Wednesday, April 23, 2014Mostly Cloudy 3°C

New in Toronto Real Estate: 155 Redpath Condos

Posted by Sarah Ratchford / April 25, 2013

155 Redpath CondosThe Yonge and Eglinton area is about to welcome yet another condo development. This one will land at 155 Redpath Ave, and while it's still on the mysterious side in that the developer has only released a handful of renderings, it looks like it might rate pretty well on that whole quality-of-life scale. Or whatever that's called. Anyway, this place has a boatload of amenities with comparatively low maintenance fees. Also, they seem to like yoga — a lot. Chill waves.

155 Redpath CondosSPECS

Address: 155 Redpath Ave.
Floors: 36
Total number of units: 470
Elevators: Yes
Types of units: Studio, one plus den, two plus den.
Unit sizes (in square feet): 377 to 1500
Ceiling heights: N/A
Prices from (available units): $229,900
Maintenance fees: $0.49
Developer: Freed Developments
Amenities/building features: Outdoor pool & hot tub, outdoor shower, poolside cabana lounge, sunbathing area, gas fire pit lounge and BBQ, outdoor dining area, floor amenity space complete with a pool table, kitchenette area, meeting lounge, indoor washrooms with changing area, sauna, multi-level fitness centre, indoor/outdoor yoga facility, gardens, party room, deck and lounge areas.

155 Redpath CondosTHE GOOD

Though I write about condos just about every week, and though I think they clearly make sense when it comes to fostering the kind of density we need in the city, I'm less than thrilled with many developments. I'm not going to lie, though. This place kind of makes me want to ditch my apartment and move on in.

The list of amenities that come with this property is actually shocking. It's madness. Poolside cabana lounges, fire pit lounges, multi-level fitness centre...I'm sorry? There are resorts in Toronto now, and you can live in one starting from the mid-200,000s? Correct me if that doesn't sound kind of amazing.

The layouts look pretty good, too, with proportional attention given to living space and bedrooms. There are large windows, and most units offer balconies of some sort, as well.

155 Redpath CondosTHE BAD

While this place seems like paradise, it has yet to be built. The maintenance fees seem a little on the low side to support such supposed grandeur, but innocent until proven guilty is the way it's gotta go.

The one other issue I take with this property is something that's cropped up many weeks in a row. I hate to belabour the issue, but there are rooms without windows. Clearly, I'm not an architect, but I can't help but think that windows are a particularly important design component.

155 Redpath CondosOUR TAKE

We have yet to see renderings that more specifically reveal what the suites will look like, and obviously that carries the most weight. But if they feature brightness and the same clean design as the rest of the building, it seems like an ideal spot, if you're cool with living at Yonge & Eligible. I feel gross even typing that.

fooo / April 25, 2013 at 08:31 am
The maintenance fees are low to drive sales. 1st year fees are determined by the developer. Most condos see at least a 20-30% rise in fees after registration, when the developer must make up any deficit. I suspect with the pool, etc. this condo will eventually have comparatively high fees. And 10-15 years down the road, special assessments to pay for massive repairs.
Alex / April 25, 2013 at 09:20 am
Wow, talk about gullible. Of course the maintenance fees will stay that low, and those low $200000's units are obviously perfectly liveable bachelor units with nice layouts, also Santa Claus called and asked what you wanted for Christmas.

This site used to have good honest condo reviews that took the developers to task for their unrealistic marketing and pricing, and the reviews were often funny too! Please go back to real reviews, instead of blindly believing all the marketing. I'm not saying condos are bad, I'm just saying it doesn't hurt to present both sides fairly.
Pants Go Brown / April 25, 2013 at 09:38 am
There are few more hideous and characterless hoods than Y&E.

Barren, wasteland.
Todd replying to a comment from Pants Go Brown / April 25, 2013 at 09:51 am
Toronto's not exactly known for culture and all neighbourhoods are looking the same these days anyway. What's at Y&E will be coming to your neighbourhood too, if it's not there already.

Y&E has a ton of amenities nearby and if you work in North York or outside of the core, it's an awesome, stress-free commute for the most part. Yes, there's no culture and the people are mostly stereotypical office drones (max income, max work hours, max accumulation of stuff or bust) or transplanted 905ers making their Big Move to the City (TM) mingling with an established older working class, but it is a positive mix. No one's really nosy because they're so involved in their own lives so they keep to themselves ultimately making them good neighbours. Just don't ever expect to learn their names.
Todd replying to a comment from Pants Go Brown / April 25, 2013 at 09:53 am
*because if you can't advance their careers, they don't want to know yours either.
Rick / April 25, 2013 at 09:56 am
This imagery of utopia living has to stop!!!
But then again, they are catering to suckers.....
hee haw / April 25, 2013 at 10:08 am
I find it hilarious that the developer is using the same space as the presentation centre as Minto did to feature Quantum.
blerg / April 25, 2013 at 10:09 am
The naivete of whomever wrote this article is disturbing although I fear sadly commonplace amongst her peers.
Todd Toronto replying to a comment from Pants Go Brown / April 25, 2013 at 10:10 am
Do some research before you say something that ill-informed. There's a 24 hour Golden Griddle a block away!

Wasteland my arse.
TJ / April 25, 2013 at 10:16 am
My experience is that when a developer releases only a handful of renderings, it is because they are testing out the market. It is possible that this project would be cancelled/delayed if there are low sales.
Cyril Sneer / April 25, 2013 at 10:24 am
I do not understand condo amenities. My simple building only offers a pool and I've used it maybe twice in the two years I've been here. How many people are really going to use a fire pit? Is something like that really worth paying maintenace fees for? It reminds me of my roommate who insists on paying for the whole Rogers channel line-up based off some romantic notion of what awesome shows he can watch, when in reality, the only thing he ever watches is the odd hockey game on CBC.
jay / April 25, 2013 at 10:38 am
Cyril Sneer; That's your idea of a "romantic notion"? Watching more tv?
Jordan / April 25, 2013 at 10:51 am
Beautiful architecture, wonderful vision. This is a real gem of a building I can't wait. My favourite part about it is that it's totally unique from all the other buildings going up around the city. Why live in a glass and steel monstrosity when you can have this?
Zi replying to a comment from Todd Toronto / April 25, 2013 at 11:01 am
Hate to burst your bubble but I've eaten at that particular Golden Griddle and it's terrible.

On the bright side, there is a Bulldog Cafe.

I lived in a building for about 15 years at yonge and eglinton with a swimming pool (and all of the drilling, construction noises you could possibly ever desire for FREE) and I used the pool quite a few times until the maintenance fell apart and it seemed like I was swimming in an open sewer.

The condos look like the usual fantasy of urban living micro cubbies and I have no idea why anyone would want to pay a mortgage and maintenance fees for one. The building pool, entertainment room, party room etc will end up being monopolized by the same handful of overstuffed ego buffoons and pretty much rule the place with their bland paw of stupidity. No thanks.

I moved from Y&E a year ago and while it was convenient shopping wise and has a nice library, the apt. building in the area suck eggs. Glad I moved and wish I'd moved years earlier.
Cyril Sneer replying to a comment from jay / April 25, 2013 at 04:26 pm
Can you read? I said MY ROOMMATE. Furthermore, "romantic" doesn't specifically refer to romance/love, but rather to the property of expressing some idealized aesthetic or noble characteristic.
Me replying to a comment from blerg / April 25, 2013 at 06:39 pm
Amy/Rachel/Sarah/Robyn, I suspect is about 15 and living with Mommy and Daddy and pretending to be a 'writer' through the internet by doing these silly copy n paste 'srticles'.Somehow, I also suspect she still cuts pictures out of catalogues to dress her paper dolls also. So, yes I agree.
Those who can't write, criticize replying to a comment from Me / April 25, 2013 at 06:52 pm
Hey Me,

Thank you for being the definition of useless. Maybe only come out of your hairy cave whenever you have something of value to add, okay?
Den Danger replying to a comment from Me / April 25, 2013 at 08:33 pm
I hate people who pretend to be "writers" by posting poetry online on sites like fictionpress also.
Me replying to a comment from Those who can't write, criticize / April 25, 2013 at 08:36 pm
I'll have you know it's a man cave with an awesome GTR rig. So who's the loser now?
Me2 replying to a comment from Those who can't write, criticize / April 26, 2013 at 01:30 am
Robyn is the definition of useless.
Me2 replying to a comment from Me / April 26, 2013 at 01:55 am
ManCave has to be the definition of the most stupid term ever.
Rupesh Charl / April 26, 2013 at 03:17 pm
Thank you for sharing this important information with us
Turnkey Properties !
Rupesh charl / May 1, 2013 at 09:29 am
I also want to buy this Turnkey Home
Andreas / June 27, 2013 at 10:05 am
Are you aware of any web pages where one can find a
unique nests of tables set? Ive been surfing on the internet and just seem to discover
the regular glass and oak ones