Friday, November 28, 2014Mostly Cloudy -4°C

10 photos of historical Toronto on Instagram

Posted by Derek Flack / April 5, 2013

Historical Building TorontoOur latest Instagram photo challenge celebrates Toronto's built heritage. In the sea of anonymous cell phone pics, once in a while a truly beautiful structure really pops out, and they also tend to benefit from the vintage filter treatment that old-school types are always so quick to take a dump on. Come on, old timers — sometimes (read a lot of the time) a quick and easy filter is just the right thing for an iPhone photo or the like. We asked our followers to take shots of their favourite historical buildings around the city and pitched in with a few of our own to boot. Add yours to the pool by using the hashtag #heritageTO.

See also: 20 photos of iconic Toronto landmarks on Instagram

201345-union-soteeoh.jpgUnion Station by soteeoh

201345-bank-vsca.jpgCommerce Court by vacaseca

201345-ry-vsca.jpgRoyal York by vacaseca

201345-grid-aldcu.jpgHistorical mashup by alad_one21

201345-wellington-alad.jpgYonge & Wellington by @alad_one21

201345-mlg-mtny.jpgMLG by mattamyathleticcentre

201345-honest-eds.jpgHonest Ed's by dflack

201345-osgoode-bto.jpgOsgoode Hall and Canada Life Building by blogTO

201345-theatre-bto.jpgEd Mirvish Theatre by blogTO

Fig / April 5, 2013 at 12:00 pm
Love the historical mashup!!
Macs apple / April 5, 2013 at 02:26 pm
Unfortunately, these seem to be heavily manipulated images - the one of front street with the superimposed New York building (flat Iron circa 1867) albeit, very well done!
I am a graphic designer so it would be the first time I have managed to spot a phoney -
Dan replying to a comment from Macs apple / April 5, 2013 at 02:39 pm
Yeah it's so well done when I walked by it on my lunch break today it even looked real in person!!!
Allurban / April 5, 2013 at 03:01 pm
I love the historical mashup too. It just jumped out at me. That's something I want on a canvas on my wall
April replying to a comment from Macs apple / April 5, 2013 at 03:23 pm
The flatiron building in NYC isn't even the same color as the one in Toronto (which is REAL in the picture, btw)

You're real good at this eh?
Robert replying to a comment from Macs apple / April 5, 2013 at 04:10 pm
Why do people make comments on things without taking a few seconds to do a Google search, do you thin we will all take your word for it?
glenn storey replying to a comment from Macs apple / April 5, 2013 at 04:19 pm
huh. i would have thought blindness would be a bit of an impediment to a graphic designer.
Alex replying to a comment from Macs apple / April 5, 2013 at 05:44 pm
You're not too bright, eh? You must be one of those unemployed graphic designers.
Kevin replying to a comment from Macs apple / April 5, 2013 at 06:03 pm
yeah..I don't know if you're joking or not, but that's a real building.

mike / April 5, 2013 at 06:37 pm
I cant wait to see the looks on the faces of the people who rent space in the flat iron, the most expensive sq/ft bldg in the city, when they realize its NOT real! ahaha suckers
carol / April 5, 2013 at 06:48 pm
Actually...Toronto's was built first...
Macs apple / April 5, 2013 at 07:05 pm
Nice try with that Wikipedia link. Anyone can post anything on Wikipedia. You guys are dumb!
Gareth replying to a comment from Macs apple / April 5, 2013 at 08:23 pm
You're messing with everyone right?
loodle replying to a comment from Macs apple / April 5, 2013 at 08:48 pm
Wow...you need to walk around on Front St. a little more and take a real good look at the flat iron building there. Anyone can post on wiki but not everyone can dump a real building there.
MarT / April 5, 2013 at 09:39 pm
New York City's Flatiron building- http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFpPI0aNcyP0-A215R7mXHTKVsalw9zCvO-ud4nSa08w6u1GXB

Toronto's Gooderham (A.K.A Flatiron building)notice the CN Tower at the background.. http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWQ4ixL6Z5vw4lU0y2pcYJevhDw6SNsGp6sHUr1Bb-Pyrluxbd
Lol replying to a comment from Macs apple / April 5, 2013 at 09:52 pm
Well done... LOL
Macs apple / April 6, 2013 at 03:00 am
I will certainly walk along and see the latest addition to front st, heaven knows it needed something special. Wow - I have been editing & manipulating photographs professionally for ten years & that looked like a sensational use of a software we use called photoshop (it's an adobe product) - I feel a bit silly though happy to learn Toronto architects are finally building interesting structures.
Alex / April 6, 2013 at 10:18 am
ATTN: Toronto

Killjoy / April 6, 2013 at 10:58 am
ATTN: Toronto - humorless cock anti harmless wit!
Daffy replying to a comment from Macs apple / April 7, 2013 at 01:36 pm
You're an idiot, and I agree with everyone else. I see that building everyday, my school is right there.
Ralph Lauren soldes / April 9, 2013 at 06:40 am
Lunettes de soleil tendance vers les wrap-around, des styles de ski. Bonnets et visi猫res sont les coiffures de choix.. Le troisi猫me film de Christopher Nolan Batman s茅rie, avec Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Michael Caine et Tom Hardy, est publi茅 Juillet 20. La photo est all茅 virale et maintenant des milliers de critiques appellent pour qu'elle puisse 锚tre tir茅.
Embrace / June 1, 2013 at 12:28 am
Love all these buildings!! Working downtown Toronto (at Royal York Hotel - one of the pictures), I see ALL these buildings on a regular basis - even the supposed "fake NYC" Flatiron Building that's located at Front/Wellington St and Church St. Who knew it was fake! It looks and feels real to me....