Code of Canada section 298 (2) "A defamatory libel may be expressed directly or by insinuation or irony", or R. v. Lucas, [1998] 1 SCR 439

As this is a civil matter, the burden of proof is on a balance of probabilities; is it a reasonable inference to make? I think it's crystal clear.

Is it a reasonable conclusion to take Ford's remarks as accusations of pedophilia? I believe it is; I'm not sure what else Ford could have possibly been implying.

Is it reasonable to think that having the Mayor of North America's fourth largest city call you a pedophile (by implication), is in itself harmful? If nothing else, there's time an effort into getting it retracted; it was broadcast, and a man's good name was maliciously dragged through the mud.

Is it reasonable to think that having the mayor of Toronto knowingly lie about the circumstances of the incident is harmful in and of itself? I think we can reasonably expect our elected officials to not knowingly lie to smear someone with whom they disagree.
Me replying to a comment from Jules / December 17, 2013 at 05:46 pm
Pretty much. The media stirs the masses into a hysterical feeding frenzy and then whines about anything that comes back at them.
dan replying to a comment from Jules / December 17, 2013 at 05:48 pm
Jules - I have no clue what you're getting at. Are you saying that because Ford inferred Dale was a pedophile that The Star can't say the actual word when reporting on it? The entire story and libel suit is because of this word. You seem to be buying into Ford's weak attempt at a defence that because he never actually said the word he is in the clear. As demonstrated above, this is not the law when it comes to libel/defamation.

Spread rumours? There are no rumours. Ford lied. He called someone a pedophile based on no facts. That's the crux of this and not very difficult to follow. And what seems most difficult for most to comprehend is that if Ford had just not said it in the first place (and replace that with: smoke crack, drink and drive, hang around criminals) none of this would be happening. It's called taking responsibility for one's actions and now paying the consequence.
CareBear / December 17, 2013 at 06:03 pm
Why are people so surprised by this?
Heres what you sound like,
Fords an idiot
Fords a liar
Ford will never change
This is typical Ford
What this is insane, an outrage!

We already expected this. why is it so shocking.
Jules / December 17, 2013 at 06:11 pm
Yes unless the star reached out to Ford for comment on what he was insinuating.

I have kids at home to protect and this guy is taking pictures. To Tme that could mean, pedofile, pervert taking photos of adults, reporter, tabloid, etc. If your the mayor of the city and you, your family and home have received death threats you start to wonder what people are about specially when theyre around your home.
Ben / December 17, 2013 at 06:16 pm
There are wooded areas around the beaches and in high park where some same sex parters like to play. Rob may have thought something was gonna happen on the other side of the fence.
Sandra / December 17, 2013 at 06:25 pm
Lest we forget this incident happened in May right around the time the crack video was taken. Rob is a little fuzzy about the month of May.
Brian replying to a comment from cathy / December 17, 2013 at 06:29 pm
Ford is still a douche but the media and public are so eager to crucify him. Ford is entitled to stick to his story about whether Dale was peering over the fence or not (even if evidence suggests otherwise).

I just want this train wreck to end and it's the media that doesn't seem to let it die.
Brian replying to a comment from Rex / December 17, 2013 at 06:45 pm
Thinking the same thing. It wouldn't be sincere enough then. No apology would satisfy Dale, the media or general public.
jen replying to a comment from Jules / December 17, 2013 at 07:03 pm
Except that he DIDN'T take pictures. You can't even read properly, let alone spell properly. I hope you aren't taking an active part in the education of your children....yeesh.
Dave / December 17, 2013 at 07:06 pm
Sorry mayor was not so sorry today but he sure will be sorry when he has to face the judge. Under Canadian defamation law, this case is a slam dunk for Dale.
Poopdawg / December 17, 2013 at 07:13 pm
Ford's lawyers told him to apologize because he couldn't win. So, Ford apologizes the only way he knows how... by not apologizing.

The man-child is the only architect of his own demise.
Daniel Dale replying to a comment from Morris the Cat / December 17, 2013 at 08:49 pm
Me too.
Jules / December 17, 2013 at 09:30 pm
I dozed off but I'm back up and just had another pill.
BettyAnn / December 17, 2013 at 09:32 pm
Time for some time for some time 4sumAksun. Back in action.
Brian / December 17, 2013 at 09:41 pm

Ford has already admitted to smoking crack and I thought that was illegal (an indictable offence?) and there are still no legal consequences. Are police still preparing their case?
Concupiscurd replying to a comment from dan / December 17, 2013 at 09:46 pm
Dan,

Ford definitely insinuated that Dale was a pedophile however i don't see how this is defamation. His accusation is based on seeing someone peering over his fence and possibly taking photos of his children. If this was the case then the question arises is that kind of inference i.e. that Dale is a pedophile, reasonable? if the answer is yes (and most people would agree i think) then i don't see how Dale wins even in a civil case. Of course, in this case it appears to hinge on what Dale was in fact doing on that night. If he wasn't snooping or peering over Ford's fence or taking photos then it looks like Ford would be guilty of defamation.
Daniel Dale / December 17, 2013 at 10:14 pm
I'm the papparrazzi, I can do whatever I want to.
F replying to a comment from Daniel Dale / December 17, 2013 at 10:38 pm
Did you or your organization kill DIana?
Jules replying to a comment from Poopdawg / December 17, 2013 at 10:40 pm
Everyone takes advice from their lawyers go F yourself
Jules replying to a comment from Poopdawg / December 17, 2013 at 10:44 pm
Wheres Cathy? You on here girl? Drag that big ass on over here...
Sammy / December 17, 2013 at 10:48 pm
Do you think Ford will enjoy Clodhoopers this holiday season? Chocolaty Goodness. LOVE EM LOVE EM CANT FIND EM
AlphaGhetti Gobbler / December 17, 2013 at 10:53 pm
Gobble a-ghetti Gooble a-ghetti!
Daniel Dale replying to a comment from F / December 17, 2013 at 11:19 pm
Who is Diana? One of Rob's family?
Scott / December 17, 2013 at 11:23 pm
For those of us with actual political prowess you can see that Ford is playing a long game which ultimately keeps him top of mind for a long time as well as it allows him and the public to skim over the small details that they won't need to remember in 10-12 months. Its not in the samll details in the Long Game. Dale is playing a short game which may run alot longer than he expects. Ford is a calculated, Smart, Intense Genius of a Man.
Mr.A replying to a comment from Concupiscurd / December 18, 2013 at 12:24 am
"Ford definitely insinuated that Dale was a pedophile"

He sure did.

"however i don't see how this is defamation."

From the Criminal Code; 'A defamatory libel is matter published, without lawful justification or excuse, that is likely to injure the reputation of any person by exposing him to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or that is designed to insult the person of or concerning whom it is published'

"His accusation is based on seeing someone peering over his fence and possibly taking photos of his children."

This never happened. Ford lied about this, as Dale was never at his fence, peering over, nor taking pictures. Ford has since said this this is what he was told at the time by neighbours.

Had he said this at that moment, then he's just acting on bad information (in good faith) and there's no real harm. That it's months later, and he knows that what he said is false, this opens a big can of worms; it seems reasonable to infer that he is maliciously going after someone.

"If he wasn't snooping or peering over Ford's fence or taking photos then it looks like Ford would be guilty of defamation."

Yep.

Brian - "So what are the consequences if Ford loses in court? What about consequences to Dale if Ford wins?"

It's a civil matter; Ford will get dinged for damages and a punitive amount, I'd wager.

"Ford has already admitted to smoking crack and I thought that was illegal (an indictable offence?)"

The admission is not really enough to arrest someone with; with no evidence, (and a statement that wasn't made under oath), there's no way to prosecute it, really. How do you prove it beyond a reasonable doubt? Ford would say nothing (or retract it), then where's your case?

Scott - Ford is a calculated, Smart, Intense Genius of a Man.

BWAH ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Oh man, that's funny!
F replying to a comment from Daniel Dale / December 18, 2013 at 04:48 am
The Princess Diana you papparrazzi.
QUINN / December 18, 2013 at 05:28 am
Theres no way this actually goes to court. Any judge in their right mind would throw this waste of time out. This is some school yard bullshit and should be settled on the school yard.
Fudgey / December 18, 2013 at 05:52 am
THIS just in! Rob Ford and Paula Deen separated at birth.
matt / December 18, 2013 at 07:09 am
Dale's just doing this so he can get some free money.
matt / December 18, 2013 at 07:10 am
This is just so he can get some free money.
rjbird replying to a comment from Hank / December 18, 2013 at 07:39 am
Hank, he absolutely IS denying that he made the insinuation that Dale is a pedophile. “I never called Mr. Dale a pedophile, I have never used that word to describe Mr. Dale, I do not believe Dale is a pedophile nor did I intend to suggest that in my comments,”
rjbird replying to a comment from Ben / December 18, 2013 at 07:45 am
Would those be the same wooded areas where Ford likes to urinate and drink with good buddy Lisi?
Hank replying to a comment from rjbird / December 18, 2013 at 10:11 am
Exactly rjbird,
A neighbor tells me someone is taking photos from my backyard, It's very possible my first thought would be "who is this guy, whats he all about, taking photos of my kids playing?. The idea of pedophile might even enter my mind. Now, because i thought those things BEFORE I knew who the person was I can get sued for defamation?

Hank replying to a comment from rjbird / December 18, 2013 at 10:18 am
He's not insinuating Dale is a pedophile, He's insinuating his concern was there was a creepy pedophile taking photos of his kids from the backyard. He is saying he doesn't think Dale is a pedophile because he now knows who he is, a reporter from The Star.

When did our society become so crazy. Fight the big fights people. Our mayor is a crack smoking drunk driver! Whether you agree with his politics or not, that is not cool. Those who oppose Ford have tons of ammunition to use against him. These kind of battles are soo petty and distract from the legitimate arguments. It forces people like me who never would have thought would see the day defend Ford, ACTUALLY defend Ford.
Steve / December 18, 2013 at 11:07 am
No sympathy for a slimey little reporter climbing fences and snapping pictures. Who's to say he isn't a Pedo? He sounds like a scumbag ...good luck with the lawsuit buddy lol....the world thinks u love little kids haha
Me replying to a comment from F / December 18, 2013 at 11:21 am
Diana died because she was too stupid to wear a seatbelt. Period. Celebrity can't overcome physics.
ruttipa the magnificent / December 22, 2013 at 07:35 am
New law: all politicians must have 3 criminal convictions and use prostitutes.
alana / December 22, 2013 at 07:36 am
I'm good with that! Renata: Rob doesn't always eat at home!
Rob Ford's Anus / December 22, 2013 at 07:34 pm
I like to eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat, eat...EAT!
Rob Ford's Anus / December 23, 2013 at 12:16 am
Alana says I really am a bobblehead!
Gabriel / January 30, 2014 at 10:35 pm
yea but a 1000bhp skyline has no class or stuats and its not a reliable daily driver or street legal. and looks are personal, im guessing youre just a a little boy racer who thinks r33 s are the coolest car ever. and its better than poor loser boy wannabe gayness lmao. Theres a reason they dont make R33 s anymore little boy.